Gabe to Iowa State

Somebody explain this to me.

No spin zone? No homer glasses opinion? ok.

1) Gabe is not the type of player Ben wants here. Not gritty enough. So Ben told him this much.

or

2) Gabe does not want to play for BJ or he does not believe in the vision that BJ has for the Gophers.

One of the best B1G defenders is now gone. Everyone said this staff, BJ, etc, is amazing at connecting with kids and we were gonna start building a wall around MN.

Best way to describe this, not a good start for the Ben Johnson era. To me Gabe is the type of kid we need to keep.

Maybe Gabe wanted to leave the Twin Cities, and Ames had the closest power 6 school.

All this talk about gabe getting trashed, is that even real? Besides gopher hole where basically everyone gets trashed at some point, where has he been disrespected? Is it weird that he waited until after Thorson was announced or just a coincidence?

Umm, Wisconsin inquired on Gabe. They spoke to Gabe.

I haven't seen anything that they officially "wanted" Gabe with an offer.
With Wisconsin basketball in need of pieces heading into the 2021-2022 season and the transfer portal as full as it has ever been, the Badgers are making the case to players who may fit the mold.

One of those names is Gabe Kalscheur

Despite his struggles this past year, there is good reason to believe that he can help nearly any contender in America.

Iowa State is recruiting Minnesota SG transfer Gabe Kalscheur (@GabrielKalsche1), his AAU coach tells me. Wisconsin, Georgia and Louisiana Tech are also involved.

Ok, he was being "recruited" by Wisconsin. So he was good enough to be recruited by them.

Somebody explain this to me.

Well, I'll give some possible theories anyway:

1) easy commute back and forth from the cities for weekend trips;
2) still gets to wear some gold in the uniform;
3) a lot of Minnesotans go there so he may know some people;
3) if he was feeling the pressure of expectations here, you can't get any less pressure than going to school in another state, from another conference, that finished 2-22 last year.

Well, I'll give some possible theories anyway:

1) easy commute back and forth from the cities for weekend trips;
2) still gets to wear some gold in the uniform;
3) a lot of Minnesotans go there so he may know some people;
3) if he was feeling the pressure of expectations here, you can't get any less pressure than going to school in another state, from another conference, that finished 2-22 last year.
4) larger diameter basketball hoops.

Kalscheur, who started the first 88 games of his career, has missed the last six games and is out indefinitely after breaking a finger in his right hand (shooting hand) when the team was practicing at Maryland on Feb. 16. The junior is Minnesota's best defender and team's third leading scorer (9.2 points per game). He ranks sixth in school history in made threes (180) and attempted threes (521). He has scored 916 points for Minnesota and is 84 shy away of scoring 1,000 for his career

Gonna miss him.

Kid couldn't make shots, which was his primary function on offense. Decent defender, but his shooting percentages were awful for a guy that was supposedly a two-guard. Wish him well, but if we can't get a better shooting two-guard than this, it's going to be a really ugly tenure for Johnson.

I think he just wanted a fresh start out of hometown spotlight. He was treated terribly by locals because of his shooting and people overlooked his defense.
Yeah he wanted the fresh start because of the reasons I put. People can disagree all they want about if it’s warranted criticism, but it’s a fact.

Kid couldn't make shots, which was his primary function on offense. Decent defender, but his shooting percentages were awful for a guy that was supposedly a two-guard. Wish him well, but if we can't get a better shooting two-guard than this, it's going to be a really ugly tenure for Johnson.

Yeah, I thought Johnson would be able to help him out. He was more than decent, none of the players he was asked to guard came comes to hitting their averages when Gabe was on them.

I think he just wanted a fresh start out of hometown spotlight. He was treated terribly by locals because of his shooting and people overlooked his defense.

How could anyone overlook his defense? One was constantly reminded of it by television announcers and so many people posting on this board.

Yeah he wanted the fresh start because of the reasons I put. People can disagree all they want about if it’s warranted criticism, but it’s a fact.
How about people just wish him well without the digs. He clearly knows how to play the game. He is a smart player and smart players have a way of figuring it out. Hopefully he can get it done for Iowa St.

Yeah, I thought Johnson would be able to help him out. He was more than decent, none of the players he was asked to guard came comes to hitting their averages when Gabe was on them.
You could make the argument that his defense off-set his offensive struggles, but at a certain point, he needed to come out of his funk and he never did. Tough to stick with a two-guard who is mostly a defender in today's Big 10.

He certainly wasn't garbage, but he's a backup quality player who is over appreciated.

Top Bottom