Barker Transfering?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
More will come of this story in the next few days. I will be following it closely. AJ should have just talked to Kill or route it up the chain of command. This isnt smart for AJ to go on the internet. The kid is young and I was there once and made bad decisions myself. I am sure he will regret this and move on with his life. The Gophers will be fine and we will move on also. Here is looking forward to MINNESOTA improving next year and getting more wins and to AJ success in his future.
Yup - the social media is all wrong for this situation. They should have worked it out one way or the other.

The right thing is for Kill to award the kid what he EARNED. If is not selfish to look after your own best interests 4 years into the game, especially if you believe the person responsible for taking care of you is playing games (which all of you admit happened). You can't believe that Jerry is withholding a scholarship for the long-term benefit of team from a player who earned it but it's wrong for the player who earned it to be upset?

I agree that it would be right for Kill to give Barker a scholarship. But have you ever heard of a coach awarding a player mid-season with a scholarship? Multiple times during the season, I actually thought about if and when Barker would be awarded a scholarship during the season, and I came to the conclusion that it would probably be best if he was awarded one at the end of the season. He couldn't have been awarded a scholarship until the next semester anyway, correct?

Opinion aside, I do appreciate all your comments, Sportsfan24.

I agree that it would be right for Kill to give Barker a scholarship. But have you ever heard of a coach awarding a player mid-season with a scholarship? Multiple times during the season, I actually thought about if and when Barker would be awarded a scholarship during the season, and I came to the conclusion that it would probably be best if he was awarded one at the end of the season. He couldn't have been awarded a scholarship until the next semester anyway, correct?

correct. of course most media types are purposely ignoring this important fact in coach kill's favor in order to keep from burying their over-the-top, hyperbole filled headlines and story lines.

Was Barker really offended by being called a "faggot"? It was so offensive that he did nothing about it for months? A college football player complaining about being called a "faggot"? Well, that's pretty gay.

The kid didn't want to get an MRI.

Why not?

Because if his ankle is messed up, he wouldn't get a scholarship.

So he tried to freestyle.

Bad move.

Anybody who's played college athletics knows that injury treatment is a serious team responsibility.

Congrats guys, this thread began at 3:55 pm yesterday and it is already the third-most viewed thread in the history of this version of Gopherhole. Right or wrong, Barker sure got the attention he desired.

As many here have noted, a win Saturday would quiet a lot of this down. 7-5 would look very good following two 3-9 seasons.

First of all, when the boys are bitching about things inside the organization it doesn’t mean the organization is unhealthy—It means the boys give a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# about what’s going on. To do it over the internet and TV is_____ fill in the blank. I mean, the boy must have a huge pair to march into the coach’s and AD office to tell them……oh wait……he posted online. The only smoke I see in all of this is the injuries on this team. Someone needs to dig in and see if there’s a dumpster fire going on somewhere.

Second, when the boys stop bitching inside the organization it is a giant red flag—means they don’t care or have given up. By the way, it’s really easy to see this.

Third, kids will make mistakes. I make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. That’s how you learn the tough lessons in life. But there are consequences to your actions/decisions—welcome to the real world!

Fourth, break them down and build them up. Not sure what that means. Eliminate the word “I”, or “me” and replace it with “us” or “team” is a good starting point. Some kids will never get this, see above. Do you allow them to remain with you or do you put them on the road? As a leader, should you be fair and consistent? As a leader should you give up on kids right away?

Fifth, pop the titty out of their mouths. As leader, especially with type A’s, the boys will always be bucking around trying to see what they can get away with. Leave a grey area and they will find it. They can and will run you right over if you allow it. Push hard and have incredibly high goals and expectations. Mental toughness is everything. Don’t leave things up for “interpretation”. Spell out exactly what is expected along with any consequences if they are needed. They know the consequences so it’s on them not you.

Lastly, I raised my voice 2 times in the Marine Corps and yelled at or berated my boys in front of others. To this day, I regret those 2 times, I lost my cool, and I took the easy route. As the top leader in the organization, it has no place. You want the boys to keep their emotions in check during the game and not get called for stupid penalties, or make stupid “mental” mistakes? Out in the bars Saturday night getting into fights because emotions cannot be controlled. Then lead from the front and set the example.

It’s lonely at the top. You don’t really have any friends in the organization. It’s easy to be a leader, but it’s damn hard to be a good one.

First of all, when the boys are bitching about things inside the organization it doesn’t mean the organization is unhealthy—It means the boys give a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# about what’s going on. To do it over the internet and TV is_____ fill in the blank. I mean, the boy must have a huge pair to march into the coach’s and AD office to tell them……oh wait……he posted online. The only smoke I see in all of this is the injuries on this team. Someone needs to dig in and see if there’s a dumpster fire going on somewhere.

Second, when the boys stop bitching inside the organization it is a giant red flag—means they don’t care or have given up. By the way, it’s really easy to see this.

Third, kids will make mistakes. I make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. That’s how you learn the tough lessons in life. But there are consequences to your actions/decisions—welcome to the real world!

Fourth, break them down and build them up. Not sure what that means. Eliminate the word “I”, or “me” and replace it with “us” or “team” is a good starting point. Some kids will never get this, see above. Do you allow them to remain with you or do you put them on the road? As a leader, should you be fair and consistent? As a leader should you give up on kids right away?

Fifth, pop the titty out of their mouths. As leader, especially with type A’s, the boys will always be bucking around trying to see what they can get away with. Leave a grey area and they will find it. They can and will run you right over if you allow it. Push hard and have incredibly high goals and expectations. Mental toughness is everything. Don’t leave things up for “interpretation”. Spell out exactly what is expected along with any consequences if they are needed. They know the consequences so it’s on them not you.

Lastly, I raised my voice 2 times in the Marine Corps and yelled at or berated my boys in front of others. To this day, I regret those 2 times, I lost my cool, and I took the easy route. As the top leader in the organization, it has no place. You want the boys to keep their emotions in check during the game and not get called for stupid penalties, or make stupid “mental” mistakes? Out in the bars Saturday night getting into fights because emotions cannot be controlled. Then lead from the front and set the example.

It’s lonely at the top. You don’t really have any friends in the organization. It’s easy to be a leader, but it’s damn hard to be a good one.

I would like to see Barker admit he really screwed up and then Kill take him back.

@goldengopherqb5: ATTN ALL: I have nothing to do with this situation so please dont ask me, I'm focused on the task at hand (MSU)! Thanks and carry on =)

A coaching change is very tough. Less public things like this happened with Mason's guys under Brewster, Wacker's guys under Mason, etc. The public method of handling the situation was poor at best. Not saying some of his comments aren't true, but to send that letter reduced his credibility a lot.

Congrats guys, this thread began at 3:55 pm yesterday and it is already the third-most viewed thread in the history of this version of Gopherhole. Right or wrong, Barker sure got the attention he desired.

What two threads have been viewed more?

What two threads have been viewed more?

oops -- wrong forum
Started by Rick Mons, 12-11-2009 12:52 PM

All Things New Gopher Uniforms/Helmets Thread: UPDATED 1/20 with New Uniforms!!!
Started by BleedGopher, 11-16-2011 07:39 PM

SHAME ON YOU! I've tried to ignore most of your posts as the rantings of an over-protective parent. I've tried to put myself in your shoes and ask myself if I wouldn't be as bitter as you appear to be if I had perceived my child to have been treated unfairly. However, now you've not only crossed the line, you've obliterated it. How the heck do you know how GT's death affected Kill? Were you privy to their conversations too? How do you know how
Kill felt about GT? At least in my book, you've lost all credibility. I supposed the episode on The
Journey showing Conner Cosgrove's battle with cancer and his relationship with Kill was just a PR
stunt? You should be ashamed of yourself.

