Ben Johnson is a Disaster

Payne should not be shooting 3s. He can't even hit 40% from the stripe. HS is not college basketball.
FT shooting also isn’t shooting 3s. You also missed the point.
You know who also looked really good in HS basketball...Isaiah Dahlman. How was his MSU career?
This is irrelevant to my point, but Dahlmans MSU career was fine. He played quite a bit as a freshman, but then He got recruited over by some really good top 50 ranked guards. Had he chosen to transfer he could’ve played more at a majority of any B1G school.

FT shooting also isn’t shooting 3s. You also missed the point.

This is irrelevant to my point, but Dahlmans MSU career was fine. He played quite a bit as a freshman, but then He got recruited over by some really good top 50 ranked guards. Had he chosen to transfer he could’ve played more at a majority of any B1G school.
He maybe had one of the worst careers of any top 15 recruit in recent memory (barring a scandal).

Sound significantly improved. How come they didn't win more games?

Why don't you look rather than ask questions.

The significant improvement was his first year. They went from 7 to 15 wins. In year two they had the same amount of wins, but were better from an efficiency standpoint, and again that was a slight improvement.

The significant improvement was his first year. They went from 7 to 15 wins. In year two they had the same amount of wins, but were better from an efficiency standpoint, and again that was a slight improvement.
That's been explained to stocker like 400 times already in this thread. He just ignores it and continues along with his argument.

If everyone put him on ignore this thread would be better. But nope, somehow always has to respond to posters like that, naively thinking they'll change the person's mind.

There's not a single (reasonable) person who'd compare the Gophers to either of these programs in the past couple of decades. Just another example of you stretching.

Lmao. You're acting like either of these programs are top 25 programs the last two decades. Newsflash they arent. Missouri has been a below avg program the last decade. KSU finished below .500 in conference play with Weber who had been there a decade. These arent good programs. KSU is probably the 3rd worst job in that league.

It wouldn't be hard to name about 40-50 programs that have been more successful than KSU/Missouri the last decade. After that what's the point in arguing who's better, it's all shit.

That's been explained to stocker like 400 times already in this thread. He just ignores it and continues along with his argument.

If everyone put him on ignore this thread would be better. But nope, somehow always has to respond to posters like that, naively thinking they'll change the person's mind.

You're right. He is a dumbass. I should probably just stop engaging with him. Dude has no cred anyway.

As I've said before, I like Ben Johnson as a person. I hope he succeeds. But right now, it's very difficult for me to envision a scenario in which that happens.

for BFan, Stocker and the others who have been defending Johnson - I appreciate the sentiment. But you are fighting a battle that you cannot win. period.

the only thing that changes the situation is for the Gophers to win games - especially B1G games.

until they start winning games, BFan could post 10,000 word manifestos defending Johnson and no one is going to change their minds.

no one wants to hear about injuries, or about the next great recruiting classes. and for Gawd's sake, shut up with the Rutgers comparisons.

again, I like Johnson. but I have lost probably 85% of my hope during this season. the only thing that will restore that hope is winning games. Winning Games. Winning Games. Winning Games.

until the Gophers win some games, all of the words in the world are pointless.

But how come they didn't win more games in conference? You keep saying that they were better....but it didn't reflect in the win/loss column AT ALL.

Lmao. You're acting like either of these programs are top 25 programs the last two decades. Newsflash they arent. Missouri has been a below avg program the last decade. KSU finished below .500 in conference play with Weber who had been there a decade. These arent good programs. KSU is probably the 3rd worst job in that league.

It wouldn't be hard to name about 40-50 programs that have been more successful than KSU/Missouri the last decade. After that what's the point in arguing who's better, it's all shit.

So your opinion on whether Kansas State and Missouri have had better programs over the past couple of decades (it's undoubtedly yes) is 'these programs are bad....so who cares who's better'. But on the flip side of the coin.....when comparing Pikiell's first two last place finishing teams against Johnson's.....it's not 'who cares they were both shit'. Your opinion changes to 'Pikiell's last place shit was better and actually matters'.

Yeah....moving the goalposts to favor your bad argument.

You're right. He is a dumbass. I should probably just stop engaging with him. Dude has no cred anyway.

I knew that teenagers would start infiltrating GH eventually. But I guess I never knew how entitled they'd be. Instant gratification and low critical thinking. It's nice that Gopherhole attracts a lot of posters.....but the activity isn't worth some of these low quality shitposters.

As I've said before, I like Ben Johnson as a person. I hope he succeeds. But right now, it's very difficult for me to envision a scenario in which that happens.

for BFan, Stocker and the others who have been defending Johnson - I appreciate the sentiment. But you are fighting a battle that you cannot win. period.

the only thing that changes the situation is for the Gophers to win games - especially B1G games.

until they start winning games, BFan could post 10,000 word manifestos defending Johnson and no one is going to change their minds.

no one wants to hear about injuries, or about the next great recruiting classes. and for Gawd's sake, shut up with the Rutgers comparisons.

again, I like Johnson. but I have lost probably 85% of my hope during this season. the only thing that will restore that hope is winning games. Winning Games. Winning Games. Winning Games.

If Ben had a balanced roster, had used his scholarships, things had been going well and then had injuries happen, this would be a different discussion and the defenders would be right. It’s gone bad all year, the roster is haywire and the two guys who got injured before the season were PFs …Battle and Garcia’s position.

Saw the article about Ben Johnson and how he's coached and played on some bad teams. Makes you wonder if he really knows what it takes to win. Even his years at Xavier were not great. Best record was 19-13. (51-37 overall at Xavier 23-26 in Big East, with 6th as best finish) MN was 31-59 with him on Staff, NE was 15-18, Northern Iowa was the only program that was really good and they were 19-13 each of the last two years he was there after 51-14 the first two seasons. Interesting to really look at the programs he's been a part of.

Payne should not be shooting 3s. He can't even hit 40% from the stripe. HS is not college basketball.

You know who also looked really good in HS basketball...Isaiah Dahlman. How was his MSU career?
If you can't see Payne as an unbelievable athlete who's going to get a whole lot better, you'd be in a distinct minority among people around here who have been around basketball for a long time and who know the game. I'm not talking about this year, he has a lot of development ahead of him, and he'll get there.

If you can't see Payne as an unbelievable athlete who's going to get a whole lot better, you'd be in a distinct minority among people around here who have been around basketball for a long time and who know the game. I'm not talking about this year, he has a lot of development ahead of him, and he'll get there.
Also the fact of how much he’s continued to improve since he was a sophomore in high school.

Saw the article about Ben Johnson and how he's coached and played on some bad teams. Makes you wonder if he really knows what it takes to win. Even his years at Xavier were not great. Best record was 19-13. (51-37 overall at Xavier 23-26 in Big East, with 6th as best finish) MN was 31-59 with him on Staff, NE was 15-18, Northern Iowa was the only program that was really good and they were 19-13 each of the last two years he was there after 51-14 the first two seasons. Interesting to really look at the programs he's been a part of.

Thats mostly why people thought it was a stretch hiring him.

His years at X were by far the worst stretch of X basketball in decades.

State champ.

Agreed. When Ben was hired, most of us, including me, were not happy because it was a huge unnecessary gamble by Coyle and the U. I felt Ben had maybe a 30%/70% chance of succeeding here versus a proven coach like Craig Smith whose odds I would have put at the reverse of that. Last season didn't really do anything to change my perception positive or negative. Sure when we were 11-1, my optimism was higher, but by the end, the season was more or less what we expected.

This year has drained most of that 30%. He is not out-coaching anyone, even in non-conference games. There isn't noticeable improvement on offense or "tenacious" defense. Individual player development has only a couple minor bright spots such as Payne. The 30%/70% odds now sit around 5/95%. It's hard to want to wait 1-2 more years to see if your lottery ticket pays off when it only has a 5% chance of cashing in.

There's not a single (reasonable) person who'd compare the Gophers to either of these programs in the past couple of decades. Just another example of you stretching.
Seriously? Neither Mizzou or Kansas State have been great in recent years/decades. Why are they not a good comparison?

To me, Ben feels like the guy where if anybody else in the Big 10 hired him, I'd say "nice, don't have to worry about those guys with him there."

As a Gopher fan, I'm in the "Ben's got potential and can recruit" camp.

I don't love that spot, but Christie and Evans is a really nice class. Could throw Betts in that class as well. I'll continue to convince myself that he just needs time. Maybe one day that'll be right.

Maybe. He kinda got recruited over. Evans PT will almost certainly come from Payne's budget - put another way, it's not likely coming from Garcia's or Battle's.

Define a “whole lot better”.

Seriously? Neither Mizzou or Kansas State have been great in recent years/decades. Why are they not a good comparison?

Are you guys seriously too lazy to look up season by season results? Mizzou is certainly closer....but Kansas State has undeniably been a more successful program the past couple of decades.

Maybe. He kinda got recruited over. Evans PT will almost certainly come from Payne's budget - put another way, it's not likely coming from Garcia's or Battle's.
That's certainly possible. There may be some times in which they could play together, but Payne would have to show he can shoot it a little. And with injuries and foul trouble, I don't mind having two capable centers on the squad.

Define a “whole lot better”.
Well, I wouldn't want to give you specific stats, but the most glaring areas where he will improve are his ability to score and taking care of the ball. He can certainly rebound better than he has so far and defend, and these will improve with time. But I watched him play in high school and in the summer a few times, and the guy had a decent shot-not great, but not awful either. I think he can make 15 foot and closer jumpers and he can also put the ball on the floor and get by people.

He has a lot of quickness and a good first step, but I think he worries about turning it over and doesn't take a risk. He also has an unbelievable spin move which he rarely used. In other words, he has the talent to improve a huge amount. If you look at him, even though he's huge, he looks very young and hasn't "grown into" his body yet, even though he's 255 now. He'll be even bigger and stronger by next year. In other words (and it's hard to say until we see Evans play), he could be a 12 pt 8 rebound guy by next year. So there, I did give you stats, wasn't that kind of me to take a stab at it? By the way he passes it pretty well too for a big.

Top Bottom