Former Gophers QB Phillip Nelson arrested in his hometown of Mankato for assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

This doesn't mean they necessarily knew each other. A "famous" person that PN is I bet he has well over 1000 friends on facebook. Hell i'm not popular at all but I accumulated over 700 is college some how so I bet PN has more than 2000 "friends" on facebook. Doesn't mean he actually knows all of them.
Exactly where in my post did I imply that they know each other? I merely pointed out what was reported by a media outlet.

Exactly where in my post did I imply that they know each other? I merely pointed out what was reported by a media outlet.

Your whole post implied that due to there being multiple posts immediately prior to yours discussing whether or not they knew each other. I was just pointing out you don't have to know someone to be friends with them on facebook.

Your whole post implied that due to there being multiple posts immediately prior to yours discussing whether or not they knew each other. I was just pointing out you don't have to know someone to be friends with them on facebook.

You are wrong. It wasn't what I was implying at all. I was forwarding something I had read.

What a stupid thing for their attorney to pass along. Are the folks dissappointed their son got drunk and stupid and nearly ( so far ) killed a guy?

Well I would assume they aren't making any statements about the incident, and if they happened to say they were disappointed in their kid for almost killing a guy it would insinuate guilt.

Basically, the media needs something new and fresh to report on, and they happened to pick this quote. I don't think anybody should delve too much into it.

Just wanted to drop back in and see how "stupid" you think my take is now:

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/...mpelling_self-defense_case_rosenbaum_says.php

Rosenbaum isn't a criminal lawyer, and he neglected to mention that Nelson had a duty to retreat if possible. Rosenbaum didn't equate that into his reasoning. He presents a theory that is somewhat plausible, but it is weaker when you add in the duty. So you know, a duty is a legal obligation.

Now go away.

Yeah, the guy laying on the ground, not moving, is an obvious threat!

Nelson is toast.

Rosenbaum and Fleming have made a lot of money being a lot smarter about the law than I am. They are both excellent attorneys and their arguments are at least plausible, but I believe fall short of being convincing. This will all depend on how it plays out during the trial as the two teams recreate the scene from their clients' perspective. Juries have their own minds, so it's anyone's guess how things will end up.

I will say this. If the video is admissible, that will be a tough blow to Nelson. Hard to defend kicking a guy who appears to be out cold. Regardless of what led up to that point, I think that image will be difficult for the jury to shake.

Would you trust your case to someone who's practice is 80% Civil? The person I would use does 80% Criminal cases and specializes in use of force defense. Just because defense can be made, doesn't mean it'll be successful, I'd want the opinion of someone that practices in the area.

Rosenbaum theories are as credible in this field, as Don King's " tax lawyer" was in defending Mike Tyson's rape charge. I think we all know how that turned out.

Now go away.

Bud, I'd take RR's take over yours any day of the week, at least he's had experience in the field. It's not my fault you spent a lot of money to further educate yourself in the over-saturated field of law. Have fun paying those loans off til your 40; in the meantime, you are really putting it to use on GopherHole trying to impress anonymous message boarders! :clap:

Bud, I'd take RR's take over yours any day of the week, at least he's had experience in the field. It's not my fault you spent a lot of money to further educate yourself in the over-saturated field of law. Have fun paying those loans off til your 40; in the meantime, you are really putting it to use on GopherHole trying to impress anonymous message boarders! :clap:

I'll give you credit, you really are a good troll.

Seek out John Wayne Bobbitt, you seem to have a need to be bigger than everyone else and state how you're richer. At least you know you can out do Mr. Bobbitt.

In law school, they teach the correct contraction of you are is you're. Your implies ownership, and in legal matters that can get dicey. Dicey, by the way, is not a legal term.

In law school, they teach the correct contraction of you are is you're. Your implies ownership, and in legal matters that can get dicey. Dicey, by the way, is not a legal term.

