Ben Johnson is a Disaster

That was 26 years ago and the game has changed.
I understand what you all are saying, but at the same time, I believe that basketball is basketball. The only thing that's materially changed since then is that the 3-point arc has moved further away, and the semicircle has been added under that basket.

I understand what you all are saying, but at the same time, I believe that basketball is basketball. The only thing that's materially changed since then is that the 3-point arc has moved further away, and the semicircle has been added under that basket.
If you compare the % / number of shots teams took from 3 in 1997 vs. 2023, the crazy difference is obvious.

Teams are attempting way more 3's on average, meaning there is much more floor to cover, rendering the double big man lineup almost moot.

Now I'm not saying that a modern day version of a bruising Thomas/James frontcourt couldn't work, just that it's becoming more and more uncommon, and would require the rest of your roster to be perfectly aligned for it to work.

And we ran him out of town

I stopped and watched a little bit of the Nevada-New Mexico game on TV the other night; Steve Alford against Pitino. I found myself longing for the days of Pitino when it seemed like the team actually had an offensive scheme, a plan, and were doing a good job of executing it.

And this is coming from someone who was totally fine with moving on from Pitino, because I thought they were going to pursue a coach that was actually somewhat qualified for the job.

If you compare the % / number of shots teams took from 3 in 1997 vs. 2023, the crazy difference is obvious.

Teams are attempting way more 3's on average, meaning there is much more floor to cover, rendering the double big man lineup almost moot.

Now I'm not saying that a modern day version of a bruising Thomas/James frontcourt couldn't work, just that it's becoming more and more uncommon, and would require the rest of your roster to be perfectly aligned for it to work.
I'm a little torn, because if you'd ask me what I'd run, it would be one stiff and four mobile guys. But anyone who's closed off to the idea of something new or old (because a lot of "innovations" are just rediscovery of old methods) are complacent and limited by definition.

I'm a little torn, because if you'd ask me what I'd run, it would be one stiff and four mobile guys. But anyone who's closed off to the idea of something new or old (because a lot of "innovations" are just rediscovery of old methods) are complacent and limited by definition.
Nellie’s old chestnut. ‘We will run em outta the gym!’

Last edited:

FWIW - Doogie was on with the Skor North boys and they all agreed that St. Thomas would beat the Gophers if they played this season. (disclaimer - Skor North is affiliated with a radio station that carries St. Thomas athletic events).

Doogie said that several of the Gophers' players were not "high-major" players - they were more like "mid-major players." he did not name names, but he did say he likes Payne's potential and Joseph is "better than he thought he'd be."

"Moneyball" applies to all sports and is cyclical.

FWIW - Doogie was on with the Skor North boys and they all agreed that St. Thomas would beat the Gophers if they played this season. (disclaimer - Skor North is affiliated with a radio station that carries St. Thomas athletic events).

Doogie said that several of the Gophers' players were not "high-major" players - they were more like "mid-major players." he did not name names, but he did say he likes Payne's potential and Joseph is "better than he thought he'd be."
Doogies aside, Skor North's opinion of Gopher sports is irrelevant. They openly brag about how they don't watch Gopher football or basketball. An odd thing for a Minnesota sports talk show to do. Reusse is the only one who ever watches the games or brings them up, and the who could name more than 2 players on the team.

Last edited:

Samuels, I suppose, but if they're talking about the freshmen, they're being over-the-top slanderous. All those kids had good offers. They're all 3-star rated, right?

Last edited:

I believe Coach Johnson received a 5 year deal in March of 2021. So that lasts until 2026, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. His compensation is last in the Big Ten.

Here are sobering facts.

The contract is in effect. I hear people saying they were looking for head coach experience. I understand. It's signed.

He gets his reasonable time to show what he can do. It's a contact. There could be a complaint that he didn't get his implied four years to show what he can do.

So the reality is that he gets his chance to show what he can build here. And I do like some of the building blocks next year and this.

He's only in year 2. It's not like he's been here for years and years without any tournament success.

Like I said, the contract is signed and nothing that can be done about that.

The fact he played for Minnesota, was a star high school player in Minnesota, had a record of being an assistant various college places, and then was an assistant at Minnesota gave him plenty of points to be considered for a coaching promotion. He did have lots of college coaching experience -- just not head coach.

Anyway, for the unhappy folks, the grim reality is that hand shake contract to give him a few years to try and build something.

If year 4 comes and nothing, then fire away.

I am pulling for shooters Carrington and Henley. Christie too!

I believe Coach Johnson received a 5 year deal in March of 2021. So that lasts until 2026, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. His compensation is last in the Big Ten.

Here are sobering facts.

The contract is in effect. I hear people saying they were looking for head coach experience. I understand. It's signed.

He gets his reasonable time to show what he can do. It's a contact. There could be a complaint that he didn't get his four year to show what he can do.

So the reality is that he gets his chance to show what he can build here.

He's only in year 2. It's not like he's been here stinking it up for years and years.

The fact he played for Minnesota, was a star high school player in Minnesota, had a record of being an assistant various college places, and then was an assistant at Minnesota gave him plenty of points to be considered for a coaching promotion. He did have lots of college coaching experience -- just not head coach.

Anyway, for the unhappy folks, the grim reality is that hand shake contract to give him a few years to try and build something.

Wingspan!

Here are sobering facts.

He gets his reasonable time to show what he can do. It's a contact. There could be a complaint that he didn't get his implied four years to show what he can do.

So the reality is that he gets his chance to show what he can build here. And I do like some of the building blocks next year and this.

He's only in year 2. It's not like he's been here for years and years without any tournament success.

We've gone from DENNIS EVANS, wingspans! the future is so bright you need shades to "sobering" "grim reality" nothing we can do in about a month. Wow.

Virginia and Wisconsin are not even close to being historically efficient offensively. They play extremely good pack line defenses and make teams use the shot clock while also controlling the pace offensively. They do not score at an incredibly higher rate per possession than other top teams. They just don’t turn the ball over.
UVA had a historically great ppp offense in '19. 1.23 is incredibly efficient.

I stopped and watched a little bit of the Nevada-New Mexico game on TV the other night; Steve Alford against Pitino. I found myself longing for the days of Pitino when it seemed like the team actually had an offensive scheme, a plan, and were doing a good job of executing it.

And this is coming from someone who was totally fine with moving on from Pitino, because I thought they were going to pursue a coach that was actually somewhat qualified for the job.
What offensive scheme did Pitino run. I will wait for your detailed breakdown.

What I note is that Pitino's team already peaked and they are moving toward the middle of the MW. Pitino is merely hoping House and Mashburn can create their own shot and their big guy can get some garbage put backs.

We've gone from DENNIS EVANS, wingspans! the future is so bright you need shades to "sobering" "grim reality" nothing we can do in about a month. Wow.

Yea, maybe I opened a can of worms here. Like poking a sleeping dog. I am just meeting people where they are at if they wanted an experienced head coach.

Anyway, a contract buyout in year 2 is simply not an option, is all I'm saying. I never said I was pessimistic.

I am not allowed to hype Evans further. I got called on that twice.

I am Gophers loyal to CBJ at least until the end of next season and probably 4. GO GOPHERS! DESTROY WISCONSIN AND MICHIGAN AND IOWA! MARK THE BIG TEN AS YOUR VICTORY BUFFET!

***DOMINATING DEFENSE AS THE FOUNDATION OF GOPHERS FUTURE!!!!!!!!***

Yes, I can see CBJ building a mean defense!

Others can disagree. That's one reason this discussion board is so interesting.

UVA had a historically great ppp offense in '19. 1.23 is incredibly efficient.
Agreed that team was dynamite and had lottery picks. Wisconsin group with Decker and Kaminsky were too. They still put defense first and it normally rates better than their O, which you obviously know as you’ve preached it on here for many years.

1. Clem Haskins
2. Dennis Evans
3. Wingspan
4. Steve Pikiell
5. Henley or Carrington turn into shooters
6. ??
7. ??

LOL.

Rocked by injuries #5.

For awhile I think CBJ's fate may hinge on getting effective shooters at guard and/or wing. I think most of us think that. I am not original. That looks iffy. Team has no slasher. Team has no reliable sniper at SG. No true Big Ten PG floor leader. I do like to watch Henley and Carrington (when he played) to sense improvement.

CBJ is still just in year 2.

Even keeled Friday up in here. We need the IA win or this place will be white hot. Naysayers have the fuel and hold the lighter. Come on Ben.

Everyone talks about the NFL. Don't agree that's a valid comparison.
Taking the Vikings out of the equation, they're a podcast network loosely affiliated with KSTP AM which no longer carries any sports except St. Thomas. They did talk about Gopher football when they were 4-0 and went full "Rose Bowl"! and then got petty and bitter as soon as they lost to Purdue. They've done the same thing to the Twins. It has nothing to do with what is on their station.

They claim it is because listeners don't care about the Gophers which I buy for basketball but not so much for football. But they still talked about every Wolves game, even when they stunk for years on end and Judd will always talk about the Wild no matter what. So it's a lot of personal bias as well.

What offensive scheme did Pitino run. I will wait for your detailed breakdown.

What I note is that Pitino's team already peaked and they are moving toward the middle of the MW. Pitino is merely hoping House and Mashburn can create their own shot and their big guy can get some garbage put backs.

Seriously. Over the course of Pitino's eight year tenure....offensive scheme was by far the biggest gripe from posters.

from Gopher Sports.com - June 10th, 2022:

The University of Minnesota and head men's basketball coach Ben Johnson have agreed to a contract extension that will keep him at the helm through 2027. The one-year extension became official today after being approved at the Board of Regents meeting.

Initial deal was five years. but, as you can see, a 1-year extension was added last summer.

BTW - of the known coaches' salaries, Johnson is 13th in the B1G. but the salary of the Penn State coach is not publicly available due to some state law that limits the release of information on state employees. so you can speculate that Johnson is last in the B1G, but we don't actually know that beyond a reasonable doubt.

LOL.

Rocked by injuries #5.

For awhile I think CBJ's fate may hinge on getting effective shooters at guard and/or wing. I think most of us think that. I am not original. That looks iffy. Team has no slasher. Team has no reliable sniper at SG. No true Big Ten PG floor leader. I do like to watch Henley and Carrington (when he played) to sense improvement.

CBJ is still just in year 2.
I will add to the list. Can't believe I missed it. Looking forward to #7.

Top Bottom