Chris Autman-Bell injury

as far as what this means for the Gophers:

WR's are not interchangeable. some players are more effective on certain types of routes. It's very rare to find one WR who can run every type of route with equal effectiveness.

So the question becomes: which WR on the Gopher roster can do the best job of running the type of routes that CrAB typically runs? I'm not sure if there is one guy who can do that. it may have to be WR by committee - Brown-Stephens runs certain routes, Jackson runs certain routes, Geary runs certain routes and so forth.

But, the point is, you cannot stop running those routes. they are a big part of the offense. some player or a combination of players will have to assume that role in the offense.

Bummer.

7th year!?!? Wow. More power to him if they get the waiver and he wants to pursue it.
I think he probably has to if he has hopes of playing in the NFL. He was already a borderline draftable prospect and this doesn’t help.

He could always try going the UDFA camp route but that’s a long shot made longer by coming off a major injury and perhaps unable to work out.

Sucks a ton and I hurt for CAB but at least the 2023 Gophers probably got better.

as far as what this means for the Gophers:

WR's are not interchangeable. some players are more effective on certain types of routes. It's very rare to find one WR who can run every type of route with equal effectiveness.

So the question becomes: which WR on the Gopher roster can do the best job of running the type of routes that CrAB typically runs? I'm not sure if there is one guy who can do that. it may have to be WR by committee - Brown-Stephens runs certain routes, Jackson runs certain routes, Geary runs certain routes and so forth.

But, the point is, you cannot stop running those routes. they are a big part of the offense. some player or a combination of players will have to assume that role in the offense.

Painting with broad strokes here, but you could say MBS is the #1 slot receiver, with Clay Geary the #2 slot receiver. CAB was the #1 Y receiver, & Dylan Wright is the #1 X receiver. Daniel Jackson is likely the #2 to both Y & X receiver positions, with Le'Meke Brockington behind him.

My prediction for MSU is Jackson at Y receiver, Wright at X receiver, & MBS in the slot. One long shot (imo) is MBS moves outside (where he did play some last season) to spell CAB at the Y, with Clay Geary becoming the #1 slot receiver. If that happens, in my mind it would indicate Jackson is not fully healthy still.

The Gophers got by with so many running backs going down last year. Will they do the same with their superstar receiver going down? No doubt, a lot will depend on who steps up to replace CAB. We have a 6-year QB to help with the situation but what gives me more hope is the offensive line. They were the main difference when the RBs went down. To some extent, the same is true here. You give a QB enough time and the receivers will get open. It's as simple as that.

The Gophers got by with so many running backs going down last year. Will they do the same with their superstar receiver going down? No doubt, a lot will depend on who steps up to replace CAB. We have a 6-year QB to help with the situation but what gives me more hope is the offensive line. They were the main difference when the RBs went down. To some extent, the same is true here. You give a QB enough time and the receivers will get open. It's as simple as that.
The gophers superstar receiver? Yes. A superstar receiver? I havent looked up the stats but where did Crab rank in the B1G and Nationally? Anyone know?

The gophers superstar receiver? Yes. A superstar receiver? I havent looked up the stats but where did Crab rank in the B1G and Nationally? Anyone know?
77th nationally in receiving yards, though some of the people above him have 4 games

Hell of a gesture from Jake Butt. "Butt Dial" caught me off guard. Never heard of it before.

You've never had the joy of putting your mobile phone in your pocket unlocked and have it dial a random person in your contacts before?😲
I don't even have to go through all that trouble to f things up.

I meant I never heard of his show. It's the play on his name that got me. I don't get out much.....

Top Bottom