Cover Songs

That would align with how perceived Bob's mood to be that night, just awkward, until our discussion on RT.

I had never really experienced Thai food until that night. Turned out I really liked it, especially pad thai and spring rolls.

I know I went to the bar a few times, hopefully I tipped her well. Can't remember what was comped. Back in the day on a limited budget, sometimes I would go to those things just to get some free apps and drinks. Good times.
I miss those days. I bartended at Nikkis Cafe right by The Monte Carlo. I swear we made more doing that than when we started careers. That was the best Sawatdee location by far.

I miss those days. I bartended at Nikkis Cafe right by The Monte Carlo. I swear we made more doing that than when we started careers. That was the best Sawatdee location by far.
That was a cool Sawatdee, went there often before shows at the Fine Line. Please tell your wife the guy that ordered a Bud Light and a New Castle wishes he had left a few bucks more.

Regarding Mould, I have had a few interactions with him since that have seemed much less awkward after shows, at his book signing and even at a Twins game (just said hello and told him I was going to his concert). The Sugar party felt like a dog and pony show, plus I think he's just more appreciative of support he's gotten in this town even though he hasn't lived here for 30 years now.

Because this is a Covers thread here was the Bob Mould Band (with help from the Suicide Commandos & his tour mgr) tribute to Prince the weekend he passed away, When You Were Mine

Last edited:

That was a cool Sawatdee, went there often before shows at the Fine Line. Please tell your wife the guy that ordered a Bud Light and a New Castle wishes he had left a few bucks more.

Regarding Mould, I have had a few interactions with him since that have seemed much less awkward after shows, at his book signing and even at a Twins game (just said hello and told him I was going to his concert). The Sugar party felt like a dog and pony show, plus I think he's just more appreciative of support he's gotten in this town even though he hasn't lived here for 30 years now.

Because this is a Covers thread here was the Bob Mould Band (with help from the Suicide Commandos & his tour mgr) tribute to Prince the weekend he passed away, When You Were Mine

I was at that show! Great as always. I agree, he has seemed happy the last few shows. Super talkative. He almost talked too much at the Turf Club a few years ago. I wanted more songs lol.
Told my wife...she said she waited on him in the back and it was awkward to say the least.

McCartney covering Harrison, with a lotta help from their friends, All Things Must Pass

I had the pleasure of seeing this song's author, Paul Westerberg, play it live at Hollywood's El Rey theater with his solo band on the Eventually Tour in the fall of 1996. Flash forward 6 months later at the same venue, I got to see Wilco cover it.

Here's Wilco performing the Replacements classic several years later with a very special guest from Mpls, though I don't think he's playing his typical bass. Color Me Impressed.

I am.

Last edited:

I have brought up Failure in one of the other threads.....but they did a great cover of Depeche Mode's 'Enjoy The Silence'.

And for those who like Tool or A Perfect Circle....Maynard James Keenan has noted his fandom of Failure. On the excellent album, Thirteenth Step, APC covered 'The Nurse Who Loved Me'.....originally off the criminally underrated 'Fantastic Planet'.

Just your average day in Dayton Ohio. Guided by Voices wandering down the alley to find The Breeders covering one of their ridiculously hooky 90 second blasts. Kim Deal has never looked cuter.

Soul Asylum during the Tommy era covering the Fugees, Gone till November

Ode to Michael Nesmith, RIP.

The Lemonheads with Different Drum.

Wilco & Sharon van Etten covering John & Yoko, Happy Xmas (War is Over).

If we have an original song thread, we should have a covers song thread, I suppose. Came across this on Twitter today, I didn't realize that these two had collaborated on three cover CD's, covering a lot of the rock/pop standards from the '60s & 70s:
More Hoffs & Sweet covering NY. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

Since the ad campaign for the movie Belfast hit and seeing in the theater, this song has been bouncing around my head. It's one of the few tracks in the film that is not a Van Morrison tune.

Researching wiki, it was originally recorded by Robert Knight (not the General) and then made a bigger hit by Love Affair. Here they are getting their groove on, Everlasting Love

Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit with special guest Mike Mills covering REM, Driver 8

Hot off the YouTube Ed Vedder & the Earthlings covering Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Room at the Top

I did not realize this was a cover until several years after I heard it. Here's the 'Mats playing The Only Ones Another Girl, Another Planet.

I did not realize this was a cover until several years after I heard it. Here's the 'Mats playing The Only Ones Another Girl, Another Planet.

I picked up an Only Ones compilation a few years back. Good stuff. Also, it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that Another Girl Another Planet is about heroin addiction. That makes it all the weirder that is was used in a commercial for a phone company...

I had heard of the Detroit Cobras but had never listened so I had no idea they were strictly a cover band. With the recent passing of their singer Rachel Nagy several people I respect said I had to check them out.

And wow wow wow what a voice she had! Incredibly sexy and soulful. Wish I had seen them some time, particularly in the early days when they played with The White Stripes. RIP Rachel.

I picked up an Only Ones compilation a few years back. Good stuff. Also, it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that Another Girl Another Planet is about heroin addiction. That makes it all the weirder that is was used in a commercial for a phone company...
I had no idea...

I had heard of the Detroit Cobras but had never listened so I had no idea they were strictly a cover band. With the recent passing of their singer Rachel Nagy several people I respect said I had to check them out.

And wow wow wow what a voice she had! Incredibly sexy and soulful. Wish I had seen them some time, particularly in the early days when they played with The White Stripes. RIP Rachel.

I saw them back in the 90's. I think it was at the 400 but not sure. So cool.

I love the original by Kate Bush, but I also really like this cover. I had never heard of Meg Myers before, but after hearing this I explored her original stuff, and it’s really up my wheelhouse.

I love the original by Kate Bush, but I also really like this cover. I had never heard of Meg Myers before, but after hearing this I explored her original stuff, and it’s really up my wheelhouse.
Meg is intense. Or at least can be.

I had no idea...
Right off the bat you have the lines the lines about "I always flirt with death" and "I look ill" about the threat of overdosing and the sickly look the junkies have.

Then you have the lines about "get under my skin" about injection and "space travels in my blood" about being on the rush. Finally have the lines about exhaustion and withdrawal in "long journeys wear me out" and"I know I can't live without it.".
Then if you just see the photos of them and the fact that member Peter Perret started running with Johnny thunders, so guilt by association...😬

Right off the bat you have the lines the lines about "I always flirt with death" and "I look ill" about the threat of overdosing and the sickly look the junkies have.

Then you have the lines about "get under my skin" about injection and "space travels in my blood" about being on the rush. Finally have the lines about exhaustion and withdrawal in "long journeys wear me out" and"I know I can't live without it.".
Then if you just see the photos of them and the fact that member Peter Perret started running with Johnny thunders, so guilt by association...😬
Johnny's gonna die...

Didn't get this one at the recent Fine Line gig, but I have seen it before with great approval. Here is Son Volt playing the Rolling Stones classic, Happy.

Love this movie. Love this scene.

Original

Cage the Elephant

Billie Joe Armstrong

Ewan McGregor had an Expedia Super Bowl commercial which I have seen afterwards a shorter version a few dozen times. Each viewing it was driving me crazy trying to place where I had heard the tune being played at the end. Finally linked it, the original Wreckless Eric version of Whole Wide World.

Top Bottom