Barker Transfering?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unfortunately that didn't work because the lowly Gophers didn't even recruit him. By the sounds of Barker, the Gophers didn't even know who he was until he showed up at practice one day. :)

I didn't say he went there because the Gophers were going to recruit him. DeLaSalle has sent quite a few guys on to FCS programs and a few--like Alexander Robinson--on to FBS programs. It's about getting looked at, which will hopefully lead to offers. I don't know why he chose to walk on at the U.

AJ Barker ‏@A_Barker_82
I have no intentions of suing the school or anything of the sort. I didn't give the school an ultimatum. I removed myself from the situation

WHAT??? After reading Barker's scathing blog, he is the one who may need to lawyer up to defend himself!

AJ Barker ‏@A_Barker_82
I have no intentions of suing the school or anything of the sort. I didn't give the school an ultimatum. I removed myself from the situation

WHAT??? After reading Barker's scathing blog, he is the one who may need to lawyer up to defend himself!

The internet's advice to AJ:
Delete the Facebook (Twitter)
Lawyer Up
(Keep) Hit(ting) the gym

While I agree with you, we'll never know all of the answers. I think all Ogee was saying was that Kill thought AJ was a primadonna and didn't want to hand him too many things to keep his ego in check. I think that's a really plausible deduction. It's also different than saying, I want to leave the program.

Yup. Good call. I'm saying that it probably wasn't just in the last few weeks that Kill figured Barker was of the Silver Spoon sort and thought he was larger than life. I'm guessing over the last 2 months, since hearing after UNLV that there was no scholly THIS year, that Kill has been hearing rumblings and whispers about Barker being unhappy, whining about the scholly situation, not being listed as a starter, et al. I'd be surprised if Barker hadn't vented to other players about being unhappy, probably about a variety of issues.

Don't think for a minute that the scholly situation has a THING to do with $$$$. This is about a kid that has been told his whole life how good he is NOT getting what he felt was his due recognition from the coaching staff. I would guess repeatedly NOT getting listed as a starter on the depth chart absolutely BURNED somebody like Barker, who was on his way to "cementing his place in Gopher football history".

Side note: My private school comment had nothing to do with private school kids. Without knowing anything about Barker before reading his literary masterpiece, I made the assumption that he came from money, and later hearing he had gone to private schools appears to confirm that. I don't have an opinion on private school kids, don't know enough to venture an educated opinion, and don't really care.

Tom Powers: For Gophers, an embarrassing social media dust-up

Stay classy, Minnesota Gophers.

It's difficult to see the Bierman Building these days as it is obscured by dirty laundry on all four sides. Ex-Gopher A.J. Barker is making the rounds on local talk radio like a distraught reality-show star pleading his case after a messy divorce. I think Dr. Phil might be getting ready for an intervention.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/c...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Who would have ever thought we would see the day that 2 ESPN headlines are about Minnesota college football... One about Barker, one about St. Johns coach

This November 15th tweet from Barker says it all

"Word for the wise: "Don't play mind games with someone who has a stronger mind than you."

I am certain Coach Kill was not meaning anything derogatory by saying it, but thinking about his statement how he did not treat Barker any different then his two daughters is kinda funny...

@RandBall: Per a #gophers athletics spokesman, no further investigation planned re: A.J. Barker's allegations toward coach Jerry Kill.

Go Gophers!!

Agreed. This story is already running out of steam. The local media was frothing all over this, but AJ making these appearances basically squashed the story.
Come Saturday, this will be nearly forgotten.

Agreed. This story is already running out of steam. The local media was frothing all over this, but AJ making these appearances basically squashed the story.
Come Saturday, this will be nearly forgotten.

Since the announcers will more then likely make mention of it, I doubt it.

I am certain Coach Kill was not meaning anything derogatory by saying it, but thinking about his statement how he did not treat Barker any different then his two daughters is kinda funny...

Ha, never thought of it that way. Lol.

I keep hearing that Barker wants to transfer to another Big Ten School. How is he going to be able to do that without sitting out a year. NCAA rules allow him to transfer out without sitting; but with Big Ten rules, he will have to sit out a year. My compliance friends have said that same thing as well. Is there some change with the rules recently that is going allow him to transfer within the conference.

I keep hearing that Barker wants to transfer to another Big Ten School. How is he going to be able to do that without sitting out a year. NCAA rules allow him to transfer out without sitting; but with Big Ten rules, he will have to sit out a year. My compliance friends have said that same thing as well. Is there some change with the rules recently that is going allow him to transfer within the conference.

Since he was not on scholarship, he would not have to worry about sitting out. His problem will be who really would want him with all this drama?

Accurate or not, there are four things we can count on from every team recruiting against the Gophers from now on:

1. The Gophers coach is not healthy and will not be still coaching there by the time you graduate.

2. The Gophers coach will insist that you practice and play even when you are injured.

3. The Gophers coach will verbally abuse and belittle you in front of the entire team.

4. If you walk-on with the Gophers you might never receive a scholarship even if you are the best player at your position on the team and one of the best in the Big 10.

I wonder how this will affect the Gopher's No. 72 Rivals 2012 recruiting ranking for in 2013? No. 80? No. 90?

Accurate or not, there are four things we can count on from every team recruiting against the Gophers from now on:

I know you have an axe to grind, but this is nonsense. You might hear "If you're prone to tantrums, you mighty not get a scholarship to Minnesota". You might hear "If you decide to ignore the coaching staff and get acupuncture for your injuries, you might not get a scholarship."

Over 62,000 views of this train wreck! Now if all of those parties that are so interested in the program would like to go to the game on Saturday and show their support...

Just another diva wide receiver. We are not an AJ Barker away from the Rose Bowl next year...so who cares. I feel like there's been one aspect of the story that remains up in there air. He mentions the slur that was used against him AND his religious beliefs. This smells of a political statement, and I have no idea which way it hangs but it doesn't seem to match up. I could see the "F" word being used against a progressive Atheist-type by a very conservative Christian (and hateful/misguided...I don't mean to slur Christians). I assume AJ's political/religious beliefs were in exact opposition of the coaching staff and he is making a statement. There are whackos on both sides, and his statements are ambiguous so I don't know the truth but it wouldn't surprise me if AJ makes this clear in the coming days/weeks...whackos simply cannot help themselves.

But, speaking strictly from a Gopher's fan perspective, none of this will matter come 2014 so let's just relax. Barker IS a 'dime-a-dozen' and can be replaced. We're better off without his weak-mindedness. I wonder if this would have gotten the airplay if he was from East St. Louis and not Minnesota?

+1... WOW! And to think I always picked my favorite players based on how good I thought they were. I wish someone would have told me as a kid my favorite player should have been Dave Osborn instead of Chuck Foreman (yeah, regrettably I was a Viking fan at one time but cut me some slack as I was 9 y.o. at the time). Nothing against Dave Osborn or any other white, yellow, or other backs of color, I just thought Chuck was the man. Anyway, we don't want anyone, player or fan, who thinks that way.

Go Gophers!

This November 15th tweet from Barker says it all

"Word for the wise: "Don't play mind games with someone who has a stronger mind than you."

Word for AJ, quitting doesn't prove you have a strong mind, just the opposite.

Barker needs some sympathy!
If he would open up a dictionary, he would find it between "*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# and syphilis"- Major Pain

MV says Kill is "a screamer." I don't like that, though Nebraska seems to be doing fine with Pelini snarling and screaming. Stilll...you don't see much of that from Franklin or Shaw, both of whom would be huge "gets" for any school. Maybe Kill is feeling pressure here he didn't experience at N. Ill. Maybe not, but this is a bigger stage.

Who the hell are Franklin and Shaw? And do you honestly think that coaches don't scream?

MV says Kill is "a screamer." I don't like that, though Nebraska seems to be doing fine with Pelini snarling and screaming. Stilll...you don't see much of that from Franklin or Shaw, both of whom would be huge "gets" for any school. Maybe Kill is feeling pressure here he didn't experience at N. Ill. Maybe not, but this is a bigger stage.

What about Saban, Muschamp, Kelly, and many, many others? For every coach that doesn't scream and yell, I'll find you three that do.

Just another diva wide receiver. We are not an AJ Barker away from the Rose Bowl next year...so who cares. I feel like there's been one aspect of the story that remains up in there air. He mentions the slur that was used against him AND his religious beliefs. This smells of a political statement, and I have no idea which way it hangs but it doesn't seem to match up. I could see the "F" word being used against a progressive Atheist-type by a very conservative Christian (and hateful/misguided...I don't mean to slur Christians). I assume AJ's political/religious beliefs were in exact opposition of the coaching staff and he is making a statement. There are whackos on both sides, and his statements are ambiguous so I don't know the truth but it wouldn't surprise me if AJ makes this clear in the coming days/weeks...whackos simply cannot help themselves.

But, speaking strictly from a Gopher's fan perspective, none of this will matter come 2014 so let's just relax. Barker IS a 'dime-a-dozen' and can be replaced. We're better off without his weak-mindedness. I wonder if this would have gotten the airplay if he was from East St. Louis and not Minnesota?

I'm still waiting for the Reeves portion of this story to get attention. Everything to this point has been focused on Kill but from what I can see if any of this is true the only coaching staff member that may have really f'ed up is Reeves. As to Barker being a dime-a-dozen that may be true but he hasn't played in almost 3 1/2 weeks and he was still far and away our leading receiver so it is pretty clear he was not run of the mill as far as this team is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom