Barker Transfering?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. My first thoughts when I dived into the Barker Manifesto is:

> Without any knowledge ahead of time, I figured this is a kid who comes from money (from the private school comments, apparently so)
> This is a kid who has faced little or NO adversity in his life
> This is what happens when parents tell their kids from birth that they are great and can do no wrong

A sense of entitlement reeks, you can smell it a mile away. Kill has known this about Barker likely from when he set foot on campus and this has been building. I would suspect that one reason he was not listed as a starter on the depth chart for most games is that Kill wanted to remind him that he's not as Holy as he thinks he is.

Glad to see Barker is making good use of WebMD. It's a valuable resource and it sounds like he used it to work his own self-diagnosis about the ankle. Awesome. When I tore my Achilles tendon last year, COMPLETE rupture, I limped around work for TEN DAYS after doing some research myself and diagnosing myself with just a Calf Strain. Ten days later, with no improvement, the wife made me go to the doctor.

Here's irony for you: Early in his Manifesto, Barker mentioned "a chance to cement his place in Gopher history". Safe to say, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! Nice work, captain.

More irony: If Barker REALLY wanted to cause a stir and "bring some things to light", a much more effective strategy would have been to leave quietly, with one or two very short, vague and open-ended comments about injuries and treatment, and walk away. The silence would have been deafening, people would have started to raise questions, dig deeper, it would have built slowly into an avalanche. The way he did it, he kills any questions the day it started by coming off as a complete whack job with no credibility whatsoever. Again, nice work.

Reusse says that Kill has a volatile personality and isn't the "country bumpkin he wants us to think he is."

Go Gophers!!

Reusse also says that if this was Brewster as coach that the fan reaction would not be as supportive of the coach as it is for Kill.

Go Gophers!!

Reusse says that Kill has a volatile personality and isn't the "country bumpkin he wants us to think he is."

Go Gophers!!

Reusse just looked in the mirror and saw himself. Good God Edith.

Hopefully Souhan has an interview with Barker today too. I don't want to see him get one-upped by Reusse.

Ruesse is taking Barker's side here. Interesting. He seems like the kind of guy that would not condone this type of behavior. I think he just likes to play devil's advocate.

I'm glad Zulgad had the day off. He would have dug in to Kill for one reason or another.

Reusse said coverage will be 95% to 5% favorable to Kill vs Barker. I guess we know who the 5% in support of Barker is Reusse... :rolleyes:

Tweet from former Gopher Lee Campbell: "All this about being a Brewster or Kill guy... Gimme a break! You are a gopher! Respect that and uphold the tradition or get out #Gophers"

Go Gophers!!

after reading every post i have to say that Bob Barker, grandfather of AJ Barker, cannot be happy (unfortunately, i will have to give credit to kfan for the Bob Barker claim) . . .

westcoastgopher11 said:
Reusse said coverage will be 95% to 5% favorable to Kill vs Barker. I guess we know who the 5% in support of Barker is Reusse... :rolleyes:

Percentage by weight?

I had forgotten who it was on here who always made that correction, ever since then whenever an announcer calls an end around a reverse or a reverse a double reverse I can't stand it.

Some narcissistic, pedantic jackwad.

(P.S. It was me. You're welcome.)

I hope that Barker is wrong. I want to defend Kill and assume that Barker is a spoiled rich kid, but some of what barker alleges is really troubling. Did the medical staff really mis-diagnose Barker's injury? If so that is not good for the home team. Did Kill tell Barker that he was a "dime a dozen"? I hope not because I can't see what that has to do with discipline or motivation. I hope that the coaching staff did not call Barker a "faggot" especially if, as someone posted here, Barker is gay. I love the Gophers and this is really sad.

I hope that Barker is wrong. I want to defend Kill and assume that Barker is a spoiled rich kid, but some of what barker alleges is really troubling. Did the medical staff really mis-diagnose Barker's injury? If so that is not good for the home team. Did Kill tell Barker that he was a "dime a dozen"? I hope not because I can't see what that has to do with discipline or motivation. I hope that the coaching staff did not call Barker a "faggot" especially if, as someone posted here, Barker is gay. I love the Gophers and this is really sad.

1. A coach telling a player they are a "dime a dozen" probably happens everywhere.
2. Barker was allegedly called a "faggot" for his spiritual beliefs. Not for being gay. Still not okay, but not the same. My question is, what spiritual beliefs does an atheist have?
3. The medical staff wanted to give Barker an MRI but Barker didn't want to for a fear of finding out what it really was a la Steve Jobs.

As I think about it, that's all Teague could really say. It will be more telling how Kill responds in coming days. Leach's response was pretty much the denial route.

It's doubtful that Barker is simply making all this stuff up. However that rant makes me think his view of the world is very possibly a bit distorted, perhaps even rising to the level of delusions of persecution. ...or maybe he's just a spoiled kid (but 4000 words?!?!?! I'd think the 'spoiled kid' would just take his ball and go home). Or maybe after many years of coaching and no other allegations like this, Kill and other coaches suddenly went off their rockers simultaneously and decided this one kid should be the target of their angst over the course of weeks and months (I'm doubtful on that one, there are usually patterns of this stuff).

Who knows? Gonna be bad and sad all the way 'round.

Reading between the lines it might be girl problems? These are some weird tweets this week

AJ Barker ‏@A_Barker_82
Well, its official. I am done playing football for the University of Minnesota and I will be looking to transfer next season for my final yr

AJ Barker ‏@A_Barker_82
The calm before the storm.

AJ Barker ‏@A_Barker_82
You're gonna hate him, then you'll want me, then you'll miss him, then you'll hate me....Girl I know you so well. Yeah I know your routine.

AJ Barker ‏@A_Barker_82
Word for the wise: Don't play mind games with someone who has a stronger mind than you.

AJ Barker ‏@A_Barker_82
You look really pathetic when you take advantage of people.

AJ Barker ‏@A_Barker_82
Anyone who says 'winning is the only thing that matters' needs to play more videogames or become a mathematician.I care who I beat/how I win

AJ Barker ‏@A_Barker_82
If we're fighting and you kick me when I'm down, more power to you....but don't kick me when I'm handcuffed. That'll come back to haunt you.

AJ Barker ‏@A_Barker_82
There are times when life forces you to either learn from a situation or become victim to it...Life's 10% what happens and 90% how you react

AJ Barker ‏@A_Barker_82
The Weeknd f*ckin' bangs!! #imonit #repeateverysong #getenlightened

AJ Barker ‏@A_Barker_82
She said when she takes me back I'll be in the dog house....Breaks my heart after everything I did for her. There will be brighter days.

AJ Barker ‏@A_Barker_82
Unlike you, I don't have anything to hide. I don't pretend to have any shame. #TheWeeknd

AJ Barker ‏@A_Barker_82
Im taking a stand and making it official..Im anti-serial daters...Ladies, we all know who you are. #StayHydrated

AJ Barker ‏@A_Barker_82
I miss her. Its driving me crazy.. All I think about is how im going to cherish every second with her when I get her back. I'll be her best.

How could someone's spiritual beliefs ever amount to them being a "faggot"? I mean, even if you were some backwoods gay-hating moron, I don't see how there could ever be a nexus between the word "faggot" and someone's spiritual beliefs.

Other than calling him a faggot, everything else that Barker alleges doesn't seem that bad. . .
-No matter how you come out on this, AJ is obviously a rather sensitive and has a tad of an ego. I think it's only natural for a coach to tell a kid "do you think you're special, you're not special". The "dime a dozen" comment means just that, you're not special, you need to work. I have absolutely ZERO problems with that comment.

-The ankle issue seems like it's AJ's. He refused an MRI. He gave a juvenile response about wanting to shut eyes and make it go away, but he refused an MRI. He missed training sessions for acupuncture, and it sounds like the trainers had issues with how he was rehabbing.

-As far as the scholarship....prior to this year, he DIDN'T earn a scholarship. He had two career catches, he was coming off major injuries (of which the staff doesn't seem to think he's rehabilitating correctly). . .he didn't deserve a scholarship. As far as guranteeing him a scholarship next semester, well, don't you think there is a chance that the staff thought "this kid has some issues with discipline, injuries, and taking care of those injuries. . .lets wait and see". All of the people yelling at Kill for not giving Baker a scholarship to start the year, I take it that all of you think Engel should be on scholarship next year? He's done way mre this year than Barker accomplished his first three years.

In summary, even if he had a point, he ruined that entire point with how and when he decided to bring those issues forward. I have no idea about some Kill/Brewster divide, but that's a common occurence at a lot of schools (Maryland, Washington State, etc.).

What is an athiest doing attending a private Catholic high school?

Well, there are multiple reasons. One could be that going to Catholic school is what made him an atheist (happened to me). I also believe he transferred to De La Salle, so it could have been something about getting playing time. Another reason could be the thought that private schools offer a better education than public schools.

EDIT:
Also, not everyone really has a choice in where they go to HS. Barker probably but did, but for the "atheist attending a private Catholic high school" situation in general, it more than likely is.

Wow. My first thoughts when I dived into the Barker Manifesto is:

> Without any knowledge ahead of time, I figured this is a kid who comes from money (from the private school comments, apparently so)
> This is a kid who has faced little or NO adversity in his life
> This is what happens when parents tell their kids from birth that they are great and can do no wrong

A sense of entitlement reeks, you can smell it a mile away. Kill has known this about Barker likely from when he set foot on campus and this has been building. I would suspect that one reason he was not listed as a starter on the depth chart for most games is that Kill wanted to remind him that he's not as Holy as he thinks he is.

Glad to see Barker is making good use of WebMD. It's a valuable resource and it sounds like he used it to work his own self-diagnosis about the ankle. Awesome. When I tore my Achilles tendon last year, COMPLETE rupture, I limped around work for TEN DAYS after doing some research myself and diagnosing myself with just a Calf Strain. Ten days later, with no improvement, the wife made me go to the doctor.

Here's irony for you: Early in his Manifesto, Barker mentioned "a chance to cement his place in Gopher history". Safe to say, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! Nice work, captain.

More irony: If Barker REALLY wanted to cause a stir and "bring some things to light", a much more effective strategy would have been to leave quietly, with one or two very short, vague and open-ended comments about injuries and treatment, and walk away. The silence would have been deafening, people would have started to raise questions, dig deeper, it would have built slowly into an avalanche. The way he did it, he kills any questions the day it started by coming off as a complete whack job with no credibility whatsoever. Again, nice work.

If that's true, why didn't Kill chase him off the first week he got here? Would have been easy. All he would have had to say is "You're not good enough to get a scholarship from my predecessor so you may as well head to St. Cloud State." I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think there's this great temptation to explain something that probably cannot be completely explained.

As for the private school question, a lot of folks take that route for a variety of reasons. A lot of the sectarian schools do have chapel/religion class/etc. but it's often not a doctrinaire course. He may have chosen DeLaSalle because it has become an athletic factory over the past couple of decades which would have ensured him getting attention from colleges.

LOL - Of course Reusse would take Barker's side! They are both cut from the same cloth. The big difference is that Reusse is a professional at doing it and Barker is way over his head. Maybe Reusse could mentor him.

If that's true, why didn't Kill chase him off the first week he got here? Would have been easy. All he would have had to say is "You're not good enough to get a scholarship from my predecessor so you may as well head to St. Cloud State." I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think there's this great temptation to explain something that probably cannot be completely explained.
Probably because he saw that Barker had actual talent and running off a state HS record holder might not be a good idea.

Well, there are multiple reasons. One could be that going to Catholic school is what made him an atheist (happened to me). I also believe he transferred to De La Salle, so it could have been something about getting playing time. Another reason could be the thought that private schools offer a better education than public schools.

Yep, I went to CDH and Catholic grade school. Almost all of my friend's from HS are Atheist/Agnostic. There is virtually no connection between being christian and attending a christian school.

While I agree with you, we'll never know all of the answers. I think all Ogee was saying was that Kill thought AJ was a primadonna and didn't want to hand him too many things to keep his ego in check. I think that's a really plausible deduction. It's also different than saying, I want to leave the program.

Probably because he saw that Barker had actual talent and running off a state HS record holder might not be a good idea.

I guess that's the point I was trying to make. Coaches will put up with a lot of crap if the guy can play.

How does the MN state HS record holder in receiveing yds get 0 offers from anyone? hmmm

I have nothing to say about this. It's just too bad for the kid. Freaking internet.

How does the MN state HS record holder in receiveing yds get 0 offers from anyone? hmmm

That doesn't seem odd to me. I saw Barker run track in high school. Very good athlete, but not an eye-popping kid. Very good long jumper for someone over 6 foot. Never saw him play football, so I can't help you there, but how would he have held up playing in a bigger conference?

As for the private school question, a lot of folks take that route for a variety of reasons. A lot of the sectarian schools do have chapel/religion class/etc. but it's often not a doctrinaire course. He may have chosen DeLaSalle because it has become an athletic factory over the past couple of decades which would have ensured him getting attention from colleges.

Unfortunately that didn't work because the lowly Gophers didn't even recruit him. By the sounds of Barker, the Gophers didn't even know who he was until he showed up at practice one day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom