Gabe to Iowa State

If you guys would just be positive with your comments we might have a chance to get some local players sometimes you have to hold back your opinions to make things better you guys definitely aren’t business men or you would know this
Toss in some random punctuation here and there.

Could it be Gabe was burnt out from being here and just wants to start over. He seemed checked out before the injury
The Rutgers game provided evidence of that. Two weak and unforced turnovers at crunch time that contributed to the loss. His head wasn't in it for whatever reason.

If you guys would just be positive with your comments we might have a chance to get some local players sometimes you have to hold back your opinions to make things better you guys definitely aren’t business men or you would know this
People will laugh at this, but I agree. Lot of y'all need to bite your tongue's, going on social media after a tough loss and spewing out emotional comments towards a certain player are reason's why Minnesota kids don't want to play here with that target on their backs

People will laugh at this, but I agree. Lot of y'all need to bite your tongue's, going on social media after a tough loss and spewing out emotional comments towards a certain player are reason's why Minnesota kids don't want to play here with that target on their backs
Alright, let’s addem up. How many collective followers do you guys have on your burner accounts, the ones where you complain about college players? How many total interactions are you getting per game subtweeting Marcus fuller and Ryan James?

+/- 80 sound about right?

College kids don’t have time to read this crap we type. And if they did and it bugs em well deal with it.

College kids don’t have time to read this crap we type. And if they did and it bugs em well deal with it.
Steph Curry searches his name in twitter mentions, you don't think a high school or college player does that?

Do you think we're any different from other online fan bases who really care about the sport?

Alright, let’s addem up. How many collective followers do you guys have on your burner accounts, the ones where you complain about college players? How many total interactions are you getting per game subtweeting Marcus fuller and Ryan James?

+/- 80 sound about right?
None for me, have twitter with 0 tweets

Can’t really blame the kid. I think a lot of his shooting problems were mental and I’m sure at some point he needed a fresh start.

I'm a Cyclone and stopped watching even though I was bored and stuck at home isolating all winter. Cyclones were like the road Gophers, only worse, and for ALL games. It was something beyond a dumpster fire of a season. Not even sure how you claw back after it. Landing any quality P6 player is a minor miracle at this point. The last time ISU had a season this bad was 50 years ago and they bounced back quickly but that was a different era, players didn't transfer and the only immediate help was Juco players (which they did go with). Now hundreds of kids are moving around, no one is stuck sitting it out if they don't like the situation.
Thoughts on the TJO hire?

Thoughts on the TJO hire?

Maybe as good as they were going to get. It's not a great job right now. There is a faithful fan base that's crazy about Hilton Magic but the programs not in good shape right now nor is it as good a P5/6 job as the fans think. Our AD caught lightning in a bottle with the Hoiberg hire, this hire just needs to be okay and get us out of the basement. Hire might be good in the sense that there was a need for someone to hit the ground running and Otz has been at ISU before and had success in recruiting. First order of biz was to get in some transfers so we could actually have players next year (partly done with some decent transfers in) and to keep our best commit for 2021 (done). There aren't going to be any homeruns from the portal for a team coming off 0-18.

BTW, saw a couple of my fellow fans thinking this is some sort of inroad into Minnesota recruits. I don't, it's probably a one-off. Transfer Royce White worked out for Hoiberg but beyond that you have to go all the way back to Jake Sullivan to find a Minnesota player of note at ISU. It's not Big 12 country. New assistant Kyle Green recruited Minnesota kids to UNI but that's mid-major talent, not necessarily Big 10 or Big 12 level recruits. ISU used to recruit Minnesota well in WBB but not so lately with the Big 10 becoming a stronger women's conference.

Maybe as good as they were going to get. It's not a great job right now. There is a faithful fan base that's crazy about Hilton Magic but the programs not in good shape right now nor is it as good a P5/6 job as the fans think. Our AD caught lightning in a bottle with the Hoiberg hire, this hire just needs to be okay and get us out of the basement. Hire might be good in the sense that there was a need for someone to hit the ground running and Otz has been at ISU before and had success in recruiting. First order of biz was to get in some transfers so we could actually have players next year (partly done with some decent transfers in) and to keep our best commit for 2021 (done). There aren't going to be any homeruns from the portal for a team coming off 0-18.

BTW, saw a couple of my fellow fans thinking this is some sort of inroad into Minnesota recruits. I don't, it's probably a one-off. Transfer Royce White worked out for Hoiberg but beyond that you have to go all the way back to Jake Sullivan to find a Minnesota player of note at ISU. It's not Big 12 country. New assistant Kyle Green recruited Minnesota kids to UNI but that's mid-major talent, not necessarily Big 10 or Big 12 level recruits. ISU used to recruit Minnesota well in WBB but not so lately with the Big 10 becoming a stronger women's conference.
Campbell has absolutely no bones about recruiting Minnesota.

