Eli King commits to Iowa State

This.

Was just going to post a comment to this effect. Some kids, and it can (not guaranteed, but definitely can) be influenced by where they grew up, just don't want any part of a very urban campus like the U.
Some like a Kevin Mchale embraced it. Every kid is different in that respect. It sounds like relationships built over time was the deciding factor.

Especially if they are bad next season.

I said this when Ben was hired, the first two years are the most important for him. If he can put together a competitive season next season and land several in state 2022 kids, then the future is bright.

If the opposite happens, he's not going to last long.
Unfortunately there is no reason to think they will be good next year. A lot can change and there a thousands of kids in the portal still, but I am underwhelmed by who he has brought in vs who he lost. I was all for clearing house of last years team too, but man they could be historically bad next year.

Figured it was a small chance to get King - just a feeling that it wasn't going to happen. Small town kid, connection with other 2022 commit, TJ connection at ISU.

Ben has said they can't get them all and/or take them all. First domino drops. Many more to go. Some will go our way and some won't. Guessing they have gone all in on Holloman. He's the Alpha for this class and Ben has to find someway to reel him in.

I said this when Ben was hired, the first two years are the most important for him. If he can put together a competitive season next season and land several in state 2022 kids, then the future is bright.

Bad being relative, they're not going to be anywhere close to an NCAA team next year IMO, so it's pretty important he has a good Fall recruiting class.

Can you recruiting wonks fill me in? Who are the important Minnesota kids (to get) in the '22 class?

King
Holloman
Heide

Those are the 3 I've heard talked about the most.

Are there any others in their ballpark?

But would you say Caledonia life is closer to the experience in Ames or Minneapolis?

On your 2nd graf, it's 1 kid of out of 9 in this Minnesota 2022 class. I have no idea how I'll feel in 6 months or a year.

I can say I'd be more excited about getting McNeilly and Miller from A&M than Eli King. One was higher rated than King and the other is a well established scorer at the P6 level.
Well that is an excuse I haven’t heard. Can’t expect any kids not from metro areas since most colleges aren’t in metro areas. But then you can’t use the “some kids want to leave where they’ve been their entire life!” Excuse because you can’t have both.

I don’t think the gophers have offered 9 MN kids in 2022. Have they? If so they better get more than 1.

On to the next one but if I was a betting man they won’t be getting the top local kids in 2022.

Holloman, Heide, Watson-Saulsberry, Lee, Carrington, Aligbe
Curious what Aligbe does. Feel like many have cooled on him but he’ll be featured more next year than ever in his high school career. Freak athlete. Big kid. Good football player.

That makes no sense since Iowa state just fired their coach. Unless he was going to Iowa state regardless of who the coach is as they offer a better education in whatever he wants to study. If that’s the case more power to him.
Exactly. Not that all things are equal, but all things being equal--at least between Minnesota and ISU--this was a 50/50 ball between two new coaches, a joust at the volleyball net. And the in-state team should have had an advantage. This is just demoralizing, and I hope it doesn't bode poorly for the *hopes* that Johnson was going to be a great local recruiter.

Exactly. Not that all things are equal, but all things being equal--at least between Minnesota and ISU--this was a 50/50 ball between two new coaches, a joust at the volleyball net. And the in-state team should have had an advantage. This is just demoralizing, and I hope it doesn't bode poorly for the *hopes* that Johnson was going to be a great local recruiter.
There have been mentions of TJ having a relationship with the King family so I'll give him the benefit on that one. Still think the U had a shot, but still plenty of other guys to take plenty of other shots.

Well that is an excuse I haven’t heard. Can’t expect any kids not from metro areas since most colleges aren’t in metro areas. But then you can’t use the “some kids want to leave where they’ve been their entire life!” Excuse because you can’t have both.

I don’t think the gophers have offered 9 MN kids in 2022. Have they? If so they better get more than 1.

On to the next one but if I was a betting man they won’t be getting the top local kids in 2022.

Um, so recruits don't factor in the type of town/campus environment when making a decision?

Look, I know you've had a raging boner for King for awhile, so you're disappointed. But why do you keep coming at me? I told you why I thought King was never going to Minnesota. You keep conflating that into the rest of the 2022 class and how you see it playing out.

Quotes today were that King had an offer going back to Pitino. People don’t seem to know what the relationship with Pitino’s staff or the new staff was.

Um, so recruits don't factor in the type of town/campus environment when making a decision?

Look, I know you've had a raging boner for King for awhile, so you're disappointed. But why do you keep coming at me? I told you why I thought King was never going to Minnesota. You keep conflating that into the rest of the 2022 class and how you see it playing out.
I’m asking questions. I’ll stop. But when metro area kids leave you’ll say it isn’t on Johnson because they wanted something different than what they’ve known their whole life. When non metro kids go elsewhere it’s because they wanted what they know. You see the issue?

Love the spin.
Small town kids want to go to smaller more rural campuses like ISU. With local kids, some of them just want to go away for school.

I asked when he was hired when it would be reasonable to start judging the recruiting and I'm still not sure. I'm hoping for 1 of Holloman and Heide.

Lots of sad faces here today. Remember something: it never pays to get too invested in any one recruit. When you get invested in a recruit, there are three possible occurrences:

1) the recruit can come to your program and be good;

2) the recruit can come to your program and not be very good;

3) the recruit can go to some other program.

Two of the three alternatives are disappointing so why set yourself up for that?

I learned this a long time ago with Evan Turner. I was a huge fan when he was in college. When my favorite NBA team, the Sixers, had the #2 pick and he announced he was only working out for the Sixers I was ecstatic. But, he never lived up to his draft status. For a long time I refused to see this and did things like blame the coach for not playing him enough or the right way or whatever or argued with other Sixers fans' who said he was a bad pick. The coach and the other fans were right.

I'll never do that again. DON'T GET INVESTED IN ANY ONE RECRUIT! Instead, wait and see and leave yourself open for the pleasant surprises (like Jordan Murphy). That way you're only pleasantly surprised. If someone doesn't come to your team or comes to your team but sucks, well, you never cared enough anyway to be disappointed.

The concern is that, under those circumstances, he WOULD still last long for the same reason Pitino did: an allowance that he's learning on the job and that things are about to turn around. Make no mistake: whether he wants to admit it or not, Coyle was targeting the 2022 class with the timing of this hire. And make no mistake: Coyle will give this hire every chance to work out, and then some--even if it means giving it more time than it deserves.

The concern is that, under those circumstances, he WOULD still last long for the same reason Pitino did: an allowance that he's learning on the job and that things are about to turn around. Make no mistake: whether he wants to admit it or not, Coyle was targeting the 2022 class with the timing of this hire. And make no mistake: Coyle will give this hire every chance to work out, and then some--even if it means giving it more time than it deserves.

Pitino won the NIT in year 1 and looked like a very competent coach that year. He had the really bad year 3, but a lot went wrong. You could see that team had talent, and it paid off the following year.

If Johnson doesn't look competent next year, and misses on much of the 2022 class, that will be very bad. They won't be able to give him another 6 years to figure it out.

This news is disappointing but if he can land a couple good transfers for next season, plus land Holloman and a few others in 2022, all is well.

And make no mistake: Coyle will give this hire every chance to work out, and then some--even if it means giving it more time than it deserves.

Of course he will. He set the precedent by giving an undeserving Italian American prince 8 years. If he doesn't give a homegrown black man who worked his way up the ranks the same amount of rope, well, I don't think I have to spell it out.

Pitino won the NIT in year 1 and looked like a very competent coach that year. He had the really bad year 3, but a lot went wrong. You could see that team had talent, and it paid off the following year.

His second year sucked too. Major disappointment considering Year 1. The first of his five Weakling Wednesdays.

You clearly have your mind made up, so why are you asking me?

I didn't think we ever had a good chance with King. Small-town kid who grew up closer to Iowa than Minneapolis. Not super shocked he wants a small-town campus environment
This is why I'm not surprised he's going to Ames. These guys need to remember he's from Caldonia, not Hopkins

Curious what Aligbe does. Feel like many have cooled on him but he’ll be featured more next year than ever in his high school career. Freak athlete. Big kid. Good football player.
Lol you've said this a few times, I don't even think he plays football. You're thinking of Chase Carter

I’m asking questions. I’ll stop. But when metro area kids leave you’ll say it isn’t on Johnson because they wanted something different than what they’ve known their whole life. When non metro kids go elsewhere it’s because they wanted what they know. You see the issue?

My issue is I'm freaking out cause how can some guy on a message board who I've never met read my thoughts from the future?? Doc? Marty? Biff? Someone help!

Since we playing this game, how will YOU downplay it when we land a 4-star SG and a 16 and 7 guy from the SEC for NEXT season?

Top Bottom