• 50 - Seat is Hot

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • 40 - Seat is Red Hot

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • 30 or below - May need to win out to retain job

Votes: 11 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry, the jury is no longer out. Claeys is not a D1 head coach. I don't care what the record is for the rest of the season.

Sorry, the jury is no longer out. Claeys is not a D1 head coach. I don't care what the record is for the rest of the season.

Another "long time" posting troll returns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unbelieveable number of cry babies. We are 2-2 Big Ten and 5-2 overall. Difficult to justify firing somebody with a record like that. If Coyle tries to fire him with that record, then Coyle himself should immediately be fired. If we defeat Illinois next week, this will make us 3-2 Big Ten and 6-2 overall. What will be the rationale for firing Tracy next week? My conclusion is there are few Golden Gopher Football Fans on this board. What we have are a bunch of interlopers who represent sports betting interests. Some have suggested the football program is not worth having unless we go to major bowl games year in and year out. I don't believe that is in the Mission Statement of the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. If it is, then I missed it. I wonder aloud how many of the people who complain on this board are actually U of M Twin Cities graduates / alumni? Watching the game on ESPNU I saw a wonderful sea of maroon and gold, and the upper deck was nearly filled. Have not seen it filled that nicely in a long time. The fans in the stands seemed to be having a good time, contrary to the funereal atmosphere of Gopher Hole.

Holy crap

I love how some people try to compare the Gophers to the Vikings and Ohio State. Completely laughable. There's just nothing you can say at that point. I understand most are joking to take a jab at some Gopher opinions. But jeez. It's about as played out as all the complainers at this point.

How can this season be the tipping point for all these "lifelong fans". Things have been so much worse - so much worse - in the not so distant past. What a joke. Seriously - just go. Leave. Stop coming here too - why keep posting on this board if you have hit that point. Go.

You just aren't used to the new breed of Gopher fans. They have the right kind of no-nonsense expectations that will make this program a national power.

Unbelieveable number of cry babies. We are 2-2 Big Ten and 5-2 overall. Difficult to justify firing somebody with a record like that. If Coyle tries to fire him with that record, then Coyle himself should immediately be fired. If we defeat Illinois next week, this will make us 3-2 Big Ten and 6-2 overall. What will be the rationale for firing Tracy next week? My conclusion is there are few Golden Gopher Football Fans on this board. What we have are a bunch of interlopers who represent sports betting interests. Some have suggested the football program is not worth having unless we go to major bowl games year in and year out. I don't believe that is in the Mission Statement of the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. If it is, then I missed it. I wonder aloud how many of the people who complain on this board are actually U of M Twin Cities graduates / alumni? Watching the game on ESPNU I saw a wonderful sea of maroon and gold, and the upper deck was nearly filled. Have not seen it filled that nicely in a long time. The fans in the stands seemed to be having a good time, contrary to the funereal atmosphere of Gopher Hole.

You are right, I am not a true fan. I will give up my season tickets and take back my degree just to make you happy. I will even quit going to basketball and hockey games. You brought up the year in and year out major bowl games. I would like to go to just one but thats me. If it pleases the court I will just add one more thing. I will try to be much happier at the Purdue game and if we do happen to win I will run onto the field with my fists pumped into the air. I will even hug Goldy. If I get a restraining order that is your fault.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will give up my season tickets and take back my degree just to make you happy. I will even quit going to basketball and hockey games.!

I sincerely believe that is best for all.

Let's see what happens this week, and against NW, NE, and WI, and then we'll see how smart wise guys like yourself are. You bastions of Gopher football fandom.

As of today only 42% of respondents feel his seat is hot or worse. A solid majority feel it is warm to safe.

What this says to me is he is "week to week" and most people have not made up their minds. Hardly a mob out for blood.

As of today only 42% of respondents feel his seat is hot or worse. A solid majority feel it is warm to safe.

What this says to me is he is "week to week" and most people have not made up their minds. Hardly a mob out for blood.

It is so hard to get a feel what is really going on in a program in a few games.

Watching the game on ESPNU I saw a wonderful sea of maroon and gold, and the upper deck was nearly filled. Have not seen it filled that nicely in a long time.

My group had a great time but I think you may have been watching a different game.

EA95B9D6-AF67-46B9-84A9-A5E3C01200ED_zpskm3ks0ez.jpg

67428E1A-B32F-4934-9D28-75CEC766D2D9_zpstpr4yhxi.jpg

Unbelieveable number of cry babies. We are 2-2 Big Ten and 5-2 overall. Difficult to justify firing somebody with a record like that. If Coyle tries to fire him with that record, then Coyle himself should immediately be fired. .

well, that kinda of happened with tubby and woody

UofM 80, not affiliated with any betting sites or Russia

I have a feeling that the results of this poll would look different if it had been started at least 24 hours after the end of the game. Many posters (including me) take a little bit of time for reason to overcome emotion.

I have a feeling that the results of this poll would look different if it had been started at least 24 hours after the end of the game. Many posters (including me) take a little bit of time for reason to overcome emotion.

To be fair, the reason I put an end on the poll was because it was meant to see a slice in time after the game. I thought maybe it would be interesting to see the results after each week, or maybe every two weeks. This wasn't meant to be a projection of where we thought the U and Claeys would be at the end of the year, just where he stood right now. Interesting to see the diversity of choices. 5-2 looks pretty safe to me, although I was really unhappy with the effort on the field last weekend.

I voted safe and I was even peeved about the 4th down calls and not punting or kicking field goals. I have never thought about Coach Claeys not being a Division 1 head coach. That is different from coach Brewster, the moment I saw him lying on the ground, flat on his belly against Bowling Green in his first game against Bowling Green, in the Metrodome I knew he was a complete BOOB and a snake oil salesmen. The crawling around on you belly on the sideline in a big moment is not becoming of a head coach. I never developed any trust for Brewster even with all of his recruitign rankings hoopla.

Never once have I heard, Tracy Claeys say We're going to crawl men and on our backs will be an AXE, and on our backs will be an AXE, or Where my playmakers at, GIVE ME SOME, you gotta bring some to get some, Get your dad gum chilli hot. Brewster spent way to much time around a meathead coach like Mack Brown. Would I like to see a little more happiness and less arm crossing from the coach on the sideline yeah, but that doesn't mean he doesn't do those things in practice. At least he isn't getting quoted saying nonsensical crap all of the time. Brewster got the Gophers job before he was ready to be a head coach, maybe that is the case with Claeys too, hopefully we don't go through the debacle that Tim Brewster's program was all over again. At least I can hope that Jerry Kills mentorship with coach Claey's was a little better than Mack Brown. Brown was going around telling people he couldn't believe someone hired Brewster as a head coach and laughing about it. Never heard those story's being tossed around about Claeys. The only doubts I have about Claeys is time management and being aware of the time clock and clock situations, he seems like he needs to clean up his tempo on those quick situations like that.

I voted safe and I was even peeved about the 4th down calls and not punting or kicking field goals. I have never thought about Coach Claeys not being a Division 1 head coach. That is different from coach Brewster, the moment I saw him lying on the ground, flat on his belly against Bowling Green in his first game against Bowling Green, in the Metrodome I knew he was a complete BOOB and a snake oil salesmen. The crawling around on you belly on the sideline in a big moment is not becoming of a head coach. I never developed any trust for Brewster even with all of his recruitign rankings hoopla.

Never once have I heard, Tracy Claeys say We're going to crawl men and on our backs will be an AXE, and on our backs will be an AXE, or Where my playmakers at, GIVE ME SOME, you gotta bring some to get some, Get your dad gum chilli hot. Brewster spent way to much time around a meathead coach like Mack Brown. Would I like to see a little more happiness and less arm crossing from the coach on the sideline yeah, but that doesn't mean he doesn't do those things in practice. At least he isn't getting quoted saying nonsensical crap all of the time. Brewster got the Gophers job before he was ready to be a head coach, maybe that is the case with Claeys too, hopefully we don't go through the debacle that Tim Brewster's program was all over again. At least I can hope that Jerry Kills mentorship with coach Claey's was a little better than Mack Brown. Brown was going around telling people he couldn't believe someone hired Brewster as a head coach and laughing about it. Never heard those story's being tossed around about Claeys. The only doubts I have about Claeys is time management and being aware of the time clock and clock situations, he seems like he needs to clean up his tempo on those quick situations like that.

You wouldn't care about any of this if he had won more. You're projecting your frustration with the losses onto his habits and behaviors. When guys like Belichick or Saban do eccentric things, it's quirky and fun. When guys like Tim Brewster or Lane Kiffin do it, it's childish and petulant. The only difference is who wins a lot more football games.

You wouldn't care about any of this if he had won more. You're projecting your frustration with the losses onto his habits and behaviors. When guys like Belichick or Saban do eccentric things, it's quirky and fun. When guys like Tim Brewster or Lane Kiffin do it, it's childish and petulant. The only difference is who wins a lot more football games.

No it's not, Belichick and Saban are meatheads, that just happen to win a lot more. I never liked Brewster's asinine comments, weird saying(because I had an ole ball coach that was just as big a d-bag cheerleader and phony happy) and that was him three games into being the Gophers coach. Never disagreed with a new coach replacing coach Mason, just wasn't a fan of taking a chance of hiring Tim Brewster because I didn't trust the athletic director Joel Maturi into making the hiring decision. I have Maturi at a net zero, he redeemed himself in taking a chance on and hiring coach Kill(this is for cleaning up the APR, and keeping us out of scholarship losses), after the fiasco that was Brewster and the culture of not being a student. Dpodoll68, You are correct that it is your own perspective and experiences that colors your outside view. There was some Brewster personality in Maturi, that is probably what won him the job in the first place at least in my opinion.

They are all bull BS slingers to some extent, it's the presentation that you can tolerate that becomes a little more acceptable. Brett Bielema is a prime example, by all accounts he is an A-hole (I don't like running up the score), but for the most part he takes care of his players, does what he says he is going to do, and has been a winner as a head coach (Arkansas being in the SEC notwithstanding) Claeys looks like he has a lot of learning to do but so far, I like the schemes they have tried, and the fact that they are competitive with some new faces. How the offense develops in the future will really tell the tale and the ending to how coach Claeys will end up as Gophers head coach. I really disagreed with Brewster starting out with the spread offense without having any personal that could run that system. You don't jam a square peg in a round hole. You present some of the concepts and you work on it, but you have to give yourself a fighting chance at success out of the gate. This was setting yourself up for a downfall in my opinion, force feeding entirely new blocking schemes, and a foreign offense, by not really having any systems guy's and then trying to jam it all in at once.

Claey's still has to learn to be a head coach, systems to develop and he is new at it even if he has a few interim shots at it.
He is the guy we got, hopefully the mistakes get better and there are less of them that is all. Seeing some of the same undisciplined mistakes and penalty issues with this coach.
You don't have to like your coach, but if you learn from them, then they have done what they are supposed to do. Claeys as a first year head coach has had more success out of the gate then our previous two head coaches. Part of that is because there hasn't been a complete tear down and do over of the program. I would rather see the Gophers program build this way then try and tear it all down again for the thirteenth time and start over. If there is major regression then in a couple years they may not have a choice.

I have a controversial thought on this. I believe that Claeys' weight impacts how he is perceived. If he was 50 pounds lighter, I honestly believe that people would have a more favorable opinion of his abilities as a coach. in our modern culture, people who are overweight are perceived as being lazy or lacking self-control. People who are in good shape are perceived in a more positive light.

Look, it's his life. If he's happy at this weight, and has no significant health issues, he has every right to live his life. But, coaching is a profession where image matters. I think Claeys was a good coordinator, and can probably be a good head coach in the right situation - but at the D1 level in a power 5 conference, you're judged on more than wins and losses, and I think his weight is going to be a detriment in his coaching career. Whatever Limegrover did to drop all the weight, I'd like to see Claeys try the same thing.

I have a controversial thought on this. I believe that Claeys' weight impacts how he is perceived. If he was 50 pounds lighter, I honestly believe that people would have a more favorable opinion of his abilities as a coach. in our modern culture, people who are overweight are perceived as being lazy or lacking self-control. People who are in good shape are perceived in a more positive light.

Look, it's his life. If he's happy at this weight, and has no significant health issues, he has every right to live his life. But, coaching is a profession where image matters. I think Claeys was a good coordinator, and can probably be a good head coach in the right situation - but at the D1 level in a power 5 conference, you're judged on more than wins and losses, and I think his weight is going to be a detriment in his coaching career. Whatever Limegrover did to drop all the weight, I'd like to see Claeys try the same thing.

Limegrover had the stomach partial removal surgery that one where they make your stomach a small pouch. SON I don't disagree with you that in division 1 coaching there is an image thing to the weight thing. Remember all of the Kool aide man and you look like an orange signs that Mangino had when he was the head coach at Kansas? Like it or not, I'm sure it plays a role with recruits and their parents, the imaging thing. Claeys is big tall dude (I would say he is at least 6-5 to 6-6 legit), but seeing him waddle across the way to shake hands at the end of games, I'm sure it is used as negative recruiting like (are you sure your coach is going to be around) even if he is healthy. May also paint a perception thing amongst fans and the media(people complaining that he stays in the same spot on the sidelines). Like it or not when your the face of the program, you have to deal with crap like this.

I voted (and am hoping) for safe.

Although I'm frustrated with some of the results (We had so many chances to put Penn State away, could have beaten Iowa and Rutgers should not have been so close) I feel we are still on an upward trend and as long as that is the case I don't think we should change the coaching team. My frustration is that I feel we are better than some of the results suggest - not that we are in decline overall.

Coach Claeys, like Coach Kill before him, strikes me as a really decent man and I feel the football programme has more strength in depth (and in the underclassmen) than during any other season I've followed them. (I started in the last year of Brewster - when Rutgers, by comparison, had a genuine Heisman hopeful in Ray Rice)

If we can beat a quality opponent (Neb, Wisconsin or a Bowl matchup) I think we will consider this season a success in years to come. Not only do we miss Hardin as a player (I think he both covers and plays the run very well) the whole suspension thing must be a challenge for a first year head Coach. The Maryland game and the first quarter v Rutgers were the most dominant I've seen from us against B1G opponents. We just need to find some consistency and avoid our tendency to self-destruct at times.

Ironically, the fact we survived Rutgers, despite playing badly for the last three quarters, may help us gain confidence in our ability to win through the close ones.

SON, I agree with you and I don't think there is anything controversial given the way you phrased it. Had you said Claeys is straight-up unfit to coach because of his weight, that would be a red flag.

But as unfair as it may be, perception plays a huge role here. He doesn't fit the mold of a strong, successful P5 coach. He's morbidly obese. He's not a great public speaker. I think he has a few things like that going against him.

Here's to hoping he shatters takes those stereotypes and shoves 'em up our opponents "you know whats".

Before you crucify me, understand that I think he can succeed and I want him to succeed.

I sincerely believe that is best for all.

Which season tickets and which degree? I could keep my football tickets and sell to Iowa, Wisky, Nebraska, and whatever team the Gophers are playing. I would do that just for you.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone in the media, on this board or anywhere else suggesting the Gophers head coach could or should be fired if they go 8-4 is absolutely insane.

A case could be made for 8-4 being a disappointment but there is absolutely no chance a Gophers head football coach gets fired after 8-4 without some other factor (ex. cheating). None. Zero.

If you don't like Tracey Claeys and don't think he's the answer for this program that's your opinion and you might be right, we'll see. But suggesting he should be fired immediately if they had lost to Rutgers or suggesting he should be fired if they go 8-4 is preposterous and irrational.

Post of the year material.

Has anyone suggested he be fired if he goes 8-4? Sometimes there is some swinging at windmills.

I'd say let the season play out before making a judgment, right now the loss to Penn State doesn't look bad at all, Iowa is a tough team, I don't see a bad loss yet this season. Next two games are important but I don't see any reason they can't win them.

You are right, I am not a true fan. I will give up my season tickets and take back my degree just to make you happy. I will even quit going to basketball and hockey games. You brought up the year in and year out major bowl games. I would like to go to just one but thats me. If it pleases the court I will just add one more thing. I will try to be much happier at the Purdue game and if we do happen to win I will run onto the field with my fists pumped into the air. I will even hug Goldy. If I get a restraining order that is your fault.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regarding the celebrated restraining order, what an amazing contortion of our legal system to influence sports gambling. What kind of hammerlock will the sports gambling world think of next to constrain and handicap our Golden Gophers? Can anybody else cite such a restraining order for any other FBS or NFL team? Not one, not two, but five players! The Minneapolis / Hennepin County court system appears to be a circus act for the benefit of any interest that wishes to take key Golden Gopher Football players out of circulation. We win in spite of a corrupt local judicial system that tries to throw the game by disqualifying 5 of our players. What would the score have been if all 5 had all been allowed to play? I understand that perhaps only two of them would have played, but our #3 KiAnte Hardin is a play maker. Taking him alone off the field helps narrow or perhaps reverse the spread. What kind of creative law will be imposed to flood our Golden Gopher bilges against Purdue? What a soap opera. Only in Ziggy Wilf's Minneapolis.

I've been thinking the same thing trying to think of others in his spot. Most HC's at power 5 schools are in good shape in 2016. Outside of Bielema and Claeys is anyone noticeably out of shape?

I've mentioned in other threads that I'd love Claeys back at DC and PJ Fleck as HC.

For me, his weight doesn't matter one bit, it's the fact that his team couldn't beat at least one of Iowa and Penn St. He has not met expectations.

Top Bottom