They honestly seem to offer every single Minnesota kid who gets a Dakota offer.

I believe this. He's probably had it in his head to try something different for some time. I'm guessing the installation of Johnson and Thorson made him think twice, but to quote the Jenny Lewis song, "I was already gone."
Not shocked he left to a certain degree but a little surprised by the destination. I would have expected him to try and go to a successful program with a legit shot of making the NCAA tournament. ISU is not that team as they were way worse than even the Gophers were last year.

Obviously basketball turnarounds can happen somewhat quickly with the right players but Iowa State looks like a team with a long way to go in order to become competitive.

Can’t really blame the kid. I think a lot of his shooting problems were mental and I’m sure at some point he needed a fresh start.
The problem with this is that the "fresh start" easily could have been a new coach, a new starting point guard, and a bunch of new teammates.

Maybe as good as they were going to get. It's not a great job right now. There is a faithful fan base that's crazy about Hilton Magic but the programs not in good shape right now nor is it as good a P5/6 job as the fans think.

I think Iowa State fans have good reason to maintain their optimism. Yes, the last two years have been bad (with one of them being almost unbelievably bad) but the program was in the NCAA tournament in 7 of the prior 8 years. Even the fired coach took them 3 times in 6 years. In fact, since the program hired Johnny Orr, every Iowa State coach except Greg McDermott has enjoyed some success.

The more I think about it I would wonder if Gabe really benefits from a change of scenery. His shooting has not improved and with a bit of the yips, maybe a clean slate is what he feels he needs.

The problem with this is that the "fresh start" easily could have been a new coach, a new starting point guard, and a bunch of new teammates.

Apparently that was not enough for him. Perhaps he wanted all of those things but a new location might have been the thing he wanted most. It's not at all unusual for people wanting a fresh start to move to another location.

The more I think about it I would wonder if Gabe really benefits from a change of scenery. His shooting has not improved and with a bit of the yips, maybe a clean slate is what he feels he needs.

We also have to remember that he is a young man in his early twenties. People in their fifties or older, for good reasons, tend to be resistant to making big changes in their environments unless they are compelled to do that while younger people are more likely to embrace the adventure. I strongly doubt Gabe believes that moving by itself will improve his shot. He attended and played at a university in his home metro. Now he has the opportunity to do something different and maybe he is looking forward to that.

I think he just wanted a fresh start out of hometown spotlight. He was treated terribly by locals because of his shooting and people overlooked his defense.
Honestly he wasn’t treated terribly at all. People on message boards said he had a bad shooting percentage. This was a fact.

if he couldn’t emotionally handle it he should move on. Both he and the team better off parting ways.

Maybe Gabe is on track to graduate from the U so he can spend a year somewhere else. He certainly had some good moments. I don't understand why everyone feels like he was such a good defender. If so why was he never on an ALL defensive team? Or maybe he was?

If so why was he never on an ALL defensive team? Or maybe he was?

He was not. While I don't think that is a strongly reliable measure of a player's defensive ability, his defensive prowess was pretty well hyped so it must be said that his performances combined with the hype didn't lead those voters to select him for the all defensive team in any of his three years.

Apparently that was not enough for him. Perhaps he wanted all of those things but a new location might have been the thing he wanted most. It's not at all unusual for people wanting a fresh start to move to another location.
Been there, done that in life. I get it to some degree. But I also believe in completing what you started. Did Gabe graduate already? If not, he didn't fulfill the latter.

A bunch of people behind keyboards taking down young people who are trying their best; what a sad state (not geographically speaking).

You are absolutely right of course. A sad state of affairs our society finds itself in, but the smaller point in relation to this thread is that I seriously doubt that is why Gabe is leaving. I am sure he knows they have keyboards in Ames too.

Ryan James from Gopher Illustrated was on KFAN with Gaard on Sunday morning.

He said (paraphrasing) - after digging into the situation, this is something Gabe has been looking at for a long time - well before the coaching change. Gabe just wanted a fresh start - for school, sports, life, the whole package. No reflection on Johnson or Thorson - but by the time the new coaches were hired, Gabe had already made up his mind to leave. At least that's what James believes.

on the Gophers in general, James seemed fairly positive. He said Johnson will bring in players to get through next year, but it's all about the 2022 recruiting class in MN, and he said Johnson is working hard on a lot of the top players in that class, and has a shot to land several of the better players in the state.

James also raved about Thorson as a coach, and the other new assistant.

Top Bottom