Andy Katz: Flip DECLINES Gophers job offer

KU was put on probation the year after that National Championship and lost a scholarship or two and Williams still had them in the Final Four within four years. They didn't have a practice facility and Allen Fieldhouse wasn't what it is today. We won't get the Big 3, we might be lucky land 1 or 2, but there are young people out there that can still play at a high level and with good, solid coaching become great collegiate players.

per Amelia:

Report: Flip Saunders turns down Gophers' offer to be head coach

Saunders has become a fan favorite for the job, but from what I have been told, does not the profile that this administration was looking for.

I will say that I would be surprised if semantics got in the way of the hire. That's to say, either Saunders wanted the job -- and Teague wanted him -- or one of them didn't.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/200732051.html

Go Gophers!!

I believe the next coach for the Gophers will be Dwayne Stephens from Michigan State.

If they bring in a Vanilla7 assistant type and ask us to embrace him I will crash their press conference and boo out loud. They can play their shell game in the mountains of Virginia, but this is a major market.

We are not North Carolina's farm club.

No, you won't!

per Amelia:

Report: Flip Saunders turns down Gophers' offer to be head coach

Saunders has become a fan favorite for the job, but from what I have been told, does not the profile that this administration was looking for.

I will say that I would be surprised if semantics got in the way of the hire. That's to say, either Saunders wanted the job -- and Teague wanted him -- or one of them didn't.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/200732051.html

Go Gophers!!

Her last sentence looks to me to have been penned by Yogi Berra.

Exactly, and is he working for the U of M or is he working in his own interests and the interests of Villa 7?

That's my concern as well. I hope Teague/Ellis didn't blow up this opportunity just because they wanted to use their precious little Villa 7 program.

Flip has his eyes on the Wolves GM and or Ownership gig. Not that big of a shock. Just like Shaka and Freddy were never a realistic option.

He always says that he wants to coach. He had all the ability in the world to avoid this situation if what you say is true. But he didn't. He wanted the job and maybe still wants it.

He always says that he wants to coach. He had all the ability in the world to avoid this situation if what you say is true. But he didn't. He wanted the job and maybe still wants it.

If Flip didn't want the job he would have made it clear awhile ago that he didn't want the job. He could have simply said that he's an NBA guy and isn't interested in coaching in college. This situation doesn't help anyone.

Flip definitely had an offer. If you don't believe that, fine. But if you do, why would he decline? He seemed to want the job pretty badly. Sometimes where there is smoke, there's fire.

Hopefully this is just posturing, but I think there is a little reason to panic. Hopefully, we didn't insult Flip where there is no way he says yes now.

This was calculated...both parties can move on. Teague never wanted Flip. I didn't either.

You because you're hoping for a better fit for the program. Teague because it's more important to him to solidify the reputation and success of Villa 7 than get a successful Head Coach for the U.

This was calculated...both parties can move on. Teague never wanted Flip. I didn't either.

You, and a few others, could be right that it was calculated and only a PR move... I typed sarcastically.

But wouldn't it make more sense for Flip to just say that he's not interested? That way you don't create the perception that even Flip doesn't want the job. The more logical explanation is that Teague didn't want to make a hire without his Villa 7 playing a part.

@MedcalfByESPN Flip Saunders doesn’t want the Minnesota job. That’s all you need to know about the Minnesota job. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Someone needs to tweet Myron back and say, UCLA hires Steve Alford. That’s all you need to know about the UCLA job

banana-dance.gif

Even Tubby must not be looking too bad to some of you Tubby bashers now!!

Top Bottom