GAME #23: Gophers (15-7, 4-5) @ Purdue (13-9, 3-6) [BTN, 2/5, 7:30PM]

two bad possessions in the last couple of minutes. shot clock violation followed by a desperation 3 with the clock running out.

looked awful a lot like the previous regime during those two possessions.

I didn't watch the first half (running errands) and I was in a fairly good mood. All the second half and OTs did, what with the horrific biased reffing AGAIN and the piss-poor defensive rebounding AGAIN and the missed critical shots late in the game AGAIN, was piss me off and put me in a terrible mood. Still can't figure out why, when EE is in the floor the team takes the lead, and when he leaves the floor they lose the lead...so why again has he been sitting so much lately? I enjoyed seeing Mo's hustle today, but when you're lunging for loose balls out of your position, he leaves his man wide open when Purdue inevitably ends up with the ball. Also, does anyone on this team other than EE box out??

I don't think Elliot had even 5 rebound.

I started watching this game with 3 minutes left in regulation and what I saw was the most pathetic display of refereeing that I have ever seen. The Big Ten should be absolutely embarrassed at the referee product they put on the court today.

Uh, you don't watch much Gopher basketball, do you? This was "just another anti-Gopher basketball game" by the refs. Get used to it, after Indiana comes to the Barn you'll be repeating that phrase.

Why on earth do we not go 2 for 1 when we had the ball with about 55 seconds left in 3OT? What kind of strategy says: "you know what would be great? if we gave ourselves one less possession?"

Also, how many damn balls (rebounds/passes/loose balls) hit our players in our hands but were not corralled? Kudos to the guys for the way they tied it up a couple times to force more overtimes, but other than those few plays, this was just a crappy performance. If we give anything close to our A game, we win this one going away. I don't know where our boys went these last few games.

Finally, Purdue seemed hellbent on proving GW right by missing just about every clutch free throw they attempted but still winning the game. Maybe they really don't matter.

I started watching this game with 3 minutes left in regulation and what I saw was the most pathetic display of refereeing that I have ever seen. The Big Ten should be absolutely embarrassed at the referee product they put on the court today.

only if the refs would rebound for the Gophers maybe the rebounding wouldn't be so pathetic?

February is the worst month for Gopher fans. Basketball team collapses and we still have at least another month or two of really crappy weather.

Refs were absolutely terrible in this game, but we still should've won. I remember Mo missing the front end of a 1 and 1 with under a minute left in the 2nd.

On another note I cannot wait till Martin comes in next year.

I didn't watch the first half (running errands) and I was in a fairly good mood. All the second half and OTs did, what with the horrific biased reffing AGAIN and the piss-poor defensive rebounding AGAIN and the missed critical shots late in the game AGAIN, was piss me off and put me in a terrible mood.

Still can't figure out why, when EE is in the floor the team takes the lead, and when he leaves the floor they lose the lead...so why again has he been sitting so much lately? I enjoyed seeing Mo's hustle today, but when you're lunging for loose balls out of your position, he leaves his man wide open when Purdue inevitably ends up with the ball. Also, does anyone on this team other than EE box out??

I agree EE should've seen more time. I think he rubs Pitino the wrong way with all of his complaining and that earns him time on the bench. He needs to cut that out. But, he's the superior rebounder and defender and when all Mo is providing on offense is layups that EE could make it should be a no brainer.

EE is the same player as hammons if the officials let EE get away with hammons did today

The NW game is still what burns me. If we get even 25% of the calls Purdue got tonight, we win.

Ok, this team is probably no better than 7th or 8th place. Elliot is the only true center, Mo just doesn't play like a center. And our 4s are non existent. Maybe next year when Josh gets here.

We don't have a 4 who can rebound. That is a big problem. I was perplexed why EE and Mo weren't both on the floor in Purdue FT opps, as the O board over Joey King was awfully predictable. Gotta get the ball back before you can score, and there EE needed to be on the floor. That was game when the O board was given up. All it was was a forearm to the back, nothing a defender boxing out couldn't stop.

Uh, you don't watch much Gopher basketball, do you? This was "just another anti-Gopher basketball game" by the refs. Get used to it, after Indiana comes to the Barn you'll be repeating that phrase.

is this your go to post?

EE is the same player as hammons if the officials let EE get away with hammons did today

EE isn't coordinated enough in the post to even attempt the hook/chicken wing move. He really doesn't have a post game and gets blocked at the rim a lot for a 7 footer.

refs were terrible, lil dre got hacked all day with no calls, like that great shot he made in 3rd ot that should have been an and 1, or dre being fouled shooting but saying it was on the floor, or hammond completely clobbering our guys (like andre) for the rebounds, but we get called for the foul some how, and so on, just terrible officiating, one of the worst I have seen in a long time

Refs were absolutely terrible in this game, but we still should've won. I remember Mo missing the front end of a 1 and 1 with under a minute left in the 2nd.

On another note I cannot wait till Martin comes in next year.[/QUOTE

I cannot wait till we get a couple guys in here that have a killer instinct and aren't such chokers during crunch time...And WHY wasn't Malik Smith playing more??

The NW game is still what burns me. If we get even 25% of the calls Purdue got tonight, we win.

Correct - the Gophers would have slaughtered NW with even a portion of that bias.

I'm not usually the guy to complain about refs either, but they stole that game from us.

I cannot wait till we get a couple guys in here that have a killer instinct and aren't such chokers during crunch time...And WHY wasn't Malik Smith playing more??

Agreed. We desperately need a player who demand the ball at the end of a close game. We haven't had a player like that since Westbrook.

I counted 7 times from late in regulation and on the announcer calling, "Purdue got away with one there." Whether is were a push in the back, a travel, a chicken wing.....F***

Because Malik can't do anything besides throw up contested 3's. Good when it goes in, waste of the 5th man when he's off, which he was today.

I agree with that, but the pushing on the back for rebound, moving screens underneath and the ticky tack block fouls that EE gets Hammons didn't get any this game.

Hey, those Jr High math teachers and insurance adjusters are doing the best they can.

Because Malik can't do anything besides throw up contested 3's. Good when it goes in, waste of the 5th man when he's off, which he was today.

How predictable was it as a Gopher fan that he'd waste all his shooting in a L @Nebraska, then have none when needed in the future? He better get his head on straight and fast, because this team desperately needs him.

I counted 7 times from late in regulation and on the announcer calling, "Purdue got away with one there." Whether is were a push in the back, a travel, a chicken wing.....F***

And during that time he praised the refs and called them consistent. Apparently he doesn't pay attention to what comes out of his mouth.

It's the lack of killer instinct. Plenty of chances to take this game late. Plenty of chances to extend a lead earlier. They have trouble handling success in game. Whether it's blowing a 19 point lead in the first game or taking advantage of opportunities to win this one, they practically refuse to hack the head off the chicken - the mutant homicidal chicken that ends up killing them.

If you're Pitino, just try to convince them that they're not going to have another one of those Februaries.

I agree with that, but the pushing on the back for rebound, moving screens underneath and the ticky tack block fouls that EE gets Hammons didn't get any this game.

How about the strip from the floor - all ball, Purdue's line-drive shooter got sent to the line for a free 1-of-2, and that warmed that idiot up for a line-drive perimeter jumper next possession too.

Top Bottom