Confernce Realignment Chaos is Here!!!!!! (maybe ... probabbly not) (Rumor Texas and OK reach out to SEC about joining)

A&M recruits Texas players with the pitch that they are the only Texas team in the SEC. Not if Texas joins.
Irrelevant to the point at hand about A&M having taken a step back in the SEC -- but I agree that Texas joining (nor Oklahoma) wouldn't be good for their regional recruiting.

Meh. They are an out of place Midwestern University now. They can still play USC, Stanford etc. in non-conference.
I’m going to go with their actions rather than your thoughts

Yup. The 12 team playoff will now be 6 SEC teams and 6 other teams.
This is getting more stupid every year.

I think it was Mike Leach that said we need 64 teams. Dude has a sense of humor.

Yup. The 12 team playoff will now be 6 SEC teams and 6 other teams.

I still love Gopher football and will support it till I die. But as the SEC keeps pushing to corner the market on big time college football, I find myself caring less and less about college football overall.

It sounds unthinkable now, but I can foresee college football becoming more of a regional sport over the next 20 years, ala NASCAR, as fans outside of the SEC footprint start to tune out.

As others have said, I don't think this is good for the sport overall.

In keeping the B1G AAU purity: Add Mizzou, A&M and Colorado. Send Nebraska off to the SEC.

I still love Gopher football and will support it till I die. But as the SEC keeps pushing to corner the market on big time college football, I find myself caring less and less about college football overall.

It sounds unthinkable now, but I can foresee college football becoming more of a regional sport over the next 20 years, ala NASCAR, as fans outside of the SEC footprint start to tune out.

As others have said, I don't think this is good for the sport overall.
I mean if the SEC snatched up Ohio state, Clemson, Florida state, and USC those 20 could all play each other and the big ten would be a healthier league that I would continue to follow.

This only makes sense to me under some combination of these factors:
- A&M and Mizzou both decide they can’t afford to buyout of the SEC GoR and/or that it’s in their best interests to stay
- Big Ten presidents have decided going to 16 to match is what’s best for the conf
- favors being called in by Iowa/Kansas politicians

I hope we add Kansas. Overall these moves have me worried about the future of college sports. I only hope for the best, and I am glad we are not in the position Kansas State and Iowa State seem to be in.
Correct

One saving grace of all this is that if the SEC takes off into another stratosphere maybe the emphasis of conference titles will re take root at all other levels

Adding Kansas and anyone else while the SEC is adding Texas and OU is a huge loss for the BIG. I guess in the end, it really does mean more - SEC SEC SEC.

Adding Kansas and anyone else while the SEC is adding Texas and OU is a huge loss for the BIG. I guess in the end, it really does mean more - SEC SEC SEC.
I agree with this. Your taking a knife to a gun fight if Kansas and Iowa State are the additions. We need to think bigger and perhaps westward?? (Assuming we can’t grab Notre Dame, North Carolina or Virginia.) If the eventual goal is 20 teams you could take Oregon, Washington, USC, UCLA, Cal and Stanford.

Last edited:

.When you live down here in Texas you understand very quickly who is in charge, and it ain't Texas ATM. The Aggies move to the SEC was a big FU to Texas and they rightfully so at the time. For the SEC to have kept ATM out of the loop these last six months tells you everything you need to know about the UT/ATM relationship. These two schools detest each other and once again the Aggies are going to be the red headed step child of the Longhorns.
I’m sure you’re correct here.

What I said only was in regards to the specific comment I was replying to.

Adding Kansas and anyone else while the SEC is adding Texas and OU is a huge loss for the BIG.
This only applies if the Big Ten is trying to stay step for step with the SEC.

I think it’s just fine to secede then the viewership title and settle into 2nd place, maintaining or identity of elite academics and research institutions at the highest level of college athletics.

This only makes sense to me under some combination of these factors:
- A&M and Mizzou both decide they can’t afford to buyout of the SEC GoR and/or that it’s in their best interests to stay
- Big Ten presidents have decided going to 16 to match is what’s best for the conf
- favors being called in by Iowa/Kansas politicians
Chuck Grassley having served in the Senate for 87 years probably pays off at times like these. Iowa State adds nothing. No media markets. No marquee team. Makes zero sense.

Even if the B1G can't pull anyone from the SEC/ACC/Pac 12, Oklahoma State or Baylor would make more sense among the Big 12 leftovers.

I agree with this. Your taking a knife to a gun fight if Kansas and Iowa State are the additions. We need to think bigger and perhaps westward?? (Assuming we can’t grab Notre Dame, North Carolina or Virginia.) If the eventual goal is 20 teams you could take Oregon, Washington, USC, UCLA, Cal and Stanford.
Kansas could maybe be 1 of 2 if the other was Notre Dame, Colorado, Missouri, North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia tech, or florida state

If they can’t get 2 on that list I don’t think they expand (exception being plucking Oklahoma or Texas)

Irrelevant to the point at hand about A&M having taken a step back in the SEC -- but I agree that Texas joining (nor Oklahoma) wouldn't be good for their regional recruiting.
A&M has been recruiting really well I thought.

This only applies if the Big Ten is trying to stay step for step with the SEC.

I think it’s just fine to secede then the viewership title and settle into 2nd place, maintaining or identity of elite academics and research institutions at the highest level of college athletics.
Sorry, not a fan of this mentality. The SEC just made the BIG look like a total second rate conference. I have to believe that if Jim Delaney were still commissioner this would have gone down differently and possibly in favor of the BIG.

I don't think there is a glaring difference in scholastic ratings between the two conferences other than Northwestern, Michigan and Vandy. All the other schools are kind of whatever.

The 12 team playoff has not yet been officially approved. There is still time for the colleges to decide to vote down the change in September.

With the news the SEC has been in secret talks for six months with Texas and Oklahoma, it is a natural assumption they were giving information to the playoff recommendation committee without revealing their true intentions.

With the impending chaos, I hope The College Football Playoffs board of managers will table the move to a 12 team playoff and take time to reevaluate.

Last edited:

The thought that Ohio State and Michigan could ever leave the Big 10 to join the SEC is something that would have made me laugh my ass off in the past. But from the looks of where college athletics may be heading, hell, I’m not so sure they won’t leave. And I have very little confidence in Warren to hold this together.

So instead of a 12 team playoff what you will have will be.

#1 - a 24 team super conference - the equivalent of Class AAAA of Division 1 - where the 20 teams will decide who is national championship. They will create their own NIL rules and pay for players. SEC is just getting ahead of what will eventually happen anyways where the have and have nots are separated. USC, Oregon, Penn State and UCLA will join the SEC.

#2 - 50 teams - leftovers of P5 (ACC, B1G, B12 and PAC12) will fight is a Division 1 Class AAA and so on and so forth down the line.

By turning the sport semi-pro the NFL will be the only true national football league and College Football will lose out as it becomes a regional sport with minimal interest. Essentially ESPN is killing college football.

Last edited:

The thought that Ohio State and Michigan could ever leave the Big 10 to join the SEC is something that would have made me laugh my ass off in the past. But from the looks of where college athletics may be heading, hell, I’m not so sure they won’t leave. And I have very little confidence in Warren to hold this together.
Southeastern (Michigan) Conference.

But yeah. I read that initially and thought it was a joke. The more I think of it, the more it seems possible (though I still think unlikely). Just form the ESPN conference already and crown a champion each year exclusively from that group of super-programs.

There has to be a point of diminishing returns here. Sure, these schools have a ton of fans. But if you concentrate them all into one elite conference to the point that everyone who isn’t a fan of those schools just tunes out, do you still have enough interest to maintain the mega-dollar deals? The playoff already started that trend—if you’re not a fan of Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, or a small handful of others, the increasing feeling of irrelevance climbs each year. College football would be a purely southern sport perhaps aside from Ohio State, Michigan, and maybe Notre Dame. Hell, it’s already primarily just a southern and Midwestern sport now.

Top Bottom