Barker Transfering?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip Scoggins: Exacting coach, self-reliant player bound to disagree

Kill wanted to set a new tone and new standard for doing things, and he zeroed in on Kirksey.

"It was never a personal attack on me," he said. "I never thought anything that was said or done to any of the guys while I was there was a personal attack on anybody. There's a method to the madness."

Did he ever consider that method a form of abuse?

"No, not at all," Kirksey said. "Anything he said to me or any other guys, it was always a way to get guys to push themselves to be better than they were. I like to believe that he loves the program, he loves the guys. He's not the type of person that he's being accused of. I hate to see him being looked down on."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/180071341.html

Go Gophers!!

sounds about right. thanks for posting.

i don't get the kluwe comparisons in this thread. barker's public meltdown is much closer to royce white than anyone else.

Is it not ironic that Kluwe felt the need to tweet about this situation? Good ole Kluwe. Always has an opinion.

"If true (and my bet is it is), it shows neglect by the training staff that should get them fired and complete immaturity by Kill."

"Could AJ have approached it a different way? Sure, but everyone has a breaking point. I personally applaud him."

"Better not look too closely at the majority of college programs then."

Of course he sides with Barker. I wonder if he even knows's Kill's first name. The guy just talks and talks. Who knows if he actually knows anything. We need to start taking bets on the number of tweets each news piece gets from Kluwe.

How can anyone defend Barker any longer after this quote in a Star Trib article from an interview with KSTP today? It's evident this only about his own ego, and a need for public recognition through a scholarship.

"If he gives me a scholarship, it shows public support, and it shows that he says, 'Hey, I recognize that this kid is legitimate, that this season isn't a fluke,'" Barker said.

Also, Kirksey's perspective and described experience in the Scoggins piece carries a lot of credibility. He had every reason to be frustrated with Kill as a Brewster guy, and nothing to really gain by saying anything. He also describes a different perspective than that often shared on this site by a poster.

How can anyone defend Barker any longer after this quote in a Star Trib article from an interview with KSTP today? It's evident this only about his own ego, and a need for public recognition through a scholarship.

"If he gives me a scholarship, it shows public support, and it shows that he says, 'Hey, I recognize that this kid is legitimate, that this season isn't a fluke,'" Barker said.

Also, Kirksey's perspective and described experience in the Scoggins piece carries a lot of credibility. He had every reason to be frustrated with Kill as a Brewster guy, and nothing to really gain by saying anything. He also describes a different perspective than that often shared on this site by a poster.

Kirksey was on of the guys most visible shaken up after Coach Kill's seizure episode during the New Mexico State game. Coach Kill had only been his coach for a little while and it was easy to see how much Kirksey cared about him.

I'm sure Kluwe would approve of AJs freedom of speech.

What does Freedom of Speech have to do with anything? None of us think AJ should be thrown in jail for his asanine email. We all think AJ should have the freedom to express himself, however, with that freedom comes the freedom for us to judge what he has to say. That's how the Freedom of Speech works....he has the freedom to say it, we have the freedom to say he's an idiot for what he said/how he said it.

Kirksey was on of the guys most visible shaken up after Coach Kill's seizure episode during the New Mexico State game. Coach Kill had only been his coach for a little while and it was easy to see how much Kirksey cared about him.

Also goes to show the character of Kirksey vs. the character of AJ. I wish him the best.. but it's really hard to pull for Barker when he comes off as Craig James' kid v2.0

KARE 11: Athletes, coaches weigh in on Barker, Kill ordeal

"There is a unique communication that happens between player and coach," said former U of M football player and NFL veteran Ben Utecht. "As an athlete there is an expectation that the communication is not always easy."

Utecht admits he's had issues with coaches before, but says there's a proper way to respond."

"I've walked into coach's offices and had discussions before," he recalls. "We work it out and get on the same page. I've been told by football mentors not to take anything personal." Utecht recalls. "We work it out and get on the same page. I've been told by football mentors not to take anything personal."

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/998811/396/Athletes-coaches-weigh-in-on-Barker-Kill-ordeal

Go Gophers!!

Is it not ironic that Kluwe felt the need to tweet about this situation? Good ole Kluwe. Always has an opinion.

"If true (and my bet is it is), it shows neglect by the training staff that should get them fired and complete immaturity by Kill."

"Could AJ have approached it a different way? Sure, but everyone has a breaking point. I personally applaud him."

"Better not look too closely at the majority of college programs then."

Of course he sides with Barker. I wonder if he even knows's Kill's first name. The guy just talks and talks. Who knows if he actually knows anything. We need to start taking bets on the number of tweets each news piece gets from Kluwe.

Wow...

I'd love to hear someone who sides with Barker in this mess break it down for me what the staff did wrong? It seems like he get yelled at for "not icing" and missing some rehab and that brought about the ensuing hissy fit. To me, what I gathered from AJ's own words, was essentially that Coach Kill thought AJ could have been playing had he gone through the proper steps with the trainers. They also weren't 100% sure what they were dealing with until after Barker let them take an MRI. How is that bad?

Wow...

I'd love to hear someone who sides with Barker in this mess break it down for me what the staff did wrong? It seems like he get yelled at for "not icing" and missing some rehab and that brought about the ensuing hissy fit. To me, what I gathered from AJ's own words, was essentially that Coach Kill thought AJ could have been playing had he gone through the proper steps with the trainers. They also weren't 100% sure what they were dealing with until after Barker let them take an MRI. How is that bad?

Yep, the injury situation is all on Barker. Should have gotten the MRI. Instead he decided he was smarter than the doctors.

- Kluwe

You applaud him for breaking?

This story is clouding the most important issue. In a ten team league, as the league leader in points, I was on the brink of playoff elimination. Clinging onto a 4.44 point lead, with my opponent having the Bears defense to play, I escaped with a narrow margin of victory. My fantasy playoff hopes are still alive, and my team is primed to make a deep playoff run. Thank you Colin Kaepernick.

Barker and Team Injuries

I want to understand what the heck is going on with all the ankle and knee injuries on the Team in General? This iis way out of the norm to have so many lower body injuries on one team. Are the players properly stretching? what kind of in season conditioning are they doing? Sometimes continual hard conditioning during the Season can tear the body down and not allow it to recuperate. Are the players, especially linemen not picking up their feet enough while engaged in blocks, are the linemen being properly coached to be nimble on their feet, are players being asked to play before they are ready, what is the off-season conditioning?

These are the questions the Coaches and Training staff need to answer. If they don't re-examine what they are doing both on the field and in the training room they will be fielding a team by asking for volunteers in the Minnesota Daily. I am dead serious about this. This is not just bad luck! Barker's injury as well as all the other injuries on this Team is a symptom, the Disease runs deeper.

I want to understand what the heck is going on with all the ankle and knee injuries on the Team in General? This iis way out of the norm to have so many lower body injuries on one team. Are the players properly stretching? what kind of in season conditioning are they doing? Sometimes continual hard conditioning during the Season can tear the body down and not allow it to recuperate. Are the players, especially linemen not picking up their feet enough while engaged in blocks, are the linemen being properly coached to be nimble on their feet, are players being asked to play before they are ready, what is the off-season conditioning?

Imagine if we didn't have the best strength & conditioning coach in the country?

*Credit to whoever-the-hell it was that posted those words here a couple weeks back.*

This story is clouding the most important issue. In a ten team league, as the league leader in points, I was on the brink of playoff elimination. Clinging onto a 4.44 point lead, with my opponent having the Bears defense to play, I escaped with a narrow margin of victory. My fantasy playoff hopes are still alive, and my team is primed to make a deep playoff run. Thank you Colin Kaepernick.

Where the hell you been?

Imagine if we didn't have the best strength & conditioning coach in the country?

*Credit to whoever-the-hell it was that posted those words here a couple weeks back.*

Does anyone think it has to do with being outsized by our opponent there are a lot of freshmen/sophomores going against 5th year seniors? In all sports look at the # of ACL injuries happening.

Yep, the injury situation is all on Barker. Should have gotten the MRI. Instead he decided he was smarter than the doctors.

Barker thought he was smarter than everyone in this situation. He ended up looking like the biggest fool in the end.

This tweet from former Viking Ben Leber was RT by current Gophers QB Phillip Nelson

@nacholeber: Just read AJ Barker's letter to Coach Kill. Sorry bud, u lost me when u said u didnt always like to "ice" bc it stiffens up my ankle...WHAT?

Does anyone think it has to do with being outsized by our opponent there are a lot of freshmen/sophomores going against 5th year seniors? In all sports look at the # of ACL injuries happening.

There has never really been a doubt in my mind that the older, bigger, stronger, more athletic football players are generally the ones that deliver the pain and those that take it are more likely to get injured. Unfortunately, coaches can't really speak publicly about that, they can only play the best they have.

Obviously, this is not the case for all injuries and other possible factors should always be evaluated.

This tweet from former Viking Ben Leber was RT by current Gophers QB Phillip Nelson

@nacholeber: Just read AJ Barker's letter to Coach Kill. Sorry bud, u lost me when u said u didnt always like to "ice" bc it stiffens up my ankle...WHAT?

That's pretty funny that Nelson retweeted that considering Barker mentioned Nelson by name as feeling sorry for him or whatever it was that he said.

That's pretty funny that Nelson retweeted that considering Barker mentioned Nelson by name as feeling sorry for him or whatever it was that he said.

Obviously Nelson is trying to manipulate him.

Woke up this morning and saw that tweet and Nelson retweet it and just had to chuckle.

Tweet from former Gophers TE Jack Simmons: 1 pt on Barker story: Life's a critique business as is football and if you want success, you better learn how to take it

Go Gophers!!

These are the questions the Coaches and Training staff need to answer. If they don't re-examine what they are doing both on the field and in the training room they will be fielding a team by asking for volunteers in the Minnesota Daily. I am dead serious about this. This is not just bad luck! Barker's injury as well as all the other injuries on this Team is a symptom, the Disease runs deeper.

It's almost like they have the Minnesota Twins training staff handling their injuries.

First of all, when the boys are bitching about things inside the organization it doesn’t mean the organization is unhealthy—It means the boys give a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# about what’s going on. To do it over the internet and TV is_____ fill in the blank. I mean, the boy must have a huge pair to march into the coach’s and AD office to tell them……oh wait……he posted online. The only smoke I see in all of this is the injuries on this team. Someone needs to dig in and see if there’s a dumpster fire going on somewhere.

Second, when the boys stop bitching inside the organization it is a giant red flag—means they don’t care or have given up. By the way, it’s really easy to see this.

Third, kids will make mistakes. I make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. That’s how you learn the tough lessons in life. But there are consequences to your actions/decisions—welcome to the real world!

Fourth, break them down and build them up. Not sure what that means. Eliminate the word “I”, or “me” and replace it with “us” or “team” is a good starting point. Some kids will never get this, see above. Do you allow them to remain with you or do you put them on the road? As a leader, should you be fair and consistent? As a leader should you give up on kids right away?

Fifth, pop the titty out of their mouths. As leader, especially with type A’s, the boys will always be bucking around trying to see what they can get away with. Leave a grey area and they will find it. They can and will run you right over if you allow it. Push hard and have incredibly high goals and expectations. Mental toughness is everything. Don’t leave things up for “interpretation”. Spell out exactly what is expected along with any consequences if they are needed. They know the consequences so it’s on them not you.

Lastly, I raised my voice 2 times in the Marine Corps and yelled at or berated my boys in front of others. To this day, I regret those 2 times, I lost my cool, and I took the easy route. As the top leader in the organization, it has no place. You want the boys to keep their emotions in check during the game and not get called for stupid penalties, or make stupid “mental” mistakes? Out in the bars Saturday night getting into fights because emotions cannot be controlled. Then lead from the front and set the example.

It’s lonely at the top. You don’t really have any friends in the organization. It’s easy to be a leader, but it’s damn hard to be a good one.

Interesting perspective. Thanks for posting this and thanks for your service to the country.

A post from Shipley's blog in the PPress.

Alan Turner · Subscribe · Owner at Advantage Training & Fitness LLC
If you're on here ranting about how A.J. is right you've clearly never played sports past high school or you completely have no idea how athletics works as A whole.

I played for Kill from 03-07. Played wide receiver just like A.J., walked on just like A.J., earned A scholarship like A.J. wanted my sophomore year after proving to not only the coaches but my teammates as well...its clear to everyone INSIDE the program when someone deserves money, also just like A.J. I injures ny ankle BUT my senior year and it was A stress fracture AND missed NO GAMES. It was my choice to play not Kills. I then garnered chances in the NFL which I am very thankful for.

My point is I am very similar to A.J. in many ways, Kill gave me an opportunity. Tough ppl play this game, mentally tough. Coach Kill broke A.J., if you're in the military and your life is on the line the last thing you want is the guy that has your back next to you to be mentally weak and break. Same thing goes for sports. Any coach that she's what A.J. did will now see HIS true colors. What do you think a coach like Nick Saban, Les Miles, or Urban Meyer would be saying. Be real people. If you want the real facts on who a person is ask the people that fought for Kill over the years and helped him have a successful coaching career.

This is the crap that irks me to no end. This is college football. No one is jumping on grenades. If there was a requirement that everyone on the football team had to be in ROTC, it might be relevant.

There has never really been a doubt in my mind that the older, bigger, stronger, more athletic football players are generally the ones that deliver the pain and those that take it are more likely to get injured. Unfortunately, coaches can't really speak publicly about that, they can only play the best they have.

Obviously, this is not the case for all injuries and other possible factors should always be evaluated.

Excellent point. The younger, smaller players are much more likely to get dinged up.

Take a look at the defense; the Gophers defense, while still a "little" young, has been virtually injury-free in comparison to the offense. The offensive line is where this team is the youngest and most inexperienced by a LONG shot when compared to most BCS teams, and the O-Line is where they've been dinged up the most. I doubt it's just a coincidence.

Evan Boobie Williams ‏@EWill_Official

We live in a world where attention is more important than respect #smh

Think of the irony in Barker retweeting this. lol

#Mymom'sfriendtoldmetoabouthis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom