Do you agree with the decision to fire Coach Claeys?

• Yes, it was the right decision

Votes: 74 28.9%
  • No, it was not the right decision

Votes: 182 71.1%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

It is beyond stupid unless there is other news that will come out.

No. The U fired a man of integrity. It makes it look like there was better due process at the Salem Witch trials.

It is a weird decision. They are alienating their base to appeal to a crowd that has no interest in buying football tickets. There will be crickets at home games unless they hire a proven winner.

Yes, don't understand the outrage at all to be quite honest.

Yes. He showed that he doesn't have control of the program and the U can hire a better proven coach.

It is beyond stupid unless there is other news that will come out.

Yep. Unless there's a bombshell yet to drop regarding regarding Claeys, this decision was indefensible in my opinion. Just absolutely pathetic.

Get your Brew T shirts out from the rag pile and paint a 2 on it. That will be the next era.

Yes, there was no other option after last month.

Yes, don't understand the outrage at all to be quite honest.

Because the coach was fired because a bunch of bureaucrats were afraid of a bunch of regressive lunatics going crazy for attention. I think it should smell of injustice to everyone involved (regardless of your stance on what should happen to the players).

Right now for me this is a no. Maybe something will come out that we didn't know that pushed them over the edge. All I know is that if this was a business decision (as it should be) then they better have a pretty freaking awesome coach lined up that can step in, keep the program intact, complete this recruiting class, and win us 9 games next year. Un-freaking believable.

I said before they hired Jerry Kill that the U needed to spend the $$ to hire a "name" coach to bring us back to respectability. They didn't do it then (although Kill, Claeys and staff worked towards it better than expected) and they won't do it now. Back to below mediocrity because they will hire an unknown, unproven coach on the cheap and we will start off next year just like when we had to rebuild after the Brewster cluster!!

We will have to see on who they hire. To me the only way you can sell this is to have a really good replacement locked and loaded. Claeys messed up tweeting like he did, and the PR disaster of the last months was on his watch. I can understand the reasoning to fire him, but not if they flounder on the replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyle is on the clock he needs to offer a solution and hire the new coach within the week.

I think there is a lot of hypocrisy coming from Kaler/Coyle, but the head coach said "He's never been more proud of his players" who were blindly protesting in favor of their teammates who were investigated for sexual assault.

You can say things like, "But they obviously wouldn't support assault!" as much as you want. That's stupid. 10 guys waited in a line and not one of them said something. 100+ players/coaches stood behind them.

That's stupid.

The one thing I can't get over is the presence of the recruit during this fiasco.

Not dismissing the player(s) involved in the events surrounding the recruit should be grounds for dismissing the coach.

You can say things like, "But they obviously wouldn't support assault!" as much as you want. That's stupid. 10 guys waited in a line and not one of them said something. 100+ players/coaches stood behind them.

That's stupid.

What you described, if consensual, isn't sexual assault.

Hell no! Only man who stuck up for his players that were not involved!

I think there is a lot of hypocrisy coming from Kaler/Coyle, but the head coach said "He's never been more proud of his players" who were blindly protesting in favor of their teammates who were investigated for sexual assault.

That's stupid.

Nailed it.

We are back to square 1. Players are going to leave in droves. All of Jerry Kill's work is undone.

Top Bottom