Doogie/Myron on Twitter - White investigated in another theft

borninthebarn

True Believer
Reaction score
Some tweets from Doogie/Myron"

Doogie: Hearing news of more ALLEGED BS involving athletes is forthcoming ... are we turning into Iowa North?
Then later: Can clarify slightly ... may be just 1 athlete

Myron: Police are investigating Royce White as a possible suspect in an on-campus theft Sat., according to U officials

If true, good lord. He must not want to play very badly. Hopefully a misunderstanding or he just got rounded up as a "usual suspect".

This is beyond frustrating. Can there please just be some good news to come from any of the U sports I care about?

I can't imagine he's THAT stupid. To do something like that when he's already suspended, I'm not buying it. I'm sure the people on here who already hate him and think he should never play for us assume that he's guilty because of his past. I guess that's justifiable at this point though. I just think that he couldn't have done something that stupid when I'm sure he's already been warned that he's on his last straw.

It's not a concept often embraced on the 'net or the world of Tweets, but I'm keeping my powder dry unless there are charges brought. This kind of "instant-reporting" of "investigations" is just one (very small) step above rumor-mongering, IMO, unless there's attribution to legitimate sources.

Some tweets from Doogie/Myron"

Doogie: Hearing news of more ALLEGED BS involving athletes is forthcoming ... are we turning into Iowa North?

Can clarify slightly ... may be just 1 athlete

Myron: Police are investigating Royce White as a possible suspect in an on-campus theft Sat., according to U officials

If true, good lord. He must not want to play very badly.

I do not see Royce White playing for the Gophers this season...maybe ever. Call this an over-reaction, but this young man has some MAJOR issues if this is true. I have backed up Royce 100 percent so far, but wow, this is simply ridiculous. If for some reason this is all true, the program needs to wash their hands of him and get the young man some help.

This behavior sounds very much like something Royce White would do so I give him very little benefit of the doubt. His record cost him that benefit.

When White was caught cheating I thought, "well we can take a chance but one screwup and he must be kicked off the team". Keeping this guy around is playing with fire and not worth the risk. He will bring more shame to the University, the program and Tubby the longer he is allowed to hang around. When we kick him off the team I really hope he leaves the area and has no contact with anybody associated with the bball program ever again.

Royce has lost the benefit of the doubt with his prior actions and should never be allowed to play a game for the U. I was one who thought Tubby would get through to him and help him grow up, but I guess it is impossible to change someone who is not willing to try and change.

I don't think the U would publicly name him as a suspect if they didn't have some solid evidence. So disappointing, and I guess we should've questioned how a once or twice every ten years talent in Minnesota gets kicked out of DeLasalle. I'm guessing it wasn't an isolated incident. There's no question in my mind that this is it for him at the U unless there's photo evidence of him being elsewhere. There's got to be some serious personality disorder or chemical issue if he'd do something like this straight off a public humiliation a week earlier. If true, this can't be attributed to being caught-up with the wrong crowd, it's his own character flaw.

This behavior sounds very much like something Royce White would do so I give him very little benefit of the doubt. His record cost him that benefit.

exactly. after you're kick out of your high school, kicked out of two dorms, throw balls at the back of your future teammates, are known for your temper, got arrested a few weeks ago for shoplifting, assaulted a security guard, and pretty much just come off as a huge jerk...you kind of lose the benefit of the doubt.

i don't have much doubt he'll never play a minute for the gophers...but with his track record, are there even nba gm's that think they can keep him in control and out of trouble? the sad thing is, character doesn't matter, and he will get drafted. i'm fine with that, better their problem than ours.

obviously not a lot of legal experts on this board. whether he has lost the benefit of the doubt or not, he is still allowed due process.

so before you ASSume that he is guilty, let's get past this initial report.

Royce

If he did this, he needs to be kicked off the team and out of school.

If his first few weeks in college are any indication, I shudder to think what he got away with at Hopkins.

It's not a concept often embraced on the 'net or the world of Tweets, but I'm keeping my powder dry unless there are charges brought. This kind of "instant-reporting" of "investigations" is just one (very small) step above rumor-mongering, IMO, unless there's attribution to legitimate sources.

agree. something tells me he may be an unfortunate "victim" of being included on a list of "usual suspects" because of what happened at the mall of america and how highly it was publicized over the last week. let's certainly hope that is it.

to trigger finger myron medcalf - way to work your sources and follow up with the umpd first. nah.....instead just run with it (gotta beat the paper across the river right?!) and tell the u of m communications office that you will be running a poorly written and sourced story no matter what and they can give a blanket statement if they want.

Myron will have more I'm sure ... Tom Lyden from CH 9, I was just told, has been working on this since early afternoon ... may have more coming up on the 9p news ... heard it involves a laptop ... remember, everything is ALLEGED at this point, and to presume innocence before guilt, but could potentially be very bad.

I don't think the U would publicly name him as a suspect if they didn't have some solid evidence

Who said the police publicly named him a suspect?

If he did this, he needs to be kicked off the team and out of school.

If his first few weeks in college are any indication, I shudder to think what he got away with at Hopkins.

Sadly it seems to be a good question I pray that its no not and this is just bad police work.

What due process does the U owe him? In the court he gets every benefit afforded to any accused. On this board he only gets the benefit each person chooses to give him. I give him none.

Wisconsin kicked two kids off the team for theft. We must kick this clown off the team and hopefully get him far away from the U of M. He is poison.

White should have already been kicked off the team for what we know is true about him. If these latest allegations are also true, six months in prison sounds about right. It will be an absolute embarrassment for the U if this creep ever plays even one minute for the Gophers BB team.

Worst written article in Strib history?
Police are investigating Gophers freshman men's basketball player Royce White, last year's Minnesota Mr. Basketball, as a possible suspect in a Saturday night theft on the University of Minnesota campus, according to athletic department spokesman Garry Bowman.

White is currently serving an indefinite suspension after being arrested Oct. 13 on allegations of shoplifting and fifth-degree assault of a security guard at the Mall of America.

According to a police account of that incident, a Macy's security officer confronted White, who was with three other males, and tried to handcuff the 6-8, 240-pound power forward after he allegedly attempted to steal about $100 worth of merchandise. The police report said White pushed the security guard "down to the ground two times."

Bloomington officers eventually arrived and arrested White, who was released with citations.

Last week, Gophers men's basketball coach Tubby Smith said that White has been suspended indefinitely for an unspecified violation of team rules. He did not say how long the suspension would last.

Recruiting White was seen as a risk for the university. He was dismissed from De La Salle in Minneapolis for academic misconduct in 2008 and spent his senior year at Hopkins, helping the team to the state Class 4A title.

Wow, this kid has some major issues. Basketball shouldn't be his current priority.

I already know everything I need to know about Mr. White. He should never have been given a scholarship to play basketball for the U of M. We need to have have higher standards than what he has to offer.

Doogie

Can you confirm he is the only athlete involved?

Heard another athlete is mentioned in a police report ... the way it was described to me, it sounds like nothing, so I will refrain from mentioning the sport ... but I know others are working on something ... still trying to find out more myself.

A Gopher Athletic Spokesman named him a suspect.

no, a u of m spokeman had to confirm myron's inquiry when he went and told them that he had learned of this (slimy sources i am sure) and that he was going to publish a poorly written article in reference to it. at that point the u of m spokeman doesn't really have a choice to keep it private - which should be royce's right - and has to confirm it.

i am sure you and your fellow media whores will make sure and present it that way......even if you don't have all the facts first. that is what you are all the best at! even if there is no evidence yet (that the press knows about) that he did anything and is possibly just in the unfortunate situation of being thrown onto a list of "usual suspect" because of all the negative local press he received over the last week.

but, until you have all the facts and then report (hey what a novel idea!) you guys go ahead and hide behind the tried and true "but remember folks we are all innocent until proven guilty" cover. just so long as you beat that publishing deadline. :rolleyes:

What do you expect? For the media to completely ignore an alleged theft where Royce White is a confirmed suspect by a UMN official until after the trial?

Wisconsin kicked two kids off the team for theft. We must kick this clown off the team and hopefully get him far away from the U of M. He is poison.

This has nothing to do with Royce and if he's guilty I'm fine with him getting kicked off.

But I'm pretty sick of seeing this about Wisconsin because it's not entirely true. Both those kids were suspended initially. Diamond Taylor left school and transferred before he was ever kicked off. Glover was kicked off but he was also a walkon. It's not like it was necessary to yank his scholarship or leave a scholarship open. Also, to this point their thefts were of much greater value and was also on campus from fellow students.

Now, all that said...again, if Royce is guilty here I have no problem and actually would encourage that he be dismissed from the team. He's had his chances to change his life. It's sad a kid pisses away an opportunity for his life like this but maybe it's what he needs to wake up.

Bronko

The media is not making this stuff up. Royce White is doing these things. Be mad at him. He is the one shaming this program. Every day he is a part of the program is a bad day for the program. Get him out of here.

What do you expect? For the media to completely ignore an alleged theft where Royce White is a confirmed suspect by a UMN official until after the trial?

he is being investigated as a possible suspect (perhaps even just a person of interest, which myron being the great reporter he is does not clarify), not a confirmed suspect. there is a VERY BIG difference between those two my friend. VERY BIG difference. that difference is so big in fact that i find it very disturbing that the local press ran with this "story" before having all the facts from the umpd and the u of m.

What's going on here?

Sure, the Gophers are going to be fine this season, but the recent criminal allegations of two star recruits doesn’t exactly paint a bright picture of the future.
In the last two weeks, three players, including talented forwards Trevor Mbakwe and Royce White, have been suspended indefinitely.
Mbakwe will likely miss half the season as he awaits a trial for an felony assault charge stemming to an incident in April where the 6-foot-8 junior is accused of striking a woman at 2 a.m.
White has been suspended for shop-lifting and fifth-degree assault.
But it gets worse...
He is also being investigated for an on-campus robbery that took place Saturday.
If these allegations are true, I don’t think you’ll ever see White play for the Gophers — ever.
The suspensions of White and Mbakwe reach well beyond this season.
It just doesn’t look good for the university.
Not only is coach Tubby Smith already fed-up with answering questions about his suspended players, which also includes reserve guard Devron Bostick, but not having White and Mbakwe active hurts Minnesota’s chances of landing blue-chip recruits like senior Cory Joseph.
Joseph might be re-considering where he places Minnesota on his list of prestigious college choices.
Why would he want to come play for a program where his the most “talented” players spent time in the wrong kind of court?

I'm attempting to be in tune with Rick on this one; at this point, it's allegations. His past history may make his innocence seem unlikely, but it does not make him guilty. Not yet anyway.

That being said-when I read this post, the first name that came to my mind was Willie Williams, the notoriously talented and troubled linebacker who began his college career at Miami, bounced around to several different colleges, and when I last read about him was involved in a robbery. I can't imagine White remaining on the team if this latest allegation holds. What a shame and what a squandering of an opportunity.

Finally, since the Mbawke/White/Bostick suspensions came down, I've read numerous lamentations about the Gophers athletic department being snakebit or cursed or surrounded by negativity. Frankly, I find it pretty overblown, at least on the basketball side of things. You want some good news? We have a coach in place who has brought the program (in a very short time) to the point where this news does not spell disaster for the season or the program. The program is at a point where it is bigger than one player; while the loss of Royce White or Trevor Mbawke may be difficult to weather, it's not disastrous. Approaching the third season of Tubby Smith's tenure, we have a veteran team fresh off a NCAA berth. White or Mbawke very well may never play a minute for this program, but the program will endure. That's good news.

Top Bottom