All Things Tre Holloman Recruitment Thread (Class of 2022)

The reality has settled in for me that this is going to take several years. Some parallels to Whalen's start. She got Sara Scalia in her first class, who is a solid playe,r but not what people were hoping for as far as in-state. Now in her fourth year, it looks like Whalen has finally established the relationships as the '22 recruiting class is looking really solid and she's getting some top in-state kids. Gopher legend, former pro all-star, WNBA champ takes four years? Johnson doesn't have anything close to that pedigree but I'm hopeful he'll follow the the same trajectory. Problem is, I think there's a chance of him never really gaining traction and kids not seeing success on the horizon.

One or two kids with Scalia's recruit ranking sure would settle my nerves.
I was thinking this the other day. My concerns are the same as yours. One additional issue is I think Whalen has a much longer leash. Not only because she is Lindsay Whalen but also because the women’s program is less crucial to the department as a whole. She sells tickets and is beloved. By most accounts Johnson isn’t selling additional tickets, unless there was a massive jump in renewals or new ticket sales

That doesn’t read super well for our chances
I didn't really read anything in there that hurts our chances or lowers our odds. He said he wants to cut his list to 6 or 7 and when asked if anyone would for sure be in that list he named MSU, Minnesota, and Marquette. So we are right there in the mix.

Think the biggest thing with him is going to be which sport he picks because he almost certainly can't do both basketball and football at the college level.

I didn't really read anything in there that hurts our chances or lowers our odds. He said he wants to cut his list to 6 or 7 and when asked if anyone would for sure be in that list he named MSU, Minnesota, and Marquette. So we are right there in the mix.

Think the biggest thing with him is going to be which sport he picks because he almost certainly can't do both basketball and football at the college level.
GopherHole: What are going to be the main factors that make you pick School A over School B or C?

Tre Holloman: Probably just the coaching. Probably just the coaching. The head coach, see if he trusts me and if the place is a fit for me.

Tre Holloman: That was a great visit. It was a legendary coach, Coach Izzo.

Honestly the smartest play for BJ at this point, may just be to keep the door open for Holloman to transfer back home, if things don't go like he hopes/expects them to at MSU.

That is going to be a thing, more and more, as the portal is wide open.

Honestly the smartest play for BJ at this point, may just be to keep the door open for Holloman to transfer back home, if things don't go like he hopes/expects them to at MSU.

Especially as he potentially sits behind other lead guards at MSU for the first few years. I know they want Tre badly, but he’s not a need for them like at MN.

Given the last few comments, for those that have seen Tre play, how many years do you expect him to be at the collegiate level?

Given the last few comments, for those that have seen Tre play, how many years do you expect him to be at the collegiate level?
3-4. He doesn't shoot well enough to look beyond college yet. That can change, but it will have to change a lot. He's simply not very big given the NBA game. Not many 6' guys in the NBA who don't shoot the ball exceptionally well as it's difficult to guard anyone at that height. He'll make money playing somewhere, but the NBA may be a reach.

3-4. He doesn't shoot well enough to look beyond college yet. That can change, but it will have to change a lot. He's simply not very big given the NBA game. Not many 6' guys in the NBA who don't shoot the ball exceptionally well as it's difficult to guard anyone at that height. He'll make money playing somewhere, but the NBA may be a reach.
Good point, may be an argument for the football route.

Especially as he potentially sits behind other lead guards at MSU for the first few years. I know they want Tre badly, but he’s not a need for them like at MN.
Which guards are these? (Granted, I don’t know who their recruits are for this season) But given the lack of guard play last season, I think he would’ve started at PG last season for the Spartans

Good point, may be an argument for the football route.
One thing I tend to forget about him. Anyone know if football is a realistic possibility for him? If we can't get him to play basketball, I wouldn't mind seeing him suit up at DB for Fleck! Much better alternative than him signing for MSU basketball haha

One thing I tend to forget about him. Anyone know if football is a realistic possibility for him? If we can't get him to play basketball, I wouldn't mind seeing him suit up at DB for Fleck! Much better alternative than him signing for MSU basketball haha
Many folks believe he has a larger future in football than basketball. College basketball coaches seem to think differently. Quite often multi sport athletes pick the sport with the most games. Which one does he love more ?

Really, that's a strategy? Hope someone fails at another school so they'll come back here to play. Doesn't sound like a smart play to me, but these threads are for posting opinions and you certainly do post yours often.

Really, that's a strategy? Hope someone fails at another school so they'll come back here to play. Doesn't sound like a smart play to me, but these threads are for posting opinions and you certainly do post yours often.
Not to mention that the portal of this year will be different next.

Of course BJ shouldn't say "well I hope you fail!", and won't.

My point was mainly to not burn the bridge in any way and leave the door open, because there's zero reason to expect Holloman to pick us over MSU, if they're offering him and telling him this and that.

Of course BJ shouldn't say "well I hope you fail!", and won't.

My point was mainly to not burn the bridge in any way and leave the door open, because there's zero reason to expect Holloman to pick us over MSU, if they're offering him and telling him this and that.
The very best coach does what you suggest and have caught great players on the 2nd go around. Plus there are so many people involved and being dignified leaves a lasting and deep impression on the recruit,parents etc..

Holloman announces his final 6 tomorrow.

edit: top 6. I suppose it could change

Last edited:

Many folks believe he has a larger future in football than basketball. College basketball coaches seem to think differently. Quite often multi sport athletes pick the sport with the most games. Which one does he love more ?
Most pick basketball.

Two team race IMO. Get some MN players to commit and have them start working on Tre.

We need Mom as the lead recruiter!

She is very diplomatic and supportive on Twitter (even went after a MN “fan” for saying Tre is just another kid who is going to think he is too good for the U). She obviously will support Tre in whatever he chooses. She also appears to love Izzo, but also lots of love for her alma mater. What’s nice is that she has been tweeting about a few of the players that the Gophers are bringing in this week as they are starting to get noticed in AAU - Payne and Ola-Joseph. Hopefully her son is a fan as well.

Look I’m probably making this a bigger deal than it really is, but on tre’s comment section on his top 6 Instagram post, we see Jamison battle and Sutherlin encouraging the mn route. Normal, what’s not so normal is all of the Minnesota comments that tre liked, and I didn’t see one Michigan state comment that he had liked. Hopefully he won’t crush my hopes. Need him in the boat.

Top Bottom