Flip wants the job! Per Flips Funkadlic on KFAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure either smart or saunders is the perfect candidate. Man, I watched vcu the other night and it wasn't pretty. Not so sure its not a Monson thing all over agin. I think i lean towards flip because of the nba experience. I believe that would have an impact with highly touted recruit who all think the college is a pit stop on the way to the nba.

Tubby is done. This team was his best chance to put together a top tier effort.

None of us know for sure, but my gut tells me Teague and Ellis are more 'plugged in' than Maturi.:)

Might be a chance that a prospect might be more eager to work for Teague than Joel.

The AD at Northern State is probably more 'plugged in' than Maturi.

Can anyone remember Johnny Kundla? He went from NBA to coach the Gophers.

Im not sure either smart or saunders is the perfect candidate. Man, I watched vcu the other night and it wasn't pretty. Not so sure its not a Monson thing all over agin. I think i lean towards flip because of the nba experience. I believe that would have an impact with highly touted recruit who all think the college is a pit stop on the way to the nba.

Tubby is done. This team was his best chance to put together a top tier effort.

I've seen 3 VCU games this year. One was a dominating performance against a reasonably solid Alabama team. One was forgettable, but I believe they won. And the other was a team that could not score in the halfcourt, and pulled out a close win purely due to forcing TO's... I have my doubts as to whether that was a fluke, or if it was something of a pattern of a team/scheme that needs to get out to score (which reminds me of a certain other coach).

I think I would still be very excited with Shaka as a hire, but I do not believe him to be a can't-miss hire or quite in the same class as Stevens... I think there's a possibility that his scheme would need to change significantly to work in the B10. But maybe not- I wouldn't mind the chance to see it, and he seems like he'd be willing to make adjustments if he had to. But like others have said, all we can do is wait and see.

It is obvious from listening to Flip each week that he would like the Gopher job.

He definitely knows basketball and it is widely accepted that he is a great basketball mind. I really think his style is more suited for college than it was for the pros. He loves to teach the game and develop players. That was one of the problems in Chicago was that the veteran team did buy the teaching style. In college he will be able to work with the player and they will move on before they tire of the instruction.

He will not have a problem recruiting. The good players all want to learn how to play in the pros and he can sure sell that experience to the players. I think he would have a good shot at landing the big 3. The school could stipulate to him that he needs to bring in a successor on his staff.

Shaka's whole "havoc" system is predicated on defense creating offense. It would be fun to watch when it works, but against teams with two or more ball handlers we would have a team a lot like what we have now. The bigger question about shaka is if he would have the budget to assemble a staff that could back fill his offensive shortcomings.

How does anyone know that Saunders would be a "great" recruiter? Because people want him to be? He has never had to recruit on any kind of level (unless GV Luth college counts 30 years ago) so I am not sure why people think he is the obvious answer...

Not saying he's the obvious answer, but he does have seven years as a D-1 assistant. 20 years ago, yes. But he has recruited at a D-1 level.

Having just listened to the podcast cast, I do not see anything that would lead me to believe that Flip wants or doesn't want the position, if it comes available. That said, Flip Saunders would be just as likely, if not more likely to be able to recruit the top end of the 2014 class. Jahil Okafor would be possiblely in the mix if Tyus has any interest in staying home. My hunch is only someone .who could play the NBA card like Flip could do. will be able to land the states top talent, Only time would tell if that translates into big time success.

Having just listened to the podcast cast, I do not see anything that would lead me to believe that Flip wants or doesn't want the position, if it comes available. That said, Flip Saunders would be just as likely, if not more likely to be able to recruit the top end of the 2014 class. Jahil Okafor would be possibly in the mix if Tyus has any interest in staying home. My hunch is only someone .who could play the NBA card like Flip could do. will be able to land the states top talent, Only time would tell if that translates into big time success.

Flip is a smooth talker and could use his NBA connections to lure recruits and sell parents on his mentoring/ watching over their kids. He can coach at any level, that should never be a question. As far as recruiting, he has the passion for the program, I don't think he would just send his assistance to do his dirty work. At least for the first few years he would hit the ground hard. Flip wants to rebuild this program and pass the torch, sounds good to me.

@DarrenWolfson: The question isn't whether Flip wants the #Gophers job. It's would Teague & Ellis hire him. He'd love to be here w/ his son, Ryan, on staff.

Go Gophers!!

No more sons on staff please. How is that even allowed per university policy. These guys get paid millions, gotta tell them their kids have to find their own jobs.

That was one of the problems in Chicago was that the veteran team did buy the teaching style.

Probably the other problem in Chicago is that the players were wondering, "Why is the coach of the Pistons telling us what to do?!?"

No more sons on staff please. How is that even allowed per university policy. These guys get paid millions, gotta tell them their kids have to find their own jobs.

His son has his own job and one that probably pays a lot more than gophers assistant. Ryan should have never worn a gophers uniform, nor do I want him on staff because of his dad. If somehow Tubby is the coach next year Sal has to go.

Guys like Flip are interesting candidates (if in fact the job is open). On one hand, you have to look at it like this: Would Flip's name ever come up if he didn't have a Gopher connection? I'd say probably not, but who knows? On the other hand, is someone with a Minnesota or Gopher connection automatically elevated because fans assume that they would "try harder" or put more into their work just because they have that connection?

I tend to agree with this, though it may not even be an issue if Flip were hired.

he has the passion to see the program succeed & tools to get it done.

I don't know this, do you or anyone else? Does he have the passion to fly to random places throughout the US on a Thursday night, not to coach a sexy NBA game in a glitsy arena, but to sit on bleachers and watch a high school kid play a game, then fly back that night. Over and over and over? This is not a statement that Tubby is better than Flip, or anything, just that I don't know how Flip will do on the job. Its a different animal than the NBA. His college coaching experience is nothing like coaching a BIG school.

I am confident that when the time for Tubby's replacement comes, that Norwood will make the right call. I am also confident he won't give in to the local shouts for flip and trent tucker.

Shaka's whole "havoc" system is predicated on defense creating offense. It would be fun to watch when it works, but against teams with two or more ball handlers we would have a team a lot like what we have now. The bigger question about shaka is if he would have the budget to assemble a staff that could back fill his offensive shortcomings.

Yes. This concerns me somewhat. I am not sure his system, as run currently, can work night-to-night in the B10. It might, but like you said, I think a good team who knows it is coming and has prepared for it could cause all sorts of problems. That doesn't mean, at all, that he's not a great candidate (if the job opens), but he's no obvious choice like I had thought before looking into it a bit more.

I don't know this, do you or anyone else? Does he have the passion to fly to random places throughout the US on a Thursday night, not to coach a sexy NBA game in a glitsy arena, but to sit on bleachers and watch a high school kid play a game, then fly back that night. Over and over and over? This is not a statement that Tubby is better than Flip, or anything, just that I don't know how Flip will do on the job. Its a different animal than the NBA. His college coaching experience is nothing like coaching a BIG school.

I am confident that when the time for Tubby's replacement comes, that Norwood will make the right call. I am also confident he won't give in to the local shouts for flip and trent tucker.

I would think the NBA is more of a grind than college bball. All the games, travel across the country, etc. So to say he wouldn't be able to handle recruiting is kind of laughable in my opinion. There would be assistants doing most of the grunt work anyways.

I would think in terms of hours worked, NBA coaches do many more in a year than college coaches.

Instead of talking about who may or may not become our next coach, how about we do something different and talk about our current coach. Oh, wait..................

I would think the NBA is more of a grind than college bball. All the games, travel across the country, etc. So to say he wouldn't be able to handle recruiting is kind of laughable in my opinion. There would be assistants doing most of the grunt work anyways.

I would think in terms of hours worked, NBA coaches do many more in a year than college coaches.

And NBA teams are flying in charter flights to all of their games, not sitting in airports waiting to board a commercial flight. Flip would have to get used to spending a lot of time on commercial flights sitting in airports because the U doesn't provide private jets for their coaches, some schools do however. If Flip hadn't played for Minnesota no one would be excited about hiring him. The NBA also has an offseason, a college coach has to be around all year making sure his players work out and go to class to stay eligible academically. There is a fair amount of babysitting.

One thing maybe we have all kind of said if you piece all of the various different comments together, but has not been stated, I don't think, as one separate and pieced together thought, is...

Look at Flips progression.

The higher the age and talent of his players, the less success he was perceived to have attained.

At Detroit, they already had one of the best teams in the NBA, all he had to do was figure out how to get them to perform to the best of their abilities at the right time of the season. He got them to perform well during the regular season but just struggled to get them to win the NBA Title.

Drop down a notch, at Minnesota, where the T-Pups were hardly as good as the Detroit Piston team he took over, he got them to perform at a level they never had before, and at a level they never have since he left. And Kevin Garnett was much of the reason for that and Kevin Garnett was a very young man when he started playing for the T-Pups, no older than those coming into the Gopher program as freshman every year.

Drop down another notch, to his days in the CBA. Now these guys are older than college students, but many of them are guys just short of being good enough for the NBA, and possibly more willing to accept guidance and instruction in the hope of improving their game in order to get to the NBA.

