Gabe in Portal

I'm thinking of that old saying: "No news is good news."

This is simply the new normal. If a player is confident that he'll be welcomed back from the portal if he withdraws (like Gabe certainly would be), then there's very little downside to entering and seeing who reaches out. It's going to happen more, and more, and more.

I fully expect Gabe to be in the starting lineup for the Gophers first game this upcoming season.

From Ryan James in a public comment on 247: Gabe is doing this to look at some other potential options I am told. Just in case he looks at Minnesota, looks at a few others, and feels something else fits him better. This has been considered by Gabe for a long time. Long before Johnson was named coach. In fact, Johnson is giving the Gophers a chance here. If not for his hiring Gabe would likely leave. Gabe and Johnson have a good relationship and their is a strong chance he returns.

This is simply the new normal. If a player is confident that he'll be welcomed back from the portal if he withdraws (like Gabe certainly would be), then there's very little downside to entering and seeing who reaches out. It's going to happen more, and more, and more.

I fully expect Gabe to be in the starting lineup for the Gophers first game this upcoming season.
Unless, you know, you were happy with your role on the team that season and there was no indication it would likle change the next season.

Thankfully Johnson was critical in Gabe's recruitment so there's no chance he goes elsewhere!

His boy Omersa left. So it does make sense that he was considering it too.

Another example of things going sour with Pitino. No way in hell I thought Gabe would leave

I guess getting unlimited rope to basically go 1-10 and never lose minutes was not a good fit. Hard to play for Pitino if you are not winning it seems. I assumed Gabe was basically the only lock to return, makes things interesting for sure!

From Ryan James in a public comment on 247: Gabe is doing this to look at some other potential options I am told. Just in case he looks at Minnesota, looks at a few others, and feels something else fits him better. This has been considered by Gabe for a long time. Long before Johnson was named coach. In fact, Johnson is giving the Gophers a chance here. If not for his hiring Gabe would likely leave. Gabe and Johnson have a good relationship and their is a strong chance he returns.
I wonder what he is looking for?

Another example of things going sour with Pitino. No way in hell I thought Gabe would leave
This is an amazing spin. Guys are leaving because the coach they apparently didn't like left and the coach they loved was hired. Incredible.

But Pitino isn’t here anymore. Bad look as it would seem that the longer it takes to enter the portal the more certain you would be about departing. Either because you don’t like what is coming or the coach doesn’t see a place for you. There can be no way that that there hasn’t been communication between player and coach. If not an April Fools joke, something bad is happening or Gabe doesn’t want to be part of a rebuild.

Maybe they're going to win the Summit League next year at UST? Hey, Oral Roberts made it pretty far!

(in all seriousness, I don't believe UST is eligible for DI post season next year)

Any chance he ends up in New Mexico?

Ouch. This one stings a bit. I sure hope he chooses to stay.

Top Bottom