Andy Katz: Flip DECLINES Gophers job offer

per Katz:

Source: Minnesota offered the job to ESPN analyst/former NBA coach Flip Saunders but he has declined the offer from his alma mater.

Go Gophers!!

Source: I declined the first two offers from the company who currently employs me.

When I did it, it was called negotiating.

Well he's not looking real good at PR 101 right now. This could have and should ahve been worked out ahead of time. Flip is a donor and a big friend of the U. If this came down this way it's going to tick a whole lot of people off.

I agree, this search has nearly jumped the shark.

Tweets from Barreiro:

"Contacted moments ago, Flip Saunders' only comment: "I'll always bleed maroon and gold, will help program any way I can...."

""...I enjoy my NBA analyst job at ESPN." No reason to believe non-direct answer means deal still might get done"

Go Gophers!!

Well, this search has turned so Minnesotan.

Tier One: Stevens and Shaka. Swing and a miss.

Tier Two: Lorenzo Romar, Tim Miles, Kevin Stallings, Tony Bennett, Jay Wright, JTIII, maybe Hoiberg if he floats your boat. Not sure how many of this tier were contacted, but not happening. Strike 2.

Tier Three: Flip. Strike 3.

Tier Four: Anthony Grant, Tad Boyle, Mark Fox. Who knows.

Tier Five: Andy Enfield, et al. Puke.

Source: I declined the first two offers from the company who currently employs me.

That's my continued hope. You have a highly talented guy who wants the job. Work out the terms!

Well he's not looking real good at PR 101 right now. This could have and should ahve been worked out ahead of time. Flip is a donor and a big friend of the U. If this came down this way it's going to tick a whole lot of people off.

Do you think the fact that this news came out on a Saturday is meaningful?

The more and more I think about it, there are literally 2 possibilities to what is and has happened.

1. Either they have a verbal agreement from a coach/assistant who is still in the tournament and NT/ME are smoke screening it making look like they are hard at work when they have this wrapped up.

2. They swung and missed on Shaka (their number 1 target?) and are really in a cluster F*ck of a situation.

My money is on the first scenario but perhaps NT and ME are out thinking themselves.

I think its time for everybody to take a deep breath. Given that NT isn't saying much you really don't know how many of these rumors are true. If we have to take a week to make the most important hire of the NT era I say folks should relax a little.

Call me donny if i'm out of my element for not reading the entire thread, that being said I wonder if this isn't a power play from NT to atleast say he talked to Flip. By route of him and Flip not really agreeing he will get the local flip fanclub to think he tried. (all speculation no secret source)

Man, you pro-Flip guys need to chill the F out. We are going to get a solid coach. Flip was not a sure thing, aside from helping raise money he was pretty high risk. Maybe we can make a run at Enfield now. I for one wouldn't mind watching his fast pace aggressive style of play in the Barn. There are still a lot of quality coaches out there that would love to have our job, especially now that UCLA is filled. We are the best major conference opening in the entire country right now.

My only point is we have heard zilch from the athletic department. It is all media. And who knows if the rumors are even legit or were planted?

All I know is these guys specialize in basketball coaching hires. It is their best quality. Their expertise. I trust them.

How many basketball coaches has Teague himself actually hired?

Man, you pro-Flip guys need to chill the F out. We are going to get a solid coach. Flip was not a sure thing, aside from helping raise money he was pretty high risk. Maybe we can make a run at Enfield now. I for one wouldn't mind watching his fast pace aggressive style of play in the Barn. There are still a lot of quality coaches out there that would love to have our job, especially now that UCLA is filled. We are the best major conference opening in the entire country right now.
I think the concern has to be how little clout being in the best conference in the country has right now. We are truly in college basketball bizzaro world.

No matter how this turned out, they still turned the sausage making into a cluster $%^% just like the Kill hire. This on the heels of the NC debacle. Meet the new AD, same as the old AD. Disgusting.

If they bring in a Vanilla7 assistant type and ask us to embrace him I will crash their press conference and boo out loud. They can play their shell game in the mountains of Virginia, but this is a major market.

We are not North Carolina's farm club.

If this flip news is true and we aren't still negotiating with him I would either turn to one of the two Michigan State assistants or take a shot with Grant. I'm not on the Enfield bandwagon I'd go ahead and let USC take him.

@MedcalfByESPN Flip Saunders doesn’t want the Minnesota job. That’s all you need to know about the Minnesota job. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

It's a deal breaker for anyone that has the chops to do the job. Think you would tell Buzz Williams that his staff would get picked for him? NT is a complete fool IF this is really what happened.

I'm going with the idea that rational heads can prevail.

So you are good with the idea that Teague does it the Teague way to establish Teague street cred and genious instead looking at what is best for the situation regardless of Villa 7?

If he wanted to do a charade with Saunders he should have done it day one -not a week in. Embarrassing for all parties if true. I hope this is more mis-information or just a first round in negotiations.

There is no way in hell the ad said he was going to pick the assistants. Pure Bee Ess.

If they bring in a Vanilla7 assistant type and ask us to embrace him I will crash they press conference and boo out loud. They can play their shell game in the mountains of Virginia, but this is a major market.

We are not North Carolina's farm club.

And you will go to jail.

Yeah I guess Medcalf is a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. You can source me if you like.

Top Bottom