How did Flip do in the CBA??? He is considered by some to be arguably the best coach ever in CBA history, or at least one of the Top 5 or 10 of all time. In one 4 year period, he won either a CBA Title or COY in 3 of the 4 years and the one year won both, and for two different teams.

Finally, going down to his college Head Coaching experience, and yes, they were not Major College level, but they were still college students, and he had his most success as far as wins vs losses while coaching college kids, and they won 56 straight home games. The team never lost a home game the entire time Flip was coaching them. If that is all he ever did, was make us unbeatable at home, that alone would make us annually a tournament bound team and more often than once every six years as has been our historical pattern since the 1948, a Top 25 team.

I think that Flip would come into the job wanting more than anything to help put the Gophers back onto the map. At least for the first 2 or 3 years he would work tirelessly to bring in all the states top recruits and top recruits from around the country. I think he would also strive to bring in some of the best Asst coaches from around the country with the mindset of grooming one of them to take over for him within 5 years. Not saying that if he got us to the top of the Big Ten that he'd all of a sudden want to retire, so that asst coach might either leave for a head coaching job or wait patiently til Flip retired. If he did leave, then he could just get another hot young coach to come in to be groomed. He'd hopefully bring in a top notch recruiter so that after those first 2 or 3 years if he started to tire of traveling all over the country, he could have that asst cover out of state recruiting. If we keep producing top notch recruits in state like we have been lately, and we start nabbing them all, we wouldn't need a ton of recruits from out of state. We could maybe even start stealing them from ND, Iowa and Wisconsin, hehe.

I think that one of the biggest benefits of bringing in Flip, would be what he could do to inspire the Gopher supporters with the money.

Remember who was most responsible for getting the new Baseball Stadium built. ALUM Paul Molitor. He worked tirelessly for what? 7 years to get that done?!

Just think of what Flip could do here in just 2-3 years if he worked the same way.

Guys like Sid Hartman would just love the hire and would talk up Flip in the press endlessly, and things like that might drum up fan interest and big money support that some unknown hire just wouldn't be able to accomplish UNTIL he was able to pull off the VCU like run to the FF, but that could be 3 or 4 years down the run after he was hired, IF he wasn't the next Brewster.

The more I think about it, the more the idea grows on me. I wanted Flip before when we instead opted for Tubby. But I don't think Flip wanted the job back then. I think he was still thinking about winning an NBA Title. I think those dreams have past him by and NBA teams aren't banging down his door, and he may have tired of trying to work with egotistical NBA players, and he's thinking instead of the possibilities of winning an NCAA title here and here at Minnesota is the best chance he'd have to do that.

All the pieces seem to fit.

I can't say whether Flip is the right person for the MN coaching job, however, he would quickly vie with Bo Ryan and Tom Izzo for most facial tics in a game!

flip-saunders.jpg Flip_Saunders.jpg Flip_Saunders.jpg

I think that Flip would come into the job wanting more than anything to help put the Gophers back onto the map. At least for the first 2 or 3 years he would work tirelessly to bring in all the states top recruits and top recruits from around the country. I think he would also strive to bring in some of the best Asst coaches from around the country with the mindset of grooming one of them to take over for him within 5 years. Not saying that if he got us to the top of the Big Ten that he'd all of a sudden want to retire, so that asst coach might either leave for a head coaching job or wait patiently til Flip retired. If he did leave, then he could just get another hot young coach to come in to be groomed. He'd hopefully bring in a top notch recruiter so that after those first 2 or 3 years if he started to tire of traveling all over the country, he could have that asst cover out of state recruiting. If we keep producing top notch recruits in state like we have been lately, and we start nabbing them all, we wouldn't need a ton of recruits from out of state. We could maybe even start stealing them from ND, Iowa and Wisconsin, hehe.

I don't think any potential coach should be concerned who his replacement should be, and Shirley not hire someone with that intent.

Flip is a hoops junkie and has been to several high school games this year. Why? First, because "hoops" are Flips life. Second, I think he is building that relationship base by chance Tubby is out and Norwood has interest. If he does want the job he is definitely thinking this far ahead and I do think he wants it. I think Flip would be a terrific hire.

Can you imagine the player confidence out of a time-out after Flip has drawn up a play - they will believe. I don't think they believe right now under Tubby- our biggest problem. Heck, we don't even try to score on an inbound play under the basket. We see a zone and I don't think the players "believe" Tubby has the knowledge or creativity to beat it (same stuff since he arrived). For heaven sakes we can't for the life of us figure out the riddle to beat Northwestern on a consistent basis. I think the players do like Tubby but his lack of offensive playbook really shows. I like Tubby (a great guy) but I don't see any upside going into next year. I actually stopped really caring after we BEAT Iowa. I left the barn really upset. I was so jealous how well coached Iowa was. The strategy and movement on both ends of the court was top shelf. Iowa basketball is on the rise.

