Ben Johnson is a Disaster

Actually my original comment is that ya'll are just mad that you can't complain about 6-8 win-Ben instead of 1 win-Ben.

Your response: 6-8 wins sound dreamy to complain about. Not sure where we are disagreeing here.

Barring a repeat of this season next year, Ben will be here for a minimum of 2-4 more years If you are a season ticket holder and live and die by the Gophers - Ben is a disaster. If you are a fan and are ok having a down year or three and enjoy seeing the progression of the coach and recruits you might enjoy the season as you ponder the future possibilities. Enjoy or Get Rekt.

Ben can still pull this off.
A down year or three? This may end up being the worst year and the worst two-year stretch in program history. We've won two NCAA games in 25 years, and I don't believe we've finished ahead of our biggest rival in the conference standings in this century. Why shouldn't fans be grousing? The kind of apathy you're advocating is part of the reason for the losing.

A down year or three? This may end up being the worst year and the worst two-year stretch in program history. We've won two NCAA games in 25 years, and I don't believe we've finished ahead of our biggest rival in the conference standings in this century. Why shouldn't fans be grousing? The kind of apathy you're advocating is part of the reason for the losing.
What's really shocking is that even against the backdrop of 25 years with only two NCAA tourney wins, the last two years are sticking out as especially awful.

Still missing the point.

You have no control, Coyle does not care what you say on this website, the U board sits smugly -satisfied with their decision to hire an underqualified candidate and hope for the best, all your pain over Wisconsin and lack NCAA success is only heard by the people who upvote you here, Ben is still coach and will be for a long time, CPTMidnight could not generate another win no matter how many tears he shed on this website.

You have to admit this thread is getting kinda pathetic (and funny).

Still missing the point.

You have no control, Coyle does not care what you say on this website, the U board sits smugly -satisfied with their decision to hire an underqualified candidate and hope for the best, all your pain over Wisconsin and lack NCAA success is only heard by the people who upvote you here, Ben is still coach and will be for a long time, CPTMidnight could not generate another win no matter how many tears he shed on this website.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you don't think decisions are made partly based on public opinion, criticism, and anger, I have the wreckage of a spy balloon to sell you. You better believe the opinions of boosters and season ticket holders get the attention of the AD. Even if all we do is passive (canceling subscriptions), that's immense power. There's no athletic department without butts in seats at revenue sports.

Still missing the point.

He may be smug, but Coyle is not satisfied with 5-28. Come on.

He may be smug, but Coyle is not satisfied with 5-28. Come on.

Just be patient, we're 1-17 over our last 18 B1G games, with a good chance of being 1-24 over our last 25 by the end of the season.

Totally normal and a part of the process...:rolleyes:

Give me a fucking break

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you don't think decisions are made partly based on public opinion, criticism, and anger, I have the wreckage of a spy balloon to sell you. You better believe the opinions of boosters and season ticket holders get the attention of the AD. Even if all we do is passive (canceling subscriptions), that's immense power. There's no athletic department without butts in seats at revenue sports.
Likewise positive conversations, cutting a large booster check and organizing a NIL fund for all of us Gopherholers to entice players are helpful to get things done. If you have a way to effect change with real actions lets do it.

Am I missing the part of this thread where all this stuff gets done? Because all I see is the the pathetic side of it. The "woe, woe, woe are we - the fans that really wanted more wins this year while all you lame fans didn't care about wins and its all your fault"

Still missing the point.

If this team has another season remotely close to this one, your long time may be about 13 months from right now.

The worst 2-year stretch of Gopher Basketball history (in conference) is 1986-1988 at 6-30 (.166). If they manage to win 1 or fewer games the rest of the way, they'll beat that mark.

The worst 3-year stretch of Gopher Basketball history is 11-42 (.207) from 1985-1988. If they go winless the rest of this year, they would need to go 8-12 next year to beat that mark. What are the odds this happens? There has to be at least a 50% chance of this program not surpassing that .207 mark, and frankly it's probably higher.

It seems likely that CBJ will own the worst overall year of Gopher basketball, as well as the worst 2 year and 3 year stretch. And we're sitting here saying how he'll get 4 years regardless. You honestly can't make it up.

Likewise positive conversations, cutting a large booster check and organizing a NIL fund for all of us Gopherholers to entice players are helpful to get things done. If you have a way to effect change with real actions lets do it.

Am I missing the part of this thread where all this stuff gets done? Because all I see is the the pathetic side of it. The "woe, woe, woe are we - the fans that really wanted more wins this year while all you lame fans didn't care about wins and its all your fault"
I just finished my taxes, so I know how much I'm giving. At the end of the day, the people we hire to steward the program and out-compete the competition are either going to have my favor or not. Mine and everyone else's here is important.

The worst 2-year stretch of Gopher Basketball history (in conference) is 1986-1988 at 6-30 (.166). If they manage to win 1 or fewer games the rest of the way, they'll beat that mark.

The worst 3-year stretch of Gopher Basketball history is 11-42 (.207) from 1985-1988. If they go winless the rest of this year, they would need to go 8-12 next year to beat that mark. What are the odds this happens? There has to be at least a 50% chance of this program not surpassing that .207 mark, and frankly it's probably higher.

It seems likely that CBJ will own the worst overall year of Gopher basketball, as well as the worst 2 year and 3 year stretch. And we're sitting here saying how he'll get 4 years regardless. You honestly can't make it up.
Well, some of the people around the team havent been around winning college basketball.

TV money makes the seat revenue not matter as much. Public opinion certainly does matter.

Pretty hard to have positive conversations right now concerning the worst men's bball team in MN history. And the NIL part is already up and running and offered on this website. No one wants to give to a team that fits in the first sentence. So yes you've apparently missed that thread.

Who cares how bad they are in Year 2 of a total rebuild . All that matters is how good a BJ-coached team can be in 3-6 years. I think they will be good; maybe very good.
Yep. They could lose 20 more big ten games in a row and Ben would still be the coach.

Who cares how bad they are in Year 2 of a total rebuild . All that matters is how good a BJ-coached team can be in 3-6 years. I think they will be good; maybe very good.
6 years? Starting now?

Actually my original comment is that ya'll are just mad that you can't complain about 6-8 win-Ben instead of 1 win-Ben.

Your response: 6-8 wins sound dreamy to complain about. Not sure where we are disagreeing here.

Barring a repeat of this season next year, Ben will be here for a minimum of 2-4 more years If you are a season ticket holder and live and die by the Gophers - Ben is a disaster. If you are a fan and are ok having a down year or three and enjoy seeing the progression of the coach and recruits you might enjoy the season as you ponder the future possibilities. Enjoy or Get Rekt.

Ben can still pull this off.

You just wish that a Big 10 University with at least a somewhat recent level of moderate and occasional success wasn't in position to hope that a head coach, with no previous coaching experience, "can still pull it off."

How did it come to this?

And maybe Ben can turn this around in 5 years, but that still leaves me asking why in that hypothetical scenario, we had to choose someone that would make us wait that long? In today's transfer world, other coaches have been able to do it in 2 or even 1 year, why did we need to go with someone who needs to go with a "full rebuild" as some on here put it. In a world where successful schools and fanbases recognize the "rebuild" term is almost meaningless?

And maybe Ben can turn this around in 5 years, but that still leaves me asking why in that hypothetical scenario, we had to choose someone that would make us wait that long? In today's transfer world, other coaches have been able to do it in 2 or even 1 year, why did we need to go with someone who needs to go with a "full rebuild" as some on here put it. In a world where successful schools and fanbases recognize the "rebuild" term is almost meaningless?
Doing it right (mostly through recruiting talent and character) takes time. CBJ is a young guy and his inexperience is definitely contributing to some Ls, but five years is nothing if the end result is long-term success. They will be just fine if people are patient.

Doing it right (mostly through recruiting talent and character) takes time. CBJ is a young guy and his inexperience is definitely contributing to some Ls, but five years is nothing if the end result is long-term success. They will be just fine if people are patient.
The oldest trick in the book in debating something is to inverse the argument and see if it still holds water. Let's play:

"Recruiting non-talented players without character" means you can win games faster.

Nope; doesn't pass the sniff test. Your argument is officially debunked.

Another note, I don't understand the belief that if we just wait long enough it'll work out. You do realize that if Coach A is not good at the job day 1 that it's entirely likely that Coach A will still not be good at their job on day 2,000 (6 years from day 1)? Then you just pissed away 6 years on a hunch and not factual data. Did Pitino magically turn into a fabulous coach just because we gave him 8 years? Did he get markedly better as a coach in year 8 than year 1? I'll hang up and listen.

How come you think we could have consistent success dipping into the portal?

How come you define us as a successful basketball school?

Does moderate success mean we lose a tournament game once every 4 years like the Pitino era? Or once every other year like Tubby era? Does that mean we go .500 in conference in our good years and 6-8 in bad?

Top Bottom