Eli King commits to Iowa State

Why are we worried about whats the campus and the people are like at Iowa State. Every campus has its good and perhaps not so good points. Every University has good majors to choose from. Every player that visits a particular campus will either have good feelings, an ok feeling or not so good feelings. A player simply has to pick a school that is right for him or her. If King felt great at Iowa State, then thats where he should go. Do you want him to go to the U here if he didn't have a good feeling? No, his heart wouldn't be right.
Bringing the heat!

So, I have not read this entire thread - but I have relatives in SE MN, so I think this is accurate:

The Head Coach at Iowa State used to be the head Coach at So Dakota State. Eli King's older brother Owen King was recruited by that coach to SDSU. FWIW, when the Coach moved to Iowa State, Owen King lost playing time under the new coach and transferred to Winona State.

But, the point is that the Iowa State Coach had recruited King's brother, so he had an established relationship with the King family, giving Iowa State a big leg up in the recruiting process.

So, I have not read this entire thread - but I have relatives in SE MN, so I think this is accurate:

The Head Coach at Iowa State used to be the head Coach at So Dakota State. Eli King's older brother Owen King was recruited by that coach to SDSU. FWIW, when the Coach moved to Iowa State, Owen King lost playing time under the new coach and transferred to Winona State.

But, the point is that the Iowa State Coach had recruited King's brother, so he had an established relationship with the King family, giving Iowa State a big leg up in the recruiting process.
Not only that, the middle King son (Noah) had verbally committed to the coach prior to him leaving SDSU. When coach left SDSU, Noah backed out of his commitment and Owen transferred.

Fair to say the King family has a lot of respect for him.

Yep, for those not looking to just bash Johnson this angle has been discussed as to why King would have a lot of interest in Iowa State.

But for those that are still salty about the hire, things like that don't matter as apparently Johnson has to sign every top Minnesota kid in 2022 or he is a total failure and we were sold a false bill of goods by Coyle.

Nailed it.

Can we just create a

SON Summary Thread

where you can just summarize each of the other threads so most of us can be kept updated without have to wade through all the other BS?

It's not additional ammo. That was how it was sold to the public. It put a target on Ben prematurely.

But your point is correct. The people who don't like the hiring, it'll give them layups to rip Ben. For the casual fan, they'll notice the locals signing elsewhere. For the people who loved the hiring of Ben Johnson because they expected local recruiting, you'd think this would start to bother them (if it continues). For the people who liked Ben's hiring regardless of local recruiting, that's just weird.
If “the people who liked Ben's hiring regardless of local recruiting” includes the Star Tribune, Souhan stated their reason for hiring quite succinctly. So it’s not really “weird.” The bottom line is that we will likely never know the actual factors that went into Coyle’s decision.

Your heads in your ass then. My kid goes to the U and there is crime everywhere. He had his wallet pickpocketed a couple of months ago. It’s just a short trip from Little Mogidishu and all the criminals there. You must have missed the shootings in Dinkytown earlier this year. Pay attention!
Hey, I thought I'd give you an update because I know you're trembling in your house and peering out through the curtains in fear, and you seemed very concerned for my well being:

I came back to the Cities this weekend. I took my mom to the Wolves game on Saturday. As I drove from her place in Roseville to the Target Center, I looked to and fro for the gunfire and public beatings that I was sure I would see, but I didn't spot anything other than people walking and biking and shopping.

After the game we had a drink on the patio at O'Donovan's. I kept my hands in my pockets the whole time because I was positive someone would swipe my phone or my wallet. To my astonishment, no one even tried.

On the way back, we stopped at the campus and walked around for 30 minutes or so. I told my mom that you had warned me that I couldn't go five steps without being a victim of a violent crime. To prepare, I gave my mom some mace and a rape whistle and made sure my life insurance was up to date and left my wife a tender note urging her to move on after I was knifed to death by someone in the shadows in Dinkytown. Amazingly, the evening proceeded without incident.

I'll try again in another month or so. Maybe it was just an off day.

Your heads in your ass then. My kid goes to the U and there is crime everywhere. He had his wallet pickpocketed a couple of months ago. It’s just a short trip from Little Mogidishu and all the criminals there. You must have missed the shootings in Dinkytown earlier this year. Pay attention!
Lol yikes. I like that the reasonings for your opinion is one pickpocket incident and blatant racism.

I'm a graduate from Duluth in the past five years and had friends go to school around the state. One of my roommates got robbed at gunpoint in Duluth, I had a friend get jumped outside a bar in St. Cloud, and people I knew that went to Mankato had their cars broken into multiple times. The only reason you think the Twin Cities is worse is there are dark skinned people around. College kids are generally high targets for petty crime no matter where you are.

We have to break the Iowa/Iowa State chains in SW Minnesota. That should be Gopher Country.

Lol yikes. I like that the reasonings for your opinion is one pickpocket incident and blatant racism.

I'm a graduate from Duluth in the past five years and had friends go to school around the state. One of my roommates got robbed at gunpoint in Duluth, I had a friend get jumped outside a bar in St. Cloud, and people I knew that went to Mankato had their cars broken into multiple times. The only reason you think the Twin Cities is worse is there are dark skinned people around. College kids are generally high targets for petty crime no matter where you are.
He also brought up a shooting in Dinkytown that you didn't mention.

Stop trying to guilt people away from discussing crime. Crime, in Minneapolis, is increasing. Violent crime is up over 20%. As you pointed out, vulnerable areas (near bars, universities, poorer neighborhoods) are shouldering the disproportionate impact of the increase in crime. It's pretty obvious the poster was using real life examples of the known increase in violent crime. He probably didn't think he'd need better sources on something everyone knew.

He also brought up a shooting in Dinkytown that you didn't mention.

Stop trying to guilt people away from discussing crime. Crime, in Minneapolis, is increasing. Violent crime is up over 20%. As you pointed out, vulnerable areas (near bars, universities, poorer neighborhoods) are shouldering the disproportionate impact of the increase in crime. It's pretty obvious the poster was using real life examples of the known increase in violent crime. He probably didn't think he'd need better sources on something everyone knew.
Discussing crime is fine. Rising crime in Minneapolis is an issue that we should seriously talk about.

What I have an issue with is him implying that the U is significantly more dangerous than the average college and then implying it is because of "Little Mogadishu and it's criminals" when Cedar-Riverside has a lower crime rate than Marcy Holmes and most of the other areas surrounding campus. That is pretty racist and not constructive at all.

Top Bottom