Ben Johnson is a Disaster

The ship has sailed on Craig Smith, and Dennis Gates turned us down, but if guys like Medved and Dutcher were interested last time, they might be again. Plus, there are always good candidates out there if you can find them.

Better days are always ahead, but you have to take action. The Lord helps those who help themselves. Success doesn't just happen through hope and prayer. The Vikes just made a move on DC after one year. (Heck, they fired a HC after one year once.) It takes a big man to admit they made a mistake.

At this point, with the talent coming in next year, Coyle is in a tough spot. You almost have to ride this out and see how it goes with the new pieces. But if there's devastating roster turnover after this season, or if they don't make the NIT next year, you have to pull the plug.
what about Johnny Tauer 😏

Johnson has delivered the Dennis Evans grand slam recruiting.

His coaching will be judged on the outcome if the four freshmen this season -- things to come. We will see when they are juniors.

DENNIS EVANS!!!!!
Putting your eggs in one basket, Ok then. Good Luck with that.

Johnson has delivered the Dennis Evans grand slam recruiting.

His coaching will be judged on the outcome if the four freshmen this season -- things to come. We will see when they are juniors.

DENNIS EVANS!!!!!
The four freshmen this year are not good. Two are slightly above average (Payne and JOJ), but have sever limitations in only being able to score on dunks / layups. The other two are average at best with miles to go before being serviceable players.

If CBJ is being judged on them, he should fire who recruited them as they have poor evaluation skills. The gophers need to start emphasizing dribbling, speed, shooting, basketball IQ….it seems that these intangibles were all missed on the current freshmen.

Write a 2020 check for six figures and this team is top 25.

How did the new coach at ISU get three trained recruits to transfer in? Of course the coach looks good with alumni that write a check. Minnesota is not in that league everyone knows.

Minnesota has to get a payoff from the four freshmen and Evans. REALLY need a consistent shooting shooting guard or two to emerge.

what about Johnny Tauer 😏
Honest question, in a hypothetical scenario in which UST is slotted to be in the Big East in 5-10 years…isn’t the Big East a far superior basketball conference?

Why would he want to leave UST for the Gophers?

Big East:
87DCB729-0745-45C1-9273-64B32DACB65E.png

Honest question, in a hypothetical scenario in which UST is slotted to be in the Big East in 5-10 years…isn’t the Big East a far superior basketball conference?

Big East:
View attachment 23226
The Big East is not a superior conference, let alone a far superior one. The Big East hasn't ranked above the Big Ten in T-Rank (free version of KenPom) since 2018

Big East:
View attachment 23226
What is with this Crack pipe dream you keep posting about with the B1G East? Stop posting your UST fan fiction on the Gopher board no one gives a shit.

I know some people may be surprised and shocked that Jamison Battle who I really like transferred in from George Washington University. He is what he is.

Gophers will be good at defense and paint next season.

REALLY need good shooting to develop from freshman Carrington and/or freshman Henley at shooting guard, wing/guard because now they have nothing.

And good point guard play helps the whole team.

Gophers held Purdue to low points at the half and full game. 61 allowed only.
You do realize Purdue backed off quite a bit? Edy didnt play a ton of minutes last night.

And what has he done since? Nothing, because he wasn't a competent head coach.
TC is retired, seemed to be a good individual coordinator but indeed those who make the hires decided he wasn't HC material.

TC was fired about 2 weeks after 10 players were accused of sexual assault.
'Athletic director Mark Coyle said he made the decision to, “address challenges in recruiting, ticket sales and the culture of the program. We need strong leadership to take Gopher football to the next level and address these challenges.”'

If Coyle is making a similar assessment of CBJ, doesn't CBJ have 2 of the three reasons covered: okay recruiting and good culture?

The four freshmen this year are not good. Two are slightly above average (Payne and JOJ), but have sever limitations in only being able to score on dunks / layups. The other two are average at best with miles to go before being serviceable players.

If CBJ is being judged on them, he should fire who recruited them as they have poor evaluation skills. The gophers need to start emphasizing dribbling, speed, shooting, basketball IQ….it seems that these intangibles were all missed on the current freshmen.
yeah, none of our freshman have noticeably improved offensively. Payne and JOJ may have caught up to the speed of the game, but the other team doesn’t have to defend them outside of the paint so it doesn’t matter. Henley and carrington have looked awfully uncomfortable all year. I think they all have upsides but so far they are all net negatives on offense, which makes it tougher for battle and Garcia (who have their own issues).

Yes and Minnesota held Purdue to 31 in the first half. Elite Purdue has averaged 74.4 points per game.
Purdue didn’t have to play with urgency at any point in the game. I’m not surprised they had a lower point total given our historically low output.

Write a 2020 check for six figures and this team is top 25.

How did the new coach at ISU get three trained recruits to transfer in? Of course the coach looks good with alumni that write a check. Minnesota is not in that league everyone knows.

Minnesota has to get a payoff from the four freshmen and Evans. REALLY need a consistent shooting shooting guard or two to emerge.
So in this thread we have learned that Ben Johnson gets at least two seasons of Year Zero and the only coaches who haven't been horrible have cheated. And of course MN should not expect to be able to compete with Iowa State.

Wow.

Yes and Minnesota held Purdue to 31 in the first half. Elite Purdue has averaged 74.4 points per game.
This has to be a bit.

You will have a hard time finding me ripping the team after last night, we were thoroughly outgunned and it's beating a dead horse.

However, arguing we did anything to slow down or stop Purdue is now the craziest thing on this board. MNJay held that honor for about a week when he said the Illuminati was taking down the Gophers (seriously) but this post is stranger than anything MNJay has ever said.

Can somebody explain to me that while I understand Evans was a late-riser, is there an explanation why only a handful of teams were in on him? UCLA, USC, Arizona, etc weren’t involved?

If NIL is a thing, we’re not hearing some team with big pockets trying to offer him millions, yet he’s almost a top 10 recruit after the last ranking on Rivals?

I’m excited, but why isn’t he like the other top 20 guys

TC is retired, seemed to be a good individual coordinator but indeed those who make the hires decided he wasn't HC material.

TC was fired about 2 weeks after 10 players were accused of sexual assault.
'Athletic director Mark Coyle said he made the decision to, “address challenges in recruiting, ticket sales and the culture of the program. We need strong leadership to take Gopher football to the next level and address these challenges.”'

If Coyle is making a similar assessment of CBJ, doesn't CBJ have 2 of the three reasons covered: okay recruiting and good culture?

Which is exactly why the situation PJ inherited was far more difficult than what Ben inherited.

There doesn't seem to be culture issues at this point. Recruiting looks ok on paper, but on the court it doesn't look good at all so far. There is a drastic talent drop off compared to most other B1G teams.

Look at Braden Smith last night. He's a true freshman 3* recruit with no big offers other than Purdue and he did whatever he wanted against us. None of our freshman are even close to his or Loyer's level. It appears that MN's high school talent was vastly overrated last year.

So in this thread we have learned that Ben Johnson gets at least two seasons of Year Zero and the only coaches who haven't been horrible have cheated. And of course MN should not expect to be able to compete with Iowa State.

Wow.

Four freshmen this season and Evans, yes I am saying that.

ISU brought in 3 transfers in his first season to make a winning program his first year. Yes I am saying that. And no to those who say, wow, what great coaching. No, he brought in trained transfers in but people here talk smack about how he develops players.

Let's see what Johnson does with the four freshmen and Evans.

And stopnsaying ISU coach developed players that were 3 transfers in. How do teams get them?

ISU brought in 3 transfers in his first season to make a winning program his first year. Yes I am saying that. And no to those who say, wow, what great coaching. No, he brought in trained transfers in but people here talk smack about how he develops players.

And stopnsaying ISU coach developed players that were 3 transfers in. How do teams get them?

Ben brought in a bunch of transfers as well. Two of them on our current roster were supposed sought after transfers.

Payne might be something but otherwise the 4 freshmen are probably role player types. So we’d have to hope the 2 freshmen next year are studs and can get something done with Battle/Garcia, otherwise we’re hitting a bit of the reset button again and hoping 2-3 years down the road that the young group is something more than a bubble team.

Not sure how they get them. How did Ben get all those transfers last year or the couple he got this year. I'm not sure I have read anyone say that Otz/ISU "develops" players, I have read though that he can "coach" his players/team, as can Jerome Tang/KSU

Top Bottom