Ben Johnson is a Disaster

The problem isn't this years record, it's how far away we are from being competitive. Even if Evans and Christie live up to the billing, how much does that improve us? From 2-18 to 6-14? 7-13? Then what?
If Evans and Christie live up to their billing, then this is an objectively talented roster next year, especially when you consider that Garcia was a 5-star coming out of high school and Carrington is a Mr. Basketball. On paper, that roster should go to the NCAAs. If they don't, that's on the coaching staff for bringing in overrated players or coaching them down as a group.

Coyle is leaving in a year and this is gonna be job one for the next AD.
Where do you think he’s going, if I may ask?

I wouldn’t be opposed to Coyle going somewhere else. Never been that big on him. I hope Gabel bolts town more than anyone. God-send for the U if she leaves.

Last edited:

All these hot takes. Too funny. Little Ricky gets eight years and leaves a dumpster fire. Ben comes in to nothing and he gets a year and a couple months. PJ comes into a roster that has the core of his 2019 success already in place, ends 2017 with two historical shutout losses and gets a whole different response from GH. I guess Ben didn't get a year zero. 🤔

I keep having to say this. Its too eary to fire Ben.

But he 100% can get blame.

He didnt just build a crappy roster of horrendous portal usage. But it is inexplicably imbalanced. Like no logic whatsover to it. The roster is so forward heavy and lacks anything resembling guard play its impoassible to even know what the future plan is. Because basically we are going to need forwards to move on.

Its the equivalent of some novice doing fantasy football and not realizing he drafted 9 receivers and only 3 running backs with his whole team having byes over 3 weeks.

It doesnt take an experienced head coach to know that you have to have guard play to win in college basketball and most specifically a damn high major skilled PG. Just look at Nova. The easy answer is Jay Wright being gone. The more correct answer is for the first time in over a decade they literally dont have a PG.

They come back the next year and improve on that? Crazy isn't it?
So you are saying we should be satisfied if Ben is 19 and 61 after 4 years in the Big Ten because then we will get better in year 5? Yes that is crazy.

I keep having to say this. Its too eary to fire Ben.

But he 100% can get blame.

He didnt just build a crappy roster of horrendous portal usage. But it is inexplicably imbalanced. Like no logic whatsover to it. The roster is so forward heavy and lacks anything resembling guard play its impoassible to even know what the future plan is. Because basically we are going to need forwards to move on.

Its the equivalent of some novice doing fantasy football and not realizing he drafted 9 receivers and only 3 running backs with his whole team having byes over 3 weeks.

It doesnt take an experienced head coach to know that you have to have guard play to win in college basketball and most specifically a damn high major skilled PG. Just look at Nova. The easy answer is Jay Wright being gone. The more correct answer is for the first time in over a decade they literally dont have a PG.
Given the amount of time he hard to fill out the roster, you feel he could have done much better?

If Evans and Christie live up to their billing, then this is an objectively talented roster next year, especially when you consider that Garcia was a 5-star coming out of high school and Carrington is a Mr. Basketball. On paper, that roster should go to the NCAAs. If they don't, that's on the coaching staff for bringing in overrated players or coaching them down as a group.
We're more than 2 players away from contending for an NCAA birth. That's the problem. That should absolutely be the goal by year 3. But I guess we have to be thrilled with 7-13...

So you are saying we should be satisfied if Ben is 19 and 61 after 4 years in the Big Ten because then we will get better in year 5? Yes that is crazy.
We just might reach .500 in conference before St Thomas joins the Big East in 2027.

Given the amount of time he hard to fill out the roster, you feel he could have done much better?

Yes, look at all the first and 2nd year coaches at schools that filled through the portal.

Heck, I can give him a pass on year 1 since it was literally his first year on the job and he needed to establish some high school recruiting. But this year??? He brought in Cooper and Samuels. Thats BAD. Like one of those guys literally shouldnt even be playing at some of the mid majors we beat this year.

His only skilled get was a guy whose team literally became a champion contender the moment he packed his bags.

Look at all the power 6 standings and the teams at the top of them. Look at their guards. Its really that simple in college basketball.

We're more than 2 players away from contending for an NCAA birth. That's the problem. That should absolutely be the goal by year 3. But I guess we have to be thrilled with 7-13...
Greg Gard would take that roster, add one guard from the portal, and make the Field of 68.

What? He said next year. If they fire him after going 7-13 next year it would be dumb and won't happen anyways.

Yes, look at all the first and 2nd year coaches at schools that filled through the portal.

Heck, I can give him a pass on year 1 since it was literally his first year on the job and he needed to establish some high school recruiting. But this year??? He brought in Cooper and Samuels. Thats BAD. Like one of those guys literally shouldnt even be playing at some of the mid majors we beat this year.

His only skilled get was a guy whose team literally became a champion contender the moment he packed his bags.

Look at all the power 6 standings and the teams at the top of them. Look at their guards. Its really that simple in college basketball.
I'm completely comfortable saying this is a rebuilding season and see how the freshman gain valuable experience for next year.

I'm completely comfortable saying this is a rebuilding season and see how the freshman gain valuable experience for next year.

Thats fine.

Its still a really badly made roster.

That needs to sort itself out quickly to have any potential experience gained matter. Its not impossible. But right now there is not a noticeable vision/direction of the program. They run like no offense and good luck next year having Payne/Evans/Battle/Garcia/Fox/Ihnen/Ola Joseph all happy with PT. With most of those guys being unknown/unproven/flawed anyways

All these hot takes. Too funny. Little Ricky gets eight years and leaves a dumpster fire. Ben comes in to nothing and he gets a year and a couple months. PJ comes into a roster that has the core of his 2019 success already in place, ends 2017 with two historical shutout losses and gets a whole different response from GH. I guess Ben didn't get a year zero. 🤔
College basketball in now 2023 is a lot different. With the transfer portal year 2 is more like year 3 or 4 in pre portal times.

And basketball has a lot less players also.

Last edited:

He walked into a dumpster fire.
He constructed said dumpster fire 1 year rentals set year 2 up for disaster. Then year 2 he has no real guards, ant the one he thought he had he moves off ball (cooper) creating a depth issue which is now a major issue due to carrington injury (fox and ihnen are not guards so would not help). CBJ needed to play more madden franchise as a kid growing up to learn roster construction

Or Evans could be like Garcia? Garcia was a 5 star and he ain’t saving any of the 3 programs he’s been at (good, but not a savior)

He constructed said dumpster fire 1 year rentals set year 2 up for disaster. Then year 2 he has no real guards, ant the one he thought he had he moves off ball (cooper) creating a depth issue which is now a major issue due to carrington injury (fox and ihnen are not guards so would not help). CBJ needed to play more madden franchise as a kid growing up to learn roster construction
Your moniker explains a lot.

Top Bottom