• 50 - Seat is Hot

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • 40 - Seat is Red Hot

Votes: 27 15.4%
  • 30 or below - May need to win out to retain job

Votes: 11 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For me, his weight doesn't matter one bit, it's the fact that his team couldn't beat at least one of Iowa and Penn St. He has not met expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it lends more to recruiting issues currently and down the road.

I have taken most of the (mainly valid) criticism as assertions we won't beat quality opponents if we keep playing like this. And, that's probably close to correct although one never knows how the ball will bounce.

There are also concerns about leadership, recruiting, prejudice vs overweight people (one of the last accepted prejudices in this country). These are all debatable points exacerbated by not getting it done when the chips are down. Obviously if we go 7 straight nobody is having this conversation.

There is always that one guy...

I personally think Clayes performance is still in the "need more information" phase, as of now. But if we do go another way, what do you all think of going after Strong, if Texas decided to can him. He seemed like the next big thing, before taking a really high pressure job in Texas. Great football school, but about as high pressure a job as there is. He'd have more time & patience here, I'd think.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The team reflects its leadership - coaching is mediocre at best - basics are not mastered - countless mistakes by offense - all a function of coaching or lack thereof. Claeys may be a great football coach, what is interesting, is his laid back style has his team playing that way. They are 5-2 granted, should be 7-0, in a year where the schedule was opportunistic. Giving Claeys benefit of the doubt... end of season analysis will determine the future of GGF. That said, sure hope he can beat Illini in Champaign this weekend or it could get uglier.

I personally think Clayes performance is still in the "need more information" phase, as of now. But if we do go another way, what do you all think of going after Strong, if Texas decided to can him. He seemed like the next big thing, before taking a really high pressure job in Texas. Great football school, but about as high pressure a job as there is. He'd have more time & patience here, I'd think.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Seeing that we have given Claeys seven games to prove himself, I'd say UT has given him plenty of time.

I don't like TC as a coach here - but given the number of homers and no commitment at the University to actually fielding a competitive team, I give him 100% job security.

This is hypothetical - but if TC came out as having a horrible drinking problem like SS did at USC, I think the immediate response from Gopher fans would be to get him the help he needs and probably extend him another year or two vs. firing the guy like USC did. For better or worse, that is the attitude of the average Gopher fan. Losing with dignity and cheering mediocrity due to low expectations - it's the Minnesota way!

I really disagreed with Brewster starting out with the spread offense without having any personal that could run that system. You don't jam a square peg in a round hole.

Mason's team needed a better defensive scheme to stop the meltdowns. They needed someone that could implement a passing defense that could stop every QB we faced - regardless of team/talent - from having a career day passing against us. The offense was not the problem under Mason. As soon as Brewster said he was throwing that out the window - I grew skeptical of his plan.

That said, I like TC as a defensive coordinator - I just think he has the same offensive problems that Kill had. I don't think TC is going anywhere for the next 2-3 years so I am just crossing my fingers that Weber or someone can finally coach up a QB to be B1G caliber. I really can't take another 4 year starter with ML ability and decision making. If someone on the offensive side of the ball can fix the passing game, TC can go back to fixing the D. A good D can win you 8 games a year in this watered down B1G. Get an actual QB on the other side of the ball an 9-11 wins is within reach.

I really disagreed with Brewster starting out with the spread offense without having any personal that could run that system. You don't jam a square peg in a round hole. You present some of the concepts and you work on it, but you have to give yourself a fighting chance at success out of the gate. This was setting yourself up for a downfall in my opinion, force feeding entirely new blocking schemes, and a foreign offense, by not really having any systems guy's and then trying to jam it all in at once.

This square peg round hole approach produced our best offense in the last 10 years, ranked 64th in the country according to ESPN (which does not include bowl games).

Kill/Claeys best offense was last year and ranked 84th. Even the last year of Brewster/Horton was ranked 83rd.

People are forgetting that Coyle will have to make a decision one way or the other after this season. Claeys will have to be extended or fired because no respectable football program will let their coach recruit on a 2 year deal.

A decision won't be and shouldn't be made until after the season plays out unless they are embarrassed by Nebraska or Wisconsin.

Based on what we've seen so far do you think Claeys should be extended?

This square peg round hole approach produced our best offense in the last 10 years, ranked 64th in the country according to ESPN (which does not include bowl games).

Kill/Claeys best offense was last year and ranked 84th. Even the last year of Brewster/Horton was ranked 83rd.

What stat are you using? Points and/or yards don't tell the entire story. That offense also finished 107th in the country in turnovers. The Kill/Claeys offense is designed to be a little more conservative.

What stat are you using? Points and/or yards don't tell the entire story. That offense also finished 107th in the country in turnovers. The Kill/Claeys offense is designed to be a little more conservative.

Total offense. And I don't disagree with you, just making a point that what gopherdudepart2 said about Brewster taking over and changing the offense was not his biggest problem. The defense was ranked last that year.

That first year 'without spread personnel' was the year Adam Weber had the most passing yards. The third year when Brewster switched back to a pro-style offense was his worst offense of the 4 years.

People are forgetting that Coyle will have to make a decision one way or the other after this season. Claeys will have to be extended or fired because no respectable football program will let their coach recruit on a 2 year deal.

A decision won't be and shouldn't be made until after the season plays out unless they are embarrassed by Nebraska or Wisconsin.

Based on what we've seen so far do you think Claeys should be extended?
Yes but with an easy buyout.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Time of possession and a quarterback that could throw.

That ranking of 64th was meaningless when the team was often down 21 or more points, with a lot of garbage time throws and scores, and the quarterback was getting sacked or killed half the game because the offensive line could not block the splits or block the scheme. The only time they had the ball for a long time was after they threw a pick or turned the ball over to the opposition and gave up a lot of points off turnovers. Because Brewster tried to pound a square peg into a round hole, using the spread he should have stayed with that philosophy. Changing back from the spread to the power I and pro offense hurt his chances to succeed as a head coach. Stick to your guns, if your going to go down, go down with a fighting chance and invest in your decision.
He Brewster started off recruiting to a spread and then after one season abandoned it and ended up with a new coordinator. You get the point that Brewster being overconfident in installing as system that didn't fit the personnel, then quickly abandoning it was a major part of his undoing, that and not being able to keep a consistent coaching staff. All of that chaos and change did him in. Believe it or not I actually think Brewster could succeed as a head coach again, with the right assistants that can coach the X's and O's because he does seem to be able to recruit some talent. Just because he failed here doesn't mean he should never be given a shot again, his being promoted to head coach in the Big 10 was not his fault, that he wasn't ready. Brewster wasn't a total loser as a football coach he just had goofy sayings, and acted weird at times to the media.

That offense was only on the field a lot because the defense could never stop anyone and the other team would score so quickly, the defense that started a true freshman CB and true freshman free safety most of that season.

That ranking of 64th was meaningless when the team was often down 21 or more points, with a lot of garbage time throws and scores, and the quarterback was getting sacked or killed half the game because the offensive line could not block the splits or block the scheme. The only time they had the ball for a long time was after they threw a pick or turned the ball over to the opposition and gave up a lot of points off turnovers. Because Brewster tried to pound a square peg into a round hole, using the spread he should have stayed with that philosophy. Changing back from the spread to the power I and pro offense hurt his chances to succeed as a head coach. Stick to your guns, if your going to go down, go down with a fighting chance and invest in your decision.
He Brewster started off recruiting to a spread and then after one season abandoned it and ended up with a new coordinator. You get the point that Brewster being overconfident in installing as system that didn't fit the personnel, then quickly abandoning it was a major part of his undoing, that and not being able to keep a consistent coaching staff. All of that chaos and change did him in. Believe it or not I actually think Brewster could succeed as a head coach again, with the right assistants that can coach the X's and O's because he does seem to be able to recruit some talent. Just because he failed here doesn't mean he should never be given a shot again, his being promoted to head coach in the Big 10 was not his fault, that he wasn't ready. Brewster wasn't a total loser as a football coach he just had goofy sayings, and acted weird at times to the media.

That offense was only on the field a lot because the defense could never stop anyone and the other team would score so quickly, the defense that started a true freshman CB and true freshman free safety most of that season.

Only three games that year were blowouts, the rest were close. Kill had worse losses his first year and that offense was ranked 110th. We do agree on the bolded though.

Only three games that year were blowouts, the rest were close. Kill had worse losses his first year and that offense was ranked 110th. We do agree on the bolded though.

Yeah but those Kill teams "looked good getting off the bus"!

Has anyone made any observations on how our current team looks getting off the bus?

Not being able to read Coyle's mind - I suspect we will have to wait until at least the end of the regular season to find out anything. If Coyle is inclined to make a change - the big question is whether he pulls the plug before or after the bowl game. (I'm assuming the Gophers will come up with at least one more win this year and qualify for a bowl game.)

It's going to be so much fun coming back to read this thread when the gophers win the rest of their games but 1 and have a 9-3 record and get a good bowl game.

It's going to be so much fun coming back to read this thread when the gophers win the rest of their games but 1 and have a 9-3 record and get a good bowl game.

A bowl game in which they will get blown out.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've read many posts similar to this one and hope that once and for all you are the first one to get it right!

Not being able to read Coyle's mind - I suspect we will have to wait until at least the end of the regular season to find out anything. If Coyle is inclined to make a change - the big question is whether he pulls the plug before or after the bowl game. (I'm assuming the Gophers will come up with at least one more win this year and qualify for a bowl game.)

Assuming Coyle plans to fire TC and the decision is independent of the outcome of the bowl game, I would guess Coyle cans him immediately after the WI game. The program can't afford to wait a month to get going on a new HC search when several other programs will be in the same boat.

Hopefully TC wins out and we don't have to worry about finding a new HC but if we do, best to turn the front porch light on earlier rather than later.

This square peg round hole approach produced <b>our best offense in the last 10 years, </b>ranked 64th in the country according to ESPN (which does not include bowl games).

Again, you can find stats to support just about anything.

Top Bottom