Barker Transfering?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a High School Football Coach in Minnesota, I can without hesitation say that this will hurt Jerry Kill's recruiting future short term. This gives the program a black eye, regardless of where the truth really lies. I'm good friends with Barker's high school coach and spoke with him today. He's perplexed that the kid would make these type of statements in public. Anyway you look at it, it's a no win situation for either party.

Who flew off the handle and made it public? It wasn't Coach Kill.

If one has coached for any length of time, that coach has had a cancerous tumor on his/her team. When the cancer left, the wounds healed, and the kids that stayed made up for it by being a better "team".

Evidently A.J. Barker could not follow the motto of a Team Locker Room: "What you say here, What you see here, What you do Here, What you hear here, Let it STAY HERE When you Leave Here." (Unless outside of the law.)

This story was in the news for 2 days, it will be forgotten about completely after Thursday.

On the positive side, it looks like Barker is heeding someones advice, he hasn't tweeted in 2 days.

This story was in the news for 2 days, it will be forgotten about completely after Thursday.

On the positive side, it looks like Barker is heeding someones advice, he hasn't tweeted in 2 days.

Evidently, someone told him to STFU?

Dr.Don-let's be real here. Would Jerry really come out and say he treats his players like $hit to the media? Would any D-1 Coach do that? My point being, this gave Jerry and his staff a bad perception in the eyes of some. Minnesota High School Football Coaches for the most part a very tight group. If word gets around that their are some issues with Jerry and his staff, you can bet your bottom dollar they go from the High School Coach to the player and the player's parents. Make no mistake about it.

As a High School Football Coach in Minnesota, I can without hesitation say that this will hurt Jerry Kill's recruiting future short term. This gives the program a black eye, regardless of where the truth really lies. I'm good friends with Barker's high school coach and spoke with him today. He's perplexed that the kid would make these type of statements in public. Anyway you look at it, it's a no win situation for either party.

I also know a former coach of his that's not surprised this happened. AJ always knows best according to my source. As a hs coach you should know the type he appears to be (ice when I want; doesn't feel right etc)...the "I know BUT I like this", or "I know but I do it this way b/c it works for me and don't want to try your way", or the "why don't we do it like this b/c it's easier" etc.

After reading what's been read, I don't know of any hs coach that feels, what has become public knowledge, is a "black eye" for the program. Yes, I am a hs coach too.

Was this the same high school coach that told him he'd be a DIII player?

Is it weird that I pictured you exactly as you appear in your avatar (same pose and all), as your bride-to-be walks down the aisle towards you?

Congrats! And I really hope your honeymoon "in a few weeks" is referring to our bowl game...

He, undoubtedly, out-kicked his coverage.

Congrats GophersinIowa!

It might have a tiny impact on recruiting but the only thing the biggest things with recruiting are playing time and winning.

I really don't think many of the better coaches around the state respect what AJ Barker has done (whether or not his allegations are true). I think when you go to one of the power house schools, you learn right away that you're not special (you need to do things correctly), you learn right away that it's not your show, it's the program.

One of the main reasons why Cretin was the first of the private schools to get really good at football is that they were able to stomp out the parental favoritism from their program. It didn't exist (IMO). You could be a luteran kid from the South Side of Mpls or you could be a kid from Highland Park who went to Nativity, his entire family went to Cretin....when you showed up on the field the only thing that mattered was who could perform and who followed the rules. AJ Barker's letter read like a kid who had a parent who yelled at the coaches for not starting their son. I don't think amongst area coaches, even AJ's own coaches, Kill lost any points.

Congrats GophersInIowa! Was this the wedding toast by chance?

Dr.Don-let's be real here. Would Jerry really come out and say he treats his players like $hit to the media? Would any D-1 Coach do that? My point being, this gave Jerry and his staff a bad perception in the eyes of some. Minnesota High School Football Coaches for the most part a very tight group. If word gets around that their are some issues with Jerry and his staff, you can bet your bottom dollar they go from the High School Coach to the player and the player's parents. Make no mistake about it.
All this has turned into is a he said/he said. This will be judged in the court of public opinion. While I don't doubt that there are coaches who will side with Barker on this one, the early numbers are heavily slanted in favor of Kill. Tom Barnard, Bob Sansevere and Dan Barreiro are hardly "friends of the program". They all tend to believe Kill on this one.

A football coach yells at a football player. Shocking. In more shocking news, water is wet.

During his 1500 AM interview Barker openly admits he might have had similar behavior in high school. He gave a couple of examples why he might be an immature person. In my opinion players who create problems in team sports rarely make great leaders or help with team chemistry in the locker room. At first I was leaning towards the kid but now I am in coach Kill's corner 100%.

Which is why I think he either didn't really think this through and/or only cares about himself. Hurting the program hurts the players, his former teammates the most.

I haven't read all of this thread, can someone give me a 4,000 word synopsis on what Barker was thinking?

Is it weird that I pictured you exactly as you appear in your avatar (same pose and all), as your bride-to-be walks down the aisle towards you?

Congrats! And I really hope your honeymoon "in a few weeks" is referring to our bowl game...

Of course I was not wearing a shirt while giving a big thumbs up and yelling "hooooo!"

STrib: U football players react, vow no distraction after Barker's exit

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/180281931.html

Go Gophers!!

You don't have to be good at reading between the lines to tell that the players (at least the ones quoted in the article) are backing Kill. The more time that passes since Barker hit "send", the more clear it is to me that this won't be a negative for recruiting (not a positive either, of course), and the only big deal associated with this is the loss of a good receiver.

I think you will find that nearly 100% of college coaches in all sports refer to their players as "kids". You may also find that nearly 100% of parents and people over the age of 35 also refer to college students as "kids". This isn't a new development. I can assure you that when I was that age, I was a "kid."

This kid also insisted any meeting with Coach Kill would have to include his parents.

I think you will find that nearly 100% of college coaches in all sports refer to their players as "kids". You may also find that nearly 100% of parents and people over the age of 35 also refer to college students as "kids". This isn't a new development. I can assure you that when I was that age, I was a "kid."

This kid also insisted any meeting with Coach Kill would have to include his parents.

LOL. I'm talking about the "shame on his parents for not stopping this letter" part. My folks weren't allowed to have anything to do with my decisions when I was 21. Nor should they have been.

Orlando Sentinel columnist: Barker rant raises bigger question in college sports

From the column:

But it's hard to overlook the fact that Kill gets paid $1.7 million dollars to coach a mediocre Big Ten team, while Barker paid thousands of dollars to play for a mediocre team.

I hope the events leading to this messy, public breakup between Barker and Kill was an epic misunderstanding. I'd hate to think a hard-working, non-scholarship player is being berated — or worse, bullied — for being protective about his most valuable asset to any team — his health.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...-barker-letter-1121-20121121,0,3504367.column

Go Gophers!!

Orlando Sentinel columnist: Barker rant raises bigger question in college sports

From the column:

But it's hard to overlook the fact that Kill gets paid $1.7 million dollars to coach a mediocre Big Ten team, while Barker paid thousands of dollars to play for a mediocre team.

I hope the events leading to this messy, public breakup between Barker and Kill was an epic misunderstanding. I'd hate to think a hard-working, non-scholarship player is being berated — or worse, bullied — for being protective about his most valuable asset to any team — his health.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...-barker-letter-1121-20121121,0,3504367.column

Go Gophers!!

Awesome. Another outside, misinformed perspective of the situation. Thanks for weighing in.

Awesome. Another outside, misinformed perspective of the situation. Thanks for weighing in.

That is the problem with a situation like this. The people close to it see the bigger picture but from a National perspective it just looks like a player quit because the coach was treating him like dirt. No matter what it does not reflect well on the team, the school, or the coach even if locally most people seem to feel the coach did nothing wrong.

With the Wazzu situation and the one here, I'm just waiting for a Dana O'Neil article.

I do enjoy her writing though, but this has her name all over it. (Does she write about all sports?)

I respect your opinion but lighten up my man. Also stop trying to place me in boxes that don't fit. There is nothing in this thread that could have led you to "over protective parent"

Actually that is the problem with this thread; folks don't like AJ's comments so he becomes a cry
baby or mentally unstable. i guess it's easier to assign unwarranted labels as an effort to minimize someone's opinion versus actually considering if there is merit.

To answer your question? Yes I was privy to the conversation....how's my credibility now?

SO....you were privy to conversations that Kill and GT had where Kill stated he didn't give a sh#@ about Tinsley? Ahhhhh...you're credibility has dropped even lower (if that were possible).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom