giphy.webp

My list of concerns about MN being selected to the Pinstripe Bowl:
  1. Weather
  2. Inferior opponent compared to other bowls
  3. Crap stadium setup
  4. Cost of lodging
  5. Likely low attendance that adds to the perception that MN doesn't travel
998. Limited selection of attractive shows on Broadway right now
999. Getting mugged on the subway, lol...
Go ride the F, 7, N or any other subway a few times and tell me what your new rank for #999 goes to.

My father had his mouth busted open, knocked out and mugged by 1-2 guys with a pipe or brass knuckles on the subway platform at Grand Central Station going to work.

Muggings happen all day long on NYC subways. That place is a hell hole and I lived there for over 30 years, unfortunately.

I hear that you not only get mugged on your way to work....but you get mugged at work too. NYC....AM I RIGHT!?

Man, every tidbit I read has me thinking the Music City prefers Iowa. They were apparently super excited to get Iowa for the first time in 2020, but it was canceled for COVID. The thing that would apparently tip the scales for Minnesota would be Kentucky getting into that game since they played Iowa in the Citrus Bowl last year. Apparently Kentucky has packed that bowl out multiple times in the past and would love to go back. I don't know how the SEC selection process works, but I wouldn't be surprised if the SEC team gets placed first, and if it's Kentucky the B1G would send MN...but if it's anyone else, they'd send Iowa.

We will see. Could be, but our conference record and overall record is better than Maryland. The ACC HQ is moving from Greensboro to Charlotte next year. We are a better match for FSU than the Terps. I went to Minnesota and took graduate classes at Maryland but I only root for the Gophers. ACC? I always preferred NC State to Maryland.
Better record ... better matchup. Yep, all of those.

And .... so? Those things don't matter to the bowl's board that determines which team they want to select.

Really, think about it. Who wants to go to NYC and get mugged on the subway? Not I said the little black hen. Plus you can’t carry in NY without going through a background check.
I’ll be your chaperone ( for a modest fee) -lived here 25 years and never once been a victim of crime, including during my several trips to Yankee Stadium in the Boogie Down Bronx.

Go ride the F, 7, N or any other subway a few times and tell me what your new rank for #999 goes to.

My father had his mouth busted open, knocked out and mugged by 1-2 guys with a pipe or brass knuckles on the subway platform at Grand Central Station going to work.

Muggings happen all day long on NYC subways. That place is a hell hole and I lived there for over 30 years, unfortunately.
Really? Per my handle, I currently live here - 25 years and counting.

When did you move to FLA?
Where in NYC did you live? I’m looking for a specific neighborhood - as your hyperbolic statement regarding the subway sounds like a 👿.
When did the unfortunate assault happen to your father?

Last edited:

Man, every tidbit I read has me thinking the Music City prefers Iowa. They were apparently super excited to get Iowa for the first time in 2020, but it was canceled for COVID. The thing that would apparently tip the scales for Minnesota would be Kentucky getting into that game since they played Iowa in the Citrus Bowl last year. Apparently Kentucky has packed that bowl out multiple times in the past and would love to go back. I don't know how the SEC selection process works, but I wouldn't be surprised if the SEC team gets placed first, and if it's Kentucky the B1G would send MN...but if it's anyone else, they'd send Iowa.
The Big Ten doesn't pick teams to go, this far down. The bowl tells the conference which team it will take, and the conference does not care.

The Big Ten doesn't pick teams to go, this far down. The bowl tells the conference which team it will take, and the conference does not care.
I mean, you might be right because none of us know how this actually works, but according to the only document they've every released about the process, the B1G and bowls work together to "place" teams to create the best matchups and introduce variety into the destinations for programs. But again, I don't think any of us know. Like you, I'm fairly convinced it'll be the Pinstripe since a) Minnesota has never been there, b) the MCB seems hard up to get Iowa, and c) there's a couple angles for Maryland to get the Mayo.

The Gophers won’t play a 6-6 team will they?
Louisville, Syracuse, and Wake Forest are 7-5, those are the lowest bowl eligible records they have.

From here: https://theacc.com/sports/2022/1/31/FB_0131224420.aspx

It looks like the Pinstripe is 5 down from the Orange bowl for them. They won't get a CFP team or any other NY6 team, just the Orange Bowl to the winner of Clemson vs UNC.

Looking at their standings, would think Mayo would pick in-state NC State if they can, so maybe leaving Duke as the 6th team? The Pinstripe might prefer Syracuse though.

Coyle's previous hire Dino Babers salvaged a 6-0 start by not going 0-6 the second half, just managed to avoid losing to Boston College.

Really? Per my handle, I currently live here - 25 years and counting.

When did you move to FLA?
Where in NYC did you live? I’m looking for a specific neighborhood - as your hyperbolic statement regarding the subway sounds like a 👿.
When did the unfortunate assault happen to your father?
Probably in 1977 or so.

Yet another reason why we're guaranteed to get the Pinstripe: Maryland just went there last year (curb-stomped VT), so they cannot go back this year.

Same reason as we can't go to the Phoenix, that's where Wisc might end up.

Though quite frankly, if they're going to let the MC take 7-5 Iowa ... then there's absolutely no reason they'd prevent Mayo from taking Wisconsin. They were there in 2020, so not against the rules. And that was covid with only 1500 attendance allowed. Doesn't really count anyway.

Maybe then Maryland would end up in the Phoenix bowl. Guess we'll see. I just know the Pinstripe is our destiny this year. Accept it

Probably in 1977 or so.
I lived in NYC for all of the 1980s. Rode the subway at all hours. Never a problem and there was a lot of crime then(Bernard Goetz shot suspected muggers on train during that period). Of course one could get mugged but not likely if one stayed alert and used common sense.

It could still go like this:

Illannoy to Tampa
Hawkeyes to Nashville
us to Charlotte
Bucky to NYC
Maryland to Phoenix

It could still go like this:

Illannoy to Tampa
Hawkeyes to Nashville
us to Charlotte
Bucky to NYC
Maryland to Phoenix
Would require the Mayo to pick us, when they pick next after the MC picks and takes Iowa.

Yes, it could happen. It won't, though. They'll prefer either Wisc or Maryland.

United has sub-$300 nonstop from MSP to Newark, getting in around 10am Eastern the day of the Pinstripe, which starts at 2pm Eastern. Plenty of time to get over to Yankee Stadium, even if you take public transit.

Come back later afternoon on Saturday, for that price. No carry-on, but probably can wear and fit all in a backpack.

Would jump on that if you plan to go, algorithms and demand will spike those prices if you wait until the announcement.

Last night my wife asked if Minnesota will be in a bowl game and I said yes...probably late December. Then she asked, "which weekend so I know how to plan things?". I said, "No worries...I can about guarantee they'll be playing in the middle of the week, while you're at work. You won't even know they've played."

United has sub-$300 nonstop from MSP to Newark, getting in around 10am Eastern the day of the Pinstripe, which starts at 2pm Eastern. Plenty of time to get over to Yankee Stadium, even if you take public transit.

Come back later afternoon on Saturday, for that price. No carry-on, but probably can wear and fit all in a backpack.

Would jump on that if you plan to go, algorithms and demand will spike those prices if you wait until the announcement.
Are you that sure it's the Pinstrip? If it's make sure you travel in a group if you use mass transit.

I'm thinking this Sunday the bowl announcements will be made. So you can book two options on Saturday, and then cancel one for free. There is a law saying they have to give a full refund if you cancel within 24hrs of the booking.

Last edited:

I gotta think it isnt pinstripe as it would require Maryland to jump Minnesota having a worse conference record, worse overall record, worse record against common opponents:
Penn state, rutgers, Michigan state, wisconsin, Purdue, northwestern (4-2 vs 3-3 for them), and a smaller traveling fanbase (in my experience)

The only way it would be Minnesota to pinstripe is if there is an unwritten rule about Maryland and Rutgers playing out west.

I'm thinking this Sunday the bowl announcements will be made. So you can book two options on Saturday, and then cancel one for free. There is a law saying they have to give a full refund if you cancel within 24hrs of the booking.
*if it's > 2 days before departure

Edit: apparently it's per airline. I was thinking of American (as I just booked a flight yesterday)

• Alaska: Must be booked at least 24 hours prior to departure.
  • American: Must be booked at least two days prior to departure.
  • Delta: Must be booked at least three days (or 72 hours) prior to departure.
  • JetBlue: Must be booked at least a week prior to departure.
  • Southwest: The 24-hour rule applies to all bookings.
  • United: Must be booked at least a week prior to departure.

I gotta think it isnt pinstripe as it would require Maryland to jump Minnesota having a worse conference record, worse overall record, worse record against common opponents:
Penn state, rutgers, Michigan state, wisconsin, Purdue, northwestern (4-2 vs 3-3 for them), and a smaller traveling fanbase (in my experience)

The only way it would be Minnesota to pinstripe is if there is an unwritten rule about Maryland and Rutgers playing out west.
You're citing things that don't matter to bowls, nor that the Big Ten cares about for lower bowls.

Penn St jumped teams last year.

Very easy travel for Maryland base in DC/Baltimore areas to travel to Charlotte, probably a decent amount of Maryland there (banking HQ for BoA).

Last night my wife asked if Minnesota will be in a bowl game and I said yes...probably late December. Then she asked, "which weekend so I know how to plan things?". I said, "No worries...I can about guarantee they'll be playing in the middle of the week, while you're at work. You won't even know they've played."
It used to be that just the low-level bowls were played on random weekday afternoons. The NFL continues to saturate as much of what used to be bowl season as possible. It seems like at this point it would make more sense for the G5 conferences to organize their own bowl games and control all of the television rights to them.

Looking at their standings, would think Mayo would pick in-state NC State if they can, so maybe leaving Duke as the 6th team? The Pinstripe might prefer Syracuse though.

The only possible value of playing a 7-5 Syracuse team that lost five of its last six games would be to avenge that humiliating loss in the 2013 Texas Bowl where 8-4 Minnesota lost to 6-6 Syracuse.

You're citing things that don't matter to bowls, nor that the Big Ten cares about for lower bowls.

Penn St jumped teams last year.

Very easy travel for Maryland base in DC/Baltimore areas to travel to Charlotte, probably a decent amount of Maryland there (banking HQ for BoA).
Lol
Maryland fans don’t show up to games in Maryland, you think they’re going to Carolina?

Top Bottom