Cam Christie is entering the Transfer Portal

Real quiet in here from the "he won't be drafted" crowd
By tomorrow (Wednesday) night at 11pm CDT, Cam Christie must have withdrawn from the NBA DRAFT or he will be draft-eligible for 2024.
Anytime after that the Gophers could add a portal transfer or a walk-on to replace Christie.
Here is hoping they choose to add a valuable portal transfer as soon as Thursday morning.
Ken Evans Jr., Jackson State, Wing

Last edited:

By tomorrow (Wednesday) night at 11pm CDT, Cam Christie must have withdrawn from the NBA DRAFT or he will be draft-eligible for 2024.
Anytime after that the Gophers could add a portal transfer or a walk-on to replace Christie.
Here is hoping they choose to add a valuable portal transfer as soon as Thursday morning.
Well just to toss a little wood on the fire, here's an excerpt from an article written 2 days ago discussing 4 teams in the mix for Evans: I'd love to see it but doubt it happens.

Minnesota Golden Gophers
The late departure of freshman starter Cam Christie was a sudden loss for the Gophers. They did land New Mexico State transfer Femi Odukale but he's not much of a scorer. This is a place where Evans could very well start and gives them a needed second-option on offense to pair with returning star, Dawson Garcia.

Well just to toss a little wood on the fire, here's an excerpt from an article written 2 days ago discussing 4 teams in the mix for Evans: I'd love to see it but doubt it happens.

Minnesota Golden Gophers
The late departure of freshman starter Cam Christie was a sudden loss for the Gophers. They did land New Mexico State transfer Femi Odukale but he's not much of a scorer. This is a place where Evans could very well start and gives them a needed second-option on offense to pair with returning star, Dawson Garcia.
In, back on the Evans wagon.

Again, I highly doubt it happens.... If I were Ben, I would go all out to get one more really good player if, as is likely, Christie stays in the draft. Evans seems to be a perfect fit.
I'm all in to go all out!
There is nothing to lose except what we don't have anyway!

I would think that if Christie is going to withdraw from the NBA draft, he would announce it during business hours today.
It would make no sense for him to make that announcement late at night.
If we hear nothing by dinner time, I would assume that he is staying in the draft.

We are second-guessing the NBA Draft stay-or-go decisions made by these players​

https://www.cbssports.com/writers/david-cobb/

Cam Christie, Minnesota

Count me in the crowd that believes Christie would've gone 10-15 spots higher in 2025 than he'll go this year. In a weak draft, I understand why the one-and-doner out of Minnesota is looking to capitalize on his potential — with a guarantee he'll hear his name called between 20th and 40th.

Christie averaged 11.3 points on a 19-win Minnesota team that would've been boosted significantly if he opted to return. Had he portaled to a different destination, Christie would've probably commanded north of $750,000 in NIL earnings. And had he come back, there's a realistic scenario in which he could've popped as a top-40 player in college next season and catapulted that to top-20 stock in the 2025 Draft.

I don't think his decision is egregious — far from it — but I do think he's the increasingly rare case of a player opting in early who is leaving real earnings potential on the table by chasing the chance of being drafted in the first round. -- Matt Norlander

Go Gophers!!

We are second-guessing the NBA Draft stay-or-go decisions made by these players​

https://www.cbssports.com/writers/david-cobb/

Cam Christie, Minnesota

Count me in the crowd that believes Christie would've gone 10-15 spots higher in 2025 than he'll go this year. In a weak draft, I understand why the one-and-doner out of Minnesota is looking to capitalize on his potential — with a guarantee he'll hear his name called between 20th and 40th.

Christie averaged 11.3 points on a 19-win Minnesota team that would've been boosted significantly if he opted to return. Had he portaled to a different destination, Christie would've probably commanded north of $750,000 in NIL earnings. And had he come back, there's a realistic scenario in which he could've popped as a top-40 player in college next season and catapulted that to top-20 stock in the 2025 Draft.

I don't think his decision is egregious — far from it — but I do think he's the increasingly rare case of a player opting in early who is leaving real earnings potential on the table by chasing the chance of being drafted in the first round. -- Matt Norlander

Go Gophers!!
He really seems to be listing reasons why Cam made the right choice.
  • Deeper draft next year
  • Guaranteed to be drafted between 20-40
    • Next year there is a "realistic scenario" where he improves his stock.
He also ignores that Cam is now 1 year closer to being a FA and he has NBA level coaching/training 1 year sooner.

• Deeper draft next year
He also ignores that Cam is now 1 year closer to being a FA and he has NBA level coaching/training 1 year sooner.

Agreed. It would be shocking for any 18 year old without a five-star pedigree to pass on the chance to be drafted in the first round. 20 is the highest range I've seen for Cam anywhere. If that was the feedback he got from teams, it's a no brainer for him to stay in the draft.

• Deeper draft next year
You're the one who ignores the other point of view (probably because you guys hate the coach so much that you enjoy seeing the team decimated). Not the guy who wrote the article.

He simply said that he thinks Cam might have been able to go 10-15 spots higher next year.

But let's not make a big argument about it.

You're the one who ignores the other point of view (probably because you guys hate the coach so much that you enjoy seeing the team decimated). Not the guy who wrote the article.

He simply said that he thinks Cam might have been able to go 10-15 spots higher next year.

What if the team stayed together .. we can play that game...

What if he comes back to totally blows apart his knee... What if he comes back and just like every other second year player under CBJ doesn't improve much and now he's considered a udfa... You take the money when you can. He wants to play in the NBA. When that opportunity knocks.. you awnser the fucking door

What if the team stayed together .. we can play that game...

What if he comes back to totally blows apart his knee... What if he comes back and just like every other second year player under CBJ doesn't improve much and now he's considered a udfa... You take the money when you can. He wants to play in the NBA. When that opportunity knocks.. you awnser the fucking door
I know you don't like the coach. But it's still okay to give the reasons for Christie possibly staying.

I will fully admit I was wrong he will go in the 2nd round! Oh well thanks for the year, wish u well but when this happens it makes me wonder how team orientedand comitted he was!
Lets replace him, next man up, and move on!
This n How out of hand NIL is magnifies to me what is wrong with high level Division 1 major sports and why i have become more and more jaded. U want true amateur collegiate sports, everyone should be d3, no scholarships, just legit financial aid, no national recruiting, no million dollar head coaches.
Our major college sports as is are just minor league pro teams.

I know you don't like the coach. But it's still okay to give the reasons for Christie possibly staying.
There are reasons to stay and go. In my opinion he will improve more with NBA coaching than in his former situation. But there is a chance he could have been a top 15-20 pick in 2025. We’ll never know now.

Right he made his choice let it go

I visit a few Timberwolves boards and I'm surprised how many fans would be happy with Christie at #27, let alone #37.

Seems ridiculous for a "win now" team to grab a guy that needs at least 2-3 years development to contribute but what do I know...I love dill pickle potato chips.

A CBS Sports Mock Draft from Kyle Boone yesterday has him going 31st to Toronto

I visit a few Timberwolves boards and I'm surprised how many fans would be happy with Christie at #27, let alone #37.

Seems ridiculous for a "win now" team to grab a guy that needs at least 2-3 years development to contribute but what do I know...I love dill pickle potato chips.
Me too! Old Dutch are the best.

Dill Chips.jpg

It's extremely unlikely that anyone available at #27 would be in a position to help a playoff team win his rookie season. Might as well swing for the biggest upside

There are reasons to stay and go. In my opinion he will improve more with NBA coaching than in his former situation. But there is a chance he could have been a top 15-20 pick in 2025. We’ll never know now.
Everyone here talks about coaching. As if all other college & NBA teams have special better knowledge of how to put a ball through a hoop.

Right he made his choice let it go
A very fair & balanced article was posted...listing the pros & cons of going into the draft early. And guys here who hate Ben jumped all over it...saying Christie needs to go.

Listing all the same old tired arguments we've heard here a hundred times. Of course with the getting better coaching mantra.

It's extremely unlikely that anyone available at #27 would be in a position to help a playoff team win his rookie season. Might as well swing for the biggest upside
I don't disagree at all although there will be players that are more prepared physically.

I guess I'm hoping we would bundle 27 & 37 to move up high enough to grab a guy like Shannon or da Silva that could be in the rotation more quickly.

Last edited:

Everyone here talks about coaching. As if all other college & NBA teams have special better knowledge of how to put a ball through a hoop.
So in your opinion would BJ and staff been just as effective at developing him as NBA coaches?

So in your opinion would BJ and staff been just as effective at developing him as NBA coaches?
Yes. What are they going to tell him different? And I'm sure the Christie family already has access to individual trainers.

Once you've made basketball your career for 20-30 years...I doubt if there's much you don't know about.

A very fair & balanced article was posted...listing the pros & cons of going into the draft early. And guys here who hate Ben jumped all over it...saying Christie needs to go.

Listing all the same old tired arguments we've heard here a hundred times. Of course with the getting better coaching mantra.
Not a soul said christie NEEDS to go

Top Bottom