I am so glad to hear this. Thanks, Goodass. :banghead::banghead:

An updated statement from the Kolstad family:

Here is the statement in full:

Isaac remains in critical condition at Mayo Clinic Health System in Mankato.

Due to the injuries Isaac sustained early last Sunday morning, his brain had severe bruising and swelling, increasing the pressure within his skull to life-threatening levels. In order to relieve the swelling, he required emergency surgery on his brain early Tuesday morning. Isaac had a significant amount of his brain tissue that was no longer viable removed during that procedure.

Even though the surgery was successful, the swelling in Isaac’s brain remains significant; leaving him at high risk for further injury and potentially additional surgical procedures. Isaac’s lungs also sustained severe injury, resulting in the inability to breathe on his own. He also sustained a lack of oxygen to his brain.

Isaac continues to be in a medically induced coma, utilizing life support to keep him breathing. Yesterday, Friday, May 16, Isaac underwent his second major surgery, a Tracheotomy operation. This helps manage his breathing while on life support.

Isaac’s care team of neurosurgeons, physicians, nurses, therapists and others are doing everything they possibly can each day to keep Isaac alive and fighting. We are blessed to have Mayo Clinic care so close to home for Isaac. There is no doubt in our minds he is receiving the very best care available.

We want to thank everyone for their support and ongoing efforts to help our family. We cannot begin to express our gratitude. As Mankato natives, we are so proud of our community and are incredibly inspired by the things going on around us. Your continued prayers and encouragement are needed and greatly appreciated.

We would ask members of the news media and others to continue to respect our request and need for privacy at this time. We have requested that no further information (beyond his medical condition) be released. Thank you for your understanding and continued thoughts and prayers for Isaac, our family and all others who are involved in this situation.

#22strong
The Kolstad Family

http://www.startribune.com/local/259665931.html

Huge Sunday STrib story: Philip Nelson's sudden fall from playmaker to pariah

A football cradled under his left arm and a smile radiating behind his facemask, Philip *Nelson pumped his fist and picked his way through a swarming, jubilant crowd on a crisp sun-kissed, autumn Saturday.

One of Minnesota’s most prolific prep passers ever, Nelson had just quarterbacked the Gophers past a football powerhouse, Nebraska no less, for the second of four straight victories last fall — their longest Big Ten winning streak in 40 years. His father and girlfriend, decked out in maroon and gold, elbowed through the throng to share the euphoria.

Less than seven months later, on a rainy spring Monday in Mankato, Nelson bowed his head and avoided eye contact with his parents, who sat behind him in a Blue Earth County courtroom in their hometown. His ankles and wrists shackled, he faced assault charges in orange jail garb for allegedly kicking Isaac Kolstad, a defenseless and unconscious young father, in the head when a scuffle erupted into violence at closing time in a downtown area known as the Bar-muda Triangle.

Nelson, 20, was promptly cut from his new college team, Rutgers, as people in Mankato spent a stunned week trying to make sense of a senseless twist of events that left Kolstad, 24, struggling to survive brain injuries and Nelson’s once-story*book career in shambles.

A story of a nasty fight outside a bar, which might have attracted scant attention, mushroomed into a national story with a well-known quarterback thrust into the glare of a different kind of spotlight. All for decisions, clouded by alcohol, made in a span of seconds.

Later in the article:

The Texas Bowl was particularly humiliating. Nelson misfired badly and got benched after two series in favor of Mitch Leidner.

Three weeks after the bowl game, Nelson went to Kill’s office seeking answers. According to people familiar with the discussion, Nelson asked for assurance that he’d be the clear No. 1 quarterback heading into his junior year. Kill shook his head and told him he’d have to win the job.

Instead, Nelson announced he was transferring, looking for a more pass-centered offense. Pat Nelson, who tightly manages his son’s career, said they were contemplating the move long before the bowl game.

http://www.startribune.com/local/259677211.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Reading that story makes me feel even worse about all the crap said on this forum. Sad situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom