Ben Johnson is a Disaster

Kansas guards are better.

Carrington, Henley, JOJ are among the ones that miss it. Samuels misses it for other reasons (being short).

When did I say it wasn’t bad? There are differing opinions on why it’s bad.
When did you say it was bad? Differing opinions = not coaching.

When did you say it was bad? Differing opinions = not coaching.
Go back and follow the thread. I said it wasn’t effective. You might learn something from guys who actually talk hoops vs whatever it is you try and contribute to this board.

Go back and follow the thread. I said it wasn’t effective. You might learn something from guys who actually talk hoops vs whatever it is you try and contribute to this board.
Right, you didnt say it was bad. You might try reading and understanding accuracy.

Right, you didnt say it was bad. You might try reading and understanding accuracy.
You’re spot on. Not effective is not exactly the same word as bad. They also can’t mean the same thing either... Thanks for enlightening me.

I am ok with Ben’s recruiting. I like: JOJ, Payne, Christie, Evans. I hate: no guards and his roster construction.

Outside of recruiting you have our offensive efficiency (ranked 297 - for reference UST is 84) and our defensive effort (ranked 127 - UST ranked 307). But another thing that worries me about Ben, and I credit a poster on the StarTribune, they are currently ranked #343 in point differential on the season…that is not good. We all know we played a cream puff non-conference and we still end up here…

Let me check to see who has been defending this as a great season. Will get back to you.
Nice job of inserting your own words there, to try and take away from his point. He called it a "disaster" and you used the word "great" - you just pulled it out of your azz.

Just because you don't like the content, or the poster, doesn't mean you have to have a reply. Oh wait, in this message board world it does. "If someone doesn't agree with me, I NEED to rebut their point, somehow, anyhow..."

Let me check to see who has been defending this as a great season. Will get back to you.

No one said that and now you're trying to deflect. There are still several posters trying to defend this as part of the process, or that we need to just be patient.

That's not true compared to nearly every other P6 coach who is currently in their first or second season. There isn't one metric you can point to that suggests this hasn't been a disaster nearly 2 years through the Ben Johnson era. They aren't just bad, and this isn't just growing pains, this is the worst 2 year stretch of Gopher basketball in history in nearly every way.

3/4 of this board knew this was a terrible hire from day 1. And yet I don't think even the naysayers thought we'd be 5-29 bad through Ben's first 34 B1G games.

No one said that and now you're trying to deflect. There are still several posters trying to defend this as part of the process, or that we need to just be patient.

That's not true compared to nearly every other P6 coach who is currently in their first or second season. There isn't one metric you can point to that suggests this hasn't been a disaster nearly 2 years through the Ben Johnson era. They aren't just bad, and this isn't just growing pains, this is the worst 2 year stretch of Gopher basketball in history in nearly every way.

3/4 of this board knew this was a terrible hire from day 1. And yet I don't think even the naysayers thought we'd be 5-29 bad through Ben's first 34 B1G games.
Actually my original comment is that ya'll are just mad that you can't complain about 6-8 win-Ben instead of 1 win-Ben.

Your response: 6-8 wins sound dreamy to complain about. Not sure where we are disagreeing here.

Barring a repeat of this season next year, Ben will be here for a minimum of 2-4 more years If you are a season ticket holder and live and die by the Gophers - Ben is a disaster. If you are a fan and are ok having a down year or three and enjoy seeing the progression of the coach and recruits you might enjoy the season as you ponder the future possibilities. Enjoy or Get Rekt.

Ben can still pull this off.

Nice job of inserting your own words there, to try and take away from his point. He called it a "disaster" and you used the word "great" - you just pulled it out of your azz.

Just because you don't like the content, or the poster, doesn't mean you have to have a reply. Oh wait, in this message board world it does. "If someone doesn't agree with me, I NEED to rebut their point, somehow, anyhow..."
Nobody disagrees on the year. This thread is a cesspool of self pity, negative jokes, and people taking out their aggression on those who wont jump on their sports pain train. (all aboard!)

I guess better here than taking it home to your family.

Is the future bright with Ben? I reserve my right to decide until after next season.

Actually my original comment is that ya'll are just mad that you can't complain about 6-8 win-Ben instead of 1 win-Ben.

Your response: 6-8 wins sound dreamy to complain about. Not sure where we are disagreeing here.

Barring a repeat of this season next year, Ben will be here for a minimum of 2-4 more years If you are a season ticket holder and live and die by the Gophers - Ben is a disaster. If you are a fan and are ok having a down year or three and enjoy seeing the progression of the coach and recruits you might enjoy the season as you ponder the future possibilities. Enjoy or Get Rekt.

Not saying he can’t pull it off. Just not seeing any discernible progress yet and the modern game doesn’t allow disasterous seasons three years in a row. The original realistic goal for many of us was competing for tournament berth in year 3. This year has been a step back and unless more than one newcomer blows away expectations next year, being close to a tournament is a dream and not a realistic expectation.

Not saying he can’t pull it off. Just not seeing any discernible progress yet and the modern game doesn’t allow disasterous seasons three years in a row. The original realistic goal for many of us was competing for tournament berth in year 3. This year has been a step back and unless more than one newcomer blows away expectations next year, being close to a tournament is a dream and not a realistic expectation.
All true. Next year is key for Ben. I think everyone here would probably agree that next year has a good chance to be a better year for him which will unlock years 4-5. Some give him year 4 no matter what happens - they may be right.

Last year the team felt like overachievers, this year, not so much. Next year things need to start coming together - they will. Still, it wont be enough for most and many will complain the entire year.

Don't shoot the messenger...

This thread is a cesspool of self pity, negative jokes, and people taking out their aggression on those who wont jump on their sports pain train. (all aboard!)

It takes two to tango! You CBJ lovers are just as responsible for this thread getting to 80+ pages. From your perspective, you think we want everyone on the "sports pain" train but from our perspective, the people on your side of the argument want everyone on the "bury head in sand and keep thinking things will be good eventually" train.

Is the future bright with Ben? I reserve my right to decide until after next season.

In the meantime, the rest of us will continue to discuss what is obvious, right in front of our eyes.

Next year things need to start coming together - they will. Still, it wont be enough for most and many will complain the entire year.

Regarding bolded: you're not being a messenger, your just making an optimistic guess out of your azz because you don't like the thought of it not working out for CBJ.

For CBJ backers, can you point to one stat or group of stats that show he is doing anything positive on the actual court. Not a recruit, not "effort", not 1 game. I mean an actual hey this stat (find one please!) shows a positive trend. I don't care if you have 13 freshman, there has to be something tangible you can say is improving, I don't know that there is. So this why many of us think he's a total failure thus far.

For CBJ backers, can you point to one stat or group of stats that show he is doing anything positive on the actual court. Not a recruit, not "effort", not 1 game. I mean an actual hey this stat (find one please!) shows a positive trend. I don't care if you have 13 freshman, there has to be something tangible you can say is improving, I don't know that there is. So this why many of us think he's a total failure thus far.
We’ve moved up over 50 spots on KenPom defensive rating and did it playing in the conference. Please don’t take this as me saying we are good defensively, but it shows growth.

I'm not necessarily a "CBJ backer" but our two returning players this year (Battle and Thompson) are both shooting a better free throw percentage from last year to now. Thompson has doubled his rebounds per game average. That's TWO stats trending positive.

Yes, this is in jest in some regards, but don't ask dumb questions if you don't want dumb responses.
The team is horrible and it is plain to see watching each game. Quit searching for verification that you're "right".

Regarding bolded: you're not being a messenger, your just making an optimistic guess out of your azz because you don't like the thought of it not working out for CBJ.
I am indifferent on Ben. Was not my first choice and I am along for the ride along with the rest you. Kinda-fun to hope he can pull it together. ...but mostly not-fun so far

I predict next year we will have more wins than this year which will lock him in for a couple more years. Sure its a guess. Its the future.

Definitely 4 more years.

All true. Next year is key for Ben. I think everyone here would probably agree that next year has a good chance to be a better year for him which will unlock years 4-5. Some give him year 4 no matter what happens - they may be right.

Last year the team felt like overachievers, this year, not so much. Next year things need to start coming together - they will. Still, it wont be enough for most and many will complain the entire year.

I don't shoot, not even basketballs very often anymore. Fair analysis all the way around. Short of scandal, I don't see them giving up on Ben before the end of four years. I have noted before, and will again, that the world is different now, and I fear the risk of easy transfer harms longer term rebuilds like Ben is trying to do. He has a major sell job with guys on the roster now that will be key in the great leap forward into real competitive basketball. I am trained to see the downside and the real downside is that key players with real options bolt, starting the process over. That depresses my confidence, and my ability to "enjoy the ride."

Nobody disagrees on the year. This thread is a cesspool of self pity, negative jokes, and people taking out their aggression on those who wont jump on their sports pain train. (all aboard!)

I guess better here than taking it home to your family.

Overwhelming confidence.

We’ve moved up over 50 spots on KenPom defensive rating and did it playing in the conference. Please don’t take this as me saying we are good defensively, but it shows growth.
What number are they now?

Top Bottom