Claeys Announces Changes To Staff - Limegrover & Zebrowski are gone per U

I have to give Claeys credit...he has some big cahones. There was a long history between those two and to let him go can't be an easy decision, but it was the right decision. I am liking the Claeys hire a lot more now!!!

As the saying goes, "A new broom sweeps clean." These changes are OK with me. The offense was embarrassing at times and OL line play left much to be desired even taking into account the injuries. It was time for a change. Look at what TCU did after they opened up their offense several years ago. Claeys knows the coaching personnel and abilities better than anyone and he is entitled to make these changes. Its his neck that's in the noose if he doesn't deliver next year and thereafter.

The UW-Eau CLaire HC position is open Coach Z might land there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Limegrover also end up as a HC at a lower level.

No more allegiance to Leidner! If he can't improve going into his last season, the QB position should be wide open. I have to believe Claeys has someone in mind for the OC position.

Did you watch the last few months of the year? I don't think Mitch is a good QB or anything, but it would be really surprising if anyone on the roster could outperform him. Look at his stats in the Big 10 season.

No more allegiance to Leidner! If he can't improve going into his last season, the QB position should be wide open. I have to believe Claeys has someone in mind for the OC position.

Exactly what my first thought was as well - I can't imagine he'd make this move without a new OC ready to go. At the very least, TC must have a 2-3 person shortlist.

The comments made by Z and Limey after the game a few weeks ago can be seen in a little different light now. Perhaps they knew they were dead men walking or at least in danger and were making a public case that the inept offense we've seen for the majority of the past five seasons wasn't entirely their fault.

Building their public résumé and defending their professional reputations. Can't blame them. It will be interesting to see where they land. Unfortunately we will never know the truth or the path not traveled. Maybe the offense would have found new legs next season without Kill.

As the saying goes, "A new broom sweeps clean." These changes are OK with me. The offense was embarrassing at times and OL line play left much to be desired even taking into account the injuries. It was time for a change. Look at what TCU did after they opened up their offense several years ago. Claeys knows the coaching personnel and abilities better than anyone and he is entitled to make these changes. Its his neck that's in the noose if he doesn't deliver next year and thereafter.

Claeys only has a 3 year contract with a new AD on the way, if he does not perform well in a short time frame he is as good as gone and he knows it, so I think that is why he is wasting no time in getting new coaches installed.

The comments made by Z and Limey after the game a few weeks ago can be seen in a little different light now. Perhaps they knew they were dead men walking or at least in danger and were making a public case that the inept offense we've seen for the majority of the past five seasons wasn't entirely their fault.

Building their public résumé and defending their professional reputations. Can't blame them. It will be interesting to see where they land. Unfortunately we will never know the truth or the path not traveled. Maybe the offense would have found new legs next season without Kill.

What comments are you referring to?

Claeys knows he has to make his stamp on this program and perform well ahead of a new AD hire.

This is a very good first move, that was necessary for this team to keep improving.

I'll be interested to see who they pick up, but would prefer a pro-style set along the lines of what Michigan State runs. Strong OL/TEs, good running backs, and QBs that can actually hit a pass five yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

I don't mind the move. I think Claeys needs to do what he thinks is best for the program. That said, we were a middle of the road offensive team last year. I don't know if that's as easy to replace as we all think it might be.

It's hard to argue the offense was performing at a high level even last year. One average year out of five isn't good enough.

The question on whether Kill was the key factor in the schematic limitation is an open one. The team played better in many ways the last 5 games of the year, and the offensive line injury issues limiting the run game are well known. Still, the line hasn't been dominant at any point during their tenure, and the QB recruiting and development has been average to below average. I love Mitch, he is our best option and has improved, but he's not a program changer.

Inability to do simple things like get plays in to Mitch are simply inexcusable. The Michigan fiasco is 100% on Limey in my opinion. Claeyes will never say that.

With the praise that Claeys has heaped on Adam Weber in helping Leidner- I expect Weber to be named QB coach.

What comments are you referring to?

Zebrowski implied, almost forthrightly, that Kill nixed a lot of the creative play calls. Said Claeyes was much more open to trying new things. Not quite throwing Kill under the bus, but close.

I can't recall exactly but I think Limey said somewhat the same during a presses or interview.

Interesting note: Limegrover's salary ($550k) put him among the Top-50 assistant coaches in total pay and Zebrowski was paid very well ($253k) for a QB coach. Anyone know how contracts/buyouts work for assistant coaches?

And it will be interesting to see if TC is given a similar budget to make new hires. My guess would be probably not :(

For reference:

Assistant Coach Salaries: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant
Head Coach Salaries: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

It's hard to argue the offense was performing at a high level even last year. One average year out of five isn't good enough.

The question on whether Kill was the key factor in the schematic limitation is an open one. The team played better in many ways the last 5 games of the year, and the offensive line injury issues limiting the run game are well known. Still, the line hasn't been dominant at any point during their tenure, and the QB recruiting and development has been average to below average. I love Mitch, he is our best option and has improved, but he's not a program changer.

