Chip Scoggins: Gophers have a quarterback quandary

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

The Gophers football team has a quandary. A quarterback quandary, which is not something anyone wants to hear one game into a new season.

As presently constructed, the Gophers are good enough to win the Big Ten West, though Wisconsin remains the favorite until proven otherwise. But as presently constructed, the Gophers’ quarterback’s inconsistency also could cost them a shot at winning their division.

And yet Mitch Leidner is still the Gophers’ best option at this point, emphasis on that disclaimer. At this point, right now.

But for how long?

That’s what the Gophers must decide. Jerry Kill and his staff could face a difficult decision eventually.

Everyone wants to see Leidner succeed. But the Gophers can’t keep wishing and hoping forever.

http://www.startribune.com/it-s-a-reality-check-leidner-is-who-he-is/324864091/

Go Gophers!!

If anything, this article should have been about the O line and how it has to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little bit of a wishy-washy column from Chip, but I agree with his main point. If the Gophers want to take the next step, they need Leidner (or someone else) to become their own Connor Cook. They've built the defense to the point where the Gophers can expect to be in every game, but you still need a QB that can drive the bus.

Leidner reminds me a lot of Andrew Maxwell a couple years ago at MSU. Staff says he's a great kid, excellent leader, improving, etc., but at some point you have to get it done on a consistent basis. When you have a great defense, you have to help it out. Finally Dantonio pulled the trigger on a tough decision with Maxwell/Cook, and MSU has been truly elite since. Kill might be getting close to that point with Leidner. Hopefully Colorado State is a big jump in performance for Leidner.

Strevler played one or two snaps due to a hard hit and ml came back in right after. Obviously Jerry thought ml had the better camp and is a better qb right now or there would already have been a different starter. Might be a little early to call it a quandary.

I think the quandary is next year. I don't think Leidner is 100% the QB as a 5th year senior. I think Croft will be ready to take on some of the load.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the quandary is next year. I don't think Leidner is 100% the QB as a 5th year senior. I think Croft will be ready to take on some of the load.

The truth of the matter is none of us other than the coaches have any idea if Croft is close to being ready to play. He might have a great arm but doesn't have a any handle at all on the play book. I would be shocked if he starts next year. The best player on most teams is the 2nd string QB. In this case its our number 3 or 4 QB.

Go Gophers

I agree, Croft absolutely needs a year in the weight room but once his body's ready, it'll be a dogfight.

A little bit of a wishy-washy column from Chip, but I agree with his main point. If the Gophers want to take the next step, they need Leidner (or someone else) to become their own Connor Cook. They've built the defense to the point where the Gophers can expect to be in every game, but you still need a QB that can drive the bus.

Leidner reminds me a lot of Andrew Maxwell a couple years ago at MSU. Staff says he's a great kid, excellent leader, improving, etc., but at some point you have to get it done on a consistent basis. When you have a great defense, you have to help it out. Finally Dantonio pulled the trigger on a tough decision with Maxwell/Cook, and MSU has been truly elite since. Kill might be getting close to that point with Leidner. Hopefully Colorado State is a big jump in performance for Leidner.

But do the Gophers have a Connor Cook? I suspect they don't.

I actually think there is zero chance Croft and Leidner don't split time next year.

I agree in general that Cook is a good example of what can hope that Leidner would be.

Though it's funny that people are worked up about Leidner's 19/35 200yd game against #2 TCU, while Cook had a 15/31 260yd game against the hated Broncos of WMU.

Besides Lauer, the o-line was fine. Leidner had time to throw the ball. I didn't know there were so many clueless Leidner apologists on this board. He is so bad I'm not sure he could start for most FCS teams.

heh, i almost commented in this thread.

I agree in general that Cook is a good example of what can hope that Leidner would be.

Though it's funny that people are worked up about Leidner's 19/35 200yd game against #2 TCU, while Cook had a 15/31 260yd game against the hated Broncos of WMU.

I didn't see the MSU game so can't really compare the performances, but stats can only tell part of the story. There were some simple throws that Mitch missed on, which we are accustomed to now. It's hard to overthrow a 6'10" TE on a 10 yard throw. Even on a good portion of his completions his throws were wobbly. Yes they made it to the receiver and were caught, but spirals do make it easier to catch and if you are a college QB that should be second nature by now. But he wasn't getting much time in the pocket most of the night, and the running game wasn't clicking for awhile which makes it tougher on the passing game.

All that said, Leidner gives us our best chance to win at the moment. Barring injury he should start every game this year. TCU will be one of the top defenses we see all year, at least speed and athleticism wise. He should bounce back against CSU and have a better rest of the year than last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually think there is zero chance Croft and Leidner don't split time next year.

We are way too willing to get over-confident about players we have never seen take a snap. Before he played, many thought Berkely was going to get us to the promised land. Some were convinced that Jeff Jones would absolutely be our best option at running back next year, and now Croft is our sure-fire next starter.

We are way too willing to get over-confident about players we have never seen take a snap. Before he played, many thought Berkely was going to get us to the promised land. Some were convinced that Jeff Jones would absolutely be our best option at running back next year, and now Croft is our sure-fire next starter.

I agree, but based on Streveler playing other positions, articles about Croft possibly #2, and no mention of Perra in same way, it's a safe bet.

19/35 against what appears to be an awesome defense, with a busted up OL, numerous dropped passes & people are calling for his head. It's a comedy show around here.

19/35 against what appears to be an awesome defense, with a busted up OL, numerous dropped passes & people are calling for his head. It's a comedy show around here.

Yup. As we saw on thursday.....even heisman favorites throw errant passes at times.

It's two things.

1) It's the mentality of people who learned everything they know about football playing Madden. If the player you have is an '82' overall ranking & the incoming Freshman is a '93' overall ranking, then you just sub in the Freshman & you're better! In real life, a 4th year Jr is almost always better than a more talented Freshman.

2) "The back-up QB is always the most popular player on the team". Remember when fans were calling for Marquies to replace Weber? And then for Shortell should replace Marqueis? And then for Nelson to replace Shortell? And then Leidner to replace Nelson? Then there was some talk of McKinzy being the next obvious starter (have we forgotten the McKinzy love already?). Now it's Croft and next year it'll be Poljan.

Yup. As we saw on thursday.....even heisman favorites throw errant passes at times.

Payton Manning fails to complete multiple passes every game. What people are asking of Mitch or any QB is unrealistic.

Payton Manning fails to complete multiple passes every game. What people are asking of Mitch or any QB is unrealistic.

Right. Would I prefer if Leidner were a little more consistent......I think we all would.......but he isn't nearly as bad as some people make him out to be.

It's two things.

1) It's the mentality of people who learned everything they know about football playing Madden. If the player you have is an '82' overall ranking & the incoming Freshman is a '93' overall ranking, then you just sub in the Freshman & you're better! In real life, a 4th year Jr is almost always better than a more talented Freshman.

2) "The back-up QB is always the most popular player on the team". Remember when fans were calling for Marquies to replace Weber? And then for Shortell should replace Marqueis? And then for Nelson to replace Shortell? And then Leidner to replace Nelson? Then there was some talk of McKinzy being the next obvious starter (have we forgotten the McKinzy love already?). Now it's Croft and next year it'll be Poljan.

Preach!
It doesn't surprise me that people call for the backup. It does surprise me that they never learn from their previous mistake.

Right. Would I prefer if Leidner were a little more consistent......I think we all would.......but he isn't nearly as bad as some people make him out to be.

Whenever people pepper their posts with stuff like "He's not even a D1 QB" or "If we even had an average B1G QB" I know to just disregard their opinions. He's a game manager. That's what 90% of college football QB's are & that's ok. The argument that we need a real superstar to get to the next level is a legitimate one, but we don't have that. People who think Croft is the #2 QB already or is going to take the reigns from Mitch next year are fooling themselves.

By my account 14 Power 5 QB's threw 35 or more passes this weekend. 9 of them lost. When you are losing, the other team knows you're going to pass and it becomes harder to complete them. 3 of the 9 had a lower yd/att. Meaning he didn't have a lot of time to throw or hung onto ball to long.

One thought - Kill & Co. showed at Northern Illinois that they will use two quarterbacks IF they think each quarterback has something to contribute, and IF everyone is mature enough to handle the situation. So, it's not out of the realm of possibility that we could see a 2nd QB (Croft, Perra?) getting more snaps next year, or see Streveler as a "slash" type of player who gets snaps as a wildcat QB, or flanks out and runs jet sweeps.

But, to piggyback on what Costa is saying - QB's are not machines. Sat nite I watched the Augsburg-Wartburg game and Augsburg's SR QB, Aryton Scott - one of the best QB's in the MIAC, threw 3 INT's in an 8-point loss to a ranked team. (on another topic, the Wartburg student production of "Knight Vision" was a hoot - female color analyst said Augsburg could not win because they were 8 points behind, and you can only score 7 points on a TD - apparently has never heard of 2-pt conversion)

Whenever people pepper their posts with stuff like "He's not even a D1 QB" or "If we even had an average B1G QB" I know to just disregard their opinions. He's a game manager. That's what 90% of college football QB's are & that's ok. The argument that we need a real superstar to get to the next level is a legitimate one, but we don't have that. People who think Croft is the #2 QB already or is going to take the reigns from Mitch next year are fooling themselves.

If Croft is better than Leidner at this point next year.....he'll play. Until the staff makes that determination.....the hand wringing over who starts is a joke.

Nobody is saying the quarterback has to be perfect

When he rates out at a 104th best of 115 quarterbacks who played this week, I think it's okay for people to expect better. If you factor in the opponent he vaults to 90th best. All Chip is saying is we need average quarterback play. We didn't get it in game one. Any rational person or coach is going to explore all remedies. Maybe we have none other than Mitch performing better? But to deny we have a problem...that's the comedy to me. http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr/_/page/3/sort/qbr

Strevler played one or two snaps due to a hard hit and ml came back in right after. Obviously Jerry thought ml had the better camp and is a better qb right now or there would already have been a different starter. Might be a little early to call it a quandary.

CS5 played one snap and it wasn't due to a hard hit. It was a designed wildcat play and ML7 was lined up at WR on the play.

Top Bottom