Do you agree with the decision to fire Coach Claeys?

Do you agree with the decision to fire Coach Claeys?

• Yes, it was the right decision

Votes: 74 28.9%
  • No, it was not the right decision

Votes: 182 71.1%

• Total voters
I liked Tracy and I think this was all handled in the most clumsy fricking way. I wish the staff around him could have stayed and another coach with better communications skills was put in place. I really think that this after the incident mess was more than Tracy's fault, but he and the staff are taking the fall because Tracy didn't get in line with his bosses when he needed to. He should have known better.

If TC needed to be fired for losing control of the program, why wasn't it done in September? It's ridiculous to have waited this long. I hope the women's soccer team enjoys their new venue. We may lose the football program altogether. I can't image any suitable coach wanting to take a chance on coming here given the circus that has transpired..

How often do you see a College football coach get fired in September? Actually a serious question.

How often do you see a College football coach get fired in September? Actually a serious question.

Okay, how about November 28, after our last regular season game? Coyle had all the facts about the incident. Instead, he said Claeys had his "full support." Then came the boycott, tweet and outside pressure under which Coyle caved.

September is a bit unusual, but coaches get fired in the middle of the season all of the time (especially for off the field incidents).

It is a weird decision. They are alienating their base to appeal to a crowd that has no interest in buying football tickets. There will be crickets at home games unless they hire a proven winner.

THIS...so much THIS. What a bunch of fvcking morons.

Team is a week removed from playing the game of the season and solidifying a 9-4 record (oh, and one of only 3 B1G wins in Bowl season). Record high APR and team GPA. VERY few off field issues. Yes, one very embarrassing issue, but it was one of few in over 6 years. God, this sucks beyond all belief.

Between this and the suspensions, expulsions, transfers, and sure to be ****ty recruiting class, you can freaking chalk next year up as a 2-4 win season. Awesome.

No. I thought Clayes was a good man and a good coach.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Just like I've been in favor of the previous two firings, it comes with the always fun provision that it would be nice to hire somebody good to replace him. We made a terrible choice when Mason finally got fired, and we got luckier than hell when we fired Brewster. Let's see what Coyle has up his sleeve.

No, just no. Coyle should not be given that opportunity since he f'd this one up so badly. There isnt a chance he finds a coach worth a crap to take over. Fleck would be in over his head here. Worst decision ever by these numbnuts.

I'm not in favor of firing TC, but at the same time, I'm not going to be like some of the Mason-lovers that have proceeded to hate the program since that decision. I will still cheer for this program.

I'm not in favor of firing TC, but at the same time, I'm not going to be like some of the Mason-lovers that have proceeded to hate the program since that decision. I will still cheer for this program.

I think this one is a little different.

The Mason decision (agree or disagree) was a football decision. This decision feels like caving into a bunch of loons. I think there is more support for Claeys around here because of WHY he was fired.

I think this one is a little different.

The Mason decision (agree or disagree) was a football decision. This decision feels like caving into a bunch of loons. I think there is more support for Claeys around here because of WHY he was fired.

I suspect this goes beyond the Sept 2 incident. The trail leads to the decision to hire Norwood. They wanted him out before he was even in place. There is a group that alluded to as much, and had members on the committee to hire Coyle (Deborah Carlson). She was openly disgusted by his hiring.

Can't remember when, but was quoted in Strib around time of anonymous Gender equity complaint....

I suspect this goes beyond the Sept 2 incident. The trail leads to the decision to hire Norwood. They wanted him out before he was even in place. There is a group that alluded to as much, and had members on the committee to hire Coyle (Deborah Carlson). She was openly disgusted by his hiring.

Can't remember when, but was quoted in Strib around time of anonymous Gender equity complaint....

Yeah, I think it does too.

I just meant that the Mason firing, we got it, it was football related. A lot of people would have been annoyed if Claeys went 7-5 this season and was fired, but they wouldn't have been nearly as outraged as this fiasco.

Yes, but not because of a tweet. I did not think he was going to get our program to the next level where we consistently could beat the best of the Big. I also thought our team lacked discipline on / off the field. As usual, administration did this in the worst possible way. If you cared at all about the future success of this program you would have been sure you had a quality proven coach ready to hire. I hope they surprise us but have zero confidence in Coyle and Kaler.

Horrible decision. Kaler and Coyle need to be fired next.

I was hoping he would survive and I am surprised he didn't. I agree with just about everything Mason said on Barreiro's show. It was a clusterf*ck top-to-bottom and as messy as the whole situation was, it was my hope it could have cleared the collective athletic palette and that everyone could have used it as a point of departure for better communication and delineation of responsibilities.

Hell no!
The President and the AD could have calmed and prevented the boycott, the way they released the suspensions, and now waiting until after January first. AD Coyle and President Kaler just proved they used the football team and the staff for the Bowl payout and the free vacation nothing more nothing less.

Any underclassmen player with options and talent is going to leave this University. Have fun being the last place team perpetually Purdue, replacement and dog pile for years to come. This program will remain a loser for a long long time.
No wonder we are in the Wilderness and the perennial bottom feeder of the Big 10 conference. Nothing good ever comes from firing a group of successful people, who had a good impact on improving the level of play on the field, and the classroom. Instead of Big 10 Champs you might as well chant Big 10 LAST place team for another decade to come. This will be a watershed moment for the U and the football program. They thought they had an empty stadium this season, there will be more Nebraska and Wisconsin fans in the stadium this year that much is assured.

Well said. U of m needs new president and ad

Should have hired najarian

Absolutely not. It was a disgusting and cruel move, personally for Claeys, making him the scapegoat - and a disaster for the program. After six years we had a top defensive team winning 8 and this year 9 games. These idiots at the U have made one mistake after another in recent years and this is a re-do of Maturi firing Mason AFTER the bowls. Even if they could get a name coach, it will take years to recover from this. But I am especially upset at the cruelty to Claeys personally, who was in an impossible situation. He is good coach and a fine man.

It's a chicken **** move by Coyle.

I have no faith in him as a decision maker to be able to hire even a competent replacement.

I voted yes but not entirely because of the current mess. I wasn't that impressed despite the high win total. How many RUTM's can you do? I think recruiting was headed in a downward spiral and so was attendance. I am very sad if Jay Sawvel is gone. I thought he did a wonderful job. You have to beat rivals not just bad teams. Even Jim Wacker beat a top 10 WI team.

I wonder if this poll will be referenced as often and with such credibility as the petition on the progressive site

Top Bottom