• 40 - Seat is Red Hot

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • 30 or below - May need to win out to retain job

Votes: 11 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I think with 6 wins he stays.

I think they probably get 7.

I don't think they ever win more than 8 with TC as coach.

As I've said, if around .500 is what you aspire to, give him a lifetime contract

If they ever win 9, I'll happily eat my crow

Okay fair opinion. I will continue to support the team and staff throughout the season. If they finish with less than 8 I think a change is made.

We need to get past the "this is Gopher sports so below average is expected" type of mentality. We should expect better. I think the new AD expects better and will demand it. I think if (any) U of Minnesota coaches aren't winning then they need to be out and will be out. We deserve better.

Coyle has to take into account the weak schedule. We play a typical schedule we are possibly looking at a 5-7 win season. Couple that with the worst in the Big Ten penalty rate, generally sloppy play, off field distractions, and seeming lack of improvement thus far (all of which can hopefully change) Then, you consider he may "need" to extend after the season, or move on due to the very, very low buyout. The low buy out may tip Coyle one way or the other. Gotta think Coyle will want to make a splash rather than handcuff himself with an extension.

Anyone in the media, on this board or anywhere else suggesting the Gophers head coach could or should be fired if they go 8-4 is absolutely insane.

A case could be made for 8-4 being a disappointment but there is absolutely no chance a Gophers head football coach gets fired after 8-4 without some other factor (ex. cheating). None. Zero.

If you don't like Tracey Claeys and don't think he's the answer for this program that's your opinion and you might be right, we'll see. But suggesting he should be fired immediately if they had lost to Rutgers or suggesting he should be fired if they go 8-4 is preposterous and irrational.

No it's not. Mark my words. If he goes 8-4 that will be the peak, and he'll get fired (if not this year, next). But people like you just like to wait. Who will they have beat at 8-4? With their most talented team. We won't have to worry about 8-4 though will we?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claeys predicted a big win total prior to the season (~10). The Gophers have struggled with poor teams (Oregon St, Colorado St, and Rutgers). Perhaps the reason Claeys was so bold to predict a double digit win season is that he looked at the easiest schedule is recent history. The Gophers were almost assured of a bowl season before playing a down since they only had to win the non-conference and 3 B1G games with 3 games versus 3 or the 4 bottom teams in the B1G East as crossover games. But 6-6 would be a horrible season based on TC's pre-season boasting.
TC must win the Illinois and Purdue games giving him at least 7 wins, and win one against NW, Nebraska, or Wisconsin.
8-4 would probably give TC another season. 7-5 is a major disappointment based on HIS expectations.
He should be gone with a 7-5 record.

We need to get past the "this is Gopher sports so below average is expected" type of mentality. We should expect better. I think the new AD expects better and will demand it. I think if (any) U of Minnesota coaches aren't winning then they need to be out and will be out. We deserve better.

I agree! If everyone accepted mediocrity in their lives, we wouldn't have champions ever (well someone would have to be champion, I guess). Or productive individuals. Or innovative inventors. The list goes on. It seems like that train of thought is coming into play this season, coupled with the raise in ticket prices - because the crowds are starting to thin.

I agree! If everyone accepted mediocrity in their lives, we wouldn't have champions ever (well someone would have to be champion, I guess). Or productive individuals. Or innovative inventors. The list goes on. It seems like that train of thought is coming into play this season, coupled with the raise in ticket prices - because the crowds are starting to thin.

The difference is our actions have an affect on our own lives. They don't affect if our favorite football team is successful or not. I could be the most miserable person in the person after today's game and it wouldn't change a thing.

The difference is our actions have an affect on our own lives. They don't affect if our favorite football team is successful or not. I could be the most miserable person in the person after today's game and it wouldn't change a thing.

True. Just an observation about some people on this board. The complacent mindset baffles me. The question has come up before, but how do we as fans, not accept mediocrity from our football team? I'm not totally sure. For starters, I have not been attending any football games this year.

I really disliked all go 4 it 4th calls today. Normal coaches kick a field goal and punts on the other two calls. Not a very inspiring coaching performance today. Everything chaotic and seemed out of whack. That was aputrid game.

It may not matter that additional people were served with restraining orders. Other than that, the team won. I support Claeys.

5-2 and just a couple of plays from 7-0.

I understand how many of you feel. The Minnesota winter is just around the corner.
Remember, too, that Iowa struggled with Rutgers, winning only 14-7, and that was with the other QB for Rutgers. If the Gophers win only one more game, plenty to gripe about then.

For those who want TC out, you must not remember the Brewster years well. TC, at the moment, appears to be a slightly improved version of Glen Mason and far better than Brewster. The Gophs are beating teams they should beat, and lost a couple of heartbreakers. Unlike Mason, TC actually played non-cupcakes like Oregon St and Colorado St in the non-conference part of the schedule ... and won both games. Everybody would like teams that can beat Penn St and Iowa consistently, but let's face facts - Minnesota is not quite at the same level as Wisconsin yet. Could TC take us there? Maybe. Who else can Coyle hire for < $1M/year who will be head and shoulders better than TC? And what coach will come to the Twin Cities if TC wins 6-8 games this year then gets fired? This would be a repeat of the Tubby firing after reaching the 2nd round of NCAA. And look at what happened .... the BB team couldn't even get into the NIT last year.

For those who want TC out, you must not remember the Brewster years well. TC, at the moment, appears to be a slightly improved version of Glen Mason and far better than Brewster. The Gophs are beating teams they should beat, and lost a couple of heartbreakers. Unlike Mason, TC actually played non-cupcakes like Oregon St and Colorado St in the non-conference part of the schedule ... and won both games. Everybody would like teams that can beat Penn St and Iowa consistently, but let's face facts - Minnesota is not quite at the same level as Wisconsin yet. Could TC take us there? Maybe. Who else can Coyle hire for < $1M/year who will be head and shoulders better than TC? And what coach will come to the Twin Cities if TC wins 6-8 games this year then gets fired? This would be a repeat of the Tubby firing after reaching the 2nd round of NCAA. And look at what happened ....
the BB team couldn't even get into the NIT last year.

Those teams are a combined 6-9.

6 wins...he doesn't keep his job. 7 wins is iffy with a bowl loss. The athletic department and Coyles can't afford a money program being mediocre. With the investment that was made on practice/team facilities, everyone will be looking and demanding more than mediocre...and should be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True. Just an observation about some people on this board. The complacent mindset baffles me. The question has come up before, but how do we as fans, not accept mediocrity from our football team? I'm not totally sure. For starters, I have not been attending any football games this year.

What does not attending the games accomplish?

I refuse to accept mediocrity. I've had at least 8 more drinks than usual today and I'm still talking trash to my Rutgers friend.

I refuse to accept mediocrity. I've had at least 8 more drinks than usual today and I'm still talking trash to my Rutgers friend.

Having a Rutgers friend is accepting mediocrity. You should only have Gopher friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted this in another thread but there's no way we should be contemplating firing a 5-2 football coach at Minnesota unless there was some type of gross misconduct. Wins and losses are what matters and he will be evaluated on those at the end of the year. Won't matter whether those wins are by 2 points or 20 points. We're crazy if we fire a seven win coach at Minnesota after his first year.

What does not attending the games accomplish?

I have no idea.

But put it this way, it was easy enough to watch this game from a bar with family. But had I taken the time and money to travel to that game and then had to watch that? Boy I would be far more upset. I guess I'm assuming that if the day comes when only 20,000 fans show up to a 50,000 capacity stadium, someone will take notice and make a critical change in the direction of the program. Not saying it would ever get that bad. But team effort like today just isn't fun to watch in person in my opinion.

I posted this in another thread but there's no way we should be contemplating firing a 5-2 football coach at Minnesota unless there was some type of gross misconduct. Wins and losses are what matters and he will be evaluated on those at the end of the year. Won't matter whether those wins are by 2 points or 20 points. We're crazy if we fire a seven win coach at Minnesota after his first year.

This X a million

I have no idea.

But put it this way, it was easy enough to watch this game from a bar with family. But had I taken the time and money to travel to that game and then had to watch that? Boy I would be far more upset. I guess I'm assuming that if the day comes when only 20,000 fans show up to a 50,000 capacity stadium, someone will take notice and make a critical change in the direction of the program. Not saying it would ever get that bad. But team effort like today just isn't fun to watch in person in my opinion.

I think you need to write to the Athletic Department and tell them why you aren't there. It doesn't do any good to protest if you don't let them know why you are protesting.

I think you need to write to the Athletic Department and tell them why you aren't there. It doesn't do any good to protest if you don't let them know why you are protesting.

I don't think you have been following along...

We are 5-2 for christ sake and I fully expect to be 7-2 in two weeks even after what I saw today.

How can a 5-2 coach at a program thats been as mediocre as we have been be anything but safe?

We are 5-2 for christ sake and I fully expect to be 7-2 in two weeks even after what I saw today.

How can a 5-2 coach at a program thats been as mediocre as we have been be anything but safe?
Easily, a defecto interim with a new boss is no doubt on a scorching hot seat.

Gophers won!

That being said remember this is the easiest schedule the Gophers will EVER have. EVER. Only seven wins with the easiest schedule the Gophers will EVER have and Claeys should be fired.

Beat Illinois, Purdue and one of NW/WI/NE and he stays. Pretty simple.

Top Bottom