Confernce Realignment Chaos is Here!!!!!! (maybe ... probabbly not) (Rumor Texas and OK reach out to SEC about joining)

I don't see UVA happening. And they would be under tremendous pressure to force the B1G to let them bring VT with them if they did. Perhaps a 4 team expansion: UVa, VT, ND and Mizzou.
As as been said, all ACC full-members are untouchable until closer to the mid 2030's. That's precisely what they wanted it to be, and they all agreed to the strict GoR deal and signed on the dotted line.

Big Ten needs to lay the best offer it can possibly muster to Texas A&M. Today.
While I'd love to have them, do you think they'd worry about recruits bolting for Texas or OU? Their recruits signed up to play SEC football - maybe that means something to a lot of them?

Their recruits signed up to play SEC football - maybe that means something to a lot of them?
I think a move from the SEC to the Big Ten would be 100% done for high-level, institutional philosophical reasons.

"We want to have a unique identity within Texas" or whatever the line was similar to that.

You may have a fair point, but just for the immediate few classes. Maybe some guys will go in the transfer portal, because they thought they'd get to play LSU, Arkansas?

Moving forward, the guys who want to be at A&M will know what they're signing up for.

Maybe Texas would tell recruits, "look at pathetic A&M, as soon as we joined the SEC they went running to an easier conference"?

I wonder if ESPN knew something earlier...during the summer they ran a few stories on the breaking up of the SWC and all the politics and talk in Texas. Coincidence?

I don't know that I think the B1G HAS to make a move all of a sudden like.

I do think that adding Kansas would be interesting ... KC market and etc.

No, the Big Ten doesn't have to do anything. It can sit idly by.

It's simply if they see an opportunity to add huge new markets, good research school, etc.

Adding Kansas alone would be odd. Already have a strong foothold in KC with Neb. They don't have much rivalry with Nebraska either, since Neb always kicked their butts in football and KU always kicked their butts in baskeball.

Adding KU + MU would be great.

I don't think Missouri would leave the SEC, if A&M doesn't. But ... maybe.

If just Missouri left (joining KU to the Big Ten), then it would open up one more spot in the SEC for Oklahoma State or Texas Tech to be added -- whichever will ease the most pain and ire.

I highly doubt A&M cares what Texas thinks.
Well, you are dead wrong about that. When you live down here in Texas you understand very quickly who is in charge, and it ain't Texas ATM. The Aggies move to the SEC was a big FU to Texas and they rightfully so at the time. For the SEC to have kept ATM out of the loop these last six months tells you everything you need to know about the UT/ATM relationship. These two schools detest each other and once again the Aggies are going to be the red headed step child of the Longhorns.

Horrible way to treat your members. Don't leave any member in the dark about your plans. That's how you create permanent animosity.

A&M will strongly consider leaving.

Maybe it's time to stop watching collegiate sports.
Fishing, camping, and traveling with my grandkids have been fun. I ditched Comcast, and I am giving Sling TV a shot for one year.

After losing my wife to cancer and almost dying of Covid, some things aren't as important.

Horrible way to treat your members. Don't leave any member in the dark about your plans. That's how you create permanent animosity.

A&M will strongly consider leaving.
I don't believe they didn't know.

That would be a bonkers decision legally and conference cohesion wise....

Top flight basketball is good for the conference. They need a football addition. ND or A&M.
Just don’t with ND. Say never.

I’d take Missouri with Kansas. Great rivalry. Mizzou can also build that with Illinois. Both AAU schools.

They (MU) openly pleaded with the Big Ten, and that was their first choice.

I don't know that I think the B1G HAS to make a move all of a sudden like.

I do think that adding Kansas would be interesting ... KC market and etc.
100%
The big ten should only expand if it can find targets that would increase the total pie enough to raise the size of a slice.

right now there are 15 slices (1 per team and 1 for conference) at around 50 million per.
To raise the value of a slice of pie to 51 million the next piece would have to add 65+ million in value.
Here is a list of teams who for sure do that not already in Big Ten or SEC:
Notre Dame
Texas
Clemson
Florida State
USC

here is a list of teams that maybe do that:
Georgia tech
UCLA
Stanford
Oklahoma
Kansas
Virginia
North Carolina
Syracuse
Boston college
Oklahoma state
You could add more. But unless you can add a team from the top list you don’t automatically want to expand.
if you add two teams the second team has to add more value than the first team for them both to make you money.

I would not be opposed...
Would be good for gopher football. Would be good for big ten basketball. Move Purdue east.

if the divisions are going to be scrapped the whole big ten west should vote against expansion of any kind

If KU comes we should try to get Mizzou somehow.
I know KU's academics are good enough.

What about Mizzou? ... I don't know them well.

(not that it matters, i think the academic stuff if push came to shove would NOT be a real factor)

I know KU's academics are good enough.

What about Mizzou? ... I don't know them well.

(not that it matters, i think the academic stuff if push came to shove would NOT be a real factor)
Mizzou is AAU, and their endowment is slightly larger than Rutgers and Maryland and on par with Nebraska (though considerably smaller than the rest of the conference). On the surface that would seem to be enough to pass the test to get in to the conference.

Adding Kansas & expand Notre Dame to a full member (B1G Hockey) brings the most money to the table since that is what this is all about.

Adding Kansas & expand Notre Dame to a full member (B1G Hockey) brings the most money to the table since that is what this is all about.
ND has to want in tho... I don't think they do.

B1G shoudln't accept them with any kind of ACC type deal IMO.

Mizzou is AAU, and their endowment is slightly larger than Rutgers and Maryland and on par with Nebraska (though considerably smaller than the rest of the conference). On the surface that would seem to be enough to pass the test to get in to the conference.
Aside from the money potential, the Tigers are 5-1-3 against the Gophers historically. However, the Tigers have won the last four games against the Gophers.

They will make a good rival for the Gophers in the Big Ten West if they keep the Big Ten alignment the same.

I agree that Notre Dame is the big winner in terms of revenue potential.

With Missouri in traditional SEC Country, this may open up recruiting for the Gophers.

Last edited:

Aside from the money potential, the Tigers are 5-1-3 against the Gophers historically. They have won the last four games (1965-2015) against the Gophers. They will make a good rival for the Gophers in the Big Ten West if they keep the Big Ten alignment the same.

I agree that Notre Dame is the big winner in revenue streams.

I feel like, for football, a 16-team conference is going to set up in four four-team pods, based mainly on geography, with protected rivalries. If Kansas and Missouri joined:

Pod 1: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern
Pod 2: Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois
Pod 3: Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue
Pod 4: Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland

Then you protect crossovers like Iowa-Nebraska, Northwestern-Illinois, Ohio State-Michigan. If this were all about money, I'd think they might even look into doing a mini playoff of sorts, where the top teams from each pod square off in the final week of the regular season to determine who plays in the B1G championship game.

I feel like, for football, a 16-team conference is going to set up in four four-team pods, based mainly on geography, with protected rivalries. If Kansas and Missouri joined:

Pod 1: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern
Pod 2: Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois
Pod 3: Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue
Pod 4: Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland

Then you protect crossovers like Iowa-Nebraska, Northwestern-Illinois, Ohio State-Michigan. If this were all about money, I'd think they might even look into doing a mini playoff of sorts, where the top teams from each pod square off in the final week of the regular season to determine who plays in the B1G championship game.
Nebraska fans would love that ...

Nebraska fans would love that ...
Yeah, I imagine they'd be on track to maybe even get to six wins with those games.

You could play with the competitive balance a bit to even it out, maybe doing a pod with Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri and a pod with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Illinois, protecting the Iowa-Minnesota and Illinois-Missouri crossovers.

Kansas and Iowa state to the BIG since the big 12 is dead?

Top Bottom