Gabe in Portal

I’d bet he’s not be happy with his shooting either.

I'm sure he's not and that might be one of the reasons he's transferring. Better to start in a new location where nobody has much feeling about you one way or the other rather than returning to the same location where fans have definite expectations and are either waiting for you to succeed or fail depending upon their views.

Imagine if he made just 9 more 3s. He would be at 33%. I don't understand how we turned Gabe into Michael Hurt

Or, if he had driven into the paint more often, hit a pull up or got fouled. One thing that never deserted him was his foul shooting. He always was very good at that.

We do not want to lose players like this.
Sure. No one went out of their way, before the fact saying "I sure hope Gabe transfers!". No one.

Comments only came out of the woodwork after it was known he was in the portal.

To your comment here: yeah but it's no different than when initially recruiting high star kids from MN. They're only going to be interested in coming here (staying here) if we win. Nothing else.

It was always interesting listening to media members, especially Andy Katz and that annoying ex indiana head coach. They always raved about Gabe and said he was such an outside threat. Watching opposing teams guard him too like he was. Even though his 3pt% was bad he still spaced the floor. Going somewhere else would be a fresh start because everyone believes you're a good shooter, because that's what they've been told about you.

I’d bet he’s not be happy with his shooting either. If he wasn't angry then yeah we wouldn’t want him back. I’d really be interested like the post you replied to said and see the difference if he’s getting more threes in transition or in some sort of rhythm more consistently
It didn’t seem to me anything mattered.

I am a fan of Gabe, but I think it is telling that he is looking at Wisconsin, LA Tech and Georgia. He’s a low end starter or bench player on a good team and there is nothing wrong with that.

I am a fan of Gabe, but I think it is telling that he is looking at Wisconsin, LA Tech and Georgia. He’s a low end starter or bench player on a good team and there is nothing wrong with that.
Also hearing from Iowa State and Clemson

Gabe can shoot. You can tell with his form. And he has a past track record.

I blame a lot of it on the offense. He didn't get a ton of open looks, and when he did, it wasn't in the flow of offense. Rhythm has a lot to do with shooting.

When Gabe was elite, the over-dribbler Carr wasn't eligible to play.

I also wonder if the three point line getting moved out hurt him?

I want him back personally.
I want gabe back, but he had a ton of open looks! He never hit any of them, but he had good looks.

I want gabe back, but he had a ton of open looks! He never hit any of them, but he had good looks.
I want him back. I think he gets his shot back in a new offense and he is better with 25 minutes instead of 35. I think he gets gassed from defense playing that long.

Gabe was obviously off last year but I have never seen an offense help out its wings less than Pitino's offense. Our definition of "open looks" was different than most programs. We set virtually zero back screens for shooters, we seemed indifferent timing and flow. This isn't to defend Gabe's shooting, but I can't think of a single player who didn't become a worse shooter in our program.

Hero ball followed by the occasional awkward kick out isn't good offense.

I think Gabe will be solid elsewhere. He defends and I'd bet a lot of money his shooting comes back.

Yes and no....if the 25% shooter shoots less, he actually hurts the team less and his defense is even more valuable then.
Unless the defense collapses on the inside players, daring the shooting guards to shoot-which they did, and missed, over and over. Lacking good shooting from the wings impacts the whole offense negatively. Your analysis ignores this completely.

Gabe can shoot. You can tell with his form. And he has a past track record.

I blame a lot of it on the offense. He didn't get a ton of open looks, and when he did, it wasn't in the flow of offense. Rhythm has a lot to do with shooting.

When Gabe was elite, the over-dribbler Carr wasn't eligible to play.

I also wonder if the three point line getting moved out hurt him?

I want him back personally.
Wrong about not getting open looks. He got a TON of open looks this year and missed too often. He wasn’t the only one though. The whole team pretty much stunk with jump shots. As bad as he shot, a part of me wants to see him come back and turn the tables and light it up next year. Mostly because he seems like such a hard worker and good guy.

Gabe was obviously off last year but I have never seen an offense help out its wings less than Pitino's offense. Our definition of "open looks" was different than most programs. We set virtually zero back screens for shooters, we seemed indifferent timing and flow. This isn't to defend Gabe's shooting, but I can't think of a single player who didn't become a worse shooter in our program.

Hero ball followed by the occasional awkward kick out isn't good offense.

I think Gabe will be solid elsewhere. He defends and I'd bet a lot of money his shooting comes back.
Coffey, Oturu, Joey King, Mason all got better but overall your point is correct.

Coffey, Oturu, Joey King, Mason all got better but overall your point is correct.
Amir Coffey's shot got drastically worse his senior year (largely because he was forced to play PG). He shot 30% from 3 his JR season (37% his SO season).

King and Mason's numbers slightly decreased.

Oturu did get better.

I want him back. I think he gets his shot back in a new offense and he is better with 25 minutes instead of 35. I think he gets gassed from defense playing that long.
Good point. I think you are right on this!

Amir Coffey's shot got drastically worse his senior year (largely because he was forced to play PG). He shot 30% from 3 his JR season (37% his SO season).

Oturu did get better.
Selective memory.... Amir wanted to be PG to improve his ball handling for the NBA... Remember how he only was going to play for a school that would let him play guard?

Wisconsin? Sacrilege!

Sign there and all Minnesota privileges are forever revoked!

Selective memory.... Amir wanted to be PG to improve his ball handling for the NBA... Remember how he only was going to play for a school that would let him play guard?

That may be the case, but it was clearly not the best thing for Amir's shooting % nor his overall draft stock/development.

Oturu did get better.

I'm not sure what numbers you're looking at but True Shooting Percentage is the best measure of a player's shooting because that encompasses all types of shooting (2s, 3s, and free throws) and weights those accordingly. Joey King was quite a good shooter here and his TS% was remarkably stable over his three year career at MN: .600, .608, .605 for soph, jr, and senior years respectively.

Mason's corresponding numbers for his four years were: .504, .493, .494, and .526. So, Mason was never a particularly good shooter here but the senior mark clearly was his best.

Coffey's corresponding numbers were: .559, .566, and .537. He was a good, but not great, shooter and you are correct that his last year was the lowest of the three.

Oturu was good as a freshman (.568) and even better as a soph (.612) so, yes, he improved significantly in that measure.

To put these numbers in perspective, the top marks in the Big Ten this year were:

1. Kofi Cockburn: .637
2. Hunter Dickinson: .628
3. Luka Garza: .620
4. Joe Weiskamp: .616
5. Donta Scott: .615

Last edited:

LA Tech?? I know they had a really solid NIT team this year, so could be looking to do some damage next year. Might be right up his alley ... purely in the sense of the team and what it can accomplish.

But dang. That's right in the thick of redneck country, there.

Of course. The classic Minnesota thing. If he stays, he'll suck. If he leaves, he'll be great.

Oturu did get better.
He only played 3 seasons. He never had a senior year.

That may be the case, but it was clearly not the best thing for Amir's shooting % nor his overall draft stock/development.

Are we sure it was or wasn't? If he played on the wing and shot a higher percentage do we think he would've got drafted? I don't think it hurt Amir that bad to run the wing and be that Pt. Forward type.

Are we sure it was or wasn't? If he played on the wing and shot a higher percentage do we think he would've got drafted? I don't think it hurt Amir that bad to run the wing and be that Pt. Forward type.

I mean, it likely had a negative effect on his shooting % and efficiency numbers.

It never made sense for him to spend time in college playing a position that he'd never play at the next level.

Top Bottom