Inability to do simple things like get plays in to Mitch are simply inexcusable. The Michigan fiasco is 100% on Limey in my opinion. Claeyes will never say that.

I agree with you. I kind of expected Limegrover to take responsibility for the Michigan fiasco but he let Claeys take the heat for it.
He had some good game plans over the past few years, but the number of duds were too many.

I have to give Claeys credit...he has some big cahones. There was a long history between those two and to let him go can't be an easy decision, but it was the right decision. I am liking the Claeys hire a lot more now!!!

Have to agree.
Like proudgopher says, "it's his neck on the line".

Claeys knows he has to make his stamp on this program and perform well ahead of a new AD hire.

This is a very good first move, that was necessary for this team to keep improving.

I'll be interested to see who they pick up, but would prefer a pro-style set along the lines of what Michigan State runs. Strong OL/TEs, good running backs, and QBs that can actually hit a pass five yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

Do you realize how difficult that it to recruit to here vs in Michigan? The OLine talent here is not strong enough and raiding Wisconsin and Iowa 2nds isn't the same as grabbing OSU or UM 2nds. We need a gimmick, along the lines of zone blocking or something else unique.

I agree with you. I kind of expected Limegrover to take responsibility for the Michigan fiasco but he let Claeys take the heat for it.
He had some good game plans over the past few years, but the number of duds were too many.

I wonder if the Michigan fiasco influenced Claey's decision to make a change at all. Obviously as the Head Coach Claeys needed to be more aware of the time/situation, but it was his first game in forever with any offensive responsibility. I blame Limegrover for the mismanagement, and perhaps Claeys did too.

A ray of hope emerges. I'm betting he knows who/what he can get. Will we continue to "pound the rock" or will we try to be more balanced? It's hard to have immediate success if the offense completely changes.

Appreciate the official confirmation, Nadine. CC to mods: please merge this thread with the other "Coaching changes" thread so everyone doesn't have to read through two threads.

That's actually why I started a new thread, so people could get the information and official word from the U and not have to search for it it 4 pages of posts.

That's actually why I started a new thread, so people could get the information and official word from the U and not have to search for it it 4 pages of posts.

Makes sense. But merge/lock the other thread then. Why do we need for two identical discussions in different threads?? :confused::confused:

A ray of hope emerges. I'm betting he knows who/what he can get. Will we continue to "pound the rock" or will we try to be more balanced? It's hard to have immediate success if the offense completely changes.

They threw the ball as much as they ran the ball this year. You can't get more balanced.

I wonder if the Michigan fiasco influenced Claey's decision to make a change at all. Obviously as the Head Coach Claeys needed to be more aware of the time/situation, but it was his first game in forever with any offensive responsibility. I blame Limegrover for the mismanagement, and perhaps Claeys did too.

Yeah either Coach Z or Limegrover should have a. Called a different play and b. Made sure Leidner knew the clock was going to start.

Tough decisions being made by the big guy........

I wish the best to these two guys, but hope it benefits the program down the line.

Tough decisions being made by the big guy........

I wish the best to these two guys, but hope it benefits the program down the line.

Nothing is confirmed. Nothing is proven accurate or even reliable to this point with this rumor. but, if it is true, then I hope Claey's has some very specific people in mind that have agreed to join the program. He better be on the phone with the administration and his candidates and staff. Otherwise, this is pure BS and bad for the program. I don not care if there is transition. It just better be executed at a high level.

Claeys shakes up Gophers coaching staff, firing Limegrover and Zebrowski

http://www.startribune.com/claeys-s...ff-firing-limegrover-and-zebrowski/358289741/

Gophers players were being notified of the moves in a 5:45 p.m., meeting, according to a person familiar with the decision.

The Gophers then issued a statement, saying a search for the two replacements would begin immediately. In the statement, Claeys said, "Matt and Jim are both terrific people and coaches, but I have decided to make a change that will better fit my offensive philosophy, which is to have one coordinator calling the plays. They have been great representatives for the university and always put our student-athletes first, and I thank them for their contributions to our program and wish them well in the future.”

The moves brought an abrupt end to the longtime continuity this coaching staff prided itself on under former coach Jerry Kill, who retired for health reasons on Oct. 28.

Limegrover first joined Kill and Claeys in 1999, when they were working at Emporia State, a Division-II school in Kansas. Zebrowski came aboard at Northern Illinois in 2010, and the whole group made the move to Minnesota together after that season.

When Kill retired, Claeys took over as interim coach, and hinted that day that offensive staff changes could be coming if he were hired to keep the job.

“I pretty much know on defense what I would like to do,” Claeys said. “[Offense] is the side of the ball that we would look at, and the philosophy of that, and find something that fits my personality and what I think can be successful again at the University of Minnesota.”

Makes sense. But merge/lock the other thread then. Why do we need for two identical discussions in different threads?? :confused::confused:

Why cut off good discussion? A lot of people are following and participated on that thread. For those who haven't - this has the quick official info.

Top Bottom