Claeys Announces Changes To Staff - Limegrover & Zebrowski are gone per U

Nothing is confirmed. Nothing is proven accurate or even reliable to this point with this rumor. but, if it is true, then I hope Claey's has some very specific people in mind that have agreed to join the program. He better be on the phone with the administration and his candidates and staff. Otherwise, this is pure BS and bad for the program. I don not care if there is transition. It just better be executed at a high level.

Dude, it's confirmed.

Did you watch the last few months of the year? I don't think Mitch is a good QB or anything, but it would be really surprising if anyone on the roster could outperform him. Look at his stats in the Big 10 season.

Mitch is just so inconsistent and that never sits well with any coaching staff. He is slow to get rid of the ball, his passes are often low, most passes that are caught aren't really thrown in the right location to give the receivers the ability to stay on their feet and get the YAC. Mitch fumbles the ball too much for my liking. He was completely unaware of the situation at the end of the Michigan game. I want so badly for him to succeed but he just frustrates the hell out of me.

After firing, Limegrover says he's confident he'll land on his feet , per Joe C ->

http://www.startribune.com/after-fi...s-confident-he-ll-land-on-his-feet/358317571/

Q. What is this like emotionally for you after being with this staff for so long?

A. "To be honest, I’m not even really thinking about it for myself right now because I’m pretty confident, bordering on cocky, that I’ll be able to land on my feet. The whole thing that was going through my mind is that my wife and my kids just love it here. They love where we live, love the community and love the schools. And that’s what really was on my mind that I’m going to have to go home and tell my wife and kids that we’re not going to be here much longer.

Gophers football: Limegrover and Zebrowski let go

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2015/11/29/gophers-football-limegrover-and-zebrowski-let-go/

Gophers offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover and quarterbacks coach Jim Zebrowski have been let go after a 5-7 season.

New head coach Tracy Claeys made the announcement at a Sunday night team meeting, following a 31-21 loss to Wisconsin on Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium.

“Matt and Jim are both terrific people and coaches, but I have decided to make a change that will better fit my offensive philosophy, which is to have one coordinator calling the plays,” Claeys said in a statement. “They have been great representatives for the university and always put our student-athletes first, and I thank them for their contributions to our program and wish them well in the future.”

The Gophers’ total offense was ranked 103rd among 127 teams in the nation with an average of 357.1 yards per game this season. Minnesota’s scoring offense was 104th with 22.6 points per game.

While Minnesota (5-7, 2-6 Big Ten) struggled at times this season, including the 10-7 win over Kent State and the 27-0 loss to Northwestern.

But since Claeys took there were strong offensive performances

Limegrover has been with Kill at Claeys since 1999 when he joined them at Emporia (Kan.) State.

Zebrowski joined Kill and Claeys two stops later at Northern Illinois in 2010.

It's hard to argue the offense was performing at a high level even last year. One average year out of five isn't good enough.

The question on whether Kill was the key factor in the schematic limitation is an open one. The team played better in many ways the last 5 games of the year, and the offensive line injury issues limiting the run game are well known. Still, the line hasn't been dominant at any point during their tenure, and the QB recruiting and development has been average to below average. I love Mitch, he is our best option and has improved, but he's not a program changer.

Inability to do simple things like get plays in to Mitch are simply inexcusable. The Michigan fiasco is 100% on Limey in my opinion. Claeyes will never say that.

Well, we were average the year before as well. We've been a middle of the road Big 10 offense the last two seasons.

Getting plays to the QB in time? This happens to every team. It seems like something that shouldn't happen, but this happens in college and the NFL for just about every team.

The Michigan fiasco was on Limey and Claeyes. If Claeys was not plugged into that play call, it's his fault for not being hands-on.

I'm not a big Limey fan, I just think OC is the easiest person to second guess.

I'm no expert on the topic, but what do you all think about waiting on this decision until after signing day, on the chance that some of our recruits are attached to the "full" staff that was involved in their recruitment? Is this a factor?

Do you realize how difficult that it to recruit to here vs in Michigan? The OLine talent here is not strong enough and raiding Wisconsin and Iowa 2nds isn't the same as grabbing OSU or UM 2nds. We need a gimmick, along the lines of zone blocking or something else unique.

I wouldn't call zone blocking a gimmick, and the right coach with the facilities being built should be able to recruit against Iowa and Wisconsin for offensive lineman, let's hope Tracy is that guy.

After firing, Limegrover says he's confident he'll land on his feet , per Joe C ->

http://www.startribune.com/after-fi...s-confident-he-ll-land-on-his-feet/358317571/

Q. What is this like emotionally for you after being with this staff for so long?

A. "To be honest, I’m not even really thinking about it for myself right now because I’m pretty confident, bordering on cocky, that I’ll be able to land on my feet. The whole thing that was going through my mind is that my wife and my kids just love it here. They love where we live, love the community and love the schools. And that’s what really was on my mind that I’m going to have to go home and tell my wife and kids that we’re not going to be here much longer.

That is tough. As a fan, I get so caught up in the wanting to win. Hope he has success in the next job.

Well, we were average the year before as well. We've been a middle of the road Big 10 offense the last two seasons.

Getting plays to the QB in time? This happens to every team. It seems like something that shouldn't happen, but this happens in college and the NFL for just about every team.

The Michigan fiasco was on Limey and Claeyes. If Claeys was not plugged into that play call, it's his fault for not being hands-on.

I'm not a big Limey fan, I just think OC is the easiest person to second guess.

I agree with you in that our offensive woes the last couple years have been vastly over exaggerated on this board, and that replacing him is no slam dunk and guarantees nothing. But I do think that the end of the Michigan game is mostly on limey. Having just been named interim coach mid week after having concentrated on defense all year, claeys has little choice to rely on the offensive coordinator for the play call in that situation, and the long shifting play call in that scenario was a terrible one.

Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems to me that Claeys did Limegrover and Zembrowski a favor and kindness by quickly letting them know they needed to move on. Both will now have much more time to find new jobs at another institution. Both guys should have a sense of gratitude once they get over the initial shock.

Wow, some FASCINATING insight in that short interview. Basically admitted that coaching O-Line and Coordinating was too much, and that he began doubting himself because of it. Also his comments about it getting "tougher and tougher" to stick with their offensive philosophy. I presume he meant that the power running game is done too well by Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU (teams we've tried to emulate) and it's a) tough to recruit these players to MN and b) tough to out-scheme teams who do the same thing on offense.

Curious what others think of these comments. I thought they were VERY eye-opening.

I wouldn't be so sure this wasn't happening even if kill was still at the helm.

laeys Announces Changes To Staff

University of Minnesota head football coach Tracy Claeys announced today that offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover and passing game coordinator Jim Zebrowski will not have their contracts renewed.

Limegrover also coached the offensive line, while Zebrowski coached the quarterbacks.

“Matt and Jim are both terrific people and coaches, but I have decided to make a change that will better fit my offensive philosophy, which is to have one coordinator calling the plays,” said Claeys. “They have been great representatives for the university and always put our student-athletes first, and I thank them for their contributions to our program and wish them well in the future.”

A search to replace Limegrover and Zebrowski will begin immediately.

What does that mean? Was Limegrover not calling the plays 100% of the time?

By the way, it is all lining up for Lane Kiffin to take over as OC and then potentially head coach down the line. :rolleyes:

What exactly does Claeys mean when he says he wants "one coordinator calling the plays"? Wasn't Limegrover the only one calling the plays before?

Interesting note: Limegrover's salary ($550k) put him among the Top-50 assistant coaches in total pay and Zebrowski was paid very well ($253k) for a QB coach. Anyone know how contracts/buyouts work for assistant coaches?

And it will be interesting to see if TC is given a similar budget to make new hires. My guess would be probably not :(

For reference:

Assistant Coach Salaries: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant
Head Coach Salaries: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Their contracts became void when Kill left. U then gave them new contracts thru 12/31/15. They will just run out - no buyout. It may have been in the works already when the new contracts were issued.

I wouldn't be so sure this wasn't happening even if kill was still at the helm.

This is the part that's really vexing me. Kill threw his full weight behind Claeys getting the full time gig. Kills was EXTREMELY loyal to Limegrover (who said as much in his Strib interview). So right now, I gotta think Kill is either feeling:

1) Extremely p!ssed and betrayed as he had no idea this was coming

2) Relieved he didn't have to do this himself as he knew it was time

3) Upset, as he didn't know the full plan, but he understands the business

This whole thing is fascinating.

What does that mean? Was Limegrover not calling the plays 100% of the time?
I was a little confused by this as well but I thought with it saying Zebrowski was passing game coordinator maybe he had a heavy influence in what passing plays were being used from week to week and maybe even drive to drive.

What exactly does Claeys mean when he says he wants "one coordinator calling the plays"? Wasn't Limegrover the only one calling the plays before?

That was also extremely interesting. That's what we thought, but it sounds like Zebrowski might have called some -- or all -- of the passing plays. So basically, LG decides we've gotta pass, and Z calls the play. I mean, what else could Claeys mean by that? This whole thing just keeps getting more interesting...

HAHA, i'd take it. His defenses sucked but his offenses were pretty unstoppable.

I know people are kinda joking but I would prefer to not hire a guy who hasn't coached in any capacity in 10 years.

Wow, some FASCINATING insight in that short interview. Basically admitted that coaching O-Line and Coordinating was too much, and that he began doubting himself because of it. Also his comments about it getting "tougher and tougher" to stick with their offensive philosophy. I presume he meant that the power running game is done too well by Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU (teams we've tried to emulate) and it's a) tough to recruit these players to MN and b) tough to out-scheme teams who do the same thing on offense.

Curious what others think of these comments. I thought they were VERY eye-opening.

We do not run pro style offense! We run read option among other things from shot gun and spread formations. Will the comparisons to MSU, Wisconsin, and Iowa stop.

That was the very interesting part to me. It seemed like Limegrover knew he probably needed to focus on being just OL or OC and told Kill that at least once and Kill pushed him to keep trying to get through it. I've thought for the last couple years now that being OL and OC has to be very difficult and that we should try to separate those duties out. I hope Claeys is able to move quickly with these new hires and hires an OL coach who only works with the OL and if he wants an OC to work with a position group I would have that be the QBs.

May we never hear the words Chandler Harnish or Jordan Lynch again!!!!!

(Matt Limegrover seems like a really, really nice guy. I hope he lands in a great spot.)

Zebrowski implied, almost forthrightly, that Kill nixed a lot of the creative play calls. Said Claeyes was much more open to trying new things. Not quite throwing Kill under the bus, but close.

I can't recall exactly but I think Limey said somewhat the same during a presses or interview.

It clearly does not matter, but I'm curious as to what Kill thinks about this move.

Top Bottom