Lastly, it seems Flip and Izzo are best of friends back from his days in Detroit with the Pistons. If he is driven to beat and compete with his buddy (like most of us are in life), the Gophers will be in excellent company until Flip retires.

While I don't hold out much hope for Tubby, I will be back at the barn on Tuesday night cheering like heck for the players to succeed and beat #1. Chin up. We might lose by 20 but it has a chance to be a very magical night. I sure hope it is.

He's the same age as Izzo and 8 years younger than Bo. Both seem to be doing OK.

True, but how long are they going to be around? And how do we know that Flip will be as successful as these two at the college level? I'd much rather see us take our chances with an up-and comer.....I also worry about Flip taking the job, in part, to try and get his son a major coaching gig.

One thing maybe we have all kind of said if you piece all of the various different comments together, but has not been stated, I don't think, as one separate and pieced together thought, is...

Look at Flips progression.

The higher the age and talent of his players, the less success he was perceived to have attained.

At Detroit, they already had one of the best teams in the NBA, all he had to do was figure out how to get them to perform to the best of their abilities at the right time of the season. He got them to perform well during the regular season but just struggled to get them to win the NBA Title.

Drop down a notch, at Minnesota, where the T-Pups were hardly as good as the Detroit Piston team he took over, he got them to perform at a level they never had before, and at a level they never have since he left. And Kevin Garnett was much of the reason for that and Kevin Garnett was a very young man when he started playing for the T-Pups, no older than those coming into the Gopher program as freshman every year.

Drop down another notch, to his days in the CBA. Now these guys are older than college students, but many of them are guys just short of being good enough for the NBA, and possibly more willing to accept guidance and instruction in the hope of improving their game in order to get to the NBA.

How did Flip do in the CBA??? He is considered by some to be arguably the best coach ever in CBA history, or at least one of the Top 5 or 10 of all time. In one 4 year period, he won either a CBA Title or COY in 3 of the 4 years and the one year won both, and for two different teams.

Finally, going down to his college Head Coaching experience, and yes, they were not Major College level, but they were still college students, and he had his most success as far as wins vs losses while coaching college kids, and they won 56 straight home games. The team never lost a home game the entire time Flip was coaching them. If that is all he ever did, was make us unbeatable at home, that alone would make us annually a tournament bound team and more often than once every six years as has been our historical pattern since the 1948, a Top 25 team.

I think that one of the biggest benefits of bringing in Flip, would be what he could do to inspire the Gopher supporters with the money.

Remember who was most responsible for getting the new Baseball Stadium built. ALUM Paul Molitor. He worked tirelessly for what? 7 years to get that done?!

Just think of what Flip could do here in just 2-3 years if he worked the same way.

Guys like Sid Hartman would just love the hire and would talk up Flip in the press endlessly, and things like that might drum up fan interest and big money support that some unknown hire just wouldn't be able to accomplish UNTIL he was able to pull off the VCU like run to the FF, but that could be 3 or 4 years down the run after he was hired, IF he wasn't the next Brewster.

The more I think about it, the more the idea grows on me. I wanted Flip before when we instead opted for Tubby. But I don't think Flip wanted the job back then. I think he was still thinking about winning an NBA Title. I think those dreams have past him by and NBA teams aren't banging down his door, and he may have tired of trying to work with egotistical NBA players, and he's thinking instead of the possibilities of winning an NCAA title here and here at Minnesota is the best chance he'd have to do that.

All the pieces seem to fit.

You're dreaming.... just like you dreamt up your 20 something girlfriend

yeah, I suppose I could have done that tinyarch, but then I wouldn't be me. I'd be you?

Well station I guess I was thinking more of from the perspective of the fans, not so much Flip. Flip would obviously and hopefully come here with the desire to turn the program into the greatest thing since sliced bread and if he succeeded, well then I'm pretty sure he'd plan on staying around for awhile.

But any coach who actually cares about the program he is coaching, and not just the money he's getting paid for the job, should care about who they turn the program over to when they retire.

Tubby probably doesn't care because he probably only cares about his wallet and his own legacy. He probably hopes the next coach doesn't do well and cause if he did, that might make him look bad.

I would like to think that Flip, more than most of the other coaches mentioned as candidates, would care more for the school as a whole than those others would. Sure he'd probably also care about his wallet and legacy, but not ONLY about his wallet and his legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom