Eli King commits to Iowa State

There are 9 MN kids in this class with Gopher offers, can't get all of them.
Agreed. It'd be great to just get 2+ IMO. Holloman would be huge but I'd be alright without. If you miss out on King/Holloman, get the kids that will play your style.

McKinley Wright and David Roddy weren't the highest ranked kids...

Not opposed to going out of state either but you'd think we could at least grab 1 or 2 from this class.

Last edited:

If I were Eli King, I would absolutely love to play with Tre Holloman. Their games really compliment each others.
He wanted to play with another pg who is already committed to Iowa State.

He wanted to play with another pg who is already committed to Iowa State.

Yeah, that makes sense. I was just saying, I don't think he was shying away from MN due to Holloman potentially being on the horizon.

That doesn't mean that - in three weeks' time - he can change a kid's mind who has a decision this early.
Or that he/his staff couldn't still change a commit's mind before signing day.

If I were Eli King, I would absolutely love to play with Tre Holloman. Their games really compliment each others.
How do their games compliment each other? King is another good athlete and poor shooter, seems like those 2 wouldnt be a good pair. He needs to play with another guard that can shoot.

Wanna let us know when kids committing elsewhere falls on Ben? I’m cool with a pass on class of 2021. 2022 seems like a class BenJo can make some headway in. King didn’t have to commit today...

You clearly have your mind made up, so why are you asking me?

I didn't think we ever had a good chance with King. Small-town kid who grew up closer to Iowa than Minneapolis. Not super shocked he wants a small-town campus environment

How do their games compliment each other? King is another good athlete and poor shooter, seems like those 2 wouldnt be a good pair. He needs to play with another guard that can shoot.
I see Eli King as a shooting guard who is a stronger kind of athlete than Holloman. I think he is probably more of a natural scorer. I also think he'll be an average shooter in college (34-35% from 3 and +70% FT).

I see Tre more as a natural PG who will be further along on defense than offense.

I think Tre and Eli would be a really athletic backcourt. You're right in that they would be great with some shooters around them but I don't think Eli is going to be a bad shooter and I think Tre will be a plus offensive player.

TJ Otzelberger was Eli's older brother's coach at SDSU. I think this has a lot more to do with TJO than it does Iowa State. There has been a longstanding family relationship here between TJO and the Kings. I'm not really sweating this.

You clearly have your mind made up, so why are you asking me?

I didn't think we ever had a good chance with King. Small-town kid who grew up closer to Iowa than Minneapolis. Not super shocked he wants a small-town campus environment
Caledonia is an hour closer to Dinkytown than it is to Ames.

I'm being sincere on what you think though. Like if he goes 1/8 with 2022, is that on him or is him getting a late start with the class not on him? I know when Richard was hired we heard it a lot about the Tyus/Travis/Vaughn group--that he didn't have enough time. Don't know the difference in time now compared to that group though.

TJ Otzelberger was Eli's older brother's coach at SDSU. I think this has a lot more to do with TJO than it does Iowa State. There has been a longstanding family relationship here between TJO and the Kings. I'm not really sweating this.
TJO = Iowa State

That makes no sense since Iowa state just fired their coach. Unless he was going to Iowa state regardless of who the coach is as they offer a better education in whatever he wants to study. If that’s the case more power to him.
Iowa State with a new coach and rebuild makes this puzzling . Especially this early? Location and small town feel maybe. And frankly probably a better program the last how many years . Big Twelve I personally think plays more of a open court game maybe plays in as well.

So the excuses are:
BJ didn't have time to recruit him. Fair, but turns out TJO just started too.

TJO already had recruited the Kings. Sure, but he left Owen high and dry at SDSU after 1 season

Listen I get we won't land every kid, but I will continue to say that we should not be making excuses for losing a kid to a team with a new head coach and to a program that went 2-22. You lose Hurt/Jones to Duke, Walton to UNC, MHA boys to Gonzaga ok, this being ok losing out on kids to freaking Iowa st is nothing I can say is good

Agreed. It'd be great to just get 2+ IMO. Holloman would be huge but I'd be alright without. If you miss out on King/Holloman, get the kids that will play your style.

McKinley Wright and David Roddy weren't the highest ranked kids...

Not opposed to going out of state either but you'd think we could at least grab 1 or 2 from this class.
Thing is we could have hired any coach out there to do this. A huge part of hiring Johnson was to keep local kids here.

This.

Was just going to post a comment to this effect. Some kids, and it can (not guaranteed, but definitely can) be influenced by where they grew up, just don't want any part of a very urban campus like the U.

Caledonia is an hour closer to Dinkytown than it is to Ames.

I'm being sincere on what you think though. Like if he goes 1/8 with 2022, is that on him or is him getting a late start with the class not on him? I know when Richard was hired we heard it a lot about the Tyus/Travis/Vaughn group--that he didn't have enough time. Don't know the difference in time now compared to that group though.

But would you say Caledonia life is closer to the experience in Ames or Minneapolis?

On your 2nd graf, it's 1 kid of out of 9 in this Minnesota 2022 class. I have no idea how I'll feel in 6 months or a year.

I can say I'd be more excited about getting McNeilly and Miller from A&M than Eli King. One was higher rated than King and the other is a well established scorer at the P6 level.

If he goes 0-fer with the top 6 2022 kids, it will be very ominous.

Especially if they are bad next season.

I said this when Ben was hired, the first two years are the most important for him. If he can put together a competitive season next season and land several in state 2022 kids, then the future is bright.

If the opposite happens, he's not going to last long.

Top Bottom