Frozen Four Predictions

Ok No. 1: What a win by the Gophers! Figured they'd have the advantage but so happy to see such a great performance.

No. 2: Wow, this UND vs UMD game has been a battle. This last OT period though, it's clear players are gassed. No issue here, though. popped another beer and ready for more hockey!

The ND/UMD game reminds me of when they used to play 2 Game Total Goal Series to advance to the Frozen 4. They're just playing it in 1 night (or soon to be morning).

Crazy, the Gopher game finished first.

I wonder, who won the ACL Cornhole Championship? Nevers?

Wow....that game. UMD pulls it off at the beginning of the 5th OT.

Skip ahead to the 14:00 minute mark for the UMD game winner. I'd dozed off by then.

The UND goalie wishes he could have that one back. Goes to show good things can happen if you put the puck on net. SHOOT THE PUCK!

The UND goalie wishes he could have that one back. Goes to show good things can happen if you put the puck on net. SHOOT THE PUCK!
That offsides call to remove the would-be game winner in the 1st OT sure seemed like bunk. Worse, some jackoff ND fan poured a drink over all the UMD players' heads...and then they all had to go out and play four more periods. Everyone else (but me) in agreement that taking away that goal was the right thing to do?

That offsides call to remove the would-be game winner in the 1st OT sure seemed like bunk. Worse, some jackoff ND fan poured a drink over all the UMD players' heads...and then they all had to go out and play four more periods. Everyone else (but me) in agreement that taking away that goal was the right thing to do?
didn't like the call. the point of the offsides review is to fix the egregious ones, not to catch a single frame difference and debate whether or not the guy had control of the puck. clearly you could tell it in no way affected the play on the ice

Tonight at 7 on ESPN2, the Gophers play grown up little brother Minnesota State-Mankato to try to go to their first Frozen Four since 2014. Like the game against wisconsin was the biggest in modern Big Ten history, this game is clearly the biggest game for Gopher hockey since the 2014 title game.

Mankato (21-4-1) has been very strong recently with four straight WCHA regular season titles and four out of the last six. They also have four conference tournament titles since the new WCHA was formed in 2013-14. Beyond that they also have the most NCAA wins in the last ten seasons. Crazily enough, they got their first ever NCAA tournament win yesterday with the comeback and OT win over Quinnipiac.

Head coach Mike Hastings was an assistant at the U for one season, 2008-09. Motzko and Hastings were teammates at SCSU and remain close friends. The Mavericks have 11 Minnesotans on the roster, including four of their top six scorers. The all time series record is 37-16-6 in favor of the Gophers. The Mavericks have owned the last five, though, at 4-1 since meeting in the short lived Minnesota tournament at the X on 1/31/2016.

Go Gophers! It's going to be a tough one! UMD has booked their place in the Frozen Four, SCSU has a chance, so it would be great to see three Minnesota teams out of the last four (there have never even been two before) including THE U!

UMD survived that. Absolute survival.

FUCK UND.
What a great game. My wife couldn't take it anymore so she went to bed, just before the start of the last overtime. 2 minutes in, Duluth wins. From the bedroom she yells... "it's just like the Duluth East state tournament game. I go to bed and then they score."
I said "You should have gone to bed earlier." 😁

It was so great to see UMD win. Hard to see anyone lose a classic like this, however. Everyone is gassed. UMD goalie leaves due to cramping. Backup takes over. What a marathon game.

didn't like the call. the point of the offsides review is to fix the egregious ones, not to catch a single frame difference and debate whether or not the guy had control of the puck. clearly you could tell it in no way affected the play on the ice
Agreed. I was disappointed with the no goal call.

Agreed. I was disappointed with the no goal call.
When the play took place I knew any goal scored would get waved off. As a former hockey ref, this rule has been in place for decades. You have to have control of the puck in a situation like that. You can't start having gray areas on an off side call otherwise it opens up a can of worms.

As a former ref, you need clear rules on the offside call. Admittedly though, the rule for the center red line for icing has a gray area. This area is not as critical though as the offside call. So get on me for the icing call, but don't for the blue line as that zone needs specific rules.

When the play took place I knew any goal scored would get waved off. As a former hockey ref, this rule has been in place for decades. You have to have control of the puck in a situation like that. You can't start having gray areas on an off side call otherwise it opens up a can of worms.

As a former ref, you need clear rules on the offside call. Admittedly though, the rule for the center red line for icing has a gray area. This area is not as critical though as the offside call. So get on me for the icing call, but don't for the blue line as that zone needs specific rules.
I understand. The stop action capabilities showed offsides by an inch, which made the no goal a correct call. 5 years ago, I don't think this even gets reviewed.
In any case, the no goal lead to an epic game...and the good guys won. 🤜🤛

Cloud gotta pick it up. They had 1 good flurry but otherwise are close to getting trucked.

Need to get some momentum.

Cloud gotta pick it up. They had 1 good flurry but otherwise are close to getting trucked.

Need to get some momentum.

Admittedly...I missed the first ten minutes of the game...but from what I saw....the Huskies were in control for the majority of the second ten minutes. Shots were equal at 11. How were they "close to getting trucked"?

Either way....got a bad feeling going forward. Sucky advantage for BC not having to play yesterday.

Admittedly...I missed the first ten minutes of the game...but from what I saw....the Huskies were in control for the majority of the second ten minutes. Shots were equal at 11. How were they "close to getting trucked"?

Either way....got a bad feeling going forward. Sucky advantage for BC not having to play yesterday.

I think 5 of their shots were on that one flurry in front of the net. BC had the puck for basically the entire first half(which is what you apparently missed). Even the second half they controlled the pace for most of it.

But I think overall its a positive. BC has had a PP already and momentum and only got 1. And Cloud while they probably get down more than most good teams would like. Are really solid playing down 1.

I think 5 of their shots were on that one flurry in front of the net. BC had the puck for basically the entire first half(which is what you apparently missed). Even the second half they controlled the pace for most of it.

But I think overall its a positive. BC has had a PP already and momentum and only got 1. And Cloud while they probably get down more than most good teams would like. Are really solid playing down 1.

Not sure where you get that they controlled the pace of the second half. Cloud easily doubled their zone time there. Possibly tripled it.

Brodzinski down less than a minute into the third. That is very bad.

Not sure where you get that they controlled the pace of the second half. Cloud easily doubled their zone time there. Possibly tripled it.

You're watching a different game then.

But this period things are tilting the otherway. Cloud needs to get one to go or at least draw a penalty.

Looks like Bob played mind games last night. McManus is in.

You're watching a different game then.

But this period things are tilting the otherway. Cloud needs to get one to go or at least draw a penalty.

I'm watching the correct game. Are you?

Top Bottom