Eli King commits to Iowa State

I hate to be that person, but I think everything going on in Minneapolis right now HAS to be a factor in some kids making decisions currently, especially rural Minnesota players with the perceptions that get beat into their heads as children. I grew up in northern Minnesota, and it’s definitely an us vs them mentality. Minneapolis just isn’t exactly where a lot of parents want their high school kids going right now, living outside their home for the first time.

This is a stacked 2022 class. Plenty of chances to swing big.

I hate to be that person, but I think everything going on in Minneapolis right now HAS to be a factor in some kids making decisions currently, especially rural Minnesota players with the perceptions that get beat into their heads as children. I grew up in northern Minnesota, and it’s definitely an us vs them mentality. Minneapolis just isn’t exactly where a lot of parents want their high school kids going right now, living outside their home for the first time.

Well, maybe we shouldn't count on rubes coming here then and adjust our recruiting accordingly.

We will see. Most people from the board seem to be from metro area. They really can't relate to the mind set of kids and parents from out state. But hey Alexandria's Treyton Thompson will be going to the U. We will see, outside of Lee from Byron, every other '22 recruit from Minnesota is metro area.
Majority of people on the board live in the metro area because the majority of Minnesotans live in the metro area. Same reason majority of Gopher recruits from MN are metro kids.

You clearly have your mind made up, so why are you asking me?

I didn't think we ever had a good chance with King. Small-town kid who grew up closer to Iowa than Minneapolis. Not super shocked he wants a small-town campus environment

There is more support for the Gophers in outstate MN than the metro.

Typically the U of M does very well with outstate recruits. This is true. But Caledonia is closer to Iowa and Ames is basically Caledonia plus out state parents are afraid of Minneapolis and I’m missing other excuses but they are valid!

Have you spent any time in southern Minnesota...? Might as well be northern Iowa.
No this is not the case. Northern Iowa resembles southern Minnesota!

But in all seriousness there isn’t a big Iowa/Iowa St following in SEMN. If anything it would be more slanted towards Wisconsin but the gophers are still much more favored in those parts.

This decision has nothing to do with geography.

Typically the U of M does very well with outstate recruits. This is true. But Caledonia is closer to Iowa and Ames is basically Caledonia plus out state parents are afraid of Minneapolis and I’m missing other excuses but they are valid!
I think so called out state parents aren’t particularly scared of Minneapolis. Most have spent a great deal of time in the TwIn Cities as they have grown up. Unless your point is in the last year with all the craziness going on they now are scared is a possibility I suppose Only excuse I see is more of a fact of relationships with present ISU coach and committed player. I’ll certainly give Ben a pass on this one .

I think so called out state parents aren’t particularly scared of Minneapolis. Most have spent a great deal of time in the TwIn Cities as they have grown up. Unless your point is in the last year with all the craziness going on they now are scared is a possibility I suppose Only excuse I see is more of a fact of relationships with present ISU coach and committed player. I’ll certainly give Ben a pass on this one .
I was being facetious. Other users have posted that. Vast majority have no issues with Minneapolis.

Caledonia is 205 miles from Ames and 160 miles from Minneapolis for the record.

From what I gleaned from my mom's Irish American relatives that mainly grew up around Waukon and Decorah Iowa (and a few up by Austin MN- Maddens, almost most were Iowa Hawkeye fans, not ISU fans.
I was joking. People on here are saying these things.

BJ may be late to the table for the current top MN HS seniors, but he is showing he is a dogged recruiter.

It's show me you can coach time. If the Gophers did relatively well after one season with the incoming rag tag group of players, he may start turning heads. We'll soon see how much of a sway he has.

Most kids get recruited early in HS and develop relationships with recruiters and coaches.

I think he is going to work out rather well in the end. Give it time. We have a tendency to fire coaches every four to six years. Pitino lasted a little longer. He is a likable guy.

Well, maybe we shouldn't count on rubes coming here then and adjust our recruiting accordingly.
It has nothing to do with being a ‘rube’, it has everything to do with current events and perception of Minneapolis, and how divided we are as a state.

I don't see what that has to do with my comment. I said King, specifically, likes the small-town vibe.

We are talking about an individual, not an overall fan demographic.

It has nothing to do with being a ‘rube’, it has everything to do with current events and perception of Minneapolis, and how divided we are as a state.

Well, look, I live in a small town in a rural area of the state. I'm not thrilled about that but I do. I go to the cities when I get the chance. My adult children live there. I always enjoy myself there and no one treats me badly. If folks outside the metro hate the metro, that's their problem.

So is this what is going to happen everytime a Minnesota recruit decides to go somewhere else? Yes, one of the selling points with Johnson was his ability to improve our in-state recruiting. But that doesn't mean that every good player in the state is going to instantly stay home. Many are still going to leave. On top of that, Johnson will almost certainly fill some of the recruiting slots with out of state kids as well.

Deep breaths....this is just one recruit.....probably not time to panic just yet.... :)

So is this what is going to happen everytime a Minnesota recruit decides to go somewhere else? Yes, one of the selling points with Johnson was his ability to improve our in-state recruiting. But that doesn't mean that every good player in the state is going to instantly stay home. Many are still going to leave. On top of that, Johnson will almost certainly fill some of the recruiting slots with out of state kids as well.

Deep breaths....this is just one recruit.....probably not time to panic just yet.... :)

Ultimately the posters who just cannot accept the fact that Coyle hired Ben without their approval are going to hang onto Coyle saying he expected Ben to recruit Minnesota better.
Obviously now that Ben has been on the job 3 weeks and a Minnesota kid left, it's the perfect opportunity for them to remind all of us just how upset they are about this hire.

You guys need to stop wasting your time freaking out saying Ben isn't getting Minnesota Guys. King was a TJ follower and it didn't matter who the Gophers got. They could have gotten Roy Williams out of retirement and King is still going to Ames. I don't know what TJ Otz says to recruits but he must be one smooth mothertrucker the ways he gets kids and family to ride his coat-tails straight into a blizzard. Hell, Caleb Grill committed to TJ when TJ was at SDSU, de-committed when TJ left to UNLV, barely chose to go to Iowa State over UNLV, transfers to UNLV after 1 year to play for TJ, TJ then leaves for IOWA STATE and Grill follows! Imagine going back to the school you left! It's unbelievable. TJ Otz can't coach college basketball to save his life, but he can get people to bow down to him like no other...

You guys need to stop wasting your time freaking out saying Ben isn't getting Minnesota Guys. King was a TJ follower and it didn't matter who the Gophers got. They could have gotten Roy Williams out of retirement and King is still going to Ames. I don't know what TJ Otz says to recruits but he must be one smooth mothertrucker the ways he gets kids and family to ride his coat-tails straight into a blizzard. Hell, Caleb Grill committed to TJ when TJ was at SDSU, de-committed when TJ left to UNLV, barely chose to go to Iowa State over UNLV, transfers to UNLV after 1 year to play for TJ, TJ then leaves for IOWA STATE and Grill follows! Imagine going back to the school you left! It's unbelievable. TJ Otz can't coach college basketball to save his life, but he can get people to bow down to him like no other...
I don't get it either, very overrated coach but can land these recruits like none other

Really? 70-33 at SDSU, two conference titles, two NCAA tournaments, and he can't coach? Sounds like if it was his coaching holding them back, with a "real" coach, they may have won the National Title!

Top Bottom