ESPN's Bennett on Claeys: Whom could the Gophers reasonably hire who would be better?

Coyle would not hire anyone he would consider firing within 3 years. And I'll agree, spending money does not guarantee success, but it usually improves your odds by hiring someone who's in the market to receive that type of money.

I think some are underselling what the U has to offer a coach though. This job would certainly fall behind any helmet school openings, but would be near the top of any mid-level job openings. We have the new stadium, the new facilities, the Big Ten Network money, and are in arguably the most winnable division in any of the major conferences.

Nobody hires anyone they think they will fire in 3 years.... or at least they don't want to.

As a head coach took Wake Forest to an ACC title game. Is the current interim head coach at Baylor. Has proven he can win with less talent which is pretty much what he would have to do here. Also has run clean programs to the point Baylor brought him in to spin the clean up of that s--t storm. He likes a challenge because he took the Baylor job.

I would be surprised if it happened but I believe this AD would have no problem firing Claeys after this season. Coyle didn't hire him and the deal Claeys signed gave the U a pretty easy way out. This puts Coyle in a "hire my guy" position if this season is deemed a failure by the people in charge.

As far as a name I would make a call to Pat Narduzzi to see if he is interested in coming back to the B1G.

Jim Grobe.

Are you ****ting me? A guy who won 40% of his games in a far inferior conference? A guy who'd be 65 years old for his first game? Holy **** this board is infuriating.

Are you ****ting me? A guy who won 40% of his games in a far inferior conference? A 64-year-old? Holy **** this board is infuriating.
Yeah forget he was at Wake Forest. He won a conference title there. Who was the last coach that won a conference title here? He did it with a lot less talent then the other teams in the ACC.

Are you ****ting me? A guy who won 40% of his games in a far inferior conference? A guy who'd be 65 years old for his first game? Holy **** this board is infuriating.

Sounds like someone is on the youngster Kiffin's band wagon....

Yeah forget he was at Wake Forest. He won a conference title there. Who was the last coach that won a conference title here? He did it with a lot less talent then the other teams in the ACC.

That's his one thing... and then he did poorly there too.

Just remember - the next coach is always going to be better than the current coach. Until he isn't.

He did it with a lot less talent then the other teams in the ACC.

You'd probably have a point if they hadn't had nine players drafted the following spring.

Also, "then". Awesome.

Can we stop this stupid Kill/Claeys reference. Just because he was on staff as a coordinator under Kill he is responsible for all recruits, records, decisions, etc.? That idea is dumber than words can describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the point about how to build a winner it does. We didn't hire Mark Coyle to make sure we had a nice boathouse for the rowing team. I don't think he should have done anything yet, but he could do something down the road.
Didn't Coyle work for the guy who made the boathouse a reality?

You'd probably have a point if they hadn't had nine players drafted the following spring.

Also, "then". Awesome.

If what you mean by 9 is 2 then you are correct. Josh Gattis (Rd 5) Steve Vallos (Rd 7).
And none of those guys came in as 5 or 4 star guys. Sounds familiar.

Can we stop this stupid Kill/Claeys reference. Just because he was on staff as a coordinator under Kill he is responsible for all recruits, records, decisions, etc.? That idea is dumber than words can describe.

Clearly, there are two schools of thought when it comes to Claeys's immediate future:

1) Claeys is in his first year as head coach and should be given the same leeway as all first-year coaches -- the assumption that he should get four or five years to get his program and players locked in.

2) Claeys was hired because he was part of the Kill regime, to keep that program moving forward, and under circumstances that made it difficult to find anyone else. His contract makes it clear that he's basically an interim hire given the chance to audition.

I'm on the side of #2, myself. But whichever you believe, it influences your perception on this topic and it's almost impossible for many to consider the other view.

Clearly, there are two schools of thought when it comes to Claeys's immediate future:

1) Claeys is in his first year as head coach and should be given the same leeway as all first-year coaches -- the assumption that he should get four or five years to get his program and players locked in.

2) Claeys was hired because he was part of the Kill regime, to keep that program moving forward, and under circumstances that made it difficult to find anyone else. His contract makes it clear that he's basically an interim hire given the chance to audition.

I'm on the side of #2, myself. But whichever you believe, it influences your perception on this topic and it's almost impossible for many to consider the other view.

I'm somewhere in between I was willing to give Kill 4-6 years to sell me on keeping the job based on where we were at and what needed to be changed. Claeys IMO gets 2-3 tops. It would take a complete disaster for me to want to see him gone after this year, but if progress is stalled out after next year, I'd hope they move on. Mostly because I think this years class of freshman is good enough that I would want to utilize their last two years under a new coach if we haven't made strides or improvement by then.

Just pay Tom Hermann anything he wants and crush the dreams of LSU, Texas and USC. If Minnesota ever wants to be good at football you have to dream big and make those dreams a reality. I know we would never be in the running for the Hermann sweepstakes but this is the problem, we won't pay to get the best when it comes to football. That being said, I still support Claeys and hope like hell he ends up with 9 wins this season, it can still be done but we have to get healthy and have the bounces come our way.

I'm somewhere in between I was willing to give Kill 4-6 years to sell me on keeping the job based on where we were at and what needed to be changed. Claeys IMO gets 2-3 tops. It would take a complete disaster for me to want to see him gone after this year, but if progress is stalled out after next year, I'd hope they move on. Mostly because I think this years class of freshman is good enough that I would want to utilize their last two years under a new coach if we haven't made strides or improvement by then.

I think the middle position is difficult. With Claeys's contract (two years left after this season?), Coyle almost has to make a decision at the end of this season for recruiting purposes. You have to commit to him and get him to a five-year contract or move on. Anything less -- or no extension -- indicates to recruits that the AD isn't sold on him, and he may not last.

I think the middle position is difficult. With Claeys's contract (two years left after this season?), Coyle almost has to make a decision at the end of this season for recruiting purposes. You have to commit to him and get him to a five-year contract or move on. Anything less -- or no extension -- indicates to recruits that the AD isn't sold on him, and he may not last.

They can give Claeys an extension for fairly inexpensively though. I'm not sure they're really locked in by anything.

I think a lot of the examples provided here and elsewhere kinda support the premise of the question. None seem much more likely to be successful than say Claeys.

I think Coyle would surprise you. Hopefully we beat Iowa though.

I think Coyle would surprise you. Hopefully we beat Iowa though.

Well at this point anything he does would be a surprise because he hasn't actually done anything and I've no idea what to expect.

It's all gonna be unexpected other than say a extension for Claeys.

Top Bottom