Confernce Realignment Chaos is Here!!!!!! (maybe ... probabbly not) (Rumor Texas and OK reach out to SEC about joining)

I feel like, for football, a 16-team conference is going to set up in four four-team pods, based mainly on geography, with protected rivalries. If Kansas and Missouri joined:

Pod 1: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern
Pod 2: Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois
Pod 3: Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue
Pod 4: Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland

Then you protect crossovers like Iowa-Nebraska, Northwestern-Illinois, Ohio State-Michigan. If this were all about money, I'd think they might even look into doing a mini playoff of sorts, where the top teams from each pod square off in the final week of the regular season to determine who plays in the B1G championship game.
Having crossovers outside the pods messes with the scheduling though. If you have all the needed yearly games inside of the pod, you can play each other team in the conference home and away in 4 years with 9 total conference games. You could switch Nebraska and Northwestern and switch OSU and Indiana and get those crossovers nicely.

This does come at the expense of some geographical closeness of the pods, and like you said Nebraska wouldn't like being in the tougher pod, but it does make the scheduling much cleaner.

Having crossovers outside the pods messes with the scheduling though. If you have all the needed yearly games inside of the pod, you can play each other team in the conference home and away in 4 years with 9 total conference games. You could switch Nebraska and Northwestern and switch OSU and Indiana and get those crossovers nicely.

This does come at the expense of some geographical closeness of the pods, and like you said Nebraska wouldn't like being in the tougher pod, but it does make the scheduling much cleaner.
Yeah small pods + "except for ..." is just a huge mess.

I’m not sure expanding makes the conference more money. But if the expansion is west to
Kansas + one of Colorado/Missouri/Iowa state

Nebraska doesn’t need a fake rivalry with Iowa anymore.

here are games that would HAVE to happen in any realignment scenario:
Purdue/Indiana
Ohio state/Michigan
Michigan/Michigan state
Minnesota/wisconsin
Minnesota/Iowa
Illinois/northwestern

That’s it. Anything else could be sent to a rotation. I think these are the only games the conference would schedule specifically around. So all teams in these games would have to be in Pods or divisions together (or be the IU/Purdue exception…but can’t really have more than one exception or it gets messy)

I'm just glad that someone at the U made a good decision ... way back before the Spanish American War ... to help found the Big 10 ... clearly they were people of vision.

I’m not sure expanding makes the conference more money. But if the expansion is west to
Kansas + one of Colorado/Missouri/Iowa state

Nebraska doesn’t need a fake rivalry with Iowa anymore.

here are games that would HAVE to happen in any realignment scenario:
Purdue/Indiana
Ohio state/Michigan
Michigan/Michigan state
Minnesota/wisconsin
Minnesota/Iowa
Illinois/northwestern

That’s it. Anything else could be sent to a rotation. I think these are the only games the conference would schedule specifically around. So all teams in these games would have to be in Pods or divisions together (or be the IU/Purdue exception…but can’t really have more than one exception or it gets messy)
A&M plus one more school would greatly enrich the conference.

One thing I completely overlooked, and not sure why:

SEC also has a long term grant of rights deal in place, into the 2030’s.

These things certainly have buyouts … but with both leagues TV deals (and conf networks!) owned by ESPN, it won’t be easy or cheap.

Could be talking nine figures!

With the obscene wealth that A&M and booster have, I might be able to see them saying “F you!” and doing it anyway. But I doubt Mizzou can afford that.

Just don’t with ND. Say never.

I’d take Missouri with Kansas. Great rivalry. Mizzou can also build that with Illinois. Both AAU schools.

They (MU) openly pleaded with the Big Ten, and that was their first choice.
Taking both doesn't make sense. Either one brings the Kansas City market. Mizzou brings St. Louis as well and has a built in rivalry with Illinois and Nebraska. Rather have Mizzou.

Taking both doesn't make sense. Either one brings the Kansas City market. Mizzou brings St. Louis as well. Rather have Mizzou.
See above.

And might be exactly why they’re talking to KU now, to partner with A&M.

Notre Dame played football in the ACC last season. They were already in the ACC for basketball. If they are joining a conference full time, it will be the ACC, not the B1G.

Do IU and Purdue even want Notre Dame in the B1G?

One thing I completely overlooked, and not sure why:

SEC also has a long term grant of rights deal in place, into the 2030’s.

These things certainly have buyouts … but with both leagues TV deals (and conf networks!) owned by ESPN, it won’t be easy or cheap.

Could be talking nine figures!

With the obscene wealth that A&M and booster have, I might be able to see them saying “F you!” and doing it anyway. But I doubt Mizzou can afford that.
Yeah, I 100% would not be surprised if A&M wanted out of the SEC is Texas joined, and would help raise funds from alumni to help with any buyout.

Do IU and Purdue even want Notre Dame in the B1G?
Notre dame doesn’t want Notre dame in the big ten so your question is irrelevant

Notre dame would rather be pac 12 or ACC to maintain their national brand

if they join big ten they are now a Midwestern university

Well, you are dead wrong about that. When you live down here in Texas you understand very quickly who is in charge, and it ain't Texas ATM. The Aggies move to the SEC was a big FU to Texas and they rightfully so at the time. For the SEC to have kept ATM out of the loop these last six months tells you everything you need to know about the UT/ATM relationship. These two schools detest each other and once again the Aggies are going to be the red headed step child of the Longhorns.

I hear you on that.....but doesn't the Big Ten still have the most lucrative media deal of all the conferences? If A&M were to jump ship to the B10......I feel like they'd still be sticking it to the Horns. Not to mention.....the original abandonment of the B12 basically sealed the fate of the conference. A big reason was the Longhorn Network and their unwillingness to share profits.....no? Texas's move to the SEC would still kill that network......as they would undoubtedly be forced to part ways and join fully.

Say what you will.....but I still think that A&M's goal was to not only distance themselves from the Horns....but to also damage them in process. I'd say goal accomplished.

I hear you on that.....but doesn't the Big Ten still have the most lucrative media deal of all the conferences? If A&M were to jump ship to the B10......I feel like they'd still be sticking it to the Horns. Not to mention.....the original abandonment of the B12 basically sealed the fate of the conference. A big reason was the Longhorn Network and their unwillingness to share profits.....no? Texas's move to the SEC would still kill that network......as they would undoubtedly be forced to part ways and join fully.

Say what you will.....but I still think that A&M's goal was to not only distance themselves from the Horns....but to also damage them in process. I'd say goal accomplished.
With the new conf network run by ESPN, I think the SEC had already surpassed the Big Ten or were set to do so soon.

Adding UT/OU to that would blow it out of the water. I think I saw rumors of $7x Million per year per school. Big Ten is like in the 5x range.

Adding Kansas alone won’t bump that up, either. They probably (maybe) can just keep it as is per school for 15 instead of 14. But adding A&M, would be interesting to see what they’d pay for that.

I still don’t think our content would come close to touching the overall viewership that the current SEC alone commands, let alone with UT/OU.

I’m fine accepting second place there.

Clemson manages to have a great football team just fine, despite the “paltry” payouts of the ACC.

Cal sitting back right now watching everything unfold and seeing the rumors of the Pac 12 possibly adding both Texas Christian University and Baylor.
Final

Mizzou sure, but A&M is recruiting lights out. Classes ranked 17, 4, 6, 8 in Jimbo's first four years coupled with last years season don't seem like they've taken a step backward.
A&M recruits Texas players with the pitch that they are the only Texas team in the SEC. Not if Texas joins.

The B1G should do what it takes to get T-A&M. Kansas would be good add, but I would rather have Missouri. Too bad Oklahoma State isn’t an AAU school because they would be a neighbor school for A&M.

Put A&M and Kansas in a division with Nebraska and Illinois. Then MN, IA, WI and Northwestern together. Purdue moves east.

The SEC pushed for the 12 team playoff and now we know why. I doubt Texas and Oklahoma make the move without it.

Notre dame doesn’t want Notre dame in the big ten so your question is irrelevant

Notre dame would rather be pac 12 or ACC to maintain their national brand

if they join big ten they are now a Midwestern university
Meh. They are an out of place Midwestern University now. They can still play USC, Stanford etc. in non-conference.

Top Bottom