Flip wants the job! Per Flips Funkadlic on KFAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flip would bring in Ryan Saunders and probably keep one of Tubby's assistants not named Saul....

His professional experience would sell very well to the 3 and 4 star type players Minnesota should expect to recruit. The top of the top are not going to come here anyway. Plus, like Izzo, his teams will get better with time, not worse because the guy can motivate and develop players.....Fred Hoiberg had never coached before and he is having some success......

barn.....the model we have here obviously does not work..........this University has a losing culture and its time to change it....attitudes like your perpetuate the problem...

@DarrenWolfson: The question isn't whether Flip wants the #Gophers job. It's would Teague & Ellis hire him. He'd love to be here w/ his son, Ryan, on staff.

Go Gophers!!

First of all I don't think anyone is saying Tubby should be fired immediately as it's well known his contract says that is a no go.

I also wonder shy some people 'assume' Flip would work for a reduced salary. Yes it's possible, but who knows.

Some one mentioned a Facebook page for 'Minnesota Fire Tubby Smith', so I checked it out and found this:

"Dan Barreiro's producer is very plugged in Gopher wise. Anyways, the other day they were discussing potential candidates on KFAN. And he was saying Norwood and his people who came with him from VCU, are EXTREMELY plugged into college basketball. Because at VCU, it's the only Div 1 thing they had. They hired an unknown Anthony Grant, who led VCU to the tourney and upset Duke, and he is now turning Alabama into a perennial contender. And they discovered Shaka Smart. So his point was, Norwood may well go after a name we know of, but he said they probably have a list of 5-10 guys who they have cherry picked as "the next Shaka", so I have full faith hearing that that Norwood would make a good hire, even if it's not somebody we're dreaming about right now."

If we are looking for a new coach next year Teague may be torn between an up and coming guy he has in mind or Flip, who has name recognition and apparently wants the job.

Flip or another 'known coach' may have a better chance of landing one or more of the big 3, but in the end all we can do is 'stay tuned'.

@DarrenWolfson: The question isn't whether Flip wants the #Gophers job. It's would Teague & Ellis hire him. He'd love to be here w/ his son, Ryan, on staff.

Go Gophers!!

I do take some comfort in the fact that there is a local alum with significant (and largely very positive) NBA coaching experience who would really, really like the job. I think he is the best combination between realistic and effective/good. But I do agree that I think there's a solid chance Teague, if he decides to make a change, would go with his own guy.

Similar to the facilities situation...you don't just plop a building on a vacant lot without a larger strategic plan for how it all fits together. A Flip hire would be a short or medium term proposition due to his age. Meanwhile, Norwood and Co. would definitely be oriented more toward a young, up-and-coming guy who could stay for the long haul. So hiring Flip would need to fit into some sort of strategy. I love Saunders, but his chance of getting hired here would have been a lot higher under the previous administration.

I'm not sure that's such a terrible thing. Certainly Flip should not be #1 on our list. But he should be in the top 5. Teague should pull whatever strings he has with Shaka. He should have feelers out to the Tad Boyles and Mark Fox's of the world. But if that's not happening, I think it's worth giving Flip a shot. He's one of the few outside of Shaka who gives us any realstic shot at the Big 3 in 2014. He's coming into a team that still has a decent talent base. If we're not winning in 3 years and he whiffs on the 2014 class, we can move on. The next hot coach on the Mac or Missouri Valley will always be there. This is the last chance to give Flip a shot at it.

Please don't hire Flip. It reminds me of when everyone was all fired up about Trent Tucker. Let's get a younger guy in here....and I'm an older guy. I just think hiring Flip is just a quick fix and that won't be long-term.

I'm not sure that's such a terrible thing. Certainly Flip should not be #1 on our list. But he should be in the top 5. Teague should pull whatever strings he has with Shaka. He should have feelers out to the Tad Boyles and Mark Fox's of the world. But if that's not happening, I think it's worth giving Flip a shot. He's one of the few outside of Shaka who gives us any realstic shot at the Big 3 in 2014. He's coming into a team that still has a decent talent base. If we're not winning in 3 years and he whiffs on the 2014 class, we can move on. The next hot coach on the Mac or Missouri Valley will always be there. This is the last chance to give Flip a shot at it.

Good points. I believe Flip has already been scouting the big 3, maybe even more than Tubby.

Going back to the Flip for a reduced price issue; I don't believe he has ever stated he would work, or start, for a reduced salary, but another thing to consider is; would he agree to a lower buy-out. Seems as though these large buy-outs are becoming a big issue.....might be a consideration.

Please don't hire Flip. It reminds me of when everyone was all fired up about Trent Tucker. Let's get a younger guy in here....and I'm an older guy. I just think hiring Flip is just a quick fix and that won't be long-term.

He's the same age as Izzo and 8 years younger than Bo. Both seem to be doing OK.

He's the same age as Izzo and 8 years younger than Bo. Both seem to be doing OK.

True.

Have to wonder how a Flip hire would affect donor contributions(buy-out and/or practice facility) compared to an up and coming guy.

First of all I don't think anyone is saying Tubby should be fired immediately as it's well known his contract says that is a no go.

I also wonder shy some people 'assume' Flip would work for a reduced salary. Yes it's possible, but who knows.

Some one mentioned a Facebook page for 'Minnesota Fire Tubby Smith', so I checked it out and found this:

"Dan Barreiro's producer is very plugged in Gopher wise. Anyways, the other day they were discussing potential candidates on KFAN. And he was saying Norwood and his people who came with him from VCU, are EXTREMELY plugged into college basketball. Because at VCU, it's the only Div 1 thing they had. They hired an unknown Anthony Grant, who led VCU to the tourney and upset Duke, and he is now turning Alabama into a perennial contender. And they discovered Shaka Smart. So his point was, Norwood may well go after a name we know of, but he said they probably have a list of 5-10 guys who they have cherry picked as "the next Shaka", so I have full faith hearing that that Norwood would make a good hire, even if it's not somebody we're dreaming about right now."

If we are looking for a new coach next year Teague may be torn between an up and coming guy he has in mind or Flip, who has name recognition and apparently wants the job.

Flip or another 'known coach' may have a better chance of landing one or more of the big 3, but in the end all we can do is 'stay tuned'.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner!

EXTREMELY plugged in relative to who? Joel Maturi? Basketball is not the only D-1 sport VCU has by the way. They have pretty much everything except football.

And not to doubt Norwood and Co's ability to find a good coach, but let's stop acting like they discovered some secret formula. Florida won the national championship in 2006. They plucked Anthony Grant off of Billy Donovan's staff. I'm sure no one else could have thought of it! When Grant left, they went back to the same well and plucked Shaka off of Billy Donovan's staff. I guess the Wyoming AD deciphered the secret code when he hired Larry Shyatt!

EXTREMELY plugged in relative to who? Joel Maturi? Basketball is not the only D-1 sport VCU has by the way. They have pretty much everything except football.

And not to doubt Norwood and Co's ability to find a good coach, but let's stop acting like they discovered some secret formula. Florida won the national championship in 2006. They plucked Anthony Grant off of Billy Donovan's staff. I'm sure no one else could have thought of it! When Grant left, they went back to the same well and plucked Shaka off of Billy Donovan's staff. I guess the Wyoming AD deciphered the secret code when he hired Larry Shyatt!

Mike Ellis is a leader of the Villa 7. Even CBS' Jeff Goodman was writing articles because he came here. How often does an assistant AD get national pub? It doesn't take anyone "plugged in" to know that Ellis has a great basketball reputation and is seen as very good at working to hire basketball coaches.

If and when there is a hiring decision to be made for a head basketball coach, we've got some one of the best on our side.

Mike Ellis is a leader of the Villa 7. Even CBS' Jeff Goodman was writing articles because he came here. How often does an assistant AD get national pub? It doesn't take anyone "plugged in" to know that Ellis has a great basketball reputation and is seen as very good at working to hire basketball coaches.

If and when there is a hiring decision to be made for a head basketball coach, we've got some one of the best on our side.

I'm sure Ellis does have a good reputation. And I'm glad we have him. But the hires the've made were not some out-of-nowhere heists. They're not Mike Shanahan drafting running backs or anything. If we hire an assitant coach at Akron, I'm going to be alarmed, not excited about the secret formula.

I'm sure Ellis does have a good reputation. And I'm glad we have him. But the hires the've made were not some out-of-nowhere heists. They're not Mike Shanahan drafting running backs or anything. If we hire an assitant coach at Akron, I'm going to be alarmed, not excited about the secret formula.

None of us know for sure, but my gut tells me Teague and Ellis are more 'plugged in' than Maturi.:)

Might be a chance that a prospect might be more eager to work for Teague than Joel.

Brushed aside in all of this- would we hire Flip talk is what he actually said:

He said that there are two types of players- instinctive players and directional players. Said that a guy like Olidipo is an example of an instintive player. He said a team is best not having too many directional guys and not enough instinctive players. Basketball is a game of gray- no black and white and instictive players know how to work in the gray area. Directional players maybe not as much. He said the Gophers have a lot of directional players and they appear to have lost confidence. Key is to get the confidence back and simplifying things might be one way.

Said Andre is a very good scorer but more of a 2 guard. Says that a team needs a guy who is a great ball handler and can take over at crunch time- sounded like he was speaking to Tyus to me. He said there is no reason why we can't beat Indiana and that the situation may be ripe for it. Said he would be shocked it it wasn't a good game. Would not criticize Smith's system when asked about it. But he did say that he would start with a zone against Indiana. he said that the zone does yield outside shots but that often times in the man to man you are chasing after being screened. The zone while it gives up shots, will allow the defender to be in better proximity to the shooter than in some chasing situations. He said the zone might stop Indiana from beating us inside.

On coaching- said he plans to coach again because he likes to teach and help guys develop and make teams become better- college or pro and would not specify which. Said he wants to see Minnesota program successful again- all of his kids have graduated from the U and all have lettered. He said that he won't comment any more specifically about any job that is currently occupied. It was more than clear that he is interested.

The thing is guys get hired off of championship staffs in every sport and fail miserably. Poking the right assistant coaches to hire isn't always easy.

Also, if coaches from the Florida staff were such easy targets I'd say it's pretty good that they were able to get them to pick VCU.

I have a lot of faith in Teague and Ellis to make the right hire when the time comes.

They hired an unknown Anthony Grant, who led VCU to the tourney and upset Duke, and he is now turning Alabama into a perennial contender. '.

You were quoting someone, so I'm not arguing with you per se, but discovering Anthony Grant isn't some amazing feat.

First of all, Anthony Grant was an assistant at Florida for 7 seasons and was there for the first national championship run. He may have been an unknown to clowns like us, but I'm guessing every D1 AD in the southeast knew who he was.

Secondly, to whatever extent you'd consider Alabama a perennial contender, a big part of their success is related to how awful the SEC has been. Here is Alabama's conference record along with the RPI rank of the SEC for that year:

'12 - '13: 10-3, 8th
'11 - '12: 9-7, 3rd
'10 - '11: 12-4, 6th
'09 - '10: 6-10, 4th

In his 3 full years Alabama is 0-1 in the NCAA tournament. And they're not going this year. If Minnesota had losses to Mercer, Tulane, Dayton, and Auburn this year like Alabama does, people would be ready to bring back Molinari.

You were quoting someone, so I'm not arguing with you per se, but discovering Anthony Grant isn't some amazing feat.

First of all, Anthony Grant was an assistant at Florida for 7 seasons and was there for the first national championship run. He may have been an unknown to clowns like us, but I'm guessing every D1 AD in the southeast knew who he was.

Secondly, to whatever extent you'd consider Alabama a perennial contender, a big part of their success is related to how awful the SEC has been. Here is Alabama's conference record along with the RPI rank of the SEC for that year:

In his 3 full years Alabama is 0-1 in the NCAA tournament. And they're not going this year. If Minnesota had losses to Mercer, Tulane, Dayton, and Auburn this year like Alabama does, people would be ready to bring back Molinari.

Correct. It was from the Facebook page. I didn't think it was appropriate to post his name.

Why Mike Ellis is "plugged in"

Howeda7, I think the reason there is optimism that Teague and Ellis will make a good hire has to do with Ellis' involvement with Villa 7. Here's an article with more info:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...xpected-to-take-villa-7-with-him-to-minnesota

While Florida was successful with Grant as an assistant, I bet there is a pretty long list of assistants that do nothing. It isn't as easy as some make it sound.

The fact that you're apart of that guy's facebook page is funny to me.

Just for the record, someone posted there was a facebook account titled 'Minnesota Fire Tubby Smith', so I looked it up and found the above comment on the page. I then copy and pasted it here.

I'm not 'part' or in anyway associated with it.

I like Flip but don't think a guy that hasn't recruited for 30 years is the right guy. I also think that the NBA experience is overblown, virtually every coach from a top tier conference has contacts with NBA staffs, scouts, etc.. There are pro coaches who fail at the college level all the time(though it is a lot more common in football, NBA guys don't tend to go back to college gigs). Also people in Minnesota know who Flip is but isn't as if he has first name recognition nationally with high school kids and that recognition he does has fades with every day he isn't coaching on TV. I also will never get the Minnesotans infatuation with hiring one of their own, whether they are the best candidate or not. Hire the best guy available, I don't care if he is from the moon. I also think that before hiring a coach they need a date and plans finalized as to when he practice facility construction will start. Without that it may be difficult to attract the guy they want. Coaches talk and anyway looking at this job will likely call Tubby or his people. When he tells them he was promised a practice facility by the university 6 years ago and still no shovel in the ground, coaches will immediately and rightfully question the commitment of this university to winning. The university needs to step up and uphold their end of the deal, and have proof of it to show prospective coaches.

Just for the record, someone posted there was a facebook account titled 'Minnesota Fire Tubby Smith', so I looked it up and found the above comment on the page. I then copy and pasted it here.

I'm not 'part' or in anyway associated with it.

I never would have thought people would have been so defensive over a Facebook post talking about the common, well known fact that Teague and Ellis have hired two basketball coaches that were successful for them and could do it again.

I like Flip but don't think a guy that hasn't recruited for 30 years is the right guy. I also think that the NBA experience is overblown, virtually every coach from a top tier conference has contacts with NBA staffs, scouts, etc.. There are pro coaches who fail at the college level all the time(though it is a lot more common in football, NBA guys don't tend to go back to college gigs). Also people in Minnesota know who Flip is but isn't as if he has first name recognition nationally with high school kids and that recognition he does has fades with every day he isn't coaching on TV. I also will never get the Minnesotans infatuation with hiring one of their own, whether they are the best candidate or not. Hire the best guy available, I don't care if he is from the moon. I also think that before hiring a coach they need a date and plans finalized as to when he practice facility construction will start. Without that it may be difficult to attract the guy they want. Coaches talk and anyway looking at this job will likely call Tubby or his people. When he tells them he was promised a practice facility by the university 6 years ago and still no shovel in the ground, coaches will immediately and rightfully question the commitment of this university to winning. The university needs to step up and uphold their end of the deal, and have proof of it to show prospective coaches.

Could very well be true, but I don't think that would stop Flip.

I would be fine with Flip, but if Teague has someone he feels is better that would be fine.

I never would have thought people would have been so defensive over a Facebook post talking about the common, well known fact that Teague and Ellis have hired two basketball coaches that were successful for them and could do it again.

Not defensive. Just trying to present the facts.

I meant the folks responding to your post. Sorry for any confusion there!

I'm easily confused. It's Dr Don's fault.............or is it Parski's?........it's one of them I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom