Bowl Game Projections?

I agree with all of that. The Gophers got ******. They deserved better.

I was answering a post asking why the B1G didnt just not send a team to NY.

Or why NY?

The BiG wants the NY tv market.
I'm not sure the question was why not just not send a team to NY, by why even keep dealing with them. I believe that contract has been re-upped at least once.....and I'm not sure what midwestern fan base would be looking forward to spending that much $$ to go to that game in December. I get wanting the NY tv market....but how much of the market are they picking up at 1pm on a workday....for a game that'll be on national TV anyway. Are they really getting that much of a viewership bump just because it's in NY? I mean, they will this year because it's basically a home game for Syracuse.

If you’re confused about this bowl, read this: Big Ten strikes long-term Pinstripe Bowl deal

Gophers are basically the last of the Big Ten teams that might reasonably be expected to play in this game that hasn’t yet (Penn State, Indiana, Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State and Maryland). I assume this is the last year of the contract (probably extended due to no game in 2020). This was a big deal for the Pinstripe at the time, and it was a part of the league’s push into the East Coast a decade ago. The Pinstripe now has a higher payout than the bowls it replaced in the Big Ten’s lineup (Gator and Sun). It’s also higher than the Las Vegas Bowl.

pinstripe selected before both of these bowls
The article was about the bowls that wanted Maryland, and why they wanted them.

Maryland was ineligible for the Pinstripe, so your comment here is invalid.

If you’re confused about this bowl, read this: Big Ten strikes long-term Pinstripe Bowl deal

Gophers are basically the last of the Big Ten teams that might reasonably be expected to play in this game that hasn’t yet (Penn State, Indiana, Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State and Maryland). I assume this is the last year of the contract (probably extended due to no game in 2020). This was a big deal for the Pinstripe at the time, and it was a part of the league’s push into the East Coast a decade ago. The Pinstripe now has a higher payout than the bowls it replaced in the Big Ten’s lineup (Gator and Sun). It’s also higher than the Las Vegas Bowl.
The original contract went through 2021 season, but was extended by the Big Ten when they did the next round of bowl contracts after the 2019 season. IE, the next round being seasons 2020-2025.

They extended the Pinstripe at that time, so it goes through 2025 and aligns with the rest in that sense.

The Big Ten will be putting teams in the Pinstripe through the 2025 season, unless the bowl folds.

I think we all understand that the B16 signed the contract with the Pinstripe...., the question is more why. Who wants to sit in a baseball stadium in New York in the middle of the afternoon on Thursday and watch a football game in 30 degree weather. I can do that in my garage for $1000 less....and then the bowl and all selection committees will complain MN "doesn't travel". Everyone travels, given it's a destination. There would be a better chance I'd go to the Bahamas Bowl to watch the Gophers play Middle Tennessee than NY vs Syracuse.
They thought/think people would think it a fun trip to go to NYC at the end of December.

The Big Ten will be putting teams in the Pinstripe through the 2025 season, unless the bowl folds.
Dare to dream....

The whole thing makes no sense. Has any team/fanbase been stoked to be in this bowl since its inception? Plus their Twitter feed just screams "corporate PR hack social media message #24675"...that is, no soul, no fun. Duke Mayo at least has sizzle.

Well, godspeed to those who are making the trip!

The article was about the bowls that wanted Maryland, and why they wanted them.

Maryland was ineligible for the Pinstripe, so your comment here is invalid.
Both the bowls in your article didn’t have the option to choose Minnesota.
But yeah it’s a good comparison to Wisconsin and why they might want Maryland over wisconsin

Top Bottom