I respect your opinion but lighten up my man. Also stop trying to place me in boxes that don't fit. There is nothing in this thread that could have led you to "over protective parent"

Actually that is the problem with this thread; folks don't like AJ's comments so he becomes a cry
baby or mentally unstable. i guess it's easier to assign unwarranted labels as an effort to minimize someone's opinion versus actually considering if there is merit.

To answer your question? Yes I was privy to the conversation....how's my credibility now?

A post from Shipley's blog in the PPress.

Alan Turner · Subscribe · Owner at Advantage Training & Fitness LLC
If you're on here ranting about how A.J. is right you've clearly never played sports past high school or you completely have no idea how athletics works as A whole.

I played for Kill from 03-07. Played wide receiver just like A.J., walked on just like A.J., earned A scholarship like A.J. wanted my sophomore year after proving to not only the coaches but my teammates as well...its clear to everyone INSIDE the program when someone deserves money, also just like A.J. I injures ny ankle BUT my senior year and it was A stress fracture AND missed NO GAMES. It was my choice to play not Kills. I then garnered chances in the NFL which I am very thankful for.

My point is I am very similar to A.J. in many ways, Kill gave me an opportunity. Tough ppl play this game, mentally tough. Coach Kill broke A.J., if you're in the military and your life is on the line the last thing you want is the guy that has your back next to you to be mentally weak and break. Same thing goes for sports. Any coach that she's what A.J. did will now see HIS true colors. What do you think a coach like Nick Saban, Les Miles, or Urban Meyer would be saying. Be real people. If you want the real facts on who a person is ask the people that fought for Kill over the years and helped him have a successful coaching career.

I respect your opinion but lighten up my man. Also stop trying to place me in boxes that don't fit. There is nothing in this thread that could have led you to "over protective parent"

Actually that is the problem with this thread; folks don't like AJ's comments so he becomes a cry
baby or mentally unstable. i guess it's easier to assign unwarranted labels as an effort to minimize someone's opinion versus actually considering if there is merit.

To answer your question? Yes I was privy to the conversation....how's my credibility now?

I think you're missing my point (as I've noted that AJ Barker appears mentally unstable).

My issue is not with the allegations, it's the way in which they've come about. I have no problem with someone in AJ's shoes quitting the team and detailing his reasons in a coherent manner. However, his email is manic. He might be right about Kill, I have absolutely no idea so I'm not going to attempt to guess about the nature of what went on between the two of them. I do know mental illness (worked in pharm for years and have some personal family issues). AJ Barker's email on his tumblr, even if 100% accurate, is bizarre behavior. If it was the MANNER in which your son quit a team spoke out against something, I think you'd be deeply troubled.

My issue with AJ isn't that he wanted to be a voice to speak up against maltreatment. In fact, I have no issue with AJ. I'm genuinely concerned about his mental status because those were the rantings of someone who isn't doing well.

On the other hand, if he isn't going through something mentally and he was telling the truth, a good portion of that email was really just whining.
-He was mad that he wasn't awarded a scholarship after 1 game this year? Really? He hadn't been healthy much throughout his time and after the UNLV game he had a career 5 receptions.
-He was mad that Kill called him nothing special? Well, yeah, coaches do that all the time. You know Scanlon as well as I do, he used to tell me when I was playing at CDH, you can't afford to not give 100% all the time, you're not an all american, you need to outwork people...
-His ankle? That seems to be his fault too. He refused to get an MRI....
-The bringing up his mom's friend....if he's not mentally unstable right now, that's a weird thing to bring up and it smells of being a petulant child.

Again, I am rooting for AJ Barker. I think he's just working through something mentally.

A post from Shipley's blog in the PPress.

Alan Turner · Subscribe · Owner at Advantage Training & Fitness LLC
If you're on here ranting about how A.J. is right you've clearly never played sports past high school or you completely have no idea how athletics works as A whole.

I would wager most of the ranters in this situation never even played in HS because "...the coach works me too hard."

This "AJ Barker to Transfer" is the most viewed thread in a 24-hour period.

A couple of thoughts:

In real life, I work in the media. I've covered HS and small college sports in MN, IA and WI - and also covered an NFL training camp (not the Vikes) for 4 years. So I have a lot of experience dealing with athletes and coaches. Someday I'll tell the story of how Mike Ditka cussed me out... but that's for another day.

Based on what I've read, my gut tells me that both sides share in the blame for this situation. Some players just don't respond to the "tough love" approach - and Barker appears to be one of those. So, you could, if you chose, criticize Kill for not finding a better way to reach a talented player.

But, having dealt with a lot of coaches over the years, I've learned that most coaches want things done a certain way, and a player who, deliberately or not, tries to go a different way is usually going to wind up in the doghouse. Football is the ultimate "team" game - and in my experience, if a FB coach thinks a player is expressing his individuality at the expense of the team, that player is going to hear about it.

If Barker was not following the instructions from the training staff, then that's on him, and I can easily see a coach becoming frustrated if the trainers tell him, "player X isn't doing what we told him to."

I don't want this to get too long, so I'll sum up with this: in my experience, the people who make the most noise usually have an axe to grind. And Barker is clearly making the most noise in this situation.
There may be some validity to what he said, but he chose the wrong forum to express himself, and the subsequent media tour has me wondering who the real "manipulator" is.

Those are for the NCAA rules, but the Big Ten rules that differently unless they have changed them.

@goldengopherqb5: ATTN ALL: I have nothing to do with this situation so please dont ask me, I'm focused on the task at hand (MSU)! Thanks and carry on =)
And herein lies my biggest problem with this whole debacle. I don't care about the who said what. Kill and Barker both look bad and now guys that have absolutely nothing to do with it, and don't want to be involved with it, have a cloud hanging over them thanks to Barker's ill-timed tirade.

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate your comments as well. You are correct he couldn't have received the scholarship until after the season. Based on what we have all read; my understanding is AJ wanted the scholarship prior to the start of the season but obviously was willing to play this season without it. At some point along the way AJ came to believe he was being played.

I think once coach has a team with only players he recruited things will be much smoother.

Sounds like he's had sessions with Kluewe the psychologists.

i don't get the kluwe comparisons in this thread. barker's public meltdown is much closer to royce white than anyone else.

MV says Kill is "a screamer." I don't like that, though Nebraska seems to be doing fine with Pelini snarling and screaming. Stilll...you don't see much of that from Franklin or Shaw, both of whom would be huge "gets" for any school. Maybe Kill is feeling pressure here he didn't experience at N. Ill. Maybe not, but this is a bigger stage.

THIS IS FOOTBALL...THE COACH IS SUPPOSED TO SCREAM AT YOU DUMB-AXE!

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate your comments as well. You are correct he couldn't have received the scholarship until after the season. Based on what we have all read; my understanding is AJ wanted the scholarship prior to the start of the season but obviously was willing to play this season without it. At some point along the way AJ came to believe he was being played.

I think once coach has a team with only players he recruited things will be much smoother.

What AJ came to believe and reality may not be the same thing.

Chip Scoggins: Exacting coach, self-reliant player bound to disagree

Kill wanted to set a new tone and new standard for doing things, and he zeroed in on Kirksey.

"It was never a personal attack on me," he said. "I never thought anything that was said or done to any of the guys while I was there was a personal attack on anybody. There's a method to the madness."

Did he ever consider that method a form of abuse?

"No, not at all," Kirksey said. "Anything he said to me or any other guys, it was always a way to get guys to push themselves to be better than they were. I like to believe that he loves the program, he loves the guys. He's not the type of person that he's being accused of. I hate to see him being looked down on."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/180071341.html

Go Gophers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom