FLECK HAS ACCEPTED THE GOPHERS JOB!! UPDATED: WE GOT FLECK!!!!

Don't think you've missed anything. The wait is for news of a meeting with the players. Unless, he pulls a Lou Holtz move and just leaves.

Is it possible "row the boat" can be the chant that finally kills off "and another Golden Gopher first down"? If so all the money was worth it.

Is it possible "row the boat" can be the chant that finally kills off "and another Golden Gopher first down"? If so all the money was worth it.

As long as we keep the Case IH Red Zone.

"Hopefully, it's the guy's 13th and last post here. The post irritated me only because it was so stupid."

Agreed. And anyone that upset by hiring Fleck has to be a bit off. I can see someone maybe not totally loving it, but to say crap like that can only mean he's trying to fire up people. If not, then yikes.

Sounds like Fleck was extremely organized and professional during the negotiations. He told the U administration it doesn't do any good to pay me and have a 2nd rate staff. He laid out who he has "lined up" and it is a pretty good list. Based on that I assume very few people from current staff might be retained. Unfortunately, no chance on Sawvel. On the plus side he is making sure we have a Big 10 quality staff. The more I hear about him and read about him, the more I like him. Great hire and the gophers are way better in the long run this way!

Sounds like Fleck was extremely organized and professional during the negotiations. He told the U administration it doesn't do any good to pay me and have a 2nd rate staff. He laid out who he has "lined up" and it is a pretty good list. Based on that I assume very few people from current staff might be retained. Unfortunately, no chance on Sawvel. On the plus side he is making sure we have a Big 10 quality staff. The more I hear about him and read about him, the more I like him. Great hire and the gophers are way better in the long run this way!

You were there? Cool! Tell us more...

per Shama:

A college football source with local and national connections told Sports Headliners this afternoon the Gophers are working to finalize a deal with Western Michigan coach P.J. Fleck.

The source, who will remain anonymous, said an issue could be the number of years on the contract. Five year contracts are common in college football but the Gophers may have to go longer with Fleck. It’s believed Minnesota athletics director Mark Coyle will need to pay a new head coach between $2.5 million and $3.5 million annually.

Fleck, 36, is one of the hottest coaching prospects in America after leading the Broncos to a 13-1 season and top 20 national ranking. Known as a charismatic leader, Fleck could provide immediate enthusiasm for Gophers football both inside and outside the program.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

6th or 7th highest salary in the Big Ten for 7 years. That's a really big risk. Coyle is basically betting his job on Fleck.

6th or 7th highest salary in the Big Ten for 7 years. That's a really big risk. Coyle is basically betting his job on Fleck.

Well, yea. Regardless of the contract, when he fired Claeys he put his legacy and job on the line.

Go Gophers!!

I think that firing Claeys was when he bet his job, and he may be doubling down on it based on who he hires.

We have to have the lowest combined ages for fball and bball coaches in the power5.

I think that firing Claeys was when he bet his job, and he may be doubling down on it based on who he hires.

Yeah, and if he was smart, he would have kept it to the idea that they need a change in culture.

His blabbing now puts his neck on the line for blowing late leads against good teams, recruiting and academics. I'm not saying those things were perfect here, but the "emails from fans following the Wisconsin game" line sounds like one that could really come back to bite him in the ass.

6th or 7th highest today.

It's sort of like free agency in the NBA/NFL, people look at the salaries of the current crop of FA's and it's crazy that players are making more than better players who signed contracts a couple years earlier. It's like wage inflation.

Yeah, and if he was smart, he would have kept it to the idea that they need a change in culture.

His blabbing now puts his neck on the line for blowing late leads against good teams, recruiting and academics. I'm not saying those things were perfect here, but the "emails from fans following the Wisconsin game" line sounds like one that could really come back to bite him in the ass.

No question about it. I've been saying this for weeks...both are on hot seats. Firing TC made both even hotter. I wonder at what point they start to distance themselves from each other. My bet is Kaler will make that first move. He clearly has the stronger self-serving gene.

We have to have the lowest combined ages for fball and bball coaches in the power5.

This is actually pretty neat. I could see SI or ESPN doing multiple stories on this. I can see a "New Kids on the Block" type headline with them standing back and back and folding arms.

I'll stop now...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom