Bowl Game Projections?

I'm not so sure it reset. I think most of them just rolled over so it had to be at least 5 teams in a 6 year period with no repeats.

Coyle was on with Gaard on Saturday's pregame show and said the only rule currently is Big Ten teams cannot go the same bowl game two years in a row. I think he called it a "recency clause" or something like that. Said he was learning all about the clauses and that they were sending relevant info to all the bowl committees the past few weeks. He said our reputation has improved as a fanbase that will travel.

My big takeaway - he said we are eligible for all bowls except Phoenix. If I remember right, I think he said the same was true for the rest of the Big Ten, that the clause goes back only one year. Maybe he was wrong, or maybe I didn't hear it right, but that was my recollection of what he said. I was listening to it on my phone while looking for a parking spot in Madison, so could have been somewhat distracted. But, it totally caught my attention and I was surprised he framed it that way. That the clause is for only one year back.

Last edited:

The one saving grace about the Pinstripe is that the opponent could be a reasonably good team like 8-4 Pitt. Those 8-4 or 7-5 ACC teams are almost of interchangeable quality.
Yeah sure, it's "good" in the sense that we will hopefully get a win. Just like the Phoenix bowl was last year, that way.

Do you have a source for this?
I don't think a source exists for how it is exactly done. I don't think they want fans to know. Just ... some stuff happens in a back room, the doors open in a puff of cigar smoke, and the announcement is made about who goes where.

Coyle was on with Gaard on Saturday's pregame show and said the only rule currently is Big Ten teams cannot go the same bowl game two years in a row. I think he called it a "recency clause" or something like that. Said he was learning all about the clauses and that they were sending relevant info to all the bowl committees the past few weeks. He said our reputation has improved as a fanbase that will travel.

My big takeaway - he said we are eligible for all bowls except Phoenix. If I remember right, I think he said the same was true for the rest of the Big Ten, that the clause goes back only one year. Maybe he was wrong, or maybe I didn't hear it right, but that was my recollection of what he said. I was listening to it on my phone while looking for a parking spot in Madison, so could have been somewhat distracted. But, it totally caught my attention and I was surprised he framed it that way. That the clause is for only one year back.
I think this is correct.

I think they wanted to simplify it and give (even) more leeway to Bowl game partners. IE, let them select (almost) whoever the F they want. It's all about TV and $$$, and nothing else.

So just not two years in a row. But the 5 different teams in 6 years thing, was the past bowl cycle. Don't think they carried that over.

Correct.
And right now iowa isn’t even entertaining enough to draw their typical travelers. I’ve never heard the Iowa fans I know so negative about the program

That’s exactly why you don’t pick them
OK. I could buy that. That Iowa fans this year are down and cheap and don't want to spend the money and travel, after that trash performance against Nebraska.

So, said that way, more specifically, then I could see it.

Pretty sure the Big Ten has input.
Of course they do .... they just don't care.

Literally why should they care, even if the Mayo wants to take Wisconsin over both Maryland and Minnesota!

They let Penn State go to the Outback, right?

You definitely could be right, and the bottom line is that none of us actually know how these contracts are structured -- unless Kevin Warren is posting here 😂. Since the bowls signed new 6 year agreements for 2020-2025, I assumed the "5 teams in 6 years" requirements reset at that time rather than moving forward on a rolling basis, but I truly have no idea. The only thing I ever saw officially released by the B1G was this very vague article with no strict parameters.
Right.

I think they just plain got rid of it altogether, other than not the same bowl in back-to-back years.

Agreed. The local fan support is great and the venue is totally underrated (a natural bowl in the foothills of mountains north of town) but the BG10 prefers a mayonnaise fest or freeze-your-ass-off-in-NY bowl.
They so desperately want to plant their flag in NYC.

And NYC is like: who gives a ___ about college football?

But for the majority of fans who will be watching on TV, one bowl game is pretty much like another. the only difference is the date and time of kickoff.

FWIW:
Pinstripe - Thur, Dec 29 - 1pm (CST)
Mayo - Fri, Dec 30 - 11am
Music City - Sat, Dec 31 - 11am
None of them are very good for TV, quite frankly.

Pinstripe - Thursday afternoon. Everyone's working. Cheeze-it and Alamo bowls are later that day.
Mayo - the earliest slot on Friday, in a day with five bowl games. Mayo, Sun, Gator, Arizona, and Orange Bowl. Most still working.
MC - Sat 11am at the same time as the Sugar Bowl. Also both CFP semi-final games are later that day.

MC is by far the best, but will definitely be overshadowed.

So, to me it's fan experience. Nashville for NYE? Sounds like a blast. We won't get it ...

We might get a better Bowl. Iowa has really gotten a "down" rep this year. It is unbelievable how negative the fanbase is down here (Des Moines area).

Still cannot beleive we lost to the Squawkeyes, but that is another thread.....

The individual Bowl committees have a say in this, too. I think technically, the B1G is supposed to have final say, but if Bowl X really wants a certain team, I suspect the B1G will go along to keep their bowl partners happy.

In the end, this is how I see bowl games:
1. Rose Bowl
2. New Year's Day bowls
3. everything else

to be sure, if you're planning to attend a game in person, the destination matters. I get that. But for the majority of fans who will be watching on TV, one bowl game is pretty much like another. the only difference is the date and time of kickoff.

FWIW:
Pinstripe - Thur, Dec 29 - 1pm (CST)
Mayo - Fri, Dec 30 - 11am
Music City - Sat, Dec 31 - 11am

Quality of opponent matters more than venue but there is some relationship between the two.

We might get a better Bowl. Iowa has really gotten a "down" rep this year. It is unbelievable how negative the fanbase is down here (Des Moines area).

You haven't seen our fan base on game days along with dealing with issues.

You haven't seen our fan base on game days along with dealing with issues.
Best place for a bowl game is near a Minnesota retirement community, like Arizona, to ensure there are some Minnesotans in the stands.

Yah-E Chronicles - Las Vegas Bowl vs Tulane

Of course they do .... they just don't care.

Literally why should they care, even if the Mayo wants to take Wisconsin over both Maryland and Minnesota!

They let Penn State go to the Outback, right?

I said last year when we got strapped with an underwhelming bowl.....that I believed we'd get the benefit the next time something like this came around. I'll wait and see what we get before pissing down my leg.....because I think we won't get shafted this time around.

This year is amazing.
We are one non fumble by a guy who doesn’t fumble away from being rated 19th

That and a MBS catch from being rated 10th

And we underachieved in a 3rd game to boot

I said last year when we got strapped with an underwhelming bowl.....that I believed we'd get the benefit the next time something like this came around. I'll wait and see what we get before pissing down my leg.....because I think we won't get shafted this time around.
What's not shafted?

I think we get Pinstripe, when we deserve the Mayo. All day long.

I whined heavily last year when the Gophers fell all the way to the Guaranteed Rate bowl. I had several people right here on Gopherhole tell me it was just a set of strange circumstances that we got passed up by several teams for better bowls and it was nothing personal. It was totally understandable and it just meant that next time under similar circumstances we would be the ones getting the benefit of the doubt.

Since nobody is ever wrong on Gopherhole, it is time to order up your hotels in Tampa. That is the only possible bowl destination because it was all but confirmed to me last year, right here on the only source of truth.

I whined heavily last year when the Gophers fell all the way to the Guaranteed Rate bowl. I had several people right here on Gopherhole tell me it was just a set of strange circumstances that we got passed up by several teams for better bowls and it was nothing personal. It was totally understandable and it just meant that next time under similar circumstances we would be the ones getting the benefit of the doubt.

Since nobody is ever wrong on Gopherhole, it is time to order up your hotels in Tampa. That is the only possible bowl destination because it was all but confirmed to me last year, right here on the only source of truth.
You might want to hold up because I think only 1 of 1000 things I have seen have said Tampa.
Book to Atlanta and you can drive to wherever from there

You might want to hold up because I think only 1 of 1000 things I have seen have said Tampa.
Book to Atlanta and you can drive to wherever from there
I was joking 😉

There isn't a big temperature difference between NYC on December 29th and Nashville on December 31st. The historical average temperature in NYC on 12/29 is 37 and for Nashville on 12/31 it is 40.4.

I would also say that Nashville hotel prices are much more likely to be jacked up really high on New Years Eve as opposed to NYC on December 29th. Flights might be easier in and out of NYC around its bowl date. Few would want to rent a car in NYC but public transportation is more plentiful there.
I'm seeing 46 for average in Nashville. 39 in NYC.

Everybody and their brother has Purdue going to the Citrus. Unless it's contractual that the West champion goes to that game (I don't think it is), would they really be the top pick with an 8-5 record after getting monkey-stomped on national TV by Michigan?
Who else would you put there?

Pinstripe is the lowest bowl we can possibly get this year. Can’t go to Phoenix, QL is off the table.

That’s what we’ll get. Would’ve gotten the same if we had lost to Wisc.

I’ll assume it until it doesn’t happen.
Normally I'd say lighten up and tell you to have some hope, but I'm starting to think this as well. I've been perusing Hawkeye sites, and while regular Joe's are afraid it'll be Pinstripe, there's certain people with very high post counts stating it'll be Music City. Their beat writer for the Athletic thinks the same thing and collaborates with Mandel on their bowl projections -- which have Iowa in the Music City, Maryland in the Mayo, and Minnesota in the Pinstripe. So yeah, I'm now assuming this is what will happen as well. But hey, you know the old adage: set your expectations low and you'll never be disapointed, lol!

Agreed. The local fan support is great and the venue is totally underrated (a natural bowl in the foothills of mountains north of town) but the BG10 prefers a mayonnaise fest or freeze-your-ass-off-in-NY bowl.

Plus, Chico's Tacos is one of my favorite hole in the wall restaurants ever.

Top Bottom