Ben Johnson is a Disaster

Agree it’s not effective until whomever is there shoots it at least once a game probably. Still like the action and off ball movement it creates.
Payne should be rolling to the basket after the screen looking for a pass which would then be followed by a dunk. Unfortunately the guard has a brain freeze and doesn't get the ball to where it needs to go.

Payne should be rolling to the basket after the screen looking for a pass which would then be followed by a dunk. Unfortunately the guard has a brain freeze and doesn't get the ball to where it needs to go.
Freshman stuff there. That’ll improve next year and hopefully more this year. I don’t think freshman’s skillsets get a ton better. The knowledge and adjustment to speed is where the change happens the most.

Freshman stuff there. That’ll improve next year and hopefully more this year. I don’t think freshman’s skillsets get a ton better. The knowledge and adjustment to speed is where the change happens the most.
That's the hope. Worth noting, though, that that schematic/execution problem was endemic to the whole Pitino tenure, and Ben worked for Pitino.

I think you might have misunderstood where I was going. Payne is rolling to the basket, many times that I have witnessed anyway, the guards aren't getting him the ball.

I think you might have misunderstood where I was going. Payne is rolling to the basket, many times that I have witnessed anyway, the guards aren't getting him the ball.
Agreed. Younger guards/forwards not getting him the ball. Payne not rolling to the correct place to get the ball. Adjustment to speed of the game is where younger guys grow.

Agreed. Younger guards/forwards not getting him the ball. Payne not rolling to the correct place to get the ball. Adjustment to speed of the game is where younger guys grow.
It's asking a lot of a young big like that to catch the ball on the move in a crowd 6-8 feet from the basket and then make the right play. I'd much rather see him in standard post ups where he can get the game to slow down.

So hard to see Craig Smith in Year 2, Dutcher dominating at SDSU, Gates big success at Mizzou.

I don’t know if Dutcher or Gates wanted this job, but this is just tough right now.

I don't know what is going to happen tomorrow let alone next year. Hell, I can't be certain of an hour from now.

If this, If that, If, If, If, If........I realize message boards are filled with people with anxiety disorders desperately trying to cope with uncertainty, but holy crap, this catastrophizing is impressive.
His real handle is Soft

So hard to see Craig Smith in Year 2, Dutcher dominating at SDSU, Gates big success at Mizzou.

I don’t know if Dutcher or Gates wanted this job, but this is just tough right now.
I’m confident you’ll survive this bout of Karenitis

I don't know what is going to happen tomorrow let alone next year. Hell, I can't be certain of an hour from now.

If this, If that, If, If, If, If........I realize message boards are filled with people with anxiety disorders desperately trying to cope with uncertainty, but holy crap, this catastrophizing is impressive.

As I've said....some people simply enjoy whining and complaining.

It's asking a lot of a young big like that to catch the ball on the move in a crowd 6-8 feet from the basket and then make the right play. I'd much rather see him in standard post ups where he can get the game to slow down.
I go back and forth. If this year is now lost I’d rather just keep doing it now and learning it, but had we been better I wouldn’t disagree. I think that’s what we saw at the start of the year more

Smith did for sure. Don’t know if he gets to bring who he brought with him to Utah to MN though.
I don’t know if Dutcher or Gates wanted this job, but this is just tough right
I think Dutcher might have come. I will throw some caution though. Hiring a guy from the best job at a lower conference to a guy with a bottom 1/3 job in the B1G isn’t a guarantee for success either. It’s why I liked Smith the most for the job.

Gates: reportedly no, but if Coyle didn't work him over a little, he didn't do his job.

Dutcher: reports and speculation varied, but I think he could've been had with the right package.

Smith and Medved would've bicycled here to take this job.

Right now I would characterize this thread as "We really wish we could complain about a Gophers coach with 6-8 wins in early Feb. instead of being stuck in our current situation"

6-8 B1G wins in early Feb in one season seems like a dream compared to 5 wins in the B1G in 2 seasons total. Yet some want to continue to defend this disaster.

Love this argument. Our guys will for sure get better, but no one else will and no one else will bring in talent so on 3 years we will dominate!

Clearly our FT, shooting, TO, and defense have gotten better....ohh wait

The guards are also not making their free throws or protecting the ball. Cardinal sin. 🙅🏽‍♂️

I go back and forth. If this year is now lost I’d rather just keep doing it now and learning it, but had we been better I wouldn’t disagree. I think that’s what we saw at the start of the year more
fair point

Love this argument. Our guys will for sure get better, but no one else will and no one else will bring in talent so on 3 years we will dominate!

Clearly our FT, shooting, TO, and defense have gotten better....ohh wait
This response has nothing to do with my comment. Was having an adult convo about our offense and why our guards aren’t hitting Payne on his rolls after a ball screen. . Calm down

You must not have watched the KU/OU game. A staple of the Bill Self offense. The young freshman big man Ernest Udeh rolls to the basket and ends up with 3-4 dunks in a matter of minutes.

And to Gopher84 I would ask, who is the young guard? Cooper or Samuels?

Can we call a spade a spade and just say terrible execution???

You must not have watched the KU/OU game. A staple of the Bill Self offense. The young freshman big man Ernest Udeh rolls to the basket and ends up with 3-4 dunks in a matter of minutes.
Kansas guards are better.
And to Gopher84 I would ask, who is the young guard? Cooper or Samuels?
Carrington, Henley, JOJ are among the ones that miss it. Samuels misses it for other reasons (being short).
Can we call a spade a spade and just say terrible execution???
When did I say it wasn’t bad? There are differing opinions on why it’s bad.

Top Bottom