ESPN's Bennett on Claeys: Whom could the Gophers reasonably hire who would be better?

This is putting aside the fact that people are calling Penn St. the worse team because it fits their agenda, even though they were the betting favorite.

Point well taken. I think losing to Penn St grinds people's gears because they game was so ripe for the plucking. We played like crap at times and still had the lead with about a minute left. That just raises the level of disappointment.

The problem seems to me that last year Kill toured the state raising expectations of a great season.
The conference record was dismal.
This year Claeys said 'best team we that we have had since I have been here'.
Combine that with a fortuitous conference schedule and most put on their maroon colored glasses.
PennST rightly was seen as a win for the 'best team'.
So again inadequate recruiting to provide quality depth for the the inevitable looses though injuries and suspensions takes a toll.

The problem seems to me that last year Kill toured the state raising expectations of a great season.
The conference record was dismal.
This year Claeys said 'best team we that we have had since I have been here'.
Combine that with a fortuitous conference schedule and most put on their maroon colored glasses.
PennST rightly was seen as a win for the 'best team'.
So again inadequate recruiting to provide quality depth for the the inevitable looses though injuries and suspensions takes a toll.

First off. **** you. Just leave, you badger troll. Your story is tired.

Secondly, not one has yet to answer the question (surprise!) of who would be resonalby hired. I have no candidates, and it seems as it no one else does either.

The fact remains, we were in a bad situation to hire a quality HC last year, not many people would have taken the job with the Title IX investigation ongoing and a vacant AD position. While the AD position has been filled the final report on Title IX hasn't be been issued. Clayes wanted the job and was happy to sign a less than ideal contract for a shot at proving himself. Once the Title IX report is in and at least the Athletic Performance building opened our HC position becomes a lot more attractive. Firing Caeys after one season would make it even less desirable. With some pretty desirable jobs coming open this year Coyle would be well advised to wait at least a year.

If you are satisfied with .500 and would rather have .500 than take a risk of moving below for the possible benefit of making a great hire and moving above then you stand pat.

For me, a 5-7 season doesn't feel that much different than a 7-5 season. I'd rather go 2-10 a few times with the possibility of having hope than live in .500 purgatory. If you do not share that feeling I get why you wouldn't want to try to make a change.

Regardless of your aversion to risk, to me it is pretty clear that the jerry kill and Tracy C regime is going to be perennially between 5 and 8 wins. Does that mean trying something new? Obviously that is someone else's call. I don't personally think this staff has any hope of getting to the next level in a season. I could be wrong.

Would be curious to know: for the people who think we should stick with this current staff long term...is it because you think they'll bring a championship or because you think a new staff almost surely is worse?

This is putting aside the fact that people are calling Penn St. the worse team because it fits their agenda, even though they were the betting favorite.

Well I guess we should congratulate the staff for being an underdog to a mediocre Penn state team?

I've never called Penn State the worse team, have called them pretty mediocre

Gopher Hole logic: Penn State is really bad because we lost to them in Happy Valley, therefore we are really bad because we lost to them.

I agree with most of what Some Guy posted above. I don't see a whole lot of upside to Kill/Claeys and I am not really worried about the potential downside of a coaching change. That said, I am not as down on Claeys and this teams as many on the board are, but would certainly change my tune if they don't win this week. What bothers me most about the loss last weekend is that we have the Iowa schedule from last year and they were able to go through the conference slate undefeated...while the Gophers can't even make it through week 1. To the point of the "who can they reasonably hire that would be better?" argument, I was told by many Glen Mason fans that Charlie Strong would "never" consider Minnesota. I am not sure anyone truly knows who is possible or who would be better. A guy with Kirk Ferentz's resume when he got the Iowa job wouldn't have been considered a big time hire (a few years as the head coach at Maine followed by a stint as an OL coach in the NFL) yet he turned out amazing for Iowa. If you just look at Claeys resume on paper, I am pretty confident the Gophers could hire someone who has coordinated a more successful (statistically) offense or defense at the BCS level and/or comes with a track record of recruiting better prospects... but that doesn't mean that coach would be better than Claeys.

Claeys will get a couple of years, but he has to win, starting Saturday. This is a big game for both teams.

Les Miles, I doubt would come, but at least everyone could immediately complain that we got another coach that can't beat WI.

I wonder why they picked this guy's email out of thousands to put on the site. We seem to have some pretty high expectations (as a fan base) for our coaches and team, yet (as a fan base) we fail to support them enough to fill a small stadium. I've heard on hear the notion that "if you win, we will come", but for whatever reason that has not worked yet.
Maybe the fans need to come first, bringing their dollars with them, and after a while the U can more easily justify getting a more expensive coach.

If Claeys wins 6 or less (not including bowl) this year he should be fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems a little harsh. However, I could potentially be on board with this IF the U decided they were going to spend some serious jack to bring in a big name. Excluding that highly unlikely scenario, I think we are better off continuing to build with Claeys, at least for another year.

Offense under Claeys has been significantly more succesful, and I have faith that Claeys will be able to fix whatever is wrong with the D.

If we can't win 4 more games against this schedule then I think Coyle has no choice but to fire Claeys. Maybe he survives 6-6, but if we lose the next two games and the stands are half empty at homecoming then his seat will be hot.

Firing Claeys after one season would seem to make a less than highly desirable job ... less desirable to outside candidates.

Secondly, not one has yet to answer the question (surprise!) of who would be reasonable hires. I have no candidates, and it seems as it no one else does either.

Here are some thoughts and not really knowing contracts(in no particular order)

Jeff Brohm-W. Kentucky....he could bring Tony Levine with him as O-Coordinator
Matt Wells-Utah St.
Doc Holliday-Marshall

Probably some coordinator names could surface.
Scott Frost-Oregon O-Coordinator. Played at Nebraska
Gene Chizik-D Coordinator at NC.

Just throwing names out. Probably lots more.

Frank Solich-Ohio
Jeff Brohm-W. Kentucky
Matt Wells-Utah St.
Doc Holliday-Marshall
Geoff Collins- FL. D-coordinator
Bill Legg- Marshall O-Coordinator

I think a lot of the examples provided here and elsewhere kinda support the premise of the question. None seem much more likely to be successful than say Claeys.

If you are satisfied with .500 and would rather have .500 than take a risk of moving below for the possible benefit of making a great hire and moving above then you stand pat.

For me, a 5-7 season doesn't feel that much different than a 7-5 season. I'd rather go 2-10 a few times with the possibility of having hope than live in .500 purgatory. If you do not share that feeling I get why you wouldn't want to try to make a change.

Regardless of your aversion to risk, to me it is pretty clear that the jerry kill and Tracy C regime is going to be perennially between 5 and 8 wins. Does that mean trying something new? Obviously that is someone else's call. I don't personally think this staff has any hope of getting to the next level in a season. I could be wrong.

Given that we are in (full) season 1 of the Claeys era, it's a little early to project what the perennial performance range will be.

Would be curious to know: for the people who think we should stick with this current staff long term...is it because you think they'll bring a championship or because you think a new staff almost surely is worse?

Yes to both questions. But without certainty on either. I'd say I haven't seen proof yet that Claeys is NOT the guy we want and willing to extend the period out to allow time to see if he IS the guy we want.

Firing Claeys after one season would seem to make a less than highly desirable job ... less desirable to outside candidates.

It won't matter. We have a new AD who didn't hire him. That'll be the least of the concerns for any potential candidates.

It won't matter. We have a new AD who didn't hire him. That'll be the least of the concerns for any potential candidates.

Do you take the not so great job with the school that fired a dude after one season?

That same AD is the guy who fired him....

Matt Wells-Utah St.
Doc Holliday-Marshall

Frost is the head coach at UCF.

Matt Wells-Utah St.
Doc Holliday-Marshall

That coach from Marshall is my huckleberry.

Do you take the not so great job with the school that fired a dude after one season?

That same AD is the guy who fired him....

But Coyle wasn't the guy that hired him. The U hired him because they had no other option without an AD in place. If Coyle was already here, he may have hired someone else other than Claeys.

A new candidate is going to be far more concerned with support of the program going forward. The new facilities are being built. If the job opens, this will be the most attractive a Gopher Football coaching job has appeared, maybe ever. I do think they can go out and hire a top coach, IF the U is willing to pay the money needed to land that coach.

Claeys being fired after one year won't factor in at all. If Claeys came from outside and hadn't been here 6 years, then maybe it would be different.

I dont think we'd be able to that Bi-polar...bunch of 2 win seasons with a 10 win season mixed in, just doesnt happen that way.

But the Coyle wasn't the guy that hired him. The U hired him because they had no other option without an AD in place. If Coyle was already here, he may have hired someone else other than Claeys.

A new candidate is going to be far more concerned with support of the program going forward. The new facilities are being built. If the job opens, this will be the most attractive a Gopher Football coaching job has appeared, maybe ever. I do think they can go out and hire a top coach, IF the U is willing to pay the money needed to land that coach.

Claeys being fired after one year won't factor in at all. If Claeys came from outside and hadn't been here 6 years, then maybe it would be different.

I don't think coaches are that naive to belive that because the AD picked them then they couldn't possibly be fired quickly... just like that same AD just did, because he picked him or something. ADs and coaches relationships are a lot more complex and I'm pretty sure most coaches have seen those relationships turn sour quickly with losses.

The "just spend more money" thing I don't get. If you look at the best coaches they pick the best programs, same with other high profile candidates. Unless the U were to bid insanely high they're not a prime spot for most coaches. And spending a ton could easily could get them stuck in a bad situation too.

For everyone else it is just a crapshoot. Clemson hired their wide receivers coach...

I don't think coaches are that naive to belive that because the AD picked them then they couldn't possibly be fired quickly... just like that same AD just did, because he picked him or something. ADs and coaches relationships are a lot more complex and I'm pretty sure most coaches have seen those relationships turn sour quickly with losses.

The "just spend more money" thing I don't get. If you look at the best coaches they pick the best programs, same with other high profile candidates. Unless the U were to bid insanely high they're not a prime spot for most coaches. And spending a ton could easily could get them stuck in a bad situation too.

For everyone else it is just a crapshoot. Clemson hired their wide receivers coach...

DURR HURR POSITION COACHES CAN'T SUCCEED!!!!!1!!!1!!!1!!

Secondly, not one has yet to answer the question (surprise!) of who would be resonalby hired. I have no candidates, and it seems as it no one else does either.
Jim Grobe.

Coyle would not hire anyone he would consider firing within 3 years. And I'll agree, spending money does not guarantee success, but it usually improves your odds by hiring someone who's in the market to receive that type of money.

I think some are underselling what the U has to offer a coach though. This job would certainly fall behind any helmet school openings, but would be near the top of any mid-level job openings. We have the new stadium, the new facilities, the Big Ten Network money, and are in arguably the most winnable division in any of the major conferences.

Top Bottom