Andy Katz: Flip DECLINES Gophers job offer

@MedcalfByESPN Flip Saunders doesn’t want the Minnesota job. That’s all you need to know about the Minnesota job. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Flip had the chance yesterday to say he was not interested in the job on KFAN. He didn't.

I think this is all bs

Shucks! Now I don't get to drink Dr. Don's miracle elixir or do my back flips for Flip.

Well, this search has turned so Minnesotan.

Tier One: Stevens and Shaka. Swing and a miss.

Tier Two: Lorenzo Romar, Tim Miles, Kevin Stallings, Tony Bennett, Jay Wright, JTIII, maybe Hoiberg if he floats your boat. Not sure how many of this tier were contacted, but not happening. Strike 2.

Tier Three: Flip. Strike 3.

Tier Four: Anthony Grant, Tad Boyle, Mark Fox. Who knows.

Tier Five: Andy Enfield, et al. Puke.

I'm calling bs on this panic driven pile of rodent-flop. We don't KNOW anything. Media sources are nothing more than loud noises in this case. And GH speculation is worse. Plenty of time to break out the cyanide capsules if the actual selection is horrible. That's all that matters anyway, not who we don't have. I get the concern and it may be valid, but still too early for negative absolutes.

Flip had the chance yesterday to say he was not interested in the job on KFAN. He didn't.

I think this is all bs
I agree, Flip turning us down isn't because it's a bad job, it's about a longtime coach and an AD both wanting control.

It's a deal breaker for anyone that has the chops to do the job. Think you would tell Buzz Williams that his staff would get picked for him? NT is a complete fool IF this is really what happened.

Well, no, Buzz knows how to run a college basketball program.

Nate Sandell ‏@NSandell 5m
I didn't think Saunders was the right fit, but having him turn down the offer is an ugly blow to Teague and the search. #Gophers
Expand
Jake D ‏@MinnySnowta 2m
@NSandell Maybe it was just semantics on NT's part to keep the boosters happy/smokescreen. Theory of coach/assistant still in tourney ...
Expand
Nate Sandell ‏@NSandell 1m
@MinnySnowta I think that is exactly what it was. It looks bad on the surface, but I know with certainty Teague is not in panic mode.

@MedcalfByESPN Flip Saunders doesn’t want the Minnesota job. That’s all you need to know about the Minnesota job. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

The Medcalf tweet is in about the same league as the Tim Brando Tweets, C league sports personalities that relatively few give any credence to.

Go Gophers!!

No wonder ESPN is in the toilet. Instead of hiring actual journalist, they hire people who behave like a-holes.

Good Lord, this is what it has come to, I'm debating the validity of tweets. Oh for the good old days when you found out about a hire by reading the newspaper the next day.

Go Gophers!!
Wow, that's a big 180 from Flip. He must have changed his mind completely after listening to NT.

I agree, Flip turning us down isn't because it's a bad job, it's about a longtime coach and an AD both wanting control.

And if such speculation turns out to be true, we have an athletic department run by pinhead control freaks. Let's wait and see. Hoping you're wrong, but if not there won't be much joy in Gopherville.

I'm calling B.S. We don't even know if the U wanted Flip. We don't even know if he can recruit. I am not disappoint. As you may know a coach can sign a 10 year extension and jump ship to another team 10 days later. This is not over. Calm down.

Good Lord, this is what it has come to, I'm debating the validity of tweets. Oh for the good old days when you found out about a hire by reading the newspaper the next day.

Dan Barreiro ‏@DanBarreiroKFAN 20s
@S_LYNGSTAD it 100 percent was offered. You can book that

Barriero isn't going to make that up after talking with Flip...Myron isn't worth listening to, guy knows nothing.

Man, you pro-Flip guys need to chill the F out. We are going to get a solid coach. Flip was not a sure thing, aside from helping raise money he was pretty high risk. Maybe we can make a run at Enfield now. I for one wouldn't mind watching his fast pace aggressive style of play in the Barn. There are still a lot of quality coaches out there that would love to have our job, especially now that UCLA is filled. We are the best major conference opening in the entire country right now.

Flip is no sure thing, that's true. Enfield is even less of a sure thing.

True. I remember when Glen Mason was hired. The hot name was the UNI coach. The next day Mason was hired. No muss, no fuss.

Dan Barreiro ‏@DanBarreiroKFAN 20s
@S_LYNGSTAD it 100 percent was offered. You can book that

Barriero isn't going to make that up after talking with Flip...

No, no, it was just a PR move. I sarcastically typed.

Man, you pro-Flip guys need to chill the F out. We are going to get a solid coach. Flip was not a sure thing, aside from helping raise money he was pretty high risk. Maybe we can make a run at Enfield now. I for one wouldn't mind watching his fast pace aggressive style of play in the Barn. There are still a lot of quality coaches out there that would love to have our job, especially now that UCLA is filled. We are the best major conference opening in the entire country right now.

We are probably going to get a solid coach. Flip would have lit this town on fire for the Gophers. If Teague gets somebody else that has those credentials then it's all good. I will never believe that Saunders turned down a reasonable offer. If he turned the job down at all it was a slap in the face job description. If they wanted to name his staff - then that's completely bush league.

Let's all step back from the ledge and let the process see itself through. Many scenarios are pure speculation. The University of Kansas hired the 2nd assistant at North Carolina after winning the National Championship and losing Larry Brown to the NBA, Roy Williams has turned out to be a pretty decent coach. Chill.

Let's all step back from the ledge and let the process see itself through. Many scenarios are pure speculation. The University of Kansas hired the 2nd assistant at North Carolina after winning the National Championship and losing Larry Brown to the NBA, Roy Williams has turned out to be a pretty decent coach. Chill.
I think it would be much more subdued if the big 3 didn't exist.

We hear rumors from what some deem credible sources (BTW, Myron is NOT credible and I don't think any more connected than I am to NT and he has an opinion we value? Ignore him, he is a useless hack with self importance way beyond his actual worth--thats all that needs to be said about that MYRON!) I'm not saying they are wrong, but I am taking them at face value. Have we heard ONE supposed coach that was offered speak about the offer or thank NT for consideration? Not that I recall.

Teague and all of his reputation on Villa 7 is on the line here. I think he has someone lined up. I really do and I think they are still playing. I don't think any of these "offers" have went much further than a call to their agents. I don't think he wanted Flip to begin with...it doesn't fit what he tells his Villa 7 people at all.

Its been 5 whole days...I'm willing to wait it out. According to some, this is exactly what NT was hired for. We shall see if he decides to kill his career here.

We hear rumors from what some deem credible sources (BTW, Myron is NOT credible and I don't think any more connected than I am to NT and he has an opinion we value? Ignore him, he is a useless hack with self importance way beyond his actual worth--thats all that needs to be said about that MYRON!) I'm not saying they are wrong, but I am taking them at face value. Have we heard ONE supposed coach that was offered speak about the offer or thank NT for consideration? Not that I recall.

Teague and all of his reputation on Villa 7 is on the line here. I think he has someone lined up. I really do and I think they are still playing. I don't think any of these "offers" have went much further than a call to their agents. I don't think he wanted Flip to begin with...it doesn't fit what he tells his Villa 7 people at all.

Its been 5 whole days...I'm willing to wait it out. According to some, this is exactly what NT was hired for. We shall see if he decides to kill his career here.
Flip was offered and turned it down, he isn't going on the record with that as of now. Barriero confirmed it.

Flip has his eyes on the Wolves GM and or Ownership gig. Not that big of a shock. Just like Shaka and Freddy were never a realistic option.

What does he tell his Villa 7 people?

If he made an offer so bad that Flip declined because of the conditions - then yeah it's pretty obvious that he didn't want him. This looks like an ego situation with Norwood. He is playing on the good will of Saunders that the full terms of his agreement never get divulged beyond rumor. If it fully comes out that NT wanted to pick Saunders staff (if that's true) - then Teague should be fired.

Top Bottom